Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel Reviews

Brand: Dermalogica

Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

acne is gone but not because of this stuff

I was hoping this would be the product that finally really cleared my skin. I wouldn't say that I had bad acne per se before I started using it but I had uneven skin tone, lots of blackheads on my nose and just kind of bumpy skin. It never felt beautiful. I bought the whole set when my cousin recommended it to me. So I am not really sure which of the products made my skin wig out. I got this stuff, the clearing lotion, the moisturizer and the mask. Anyway, I never felt a positive difference in my skin. My face never felt clean when I used it and about 3-4 weeks of use, my skin went nuts. Instead of the bad skin I thought was bad all my life, I suddenly had cysts, the 'volcanos'� I call them but they never burst, just painful and so so ugly. At first I thought it was hormonal and because it was my time of the month but things just got worse after another 2 weeks. I literally didn't want to go out of the house. I was so embarrassed. I ended up giving my stuff to my cousin because it seems to work for her but I didn't want to touch it. The second I stopped using it, my skin got less inflamed but somehow it just triggered this cystic acne I had never had before. So those kept popping up and I was getting desperate. I went to the dermatologist and was expecting them to tell me to get on meds but she surprised me and asked me if I knew of a brand called Ninja that a lot of her clients had been telling her about. Of course she offered to write me a prescription but I wanted to avoid that if possible. I called Ninja right away and actually spoke to a real person!! Had about an hour phone call with them. I really couldn't believe how long they were willing to talk about my skin with me. They gave me a list of products they would suggest for me, I bought them right away. And now, 5 months later, I finally feel beautiful. My skin isn't bumpy any more, I don't have blackheads and thank GOD my cysts are completely gone. Oh and did I mention I am now 3 months pregnant?! I fully expected to have a monster breakout but it never came and now people are telling me I am 'glowing'� which is wonderful to hear with my bad skin past. It's like a miracle really. So back to Dermalogica - try it at your own risk. I am sure it is ok for some people but it did absolutely nothing for me but bad things.

Holy grail cleanser

My fave cleanser ever. Before this, I was over washing my face because my face never felt clean and that was making my acne worse. Been using this solid for 2 and a bit years, occasionally in conjunction with the dermal clay cleanser also from Dermalogica. Amazing stuff, is so gentle but really does clean your face and helps calm everything down. Holy grail product.

Life Changer

I've had mild to horrible acne that worsens hormonally each monthly my whole life, and this face wash changed my life. My face is so oily in some spots and dry in others, and this product completely cleans my face but leaves enough moisture so that my face doesn't over-actively produce excess sebum. My husband is so happy because I no longer go to bed with sulphur treatment dots all over my face... because it's completely clear! I really can't believe it. Everyone is different, but from a person who uses expensive make up, and has tried everything from Proavtiv to Differin gel, this stuff is a miracle for me.

Comments

Special Cleansing Gel may not be suitable for acneic skin types.

Lasts for 6-8 months. Twice a day. Good lather. No salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide or sulfate. doesn't clear acne for most skin reacts when switching derm cleansers Expensive Many of my clients love special cleansing gel. I prefer the clearing skin wash for hormonal acne. I have had great results with the clearing skin wash. I switched to the special cleansing gel to see how my skin would react. I started it around my menstrual cycle and used it for 2 weeks after. I noticed that I had a continuous pustular break out on my chin and lower cheeks. I discontinued the special cleansing gel because it seemed to not work for me. It's so hard to recommend products to people because everyones skin reacts so differently even though people have similar skin types. I've had people tell me that they break out from Active Moist. It's an oil free moisturizer. It's frustrating. I say "just stick with whatever works for your skin"! I hope this helps.

Guest Pablo
Guest Pablo

No Scent Not Oily/Creamy Expensive Nice cleanser that leave skin fresh and never really dry. If left on the skin for too long can become drying over time. No scent is nice, and the gel doesnt feel greasy

Guest Chelsea
Guest Chelsea

Smelled nice Caused severe cystic acne around mouth Made skin itchy and dry My skin was far too sensitive for this product I used this product along with the moisturiser and oil control lotion - Within three weeks of use I broke out and it just kept escalating from there. The combination of using all three caused my light/moderate acne (as in, a few pimples every few weeks) to ruptured into painful pustules and huge, painful cysts all around my chin, mouth and cheeks. I'm talking cysts the size of 20 cent coins... they took MONTHS to go away. I had always been acne prone, and this was when I was 16 so I'm sure hormones also contributed to it - clean and clear made me break out some years before. But it was NOTHING like this. I didn't want to leave the house, look anybody in the eye, it was horrid. I'm sure this product will work for some people, but I will never touch this stuff again.

Guest Cormac
Guest Cormac

Very gentle No smell or colours. felt very refreshing large bottle Stopped working after a while Drys skin very expensive Needs to be used with other Dermalogica products to be effective Doesn't totally clear acne. I got though one bottle of this stuff and I was amazed by how good it was. So obviously I bought another bottle - which disappointed me. The second bottle of the very same product didn't work very well.

Comments

Gentle Cleared up some acne Mild smell Reduces redness Lasts ages Soft skin Dry skin Expensive Doesn't remove make up Very gentle and has a mild smell, which is good for sensitive skin. It's a bit pricey but lasts for ages. Helped to clear some of my acne after a few weeks. Unfortunately it doesn't cleanse well enough to remove make up.

Comments

Soft fragrance Foams easily Caused severe breakouts I never suffered from any breakouts and I only purchased this product to combat my oily skin. Within the three-week time frame that I used this product, my face broke out in very large, painful pimples that at first were isolated on my forehead, moved down to my nose, then around my chin. After I stopped using this product I had to aggressively treat my skin with BP for over four weeks to finally get my skin back to something that resembled 'normal'.

Guest Elle
Guest Elle

Best cleanser ever Noticeable clearing in a week Bottle lasts for months Consistent acne control Expensive I love this cleanser. You pay a lot up front but you only need a little to last for months. I had moderate acne but now I would say it is very light at most with occasional breakouts. It doesn't over dry skin but keeps oil managed.

Comments

- Deep cleans skin without over drying it - Makes my skin feel so soft - Only need to use a very little (size of a dime) - Strong money back guarantee It is expensive when you purchase the product but when you factor in how much you actually use per day, it is very reasonable! None I love this product. It thoroughly cleans my skin without over drying it. It literally feel soft afterwards! If you want a deal on it, buy it on [link removed]. They usually have a 20 percent discount code for skin care. The only draw back is you can't return it if you aren't satisfied.

Guest Ashley
Guest Ashley

cleans oil and dirt, smells fresh doesnt clean off makeup AT ALL, EXPENSIVE This product is so overpriced and not worth it at all. I have used expensive face washes and drugstore brands, and to be honest this is one of the worst ones I have used. It doesn't clean off makeup so I have to wash my face twice. This is a waste of money and doesn't do anything that my Loreal Pore Minimizing Gel Cleanser can't do for a fraction of the cost. :)

Guest Cindy
Guest Cindy

Cleared up majority of my acne, doesn't over dry, leaves skin feeling soft, fresh and clean. Cost- a little expensive but only a small amount is needed for every wash. Bought mine as part of a travel pack, paid $70 and also received toner, moisturiser, scrub and lip balm. The product lasted much longer than expect and it's the first cleanser actually reduced my acne without over drying. Initially, it increased my acne but since then I've only had a small pimple or two. If you've tried everything else, give it a go, it's done wonders for me!

Guest Sam
Guest Sam

Leaves skin feeling clean and fresh, doesn't dry out skin. The cost is a bit high I was told to use the Special Cleansing Gel and the Skin Smoothing Cream. I first noticed some acne starting to develop and my dermatoligst recommended these products. I have been using them for about six months and I have seen an amazing improvment in my skins feel and apperance. I have no acne and my skin is very healthy. I highly recommend this product to anyone who has acne or signs of developing acne.

Comments

Nice clean packaging. Pleasant natural smell. leaves skin feeling clean and not over dried. highly concentrated (it will last a long time) Doesn't seem to irritate my skin Hmm initial cost (although i feel this one bottle will last around 3-4 months) I was prescribed to use this Special Cleansing Gel and the Active Moist by the local skin specialist, and so far these two products have not shown much improvement to my acne, with that said it also hasn't caused any redness or drying and my acne has seemed to stop hurting. As well it has made my skin less bumpy and dry. I just hope that with continued use these products will start to improve my acne. Its still early days!

Comments

I used the Intensive Moisture Balance Cream. I was VERY pleased with this product because it cleared up my dry skin. I have dry, flaky, oily skin around my T-zone, and it clears up after each use. I apply it after I cleanse my face with a soap bar. A little on the pricy side. This product is VERY useful and it was definetly worth the $56.00 I paid at my local airport. I have combination skin (dry and oily) and this product instantly cured my problems. I apply it twice a day and have no reactions to this product. FOR ANYONE WHO IS DECIDING ON PURCHASING THIS PRODUCT, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT. :D

Guest Ginny
Guest Ginny

Nice packaging, doesn't smell too bad. This contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate, which is comedogenic. (Having read the rest of the reviews I'm now also concerned that I might be allergic to it!) I suspect it was the dosage of Sodium Laureth Sulfate that did it, but I had quite a severe reaction to this product. Within a few days my skin was tight and dry, then I had a really bad breakout all over my face (when my spots are usually just on my chin). When I stopped using it my skin cleared up again within a week. I thought I'd write up my experience so other people can be careful when using it - maybe it's best to test it in small amounts on your skin before you start using it just in case! Dermalogica are a great brand and have some fantastic products, unfortunately though this isn't one of them.

Popular Liquid