CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion Reviews

Brand: CeraVe

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion

Caused breakouts and clogged pores

I heard awesome things about this and decided to give it a shot for a month. On my skin, this broke me out tremendously (I have no clue why :( ) and gave me so so many whiteheads even though it is supposed to not clog your pores. Sadly, this made my skin so much worse :(

Best Moisturizer EVER!

I follow a dermatologist on youtube, Dr Dray. This is what she recommends and it has been a life changer. It has ceramides in it to help reinforce your skins natural barrier. Studies have shown that people with acne have low levels of ceramides. It is so light and leaves the skin perfectly moisturized. I have tried so many different skin care products and this just might be the best.

Is it also recommended for an oily acne prone skin type?

Not identical to the Cerave PM facial moisturizer

Just an FYI- i see a ton of ppl saying this is identical to the Cerave PM facial moisturizer-- it is not. The facial moisturizer has Niacinamide in the main first ingredients, which is an extremely beneficial vitamin for skin. I know a lot of folks like using this, but I recommend using moisturizers made specifically for the face--- on the face. This does not say its a facial moisturizer anywhere on the bottle, and i think Cerave created ones for the face for that specific reason. Just because ingredients listed are close and the same, doesnt mean its identical and formulated for the face vs. the body. Also want to add, over the ten years Ive used DKR's BP etc... ive learned that just bc a product has a highly listed and ranked comedogenic ingredient doesnt necessarily mean you'll have a bad experience or that you shouldnt try it. It may give you no issues-- everyones skin is different. One of the daily moisturizers Id been using for years had Isopropyl Isostearate as the main ingredient which is one of the highest comedogenic ingredients-- never gave me issues. I had no idea until I looked on here but had used it for years- no issues. So dont be afraid to try things to see if they may work for you. Just some thougts!

Comments

immediate cystic acne/skin rash that was red and irritated beyond belief

by recommendation I purchased this (and stopped using my HG Kheil's wash and lotion) in order to save money. this lotion was okay the first two nights but gave some slight itchiness through the day. by the third day I woke up to 3 whiteheads 2cm wide and redness through the rest of my face. I gave the lotion the benefit of the doubt for 1 week and used it twice a day. NOPE. my skin is the worst it's ever been this year and I will throw this CeraVe lotion away.

mail it to me!!! don't throw it away

Helps balance my skin.

I have combination skin. My t-zone gets very oily while my cheeks are normal/dry. This is not thick of heavy at all; it's very lightweight and glides onto the skin. It does take a few minutes to absorb, but once it does my skin feels so hydrated without looking greasy. I can use this at night or in the morning under make-up. Using this along with their other cleansers have really helped me balance out my dehydrated, oily/dry skin.

Absolutely LOVE this!

This is my first review on here but think this is definitely worth it! I have moderate to severe acne which is mostly cystic and have had for about 7 years now. I will be going on accutane/isotretinoin on the 30th of August so I have decided to start my regime early! I have purchased this moisturiser due to all the good reviews and feedback on blogs, vlogs and threads for accutane. I have been using this just over a week and the difference is unbelievable!! My skin feels so much more hydrated, it is not greasy at all and it really does what it says. It creates a moisturising barrier for your skin so your skin really feels protected. I find it is a great base for makeup and feels like it doesn't let the makeup sink into my skin and clog my pores. I have found I don't even need to use a primer!! Also the difference I have noticed is my skin feels much more plump and my acne scars seem like they're fading. I am using this in conjuction with Cetaphil gentle cleanser which I have noticed soothes my redness however this moisturiser seems to soothe even more! My skin looks a lot less irritated, less red and my hyper-pigmentation is diminishing. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask :) I am going to be doing frequent posts on my profile about my accutane experience which I hope helps any other people out there in limbo over taking accutane or on the same journey as me :)

May I know what cleansers and toner you are using? Thanks!
I have tried the cetaphil cleanser before and i didn't feel like it was effectively cleaning my skin. i am now using neutrogena's hydro boost gel cleanser and it's amazing. it's super gentle, removes my makeup, and leaves my skin feeling plump. i have hated ALL neutrogena products until i tried this. i also use the cerave moisturizer and it's the BEST.
I use the Cetaphil gentle cleanser to wash my face, and apply benzoyl peroxide on my acne, do you think it is recommended to use this moisturizer even if I have an oily acne prone skin type and this says normal to dry skin?

amazing loton

I have combinaiton (easily clogged skin) and I use this on my face. I think it is one of the best creams I have ever used. Recently went back on Retin-A for wrinkle reduction and to battle clogged pores. In the past, I have found that the first few weeks on Retin-A are rough: dry, chaffed, peeling, red skin. But this time, I have had no problem b/c I have been using this lotion which is incredibly light but seems to soothe and moisturize exceptionally well. It's also been the dead of winter with extremely low tempatures and my skin doesn't feel dry at all. A-m-a-z-i-n-g and so cheap.

Comments

The company changed formula.

I've had great succes with cerave lotion with coral kavi. I started using this lotion since 2011 and had a great skin that was glowing. However, after buying a new bottle in september of 2015, i started breaking out in random places that i normaly don't break out. My regimen didn't change for 4 years and i was wondering what could have been the cause. First i thought my soap just stopped working. I kept using this lotion with different acne treatments and my situation only got worse. So i had to track my product history and decide what was causing this sudden breakout. Found out, cerave changed the company and the formula! You can google it and see what people are saying about this. The ingredients look the same from the previous bottle but the company changed it and didn't let the customers know because they were afraid to lose their customers. If you have been using cerave, you will notice bottle used to be smaller. It just kept getting bigger bigger and bigger every 2 years or so. This lotion is very comedogenic. Especially people with combo or oily skin, avoid this product.

Good for a little bit..

I've been on Dan's regimen for awhile now. I have hormonal breakouts once a month, or more if I've strayed from the regimen. I liked the moisturizer from the regimen, despite complaints I see others have. It's light, makes my skin feel soft, and of course, no breakouts. But after 7+ months of following the regimen, I was still peeling like crazy, even after I used less BP. I switched to the CeraVe lotion in hope that it'd help, which it totally did. The dryness and flaking stopped immediately. But yes, there was a catch. After 2-3 weeks of use I broke out horribly. And I did notice a waxy layer on my skin that caused some irritation. I would gently scrape the side of my cheek, and this weird waxy substance appeared under my fingernail. I understand this probably helps with hydration, but it suffocates my skin. I'm sure this lotion works well for others, but not for my sensitive, acne-prone skin. I reordered Dan's lotion which I'll use during the daytime, then probably switch to a Cetaphil lotion for night.

And as a side note, Dan reviewed this lotion and mentioned that some ingredients in the CeraVe lotion can clog pores, if that helps your decision!
hey! has this helped with breakouts!? I switched to cerave because of dry skin but i think its causing my breakouts!
t-dawg

Best moisturizer I've tried so far

I feel like this is the one only that doesn't break me out even though you can get a oily feel from it if your combo or oily but I don't breakout from it I don't think so it mosituers well and it's great buy!! Starting to like this prouduct line.

Not Good For Oily Skin

This is thicker than the CeraVe facial moisturizers, but not as thick as the Cetaphil moisturizer. Besides the thickness, this is extremely identical to the CeraVe PM facial moisturizer. This absorbs well, hydrates well, and does not have a shine, or leave the skin pale. It moisturizes much better than the Acne.org Cleanser. When applying over benzoyl peroxide, the moisturizer can clump. This is not completely avoidable, but allowing the benzoyl peroxide to completely dry, along with gently rubbing a generous amount helps. After the moisturizer dries, brush off the flakes. If you have oily skin, this moisturizer could be problematic for you. As I mentioned above, this moisturizers very well. People with oily skin will experience over hydrated skin, leading to increased shine and breakouts. Also, over the course of a couple weeks it will build a waxy layer on your skin that cannot be washed off (but will eventually subside when use of the moisturizer stops).

I disagree, I have severe oily skin and cystic acne. This is the only moisturizer i have found that I can use, as it is think it is not heavy or buttery, it absorbs nicely and last all day. This is the month six of use and I do not have excessive oily skin anymore, still fighting cystic acne but with this moisturizer and the Cerave face wash i no longer look like an oil slick, it has also helped my skin pigmentation, i really find this lotion amazing for my oily skin and would recommend it.

Like an ex you keep running back to ;)

My derm recommended this moisturizer to me several years ago and it's the one thing I can say saves my skin. Any time I stray from it my skin reminds me of what it really wants! Then I keep going back... Used morning and night (I live in the desert w 0% humidity and hard water so hydration is a must for me) it helps w the dryness and flakiness I've had w any acne product. I started Dans regimen 8 days ago and just couldn't stick w his moisturizer. It was still leaving me a scaly mess! And it broke me out so much. I just switched back to Cerave and can already see the difference. Hopefully this w dans cleanser and bp will finally be the perfect balance for me. As frustrating as it is to hear, you really have to try a product for yourself before you know if it works. Certain ingredients will work for you and some won't, and reading 1,000 reviews isn't gonna change that. Listen to your body, be gentle (like Dans advice!) take everything you read here with a grain of salt, and don't stress too much!

Almost perfect! Just one flaw... OILY SKIN INDUCING

OK! So, this moisturizer kills dans (for my skin type.. I have beach tan semi-sensitive skin) Dans always kept my skin feeling dry and flaky no matter what! But, this product makes me skin feel sooo nice and comfortable. I only use this at night when I put benzoyl peroxide because it's the only thing that can take the dryness away. In the morning it's just cleanse with Cerave Hydrating Cleanser and moisturize with Neutrogena oil-free moisture. Ok now here's unfortunate flaw.. it makes me so freaking oily. I mean it's okay because I'm just sleeping with oily skin but could that cause more acne? If anybody else gets the same results as me from this let me know. Hopefully you have solutions :)

Comments

Made me break out everytime

This moisturizer made me break out every time I used it. I was hopeful because of all the positive reviews, but if you are an acne prone teen like me, I would avoid this product. Even Dan reviewed and said it caused acne, so I definitely would not reccomend it.

Comments

Soothing and great moisture.

I love this lotion, this is what I used every day before I started Dan's regimen. I now use his lotion on my face but I still use this for my neck it's less sticky and absorbs nicely. It feels great going on to as well.

Works for me!

Let me just start by saying i have suuuuper dry skin. I got a sample of this moisturizer from the medi spa I go to. I like it because it actually goes into the skin and makes my skin feel hydrated and comfortable, versus just sitting on top and making my skin feel sticky and dry. I will definitely purchase a bigger bottle.

Love this stuff!

Moisturizing Not greasy Absorbs well Pricy in drug stores. While taking Claravis I started to get dry patches on my skin, almost like eczema, that were absolutely miserable. My dermetologist swore by this lotion (which was not available in many stores just yet) and he bought this stuff directly from the manufacture to sell for cheap to his patients. I was only paying about $8 if I remember correctly (versus the $15 in the store these days), so it was worth a shot. It helped so much!! Haven't found another lotion that gave me more relief, and I continue to use it post Claravis!

So lovely!

lightweight, feels super good on skin very inexpensive makes my skin feel perfect none at all I switched to this lotion after acne.org's moisturizer just didn't work out for me. I was flaky and had extremely dry, hard patches from the bp and it only took two days for this stuff to get rid of those. It is very light and hydrates very well for me. I also found that it goes on very nicely. Some people say that it balls up a little, but I've never had that problem with this lotion (but perhaps because I only use 1 pump of bp once per day). I am actually just completely in love with this moisturizer. It feels so good on the skin, absorbs well and makes my skin sooooo unbelievably smooth. It really has helped perfect the texture of my skin. It wears well under makeup and the 12oz bottle will go a nice long way. I've also not had any problem with it clogging my pores despite the combination of red flag ingredients. I'm sure that they might make some people break out, but it seems I'm not particularly bothered by them. Long story short, I got million dollar skin for about $10.

Dan

Seemed good but clogged my pores after 2 weeks

Highly moisturizing Thin viscosity Inexpensive Clogged my pores A few people asked me to try this moisturizer so I gave it a go. Whenever I test products I do my absolute best not to change any other variables, so I just did The Regimen exactly, but swapped out Acne.org Moisturizer for CeraVe. For the first week it was great. CeraVe has a very light feel going on which is welcomed because thin products reduce physical irritation during application. It also looked fine on my skin all day and didn't make me shiny like some other moisturizers have. It also is very, very good at moisturizing. I could use only 1 and 1/2 pumps of it for my entire face and neck and stay hydrated all day. However, it has Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol prominently listed on the ingredient deck, so I was a little worried it would clog my pores. The combo of these 2 ingredients, which are very often used together, rank as a 4 out of 5 for comedogenicity (potential to clog pores and cause acne). Since I know it can take about 2 weeks for acne to appear, I just enjoyed the product for the first week and well into the second week. Then wham. I got some pretty bad clogged pores around my nose...both sides of my nose and under my nose as well. The look was a "thickness" to my skin, with the beginnings of what would be stubborn breakouts starting to come on. This is exactly what I would expect from a pore clogging product. Once I realized at about the second week mark that my skin was clogging up pretty badly, I stopped using it. That night I slathered on Acne.org AHA+ (10% glycolic acid) in place of moisturizer, and by the next morning I woke up looking much better. For the next 2-3 days I applied Acne.org Moisturizer mixed half & half with AHA+ and got my skin right back to normal and clear. I'm giving CeraVe 2 stars only because it does not work well within The Regimen and from my experience is not good for acne-prone skin. As a general moisturizer for people who are not acne-prone, I think it's great.

I'm extremely acne prone and this stuff works for me!
I have acne prone skin and this seems to be doing a swell job after a month!. It could be because our skin types are different because from what you said, this makes your skin not oily and feel great. Unfortunately this makes me oily. acne.org moisturizer makes my skin feel really dry and flaky along with around the same amount of oiliness as this product (Yes I've even put a very generous amount with jojoba oil.). It clears my skin up, though. I've been on this regimen for almost 2 years. I stopped for 2-3 months to see if my acne ran it's course but I broke out so much my face is covered in scars now :(. I'm back now though! But this time I'm using a different moisturizer and maybe I'll switch cleansers too, not sure yet. I'm really happy to see you reviewing products! I was skeptical if this really was you ha! You still saved my skin, Dan. Thank you!

Popular Dry/Sensitive