Chemical Peels (general)

Chemical Peels (general) Reviews

Chemical Peeling for Acne Scars

What is a chemical peel? A Chemical Peeling for Acne Scars also known as chemexfoliation or dermapeeling, is used to improve the appearance of the skin. In this treatment, a chemical solution is applied to the skin, which causes it to "blister" and eventually peel off. The new, regenerated skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin. The new skin is also temporarily more sensitive to the sun. What conditions does a chemical peel treat? Chemical peels are used to treat certain skin conditions or to improve appearance. Fine lines under the eyes or around the mouth and wrinkles caused by sun damage, aging, and hereditary factors can often be reduced or eliminated with this procedure. Sags, bulges, and more severe wrinkles do not respond well to chemical peels. They may require other cosmetic surgical procedures, such as carbon dioxide laser resurfacing, a face lift, brow lift, eye lift, or soft tissue filler. A dermatologic surgeon can help determine the best treatment for each person. Chemical peels are performed on the face, neck or hands. They can help reduce: Certain types of acne Mild scarring Sun spots Age spots Liver spots Freckles Dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills (melasma) Chemical peels can also help skin that is dull in texture and color. Areas of sun damage, which may contain pre-cancerous keratoses that appear as scaly spots, may improve after chemical peeling. Following treatment, with diligent sun avoidance and sunscreen use, new pre-cancerous lesions are less likely to appear. Who is a good candidate for a chemical peel? Generally, superficial peels can be used in all skin types. However, patients with darker skin types have greater risks of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin). While superficial peels can be used in darker skin types, less aggressive treatments are advised to reduce risks of hyperpigmentation. How are chemical peels performed? A chemical peel can be performed in a doctor’s office or in a surgery center as an outpatient procedure. The skin is thoroughly cleansed with an agent that removes excess oils, and the eyes and hair are protected. One or more chemical solutions, such as glycolic acid, trichloroacetic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid, or carbolic acid (phenol), are applied to the skin. Before the procedure: Avoid tanning and direct sun exposure for 2 weeks before each treatment. Apply topical products (such as hydroquinone) as instructed before treatment to prepare the skin. Do not use any products containing retinoids (such as tretinoin) 1 to 2 weeks before treatment, unless your physician tells you differently. If you have been prescribed oral antibiotics or an oral antiviral medicine, you should begin taking those at least 24 hours before the procedure. Peel areas must be free of any open sores, lesions, or skin infections. Day of peel: You will need preparation time for washing and scrubbing. Additionally, you will also need time for any sedation (which is optional). Remember: Ask your doctor if you need to have someone drive you home. The procedure: During a chemical peel, the physician applies the solution to small areas on the skin. These applications produce a controlled wound, enabling new, regenerated skin to appear. During the procedure, most patients experience a warm to somewhat hot sensation that lasts about five to 10 minutes, followed by a stinging sensation. Cool compresses may be applied to help alleviate this stinging. A deeper peel may require pain medication during or after the procedure. What should be expected after the chemical peel? Depending upon the type of chemical peel, a reaction similar to sunburn occurs following a chemical peel. Peeling usually involves redness, followed by scaling that ends within three to seven days. Mild peels may be repeated at one to four-week intervals until the desired clinical effect is achieved. Medium-depth and deep peeling may result in swelling and the presence of water blisters that may break, crust, turn brown, and peel off over a period of seven to 14 days. Medium-depth peels may be repeated in six to twelve months, if necessary. You will work with your dermatologist to determine the depth of your peel. This joint decision can vary, depending upon the condition of your skin and the objectives of treatment. After treatment, some peels may require bandages to be placed on part or all of the skin that is treated. Bandages are usually removed in several days and may improve the effectiveness of the treatment. It is necessary to avoid over-exposure to the sun after a chemical peel since the new skin is fragile and more susceptible to complications. The dermatologic surgeon will prescribe the proper follow-up care to reduce the tendency to develop abnormal skin color after peeling. What are the possible complications of chemical peels? In certain skin types, there is a risk of developing a temporary or permanent color change in the skin. Taking birth control pills, subsequent pregnancy, or family history of brownish discoloration on the face may increase the possibility of developing abnormal pigmentation. Although low, there is a risk of scarring in certain areas of the face, and certain individuals may be more prone to scarring. If scarring does occur, it can usually be treated with good results. There is a small risk of reactivation of cold sores (herpes infection) in patients with a history of herpes outbreaks. This problem is treated with medication as prescribed by the dermatological surgeon. Your doctor may also choose to give you medication before, or immediately after, the peel in order to prevent a herpes outbreak. Prior to treatment, it is important for a patient to inform the physician of any past history of keloids (scar tissue overgrowth created at the site of a skin injury), or unusual scarring tendencies, listing of X-rays treatments to the face, or recurring cold sores.

Comments

Better, and hopefully almost there

I'm only rating this based off of my results with acne, but honestly it's a 5/5 stars when it comes to the overall health of skin, my breakouts are still coming but majorly reduced. I get really severe cystic acne (unknown cause, possibly hormonal), and I've tried so many products and nothing has completely reduced/gotten rid of my breakouts. Before my first peel all the way back in September, I used to get my worst breakouts on the sides of my face (near eyes, forehead, and my jawline and also on my cheeks). I had the absolute worst cystic acne I've ever seen. It was disgusting and even when my breakouts would subside for a while, it wouldn't matter because I had so much redness/discoloration/uneven skin tone/huge pores left over from every breakout I've ever had. I'd get breakouts that would last for months at a time and even when they'd finally go away, I was left with huge red/blue and even purple cystic spots. It's important to mention I was on minocycline for a year at this point and the damn dermatologist kept saying "yeah it's getting better, keep taking the meds and come back in three months". (Such garbage, I know). I thought my skin would never be the same again, but I'm happy to say that since my first peel I haven't had breakouts in certain areas of my face. Like I said, I used to get the worst breakouts around the sides of my face and my cheeks, and I hardly get breakouts there anymore. I haven't had any breakouts on the sides of my face or my jawline since the first peel. I can't even see the discoloration from those breakouts I had before and I never thought that it would get any better. The only place I am still having trouble is, unfortunately, the center of my face. I still get breakouts between my eyes, in my eyebrow area, under my nose (the absolute worst place ever to get a cyst) and I've had a few small ones on my chin under my lower lip. Though I still get breakouts, they're less severe, and they don't last nearly as long. This isn't the only thing I've done with my skin though, I think a combination of the peel and trying new skincare products have helped my skin but I don't think I could have made it this far without the peels. I've had four so far (I think) and I'm going in for another one this weekend to hopefully get rid of my breakouts for good. I have only been getting Vi Peel though, no other brand.

Is it useful for red acne scars??

Chemical Peels to Treat Acne Scars

Chemical peels have been a lifesaver! I used them to treat hyperpigmentation leftover from pimples and small icepick scars. I don't think this would get rid of acne. I went to a esthetician to do mine. Please please please don't buy your own and do it yourself! You are giving yourself a controlled chemical burn and if you don't know what you're doing (which you don't) you can burn your face! It's not worth saving some money. The at home peels don't work as well either so you're wasting money. You need a trained esthetician to evaluate your skin and reccomend the best strength peel for your scars and to perform it correctly. Google chemical peel burns! You get them done once a month and for me it took 3 peels to fade the majority of my scars. It costs $150 each peel which is expensive but it really is worth it! I'd rather pay a lot of for a professional to do this correctly rather than save some money but potentially burn my skin. For really dark scars I used some scar fading creams along with the peels and my scars are now all faded. I don't need to use concealer anymore! I swear by peels, they are a god send!!!

What type of peel? Light, medium, or deep?
Which scar fading cream u r using??

Didn't work for me.

I was really really excited to try this. I even bought 5 different chemical peels "sample size" to try on my face. In case if one won't work at least the others will do !!. of course, u have to be very careful with this and start with low percentage if u want to try it on yourself at home. actually the peels came with clear and easy instructions to follow. I bought the mandelic acid 40% and 4 others. I tried the mandelic for almost 1 month and half. and i was getting breakouts everywhere. i was telling myself this is the purging effect and i was expecting it and ready emotionally and physically for it. then i started getting acne on my forehead, my temples and near to my mouth. i rarely get acne on those areas. so i was like what is happening! . i was really hopping that this could work it's magic and tadaaa clear skin.. but no !. so i just stopped using it.. i tried two other different peels and the exact same thing happened. it might be just my face doesn't react nicly to chemical peels or the brand. I don't know. However, once I stopped using it my face returned to its normal state with the same amount of acne i was previously getting. so if u want to try this, i would say go for it. it might work for u. but keep an eye on your face. if it gets worse and worse even after 6 to 8 weeks just discontinue using it. plez note; that the chemical peels did remove some old dead skin layers. P.s: skin type: oily / very sensitive skin type with some rosacea bumps appearing after using somthing that is not suitable for me..

Comments

not really worth it for cystic/hormonal acne :/

I've gotten a chemical peel twice and both times have really done nothing much except for the areas where I didn't have any acne anyway Basically, if you wanna get rid of scars or huge pores or black/white heads, then yeah, by all means this works. It did dry up the pimples and cystic acne I had, and it came off, however, after those were peeled off, I saw brand new ones underneath. Like yes, it'll take your current pimples out, but if you consistently get acne, then there would be new ones underneath. Basically, after both times, my skin still wasn't anything close to being clear. As tempting as it is I do not want to go through a week of that again. Not quite worth it

Comments

Great for ice pick scars

I had several ice pick scars treated with deep tca peels. It worked. My rolling and box car scars I have yet to treat. The downside about high strength TCA peels is that it took 5 days to heal. My skin was pink for a few weeks, but by the 4th or 5th week, my scars were definitely shallower. Would recommend this treatment.

great at clearing acne

I've been using a 30% salicylic acid peel once a week for about 3 months now. I remember the first time I used it, I thought it was an absolute miracle product! All my acne had practically dried out and was gone the next day, my skin was not oily whats so ever and the overall texture of my skin just looked amazing. These amazing results lasted for a while but soon enough it was like my skin just got used to it. While I still have acne, it definitely isn't as bad as it was which I think is the result of these peels! I probably need to go up to to 35 or 40% to get better results once again but with almost a whole bottle of the 30% left, I want to try and use that up a bit more. I'd definitely recommend anyone suffering from acne to try a salicylic acid peel. Just make sure you follow the directions that come with your peel 100% as you don't want to end up with a chemical burn or something even worse! If you have really sensitive skin also make sure you start of low on a 10 or 15% peel then go up from there gradually as your skin gets used to it.

Comments

Don't do a peel if you have freckles!

I had a TCA chemical peel 5 years ago to help even out my rolling acne scars on my forehead and cheeks. I have a ton of freckles and was concerned that the procedure would get rid of them. I was informed that it would soften them but that the pigment is still in my skin so they will come back when I'm exposed to the sun. It has been 5 years now and my freckles still aren't fully back. It looks like I have horrible discoloration! The worse part is that the freckles are still visible below my eyes and around my mouth because they didn't do the peel below the first layer of skin. It just looks terrible. So if you have freckles, DO NOT get a TCA chemical peel. It's just not worth it. (The peel helped the rolling acne scars for about 6 months and then was right back to where it was before)

itsjustnotfair

Pretty happy with the results

I've and am currently using a Glycolic acid 50% regiment (9 trials so far) and have to say am quite satisfied with the results. Not only has the product helped with my acne scars, but has improved my complexion overall. My acne isn't as prominent as it used to be, which is great.The fan brush and chemical peel only cost me $20.00 on amazon, so its quite cheap. A bottle will last at least 3-4 months. The only downside is the pain; if you have sensitive skin it really hurts. Exposure time is between 3-10 minutes so you're just looking at the clock anticipating applying the water/baking soda mixture to cool your face off. But once you've tried it a couple of times and you're skin adjusts, you'll be fine. Very important that you apply a sunscreen (I use SPF 60) after using the product, your skin is much more sensitive to UV light. Also don't pick or touch your skin.

Comments

Results were not immediate.

I am 29 and have been battling acne for more than 10 years due to pcos. I came off birth control pills about 2 years ago and needed some alternative treatment as a preventive measure. My concerns now are oily skin, some discolourations and occasional breakouts. The derm suggested alternating between microdermabrasion and light chemical peels every four weeks. I did not see any difference at all till the third chemical peel and this was about four months after I started this programme. The derm also gave me 10% AHA cream and acne gel to apply every night, which also didn't do much for my skin. In fact I thought my skin was looking especially dull during this period. Everybody also told me the same. I am however quite pleased with the results after the recent chemical peel. I am happy I continued going for the treatments but I wonder if it is normal to see results until much later since my peels were light? My skin now is radiant, the discoloration and most of the milia seeds are gone and no blocked pores.

50% lactic acid peel

I have just completed 50% lactic acid peel myself at home nothing changed a lot and still my breakouts are on going as usual.after peel can I used benzyl perioxide foam wash to control the breakout

Comments

Great for ice-pick, bad for active acne ...

I've bought bravula londoners 30% glycolic acid peel + neutralizer... After 4 uses, once per week as on the instruction.. (please use SPF 30 or greater EVERY DAY and don't use exfoliants, retionoids or BP while doing peels) I've notice huge impovement for hyperpigmentation and moderate improvement for icepick/boxcar scars. I highly recomande this for those who overcame acne.. But not for those (like myself) who are STILL FIGHTING ACNE, because the peels sensitize the skin and you cannot use it for long period of time.. And dry and irritated skin heals slower AND GETS SCARS.. So, if you are acne-free, Go for IT!

Hi Have you ever had a food intolerance test done? The number 1 cause to acne is food intolerances. Go to the doctor and get a test done then eliminate those foods and you will notice a huge difference!

Pricey

I've gone to a few places to have chemical peels done but I have not gone enough times to see any results. I personally think they are way too expensive especially at doctor's offices so I prefer to let my scarring go away on its own.

Comments

Improvement of Acne Scarring!

Reduces reddness Improves scar appearance Expensive Slight discomfort I used to have very sever cystic acne which left me with a lot of red, pitted acne scarring. My dermatologist recommended I try chemical peeling to reduce the appearance. I just completed my sixth peel today at the highest (70%) concentration. It's made a notable difference in my scarring - the texture hasn't improved so much, but the redness has definitely reduced. For those who have very sensitive skin, make sure you start at a very low concentration, I know my first peel was on 20%. It is a little uncomfortable, you can expect a tingly, prickly sensation, but it shouldn't feel like it's burning, that means it's been on for too long or the concentration is too high for you. Also, it is fairly expensive. I think home peels are cheaper, you can buy them online. However, having had enough skin issues I didn't want to risk messing up, so I have mine done at a cosmetic clinic and it's about $90/session. Overall, I definitely recommend! And the main advice I'd give it to make sure you keep your skin well moisturized (especially the day of and few days after your peel) and always wear sunscreen.

Comments

FINALLY! I have beautiful skin!!!!!

Brighter, tigher more radiant skin Clears Acne Helps diminish old scars Can tingle during peel, but nothing too bad I'm a 25 year old female who has always suffered from embarrassing breakouts. I've tried anything and EVERYTHING to clear my acne (washes, scrubs, vitamins, diets, cleanses, ect.) and nothing has ever worked even though I eat healthy and drink nothing but water every day. I purchased a 30% Glycolic Peel from Amazon a while back and had no idea how this would change my life. My skin is flawless! It cleared all of my breakouts and even softened the scars. I recommend that you do NOT do anything over 30% to start with, and pleeeeease do your research before doing one on yourself at home (youtube is very helpful). In my experience, despite the name, my skin has never actually peeled and has just been soft and supple immediately after the peel. It is important to moisturize your skin for several days afterwards and to only perform a peel no more than once a week. Be patient, because it may take time (until the 3rd or 4th peel) to see dramatic results. Acne is a very personal and devastating thing to deal with, so I encourage everyone who suffers as I did for so many years, to give this a try. You have nothing to loose.

What peel from amazon did you use?

Very effective if combined with a healthy diet

Evens skin tone. Very effective against cystic acne. Helps redness and scarring Peeling for up to a week. When I first discovered chemical peels I was skeptical, but after doing one about every two weeks for the last three months, I can honestly say they have changed my life. My acne has almost disappeared on my forehead and checks. I now see hope for my scaring; the redness and hyper pigmentation on my face has been greatly reduced and my pitted scars are shrinking. To get the most out of chemical peels, you have to have very low stress, proper sleep, and a healthy diet.

Comments

Chemical peels work to an extent

Cleanses the skin Prevents many future breakouts Very expensive Does not get rid of all the acne Something you have to keep up with I have the typical hormonal acne that comes with The teenage years. About once every month I go to get a chemical peel to calm my skin down and to get rid of all the filth and dirt on my skin. It does do a fantastic job of cleansing the skin and keeping the acne under control...for the most part. It does not cure me from the acne completely, but I have a gone a few months without getting a peel and my skin looked terrible. It is something that you have to keep up with and can be very expensive.

Comments

Indifferent. Expected a lot more.

Improved appearence Improved texture Pore reduction Slightly faded scars Not worth the amount of money Quick background: 27 female, acne sufferer for 8yrs. Acne has moderately cleared up from stopping birth control, yet I still have awful scarring. I went to an esthetician for a series of chemical peels consisting of 2 lactic acid, and 6 glycolic acid peels. In total I spent over 800 dollars (Including gratuity). For the money I spent I am not satisfied with the results. I have seen an improvement in texture, redness, pore size and overall appearance. However, my scarring (which is what bothers me most) is still quite apparent. It has reduced, but not 800 dollars worth. I honestly feel that using lemon as an exfoliant and scar reducer on a daily basis would give me the same results. A few things that helped me: Cut out dairy and red meat! Drink more water - seriously it helps! And for me the source of my acne was hormones so birth control seemed to make it worse.

Hi MzManda, I am also in my twenties, and got horrible acne when I was on BC. (Which is ironic, since I went on it to try and control my acne - tried about 4 or 5 different ones and they were all awful.) I wondered if you had tried spironolactone? I was pretty wary to try yet another 'hormonal solution,' and I'd much rather go the natural route, but it seems to be working for me so far. If you are still having skin issues, I would give it a try. :) (And I wholeheartedly agree - dairy and red meats can be key factors in exacerbating acne.) Also, I've been using Differin (3%) for a long time now and my derm said that should help speed up the healing of scars and discoloration. Best, R
To Kazuri, for BC I just know that it helps to have BC that has both progesterone and oestrogen rather than BC that has only oestrogen. To MzManda, lemon is acidic and I don't think that's a good thing in this case. I wouldn't recommend using on the face at all or even hair.. topical products used at home with acids like glycolic in them etc would be better.. There's this moisturiser I love by an Aussie brand called 'Alpha H'.. the product name is 'balancing moisturiser and gentle exfoliant' but you have to use it with a sunscreen on top.. As for the scar indentation I'd recommend looking into dermal needling.. I haven't tried it yet but so far it seems to be more effective and safer than what I consider to be very risky 'fraxel laser' treatment.. We're still learning about dermal needling at the moment.. the one I think would be most worth the money (if you're going to pay a professional) is the Max RF.. which is dermal stamping but it shoots radio frequency into the follicles?? at the same time.. I think the RF kills the bacteria or something like that.. You can also use a dermal roller at home but you have to do your research so you don't do more damage.. I think anything less than 5mm just means your skin will absorb products more but its .5mm minimum to make any difference to scarring and sanitation is essential.. If you read about it you'll see why..
Guest Zilla
Guest Zilla

This product has really helped. I can already see a difference after three weeks. Burning, small amount of peeling with what I use. I have been reading the reviews for chemical peels, and I see how much people are willing to pay, and people with light scarring usually aren't aware that you can do a light weekly peel for around $10 a bottle for at home use. I use a 20% SA peel that I got on amazon, and it is reccomended that you use it once a week MAXIMUM. For heavier SA peels (like 30%) you need to wait ten days in between, so on and so on. I canot speak for glycolic acid, or other acids for that matter, but SA has helped my scarring while also helping obliterate my acne (I( have a fair amount of scarring because I was a chronic picker). Do some research online, and you will find that many people are saving money by doing light peels at home. I DO NOT reccomend doing anything higher that 30% at home, and remember: SUNSCREEN, SUNCREEN, AND MOISTURE! If you dont keep your skin moisturized, it will take longer to recover and your skin may crack.

Hi Zilla, thank you for sharing this. What does SA stand for? Salicylic Acid?