Betadine (Povidone-Iodine) Reviews

Brand: Betadine

Betadine (Povidone-Iodine)

Only thing since Accutane to help!

I've suffered from terrible acne since the 7th grade, and the only thing to improve my skin has been Accutane. While I was on it, my skin was clear, radiant and balanced rather than broken out and oily as before. This lasted for several years and my skin is STILL in way better condition than before, however, I've noticed break outs recently and the return of oil production. I stumbled across Betadine on a plastic surgereon's Instagram actually and so I decided to give it a try. It's cheap, easy to use, and best of all, I ordered it straight to my door. Now, with FABULOUS results, I have been using Betadine for about 3 weeks. I ordered the topical solution at 10%, not 7.5%, from Amazon. My morning regime consists of lightly scrubbing my face with PanOxyl and (this sounds weird but...) sea salt. Then, with a cotton ball, I apply the Betadine solution all over my face. Don't freak! It comes out as a vibrant orange brown! I let it dry for about 30 minutes, and I apply my makeup like usual on top of the dried solution. It seems discoloring but actually washes right off. You can do this at night if you don't wear makeup and find it more suitable. The improvements have been drastic- my skin for the first time since Accutane feels soft and clear. The oil production has calmed down, and hopefully soon, I won't have to wear foundation!

Cheap and it works!

I am a nurse, and I can tell you that Betadine is used every day, several times a day, by surgeons from fingers to elbows, scrubbing with a harsh plastic brush for 15 minutes before surgery. If it was dangerous they would not do this. It probably isn't marketed because it is CHEAP compared to all the other products out there. I have been fighting Rosacea for a few years and the recommendation was oral and/or topical antibiotics. Betadine is a topical antimicrobial! I mix it with my Cetaphyl gentle cleanser and gently scrub before bed for a couple of minutes with a buff puff, then rinse. This clears it up within 2-3 days and then I use it as maintenance every 2-3 days. Yes, some is absorbed but if you eat food every day you ingest iodine from the salt that is added to everything. If you have kidney or thyroid problems, best to check with your doctor first for regular use of Betadine. Otherwise, it has to be at least as safe (or safer) than oral antibiotics! I have enjoyed the improvement in my skin and not having to go to the dermatologist.

EXCELLENT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I use this in shower every morning and when i take one at night (especially after work or something, a long day). after i started using this, even the next day (i had this huge zit that was infected) started to go away.... it came to a head the next morning... i thoughht maybe coincdance. tried it again, every time i get something, i use this, and if it doesnt just go away, itll come to a full head and you can pull it out. instead of pushing, pull your skin away from the infected spot... then after it comes out, gently push and the rest if any will come out. this is amazing, tho i heard its not good long term for health, you may wanna look into that. i have not. i would rather deal with it cause everything kills you eventually.

Comments

Good overnight spot treatment for inflamed/infected pimples

The smell only slighly, but come on if your on this site you have obviously smelt and used much worse. Obviously the orange colour, but seriously screw anyone who is gonna judge you for using this! Best used at night to clear all the bacteria you've accumulated through out the day. After using it as a spot treatment and mask for 2-3 months, it worked great at the beginning but just blocked my pores from breathing properly over night. 50/50 treatment but not the best. Best used as a spot treatment for inflamed and nasty infected pimples - then when they are healed a bit better put benzoyl on them and they are gone :)

if its good why only 2 stars?

Good for healing

more pros than cons! watery can stain clothes I put this on two zits the other day and they reduced dramatically in size. I've been putting in on a huge area of cystic acne that's been there for about 2 months. It's not helping as well there, but it will work on the normal pimples. I like it and it's non-drying and doesn't really sting or burn.

Iodine

Please educate yourself about iodine before using this, especially if you are pregnant!! Iodine is absorbed into the blood stream, through your skin. It is a really important mineral, our bodies only need a small amount, and we don't produce it naturally, within the body. Many countries passed laws in the early-to-mid 1900's, adding it to salt because populations weren't getting enough of it. Some say we still don't. Too much iodine (in the body) can cause SERIOUS, long term health problems! I'd like to try topical iodine myself, because it seems to have fascinating healing properties - but I won't until I know for sure how much iodine I already have in my system, through a blood test. Applying Iodine to small areas seems much safer than spreading it all over your back, like the one reviewer.

just so you know people in japan consume hundreds of times more iodine and live long and healthy lives, this idea that you can easily consume too much iodine is propaganda
Transdermal absorption of iodine is pretty safe, plus studies show inadequate iodine during pregnancy produces children with lower IQs. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23706508/
Guest Neelie
Guest Neelie

* Not expensive ($7-8 for generic) * You don't need a lot * It's runny (but you can mix it with facial cleanser to apply) I have been prone to cystic acne, but am now dealing with large pores in the T-zone of my face, and excessive oil in that area as well. Mixing generic Betadine with my Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser 2X per day has amazingly put a stop to that. I also apply a small amount of alpha hydrox Enhanced Lotion (approx. $10 online) on my face twice per day, right after cleansing. I can't believe the improvement! I wish each and everyone on this site sincere triumph over acne. God Bless!

thats EXACTLY what i use and how many times i use it (sometimes once a day tho), i dont follow up with a lotion, i use CLEAN AND CLEAR COOLING daily pore toner, and Neutrogena advanced solutions NIGHT treatment one only at night. AMAZING results and VERY FAST!
Guest Jessica
Guest Jessica

Clears skin Great spot treatment for new bumps Halts cysts that are beginning Makes skin soft Smell takes some getting used to Makes skin very oily I have used Doxycycline, Ive been on birth control, I have tried ProActiv, I have tried pretty much EVERY OTC product to clear my cystic acne. I cant remember how I came upon the idea of using Betadine, but I thought I would take the risk. What was the worst that could happen? Make my acne worse? I started using it and broke out slightly for the first few weeks. But I kept up with my regimen of washing every night before bed and now, 4 months later, I cant believe the results! My skin is very soft and I very rarely have breakouts! If I do have a new pimple or cyst, it is hormonal. Every niht I mix 4 drops of Betadine wit 3 pumps of Cetapyl for oily skin. I lather my face and use a face buffer to lightly scrub my face. After washing my face, I pat dry and will dab on some Betadine onto any new small spots, let it dry, then I apply VapoRub over it. They both work together to calm and dry any new spot and sometimes pulls it to a head. I cant say enough good tings about Betadine. It is the ONLY thing that as ever worked this wonderfully. I will continue to use tis product until a doctor orders me not to. I AM ACTUALLY CLEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I WAS 11!!!!!!!! :)

Comments

i guess according to posts it clears acne -antiseptic -kills cells -chemical -not getting to root of problem which is internal. Ok guys didn't know if you know this but this is no different from alcohol, BP, butt creme, hydrocortizone, or any other antiseptic germ killing chemical you put on your face.You might as well put on clorox. Yes it will clear you up but what it does is kills your skin cells so in the long run you are doing more damage to yourselfs. just thought id let you all know. Use as a quick fix but seriously chnage your eating habits and live to love your body...much better results + a million...

This is wrong, actually. Iodine is an element on the periodic table and it is also a necessary nutrient for survival. This is why we added it to salt - not getting enough iodine results in goiter and mental retardation in children. It is already naturally in food like fish and seaweed as well. It also does kill germs etc., and should maybe be diluted with an oil or cream before putting it on the skin, but it actually does heal the skin, not damage it. I've had a lot of success with it removing scars and healing breakout spots and reducing my breakouts so far. But it is a well known nutrient. A little google searching would have turned that up.
@smoze2 Please explain about this: "what it does is kills your skin cells so in the long run". tnx
Guest Analeigh
Guest Analeigh

-Significantly reduces inflammation and acne -Dries out skin (perfect for oily faces) -May be too drying for some people (Not for me!) I add a few drops to my cleanser in my hand and wash my face with it morning and night. The most important thing to do is let it sit for a few minutes, if not longer. I let it sit while I brush my teeth and put on deodorant. I haven't had any break outs since I've used this and my face isn't an OILY MESS. By the way, I bought the generic brand from Rite Aide because it was a few dollars cheaper. It works great.

Guest Lena
Guest Lena

Easy to find. Can be used with different lotions or cleansers. Helps with open acne. Doesn't clear up small pimples or bumps under skin. Very liquidy. I was pretty excited for this after reading the reviews, however it has made no significant change in my skin. I do not suffer from severe acne but I have pesky small bumps that stay for a while and the betadine made no difference on them. This may be a solution for someone with severe nodules, but it's still pretty frustrating to have these stubborn little pimples. I have tried adding it to my cleanser and my moisturizer, but it made no significant change. Hufff back to the drug store I go!

i have the same problem, mine is not cystic acne,, it is small tiny bump and it red when i pop and after many days it turns to dark spot, i have this 3 weeks now, first i though it was just sign that my period is fast approaching or hormonal should i say, but until now i have some tiny little pimples, i am now starting using cetaphil cleanser diluted with concentrated povidone it will observe what is goes for me been using this 2 days now.. to have a face problem is very stressing... if i can talk to this tiny pimples, i want to tell go somewhere in my body not to my face.. by the way.. i am in first month of birth control diane35...

Ok here is the best thing I am 35 and had acne for years now..... I know I found what works wash your face with cetaphil face wash 3 pumps in your hand then add 2 drops of Iodine then mix in your hand and wash and let in stay on your face for two min.... that's it none ........... It will not dry you out and no coloring of the skin P.S use it one time a day :-) O and you will see your face clear up in a few days

Comments

-Fast acting -No visible side effects -can be diluted to where its not visible -excellent -possibly drying, not for me -careful if using in the day, may look slightly orange I have been using betadine for a month or so for small papules and whiteheads. It is the most effective thing ive used and my sensitive skin has had no bad reaction to it =D. In addition, my blackheads are pretty much gone as i use it undiluted at night and diluted to a mild orange in the day. When you dilute it with water, it absorbs into the skin well and that strong color does not show up. I use this in combination with a baking soda and water scrub at night + a gentle extraction tool. I also take two apple cider vinegar pills, two odorless garlic and one vitamin c pill per day. This takes care of the breakouts from the inside out, best regimen i've ever had. =D

Guest Jay
Guest Jay

see results overnight no more new acne clears up face removes zits brings swollen acne to a head i would have to say not even one I started using this product 4 days ago so it might be too early to review but i have to say my skin looks soooooooooooo much better. saw overnight results in getting rid of acne and over last 4 days my skin has really cleared up. No more new acne. Touchwood! I swear by this product. I have had ance since i was 16 and I am 19 now and in past 3 years i have used sooooo many products... I must have wasted hundreds of dollars on products that didn't do SH*T but seriously i hope this product doesn't give up on me. I swear by this product. I would recommend it to everyone. I seriously wanna do a campaign all over the world to tell everyone how wonderful this product is. I LOVE IT! for god sakes try this product before you waste money on other products...Also best way to apply is mix it with oil free mosturizer that way no one can even tell...

Guest Jess
Guest Jess

could tell a difference over night very runny and watery try it. I am doing this in combo with hydrogen peroxide on zit heads. Overall, this is a great combo and doesn't irritate the skin. I have very sensitive skin. I mix the betadine with my moisturizer, it comes to a light yellow and acts as a good tinted base moisturizer. I have a nasty habit of touching my face and I think this counteracts my naughty habits. I could tell a difference after 24 hours. this with hydrogen peroxide is genius.

Comments

It works 100%. I've tried dozens of things for over year for my ever worsening bacne and semi lesser shoulder acne. I wish I would have tried this MONTHS ago, I've only been using it for a week and I have ZERO new acne, only dark spots that are still healing or have unfortunately scarred. But never the less, my bacne had me covered up and insecure for a year, dreading ever being in a bath suit or any situation someone might see. I wish I had a before and a before and after pic, PLEASE try It's REALLY orange, like Jersey Shore skin Kinda messy Buy it. I use Cetaphil lotion, and mix a little bottle full of half Cetaphil and half the Povidone iodine (by the band aids and witch hazel at any CVS/Rite-aid/drug store). The bottle i bought is actually a pretty good value because I've mixed it with the lotion, it'll last a long time. Just shake it and mix it up, and yes it will be SUPER orange and kinda soupy/watery, but hey it's working for me. So i just take that mixture and after the shower rub it on my back and shoulders until it's soaked into my skin pretty good. I shower at night so i can put in on and then put a big sleep shirt over it so i don't have to worry about it staining my clothes or sheets (which hasn't happened so far, but it is an obnoxious color). Like I said, it's been a week, and besides a few dark spots, I am ACNE FREE (cysts, black heads, the whole shabang)

Popular Household/Natural