Dermalogica Clean Start Reviews

Brand: Dermalogica

Dermalogica Clean Start

Worked for quite a while

I am a 17yo with mild facial acne. Ok, so this stuff for me was incredibly gentle on my sensitive skin. I never had any burning sensations or anything. I started this when I was 15 and at first I didn't really see any changes in my skin. However, I felt like washing my face everyday was drying it out so I just washed it once every day. It took about a month for me to have the most amazing and smooth, clear skin. I was getting compliments all the time about how great my skin looked and it made me feel so confident. This routine for me worked until about 6 months ago when my skin just stopped being treated by it. Now I am on some stuff prescribed by my GP and I haven't had much success.

It burned my skin!

I used to use this all the time and it worked fairly well. Then, I ran out and started using a different oil-free face wash. Once I got more of the clear start, I tried it right away and the next morning, my usually clear skin had broken out horribly and in multiple different places all over my face. I figured that my skin was just getting used to the new face wash so I kept using it for about a week or two, but my acne just got worse and worse. I decided to go to my dermatologist to see what was going on and they told me that the product had burned my face and I ended up with 2nd degree burns under both of my eyes!

Waste of Money

Used this for almost 4 months and my skin has never looked worse. Before this product I used only tea tree oil and only had a few stubborn pimples on my forhead and whiteheads on my nose. I decided to switch and use clear start, but ever since I used this I have had an unbelievable amount of breakouts and acne on my face. The acne is now entirely covering my cheeks, and forehead and nose. Wished I never used this product.

Changed Formula :(

I used this product for over 5 years and it worked at keeping my skin clean , I had the only occasional pimple with that time of the month. Unfortunately they change the product and when I bought the new kit it didn't work the wonders that it use to. My face was adjusted to the old formula and loved it. I wouldn't say that the new one isn't going to work for yourself though. And i do trust dermalogica as a brand , so i tired another kit by them but t also didn't suit my skin anymore. Give it a shot though , no harm in trying.

Work in Progress

It's said to be true that when you use a new product for your skin, it can take up to 6 weeks for you to see if it really is starting to work. My 23 year old sister has a friend that lives in California with her and works in the "beauty business." My sister said she told her friend about my acne problems, so she suggested the "Start Clear" starter kit, it's slowly starting to work, I wash my face twice a day with the normal wash. Mornings I do normal wash and the the moisturizer/toner and I'm set for the entire day of school. Nights I just do the normal wash and apply the moisturizer/toner. It's really working well, I guarantee if you use if for a little while, you will start to see positive results.

Horrible

I have used it, in order to prevent further blackheads, my friends used clear start, my parents and their skin and acne went from bad to worst. Dermalogica makes a lovely climate contral lip treatment balm, but that's their only good enough product. I'm not trying to be negative and nasty, it's a fact

Happened to me too. Terrible.

Amazing!

Absolutely love this product. Have been going through hell trying to find a product that suits my skin type and would help to clear up my adult acne. My skin is not dry nor oily. This product started working from day one. It feels light on your skin and your skin feels natural, soft and healthy! A combination of this product, healthy eating (no sugar) and birth control and my acne is almost gone after 4 horrible months.

Great stuff!

I began getting acne when I was 13 years old and it was horrible. I would break out all over my forehead with huge red pimples, and on my jaw line a lot of tiny pimples. What made it even worse was that I had extremely oily and sensitive skin. I literally tried everything on the market, Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Mario Badescu, Dr. Murad etc. Nothing cleared up my skin and some products just made it worse. I began to lose hope until one day I went to Ulta and saw the system. It was (and still is) a bit pricey but I decided to try it anyways. It was one of the best decisions i ever made! I have been using it for a couple months and I began to see my skin clear up in about 2-3 weeks. My forehead, temples, and jawline are finally clear. I still sometimes get a couple pimples on my cheeks, but it is most likely due to hormonal reasons. Overall it has been super gentle on my sensitive skin and has helped A LOT.

Oh dear...

At the present moment, I am rating this product 1 star. My skin was like any other teens breaking out when stressed, due or when hormones were at their peak. A couple weeks ago my skin became relatively bad so me and my mum took a trip to dermalogica, the sales assistant recommened the clear start kit and guaranteed this would work because her daughter had a similar skin type as I and this is what had saved her from acne. I have been using the kit as instructed for a week now and my skin has never been worse, I am even breaking out in places I never have like my cheeks and forehead. This has made my skin condition so severe that I have an appointment at the doctor's on Monday.

Stick with the product, obviously you have never used topical acne treatment before. You go through a stage where your skin gets drier and you break out more, then a few weeks later acne really starts going away. ACNE DOES NOT, EVER, GO AWAY IN A WEEK. There is no "magic product" that makes your skin go clear in a single week. The product WILL work if you continue to use it, like any other product. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Hope this helped.

amazing difference!

my face has always had a lot of acne ever since the age of ten. I'm now still a teenager and I only ever used a few facial cleansers and i've found that neutrogena was terrible to my skin- it made my acne much worse, my face was going red and extremely dry. I also tried clearasil which didn't make much of a difference to clearing any of my acne. Then i started to use the clean start kit which made a massive difference to my acne. I started to see less pimples on my face but still a few occasionally. When they get really bad I just dab a little bit of salt on them and they go away in a day or 2. Overall the clean start kit is really good and I re-purchased it, then upgraded to the larger sized versions. One day when i ran out of the daytime treatment, i had to survive a few days without it which made more pimples instantly appear again on my T-zone.. so just beware of that.

dissapointed

Did clear up skin dry/itchy skin redness didnt work as hoped I was really looking for something to clear up my adult acne. I'm 26 & went in search for something that would work. This kit was recommended to me by a dermalogica person. I explained to her what my problems were & she said that this kit would be better for me because it has 2% S.acid than the medibac which is for adults. So I bought the kit used it as recommended. I used it for a total of 4 nights & 3 days. I did see clearing on my face. But!!! It started drying out my face horribly! I have very oily skin & for the last 3 days I've had no oil on my T Zone. The daytime cream burned every single time i applied it. My face would get and stay red (as if i had a sunburn) and it was hot to the touch and it stayed like that all day. My 7yr old pointed it out to me at WalMart 7hrs after washing my face. It made my jaw line itch. My face was tight feeling and started to flake. After 7 uses I am taking this kit back and hope to find something else to work.

Comments

Smells nice, but not a very good product

Smells nice Toner is a spray Drying Not good for sensitive skin I decided to try these products after some were used on me during a facial. They smelled wonderful and my facialist told me they were great for my skin type (mild/moderate acne, sensitive). I bought the whole set. After going through two sets of these products.. they just aren't good. The face wash is ok, but nothing special and made my skin feel really tight after using it. The treatments I don't feel like did anything at all other than dry me out. The moisturizer didn't moisturize enough to combat the very drying treatments. The toner was the only thing remotely useful. It's spray, so it's convenient for areas not on your face. Overall, previous bumps didn't heal (and the ones that did left red marks for weeks) and new ones kept forming even after I gave it a "time to work" period. These products have no other purpose than smelling pretty. Not on my skin, anyway.

Comments

Made my acne much worse!!

Smells nice Seems to clean face well Did not work on my face Made horrible breakouts appear Was not exfoliating, blackheads worsened I'm 24 y.o. and have had breakouts for at least 10 years. I used proactiv for a couple years, but it did not work as well as I wanted, plus it smells weird and the benzoyl peroxide bleached my towels and pillow cases, so I decided to try this Clean Start system. This system broke my face out worse than it had been in years!! I followed the system as directed, never skipping washes or steps. I have since stopped using Clean Start and started a new regimen but my face has yet recovered. Previously, I only had breakouts a few at a time usually all the time, but now it is broken out all over the place, and in great quantity, and I can't get it to stop!! My dermatologist is now suggesting a try a prescription system because the beakouts are so bad. The last time she suggested was not since I went through puberty when my face first started breaking out!!! Horrible!

Was it prescribed by a dermalogica skin expert? The Clean Start system has since been revised and it is now Clear Start. It is designed for teenagers, so maybe a different product would have been more suitable. I know I used to keep reaching for teen targetted acne products into my 20's, and nothing helped until I looked at is as adult acne.

Be Careful

I was originally very excited about trying this product, having had on and off acne for years. At first, it seemed to work wonders and made my skin feel smooth and clear. However after a couple of days, I noticed I was breaking out all around my cheeks (somewhere I never usually get acne) and as the week went on it got progressively worse. I stopped using it and tried products that had virtually nothing in them. I would just say be careful about buying it and perhaps get a sample before buying the actual thing at its full price because it is also quite expensive. It may work for others but it just didn't work for me.

Comments

It works really well on me...i have dry and oily skin. All i have to do is use it twice and it has almost dissapeared. There is alot of medicines to keep track of and it could be VERY confusing. It makes my face red after i use it and on open acne it can burn. Clean Start really does work on your face but just try to keep them all in tacked and you have to use them as directed or it wont work as quick.

Guest Allison
Guest Allison

-Cleared up little bumps on my face that the benozyl peroxide 2.5 couldnt -Easy on the skin, not harsh and wont result in flaky overdried skin -Wash smells really refreshing (like lemongrass) -Its expensive -Not easily available in some countries in south east asia Its really a good series that definitely helped to clear up my skin, when I had little pimples here and there (i used to have acne) it takes just 2 or 3 days before the pimples dried out and vanished completely. I always use the brighten up tan moisturiser with a little bit of medicated concealer in the day and realised that my face isnt as oily with the moisturiser as compared to other brands. No regrets, after trying so many brands and getting tired of battling my constant enemy (zits) this is by far the best weapon

Comments

It works great! I have discovered it works the Best when you throughly massage wash off it into your face for 1-2minutes i have done that for 2 days and my pores are noticeably smaller and less dirty. It's expensive. Other than that there is nothing I love it!

Guest Caty
Guest Caty

I've only been using this for a couple days and it makes my skin feel super soft. I noticed a difference the morning after i used it! It's amazing. I had little bumps all over my forehead that wouldn't go away no matter what i tried, and they just dissapeared! I'm so glad my friend recommended this to me because I have tried literally every acne wash known to man! I really like this stuff and it smells like lemons! Its really expensive and the 35.00 kit is really really small and is probably only gonna last me 1-2 months. You can buy the big ones seperately adding up to about 90-100$ It works really well but it's expensive.

Guest Glorie
Guest Glorie

Cute Packaging Lots of stuff Smells bad Expensive Worked on the areas where I had acne (forehead) but made me breakout horribly in places I have NEVER had acne before(around mouth, cheeks, nose, jaw)! This product made me hate my skin. And the pimples are so hard to get rid of!

Comments

Smells good Works great I do not like "Hit the spot" -Its a little expencive, so i would suggest finding the little sample packs before buying a full version. Other then that read the bottom for my story Well to start I havnt bought the item, yet. I went to a manicure salon and the women had lots and lots of dermaloica products and i saw the clean start line. I was immatienly wanting to try it, considering of all the reviews i had watched on youtube. There were a couple different samples, the mini square ones with abit of product in them. She had these three: -Bedtime for Breakouts -Hit the spot -Brighten up spf15 I've been using them for a few days. I used the bedtime for breakouts for the first time last night on two pimples that had just come. Now those pimples are clearing up and there drying out and clearing away, This by far is my favorite.... so far. The brighten up spf15 was a little suprising at first because it was a tan colour, i wasnt sure what i was supposed to do with it. I was also a little sceptical because it said "shimmer" && we all know shimmer is bad for oily skin but its a pretty great product. Its a great primer andit moisterizes good so i enjoy it. Now the "hit the spot" I do not like this. I do not like the smell or the way it goes on it hasnt done anything so if i would choose bedtime for breakouts or this, i would choose bedtime for breakouts. I am happy this does not come in the starter pack. So this is why it was free, I didnt buy anything yet because if im gonna buy something thats so expencive, I want to know that i like the line and that it would work for me. - I have oily, sensitive, *dry skin in winter*, ACNE PRONE skin.

Popular All-over treatments