Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Reviews

Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals

Never. Again.

When this product hit Sephora around 2010, I was SO excited to try it. My skin was pretty clear overall. Let me tell you the ONLY pro to this product to me... It gives flawless coverage without feeling like you have any makeup on at all. I LOVED it. But after about a week, if that, I noticed bumps all over my face. I stopped using it... they went away. Throughout the next 4-5 years I had kept on repurchasing it thinking it would be a different story... but each time I would develop cystic acne. All over my face. I read into it a bit and I do believe it is a mineral they use called Bismuth Oxychloride. I find this is in many mineral foundations, except Physicians Formula. So while I have to admit, I loved the way it felt on my skin and how it looked... I must be tragically allergic to this Bismuth character and for that reason- I'm out.

Comments

Allergic reaction / broke me out

Used the conpact version of this and it gave me the worst cystic acne I ever had all over my cheeks :( ( it looked when I first tried it though ) returned it for the loose " standard" version but it also broke me out and is itchy and dries the skin. Meh.

Comments

Great. (If you have perfect skin...)

This foundation is amazing-if you have flawless skin. Unfortunately, I do not. It does do a really good job of evening out your skin tone but doesn't do much at all at actually covering a spot or pimple. Also, it only works on oily skin. Although it is still a better foundation than others as it doesn't make my skin any worse.

Good coverage, light

I do recommend this product to whomever is considering it. I found it to be light enough to mask the sheen that appears mid-day yet non acne aggravating, which I appreciate and need in any makeup. That said, I do try and wear minimal minimal makeup so while I may like it, people who like a heavier coating might not find it as appealing.

disapponted

I have really tried to get this to work for me, but it just looks awful no matter how it's applied. I tried the #1 light, the 1.2 fairly light, and the 2 med, none of the colors were a good match to my skin tone. Besides the color this powder magnifies any problems with your skin. Made my pores look HUGE no matter if I applied a little or a lot. Also settled into fine lines around my eyes I didn't even know I had. There is a lot of shimmer in the powder which to me looks very "fake" and unnatural. Seriously, unless you have near perfect skin, I just don't see how this foundation works. I tried the mineral veil that came with the kit which was good at controlling oil, but made me look pasty. This also made my skin feel tight and itchy. The only good thing about the kit I ordered are the brushes. Oh, and it's extremely MESSY and will end up all over your vanity. I wouldn't recommend this foundation to anyone.

Best I've tried so far.

I've been using bare minerals for years. There was one day I forgot to buy a new one and I had to buy something random from there drugstore, and you can definitely tell the difference. When I first got acne as a teen i would use mac, covergirl, or something i'd try at the drugstore. I always felt it made my skin worse. When I switched to bare minerals I could feel a difference because it didn't feel so caked on my skin, and it didn't seem like it was clogging my pores and in turn making my acne worse. If my acne get worse it's usually from other factors and not this make-up (i've been using it for years so that's what i'm assuming). The only time it has a cake-y look or feel is when my skin is just dry due to me trying to control a breakout with products or a change in regimen. If you want something that's light weight and controls redness (it really does a GREAT job at that!!!) try this.

Comments

great for oily acne prone skin.

I have acne prone skin and have suffered for years until i used bare minerals. The only gripe i have is that the coverage is very light but the more i use it the less breakouts i get so the coverage at that stage doesnt overly matter. Iv tried other makeup and end up reverting back to bare minerals. I recently bought estee lauder double wear which gives awesome coverage but again iv got a face full of spots :-( bare minerals all the way for me!!

Awesome!

I love this product! I have lots of acne and i want to cover it up with makeup that does not clog my pores. This is that product! I recommend every girl that has acne to get this brand of makeup and also its purifying facial cleanser to gently clean your face.

Comments

Foundation is great, contour is not!

I have been wearing Bare Minerals for so long and it has never made me break out. But since my face is naturally red, I decided to use warmth as a blush instead of a red base color. Over 2 weeks, I've noticed that there were pimples only where I put warmth on. I then went back to sephora to try a compact bronzer from Bare Minerals. I still break out only where I put it on. Guess I will return and look for a different brand for contouring.

A must have

Bare minerals products are basically the core of my make up arsenal. When my skin is clear, I can get away with just wearing the mineral veil. If I get a breakout, I bust out my blemish remedy mineral powder. My favorite though is their blemish remedy spot treatment/concealer. I buy that stuff on the regular.

Acne

I got told to use your product . Since I have been on bare minerals my face has become worse ! I used the deep cleanse face wash and blemish remedy . I've also used your original powder . My face has never been so ( spotty) it is not worth the money !

[link removed]

Love It!

I used this for a while and absolutely loved it. It doesn't break me out and actually helps reduce my acne. It's brilliant for reducing Hyper Pigmentation, scars and marks without looking flaky! I would definitely recommend watching the DVD first so you know how to apply flawlessly.

Comments

It works...for a short period of time

First of all, in order for me to use this it had to be a good day for my skin (meaning that it was not super dry/flaky). If it was a little bit flakey (as can happen from various products and just acne prone skin in general) it would bring out of the flakiness even more. So on dry days it was a no no. On those days when I did use it, I personally found that my face got oily REALLY FAST underneath it. So my whole face would be so shiny. If I hugged someone taller than me the foundation would end up all over what they were wearing. They have a mattifying version of this product and I found that one a tiny bit better. In a nutshell (for me): -brought out flakiness -made my skin get really oily -not worth the money, IMO.

Bismuth Oxychloride is a problem ingredient in Bare Minerals

I began using Bare Minerals soon after it became available 10 years ago. Just within the past 3 months I began to notice having Acne and even Cystic Acne. I did not even have severe Acne as a teen!! I am 60 yrs. of age and loved the product until now. If you choose to use this product just be aware it can cause severe skin reactions after many years of use with no problems. Now I will have to throw away almost $100. worth of product due to the ingredient of Bismuth Oxychloride.

I have had the same problem. I never had acne as a teenager and have been trying different foundations as I got older, I am 47 and have been using bare Minerals loose minerals for years. I recently decided I wanted to try the Ready Compact foundation and now for the first time in my life I have breakouts all over my cheecks andlower half of my face. Very dissapointing that we have to waste our money on a product that has ingredients in it that ruin our complexions. Time to look for something else or try swithing back the bare minerals loose foundation which never caused me problems.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those who say this product doesn't cover well most likely aren't applying it correctly or using the concealer over the foundation. I have very dark red acne marks and I use Bare Minerals everyday and get perfect coverage every time. The foundation is meant to be buffed on very softly. Also, take your time until you have the base you desire. Then you go over the problem areas with the concealer and blend well. You should be able to get the coverage you want no matter your skin type. Remember to cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize every day with a product that works for your skin type. Completely understandable if the product makes you itch, creates cystic acne, or irritates your skin. Then don't use it!!!! I'm just saying the coverage is wonderful when applied correctly!

Love !!

I used to use this product everyday then I stopped so I could experiment with liquid foundation. I couldn't find a liquid foundation that worked with my skin and didn't clog my pores so now I'm back to using this product!! I love to a lot, it just doesn't give me the coverage I'm looking for. If your looking for a full coverage foundation this is defiantly not for you. But if your looking for a lightweight natural look I definitely recommend this product. Also if you suffer from acne or clogged pores this product is worth trying out.

Not great

This foundation settled into my pores so quickly and highlighted them, making me look unsightly. I would love to use this when my skin is clear because it requires a minimal application and I don't have many dark marks to cover.

Comments

I REGRET buying this product.

My skin was always pretty nice, a little pimple here or there' nothing too bad. As soon as I started using this product my right cheek broke out in clusters on cystic acne. This happened in February.. it's now MAY and I'm still dealing with getting rid of the cysts / HORRIBLE dark purple/brown hyper pigmentation it left behind. I also have some scarring. This product ruined my skin. I've googled this product and it seems to give so many other people cystic acne. IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN. STAY AWAY.

I have had the very same thing happen to me! I have also been dealing with this since Feb. and it is now July. Just this week I made the switch to Clinique at the advice of two friends who had great luck with their skincare and makeup.

Great stuff :)

Good coverage, light, do not need to use much. Comes in wide variety of shades. Does not cause me to break out. Kind of pricey. May need to use something else around eye area, as the powder is not ideal for this area. I love this makeup. I usually absolutely hate powder because it doesn't last me through the day and I need to cake it on to get any coverage. This is the one exception I have found. Not only does it give coverage without having to cake, it stays, and in my opinion looks better as the day goes on and it settles. Word of caution: I use this on top of a BB cream because my skin is easily dried. ( I recommend Garnier brand of BB cream for those of you who have this problem, I use normal formula, not oil free which I find tends to discolor and doesn't help with drying) Stops shine from the moisturizer and keeps my skin protected. I've been using it for years. It's never broken me out.

Comments

Finally left this behind.

Coverage Easy application Itchiness Clogged pores Obvious I was wearing it I have been using bare minerals for as long as I can remember. The coverage is excellent, the application is easy. I've had trouble skin since high school and have oily acne prone skin. I've tried all sorts of solves until one day I realized that it was my makeup. I didn't even really like how it looked on me, you could tell I was wearing powder. It made my skin itch when it was warm out or I started to sweat and clogged my pores! It took me forever to realize that this was the issue, not my skin creams and washes. So girls with oily sensitive skin: I've tried it all. This product is not for you

I have been using bare minerals as well through-out high school and had moderate ache. Well am now 22 and have horrible cystic like ache. Can you tell me what make up you did switch to? I am finding I have tried many cleansers as well and starting to think it is now my make up all these years. Thanks

Not as great as it seems

shades are pretty good theres the original and the matte version for people who don't like shimmer doesn't cover well even though its a powder it looks overly dry somehow I saw so many ads showing how amazing this was so i brought it and was pretty disappointed. It didn't seem to cover enough and if i tried building it up it looked so dry and cakey and very noticeable. I haven't had any problems with breakouts from it. I now use this as a light powder over a liquid foundation since it just didn't cover enough. My skin is a bit on the dry side so I might re-try it when my skin is back to normal and see if that makes a difference. The Jane Iredale pressed mineral powder is definitely a way better option even thought its pricey its worth its money.

Comments

Finally something that doesn't make me breakout

Doesn't make me breakout Feels good on skin Color Selection Drying I've used this for a few years and it's one of the only makeups I've found that doesn't make me breakout (the only other one is Garnier BB Cream). I wish they had a few more shade options. I'm always between the fairly light and light so that's kind of annoying and it is a little drying, but like I said, I haven't found very many options that my skin likes so I always come back to this.

User174136

Decent coverage, great for my skin.

Blurs imperfections Helps to fade hyperpigmentation Looks completely natural Even the normal version is matte - well, it is a powder Can oxidise to an orangey shade when using too much Doesn't cover blemishes fully I noticed an improvement in my hyper pigmentation and overall skin texture when using this. It's never broken me out or blocked my pores and looks natural, giving just enough coverage to make me feel comfortable. The added SPF is a definite bonus. Just don't try to sleep in it - sleeping in make up is bad for you, no matter what cosmetic companies may say.

Popular Powder