Bactrim/Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Bactrim/Septra (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) Oral Antibiotic

Works at first then acne comes right back!

Over the last 8 years, I have tried pretty much everything like everyone else one this thread. Name it. I have tried it. Proactive. R&F. Mario B, Thomas Roth, Kate Sommerville, chemical peels, drugstore stuff, the 'water only'� treatment (BS by the way), changing my diet, drinking more water. It makes my brain tired thinking about everything I have done and tried to get clear. This was my last resort because I really never wanted to do prescription medication to clear my skin.I had only heard and read terrible things. the side effects. The fact it doesn't work. All that. So I was scared but after so long with nothing else working, my confidence was in the dumps. I went to a dermatologist and they prescribed me this - 2 pills a day. For the first week, I noticed a definite clearing but then wham! The side effects kicked in. I broke out in hives all over my body, had a fever so bad that I couldn't get out of bed for an entire week. I was really hesitant to stop the bactrim because I saw results for the first time in a long time. I called my derm, they told me not to worry, that the fever was likely just an illness. So I kept doing it for 3 more weeks. My fever went away as did the hives but I had a persistent headache and dizziness for that entire time. It was really unnerving. Oh and did I mention that around week 3, my clearing stopped and did a complete reversal? HUGE breakout, unlike any of the breakouts I had had before. That was really the kicker that made me decide to stop and see if the bactrim was causing my headaches. I stopped and literally within 24 hours, I was completely back to normal. But with worse acne than before! hahah. All in all a pretty crappy 4 week experience. Recently I found something that seems to be working though' found it through some online forum, someone mentioned Ninja Skincare and how it worked really well for them at 4o+ years old. Sounded a lot like me and my skin' who would have thought your skin gets bad for the first time in your 40s?! So I gave them a call and I love this brand. Love it. The customer service is so top notch - I aspire for my own company to have customer service like theirs. And the best part is that my skin is clear! It has been 2 months now and I don't even have to wear any makeup anymore and my scars are fading. So that is my two cents. Trust your gut and don't get prescription medications. The side effects are soo bad. Much worse than what you read the potential effects are. There are topical medications that work, you just have to do your research I guess. And find something that works for you! Good luck friends!

Be Careful!

So wanted this product to work that I didn't realize how much it was not working until it was too late. Gave my daughter horrible infected acne lesions that were still there a month later. If you decide to try this, I suggest taking a close-up picture of your face each week to evaluate how it is going. If your acne is getting worse, call your dermatologist.

The devil!!!

Bactrim is probably the worse medication I have used. It does that job, but the side effects make you want to pull your hair out. I have a fever, chills, joint pain, stomach and lower back pain. I was prescribed to take Bactrim 2 pills a day for ten days. I only made it to five and now I'm did. I will try something else.

Comments

By far, best antibiotic for acne but be careful

Ive had severe acne for around 2-3 years now and have taken all sorts of creams/ antibiotics. Some working better than others but none truly clearing up my skin. This was my last choice before having to go accutane because this was the last antibiotic i hadn't tried yet so i was hoping for the best. Within the first week, i already saw amazing improvement and was extremely excited. Around my 3rd week of taking it, i fell incredibly sick. Hives everywhere, back of my throat inflamed to golf ball, sore all over my mouth. It was literally the most pain ive had in all my life . Had to get sent to the ER where a full team of doctors did tests on me to make sure i wasn't having a severe allergic reaction that could kill me. Turns out i just had normal virus that was activating all the symptoms of the anti-biotic. So they made me stop for a week and my virus went away on its own. They couldn't conclude that i was allergic to bactrim so they said i can go back on it but they dont recommend it. I went back on it right away without consulting my derm cause the results i was getting were just too good to pass up and i was willing to take the risk. 4 months later, this pill is still working like magic. Face is soft and smooth as a baby and no symptoms at all. I also have a strict diet since eating dairy/junk food even on this pill still caused to break out a little bit. I would recommend this for anyone but be careful. Im still amazed with the results every day. This pill has saved my confidence

Comments

Last summer I suffered from a horrible acne breakout going into my first year of high school. Out of my friends I was the only one dealing with massive pimples all over their forehead. I know this sounds over dramatic, but I just wasn't myself and I lost all confidence. The Dermotologist put me on Bactrim and I have never felt better in my life. I started seeing results after a couple weeks but major results in a couple months. I honestly had not one little pimple on my head. It was such a relief to have this work. I've never felt better about myself. Definitely recommend!

Loved it

I took bactrim with duac and retin-a and I had amazing results. After the initial flareup, my skin was clear as day and my skin tone was even as well. My skin hasn't been that clear since I started puberty over 10 years ago. I took a break from the treatment to see if my skin would be fine on its own and it wasn't. Unfortunately, even though I've repeated the exact same treatment, I have never achieved the same results I did as the first time I took bactrim.

Take with caution.

Dermatologist put me on Bactrim DS, to be taken twice a day with food. No side effects in the first few days and did a good job at clearing up my face. Was ecstatic to see that it started working so quickly! Currently I am on the 9th day and experiencing severe side effects. Fever, chills, extreme joint pain, muscle weakness and overall sluggishness. Also experiencing difficulty breathing, a tight chest, headache, and dizziness to the point of almost falling over, for no reason. The most severe of the side effects is the joint paint. Can hardly take a step on my right leg and cannot lift anything with my right arm. Bactrim does it's job however at the expense of your health. Please do your research before starting this drug

Good Stuff

Bactrim is the only antibiotic that got my skin back to almost clear in about 2 months. After 2 weeks of taking the medication, I stopped getting any underground pimples and only some superficial whiteheads every once in a while. It gave me no side effects and I luckily did not have an allergic reaction to it (which is something you really need to look out for when on this medication). I am weening off of it now that I started Isotretenoin about 20 days ago (1 pill a day) and I am really glad I had this in my system when starting accutane because my IB was very manageable. However, contrary to reviews I read on here, it took about 3-4 weeks to fully work for me rather than a week like some people have experienced. I would also like to mention that minocycline and doxycycline failed for me, so this was a real miracle worker in my eyes because other antibiotics made my acne worse it seemed.

Works, but be careful

I have struggled with moderate/severe cystic acne off and on since I was 12 (I'm now a 31 y.o. female). A few years ago I started Bactrim. It completely cleared my skin within 3 months. I enjoyed continued clear skin as long as I took it - about 2 years. I stopped taking it about 6 months ago because I would like to become pregnant, after which the acne returned. If you take this drug, please also take a probiotic as it can cause damage to your gut, especially over long-term use. I'm currently seeing a naturopath to restore my gut flora to a healthy state and hopefully heal my skin naturally. Gut imbalances can cause/worsen acne, so be careful.

Comments

Great at first but loses potency

I got horrendous cystic acne on one cheek when I was seventeen. I tried nearly every topical treatment under the sun and saw no progress. I was first prescribed doxy, but it gave me really bad GI side effects so I quit that after only a week or two. I got a dermatologist and was prescribed Bactrim. After about a month, it was working spectacularly. My acne was all but gone (mild breakouts with one to two pimples) and the scarring was starting to fade. I stayed on Bactrim, lowering the dosage from two pills daily to one. I felt great about myself and my appearance. However, fast forward six months. My acne started coming back, slowly but surely. Eventually, my cheek was back to being covered with acne (just in time for college, of course), despite the fact that I had started taking two pills again. My derm then prescribed me Solodyn, which did not work AT ALL. I went back to Bactrim and saw a little improvement. I went to my primary to get birth control, thinking that it may be hormonal. I should have researched BC more, I think, because I was prescribed the mini-pill due to my family's history of breast cancer. However, I was not informed that the mini-pill actually CAUSES acne. I started breaking out way more on my jawline and the opposite cheek. Now, after two months on the mini-pill, my right cheek (the initial one) is completely clear except for scarring, but I have four or five cysts on my left cheek. I'm going back to my primary to try and get on a real BC pill, despite the risk because my periods are irregular as well, leading me to believe that I might have some sort of estrogen deficiency or androgen surplus. My derm keeps pushing accutane, but I'm a collegiate athlete and can't afford the joint pain and muscle weakening that are common side effects of the drug (not to mention that my mother is not supportive of it in the slightest). So, yeah. I'm still taking Bactrim, but I still have moderate acne. tl;dr Bactrim is an antibiotic. Eventually, the bacteria will develop an immunity to the drug and it will stop working as well. Keep that in mind. That said, nothing else I've taken has worked as well for as long.

Comments

Works great, but please be cautious of side effects

Just wanted to give a review on Bactrim because I have a love/hate relationship with it. About 7 years ago I had a mild-moderate winter outbreak and after dealing with it for a few months my dermatologist put me on Bactrim. It cleared up my skin so quickly, like a week or two, and I took it for about 7 months until it slowly stopped working. I didn't break out horribly I just stopped taking it and my skin broke out mildly, in fact I don't even really remember it being a big deal. Fast forward to 2013 and I took Bactrim again for a month prior to Accutane, only for a month and it nearly cleared up my horrible, HORRIBLE acne, fast. Unfortunately this winter I had another mild winter outbreak, like 5-10 active small pimples at a time but very persistent. I went to my dermatologist and started up Bactrim, within only a few hours I felt awful, painful anxiety and truly felt like my heart might explode. At first I thought it was all in my head, because me derm warned me that this drug could kill me (she wasn't very sensitive about it, but was just being honest). I wasn't making it up in my head. It was truly the worst anxiety I could have every even imagined. I felt like I was going insane and it was only after two pills. I called my Derm and she said to quit immediately. About 36 hours after my last pill I feel so much better, but am so heartbroken because this pill really does help heal acne FAST. So if you are going on it or thinking of going on it know it's very effective but please just be aware and cautious when starting it, it was actually pretty scary.... I would rather have mild acne than ever feel that way again.

Been on Bactrim for 5 years

I have been on Bactrim for about 5 years now. I am male, healthy, and 23 years old now. I've been struggling with nodular cystic acne since I was a young teen (12-13 years old), I had it all over my chest, shoulders, face, and neck. Currently I am a graduate student, so that will speak to my intelligence. Here is my take- everyone is different. Personally I tried every single antibiotic and topical out there to tame my acne. Nothing worked including acutane. Ever since I've been on Bactrim my acne has been mitigated. Bactrim never 'cured' my acne, but I do strongly believe it drastically mitigates cystic acne. I still have acne, but am concerned about the health effects of staying on it for more years. Now since my acne is minimal I think I will start weaning myself off before I develop some type of allergy. I have tried every topical, Zianna, Epiduo, Benzo-creams. The best thing that works for me is Clindomyicin phospate gel. My skin always looks clearer in the morning after applying before bed. Recently I switched to a top dermatologist in Philly, he used to teach dermatology at the University of Penn. He recommended I start washing my face with HIBICLENSE. This can be bought at a CVS or grocery store over the counter (it is a red liquid). Surgeons use it to wash their hands before operating to kill the bacteria. Now I apply it on my face twice a day while in the shower. I let it sit on my skin for about 30 seconds and then rinse it off. Then I use a neutrogena benzo face wash (no exfoliator beads) after (also good for killing bacteria). I let that sit for about a minute and wash that off. This is the best regimen I came up with after 10 years of combating acne. Meanwhile I still take Bactrim DS twice daily. I also spot treat with a pink sulfur medicine i buy online (nothing works better). Since my skin is looking a lot better now, I will try to wean off the pills, and keep doing my shower regimine, and use clyndomyicin gel at night. Nothing is worth the risk of developing an allergy to this Bactrim I've come to realize from reading so many reviews. Use with caution.

Comments

Best antibiotic for acne ever

I remember having horrible cystic acne at 17. my skin cleared up 100% after 1 month. Esp after getting a chemical peel from the dermatologist my scars (actually bruises, so i was told) went away as well resulting in flawless skin. during the times i did have to stop taking it, like when i went to basic training for example, it flared up again just like before. I never got any side effects from this med whatsoever. I'm 24 now and i'm living in the netherlands with my husband and apparently bactrim is banned in this country...as a result i've been struggling to find another option to clear up my skin...doxy doesnt cut it and its 5x as horrible when i have my period and it all collects on the jawline and lower cheeks and chin..im currently on spyro now and just started yas...if all else fails i'm considering trying a low dose of accutane (although im very weary of the said side effects which is why im keeping it as a last resort)

Comments

Helped so much just be patient

I began Bactrim in October freshmen year after stuggling with severe to moderate acne for about a year. before bactrim I remember feeling so depressed about my skin and all the products that kept not working. Within the first month I didn't see much improvement but I stuck with it and then somewhere between that 2nd and 3rd month my skin was basically clear. By month four I had no acne which was crazy due to the amount I used to have. I stayed on this medicine for about half a year and then came off. Although I still break out from time to time bactrim saved my life. I am now a junior and my skin is doing well with just washing it twice a day and using a spot treatment. Although I still get break out here in there it's nothing compared to what it was, stick with it nothing works overnight and its worth it in the end you'll be so happy with this decision. it helped with face and body acne. Just remember to be careful in the sun while on this medication

I have been on Bactrim for almost two weeks and I have noticed no improvement but actually more pimples. I am wondering if they will ever clear up?
@madi6698 I am wondering if your acne has cleared up now, I have also been on bactrim for a month now and have had no effect on my acne. I wonder if it takes a little longer to start working

Bactrim Review

I am 26 and since about 15 I have been dealing with acne on and off. At certain times my acne has been manageable, other times I would be pretty clear for a few weeks at a time, and then other times I would hide inside and skip going out with friends. I understand that acne takes an emotional toll on you, and if I can help by providing reviews to others that's just what i'll do! Bactrim has always been my quick fix for my acne. Seriously within 1-2 days I do not have any new blemishes popping up. At least that has always been the case for me and I hope that continues to be the case. (knock on wood) All of my existing acne dries up for me as well. For me the Bactrim seems to settle well with me too. I do not notice I feel any different, my skin just keeps clearing. Right now I am dealing with painful zits on my lower part of my face. (chin & jawline, sometimes neck) The zits are not quite cysts but still hurt!! So Bactrim has helped me. The only problem is eventually your body does get used to antibiotics and it technically isn't that great to be on antibiotics constantly. I don't think my body has ever got used to bactrim I just usually stop taking it because I don't like to be on antibiotics every single day of my life. My goal right now is to get my skin clear with Bactrim then try to start spironolactone since my acne seems to be hormonal now a days. So in conclusion 5 stars for Bactrim for a real quick healing of you acne. Bactrim is great if you have a special event or something, and you want to get rid of your pesky spots quick.

Allergic reaction

When I first went to the dermatologist for my acne I was prescribed this product. I only took a days worth before I had an allergic reaction to it. My skin broke out in hives and my throat and joints swelled up. It never got the opportunity to do anything to my acne so I can't comment on that aspect but I would caution others to be careful when taking this product. (For anyone curious I had to get a steroid injection and then an oral prescription to combat the allergic reaction.)

Comments

Bactrim DS - took a long time to work, but well worth the wait.

Very inexpensive, $5.90 in Australia for 1 month Supply One Tablet per day (can be cut in half if too big) Absolutely zero side effects (for me). Took a very long time to work. Can be very dangerous if you're allergic to it. In late 2011 (at 28 years of age), I started getting terrible Acne on my face. I tried every herbal remedy, herbs and vitamins that supposedly help Acne, topical creams and everything over the counter one could dream of. Nothing worked and my face was becoming worse by the day. In April 2012, I saw my dermatologist who said my acne was cystic and severe - he prescribed Bactrim DS on the spot. He told me results vary - some people get lucky and find it clears their skin in only a few short weeks, however some people need to wait much longer than that...I was the latter. My face and acne stayed in the same horrific state for quite some time - it was only in July 2012 that I started noticing a real difference. I was still getting acne, but it wasn't as inflamed (no pus or yellow heads) and it would go away much faster than usual. My skin continued to slowly improve and by Christmas 2012, my face was clear and it's remained that way :) - apart from the odd spot around 'that time of the month' - which I dare note complain about is it's NOTHING compared to a face full of swollen, painful, embarrassing Acne. In conjunction with the Bactrim DS, I used Benzac face wash and only moisturised every now and then. These days I'm still taking Bactrim DS and using Neutrogena's Power Clean Face wash - which is amazing as it's faded my Acne scars by about 70% over the last 7 months or so. I can't recommend Bactrim DS highly enough - however you MUST be willing to be patient. Don't just stop taking it after a few months if you find your skin isn't improving. I'd say give it a good 4 months and if you notice absolutely no improvement, then go and see your derm and discuss other options. Also, keep in mind that some people are VERY allergic to this medication so make sure you know the risks and what to expect just in case you react to it. I was pretty nervous the first time I took this as I had read about so many peoples scary reactions...but I took a leap of faith and I've never looked back :)

worked in one month

started working within a month less oily No more breakouts Can't take it forever Bactrim is an oral antibiotic typically used to treat infections. My dermatologist prescribed it to me on a whim because the tetracycline medications weren't working for me and I didn't want to go on accutane just yet because I have problems with depression and it's just a hassle going to there doctor every month. I saw results in one month of using bactrim. I was able to start using less acne products and miss washing my face without breaking out. My face became way less oily and now I'm only left with acne marks that are left behind from all the pimples. For this, I'm using acne.org's AHA product because it increases cell turnover and exfoliates the top layers of the skin. Hopefully it will work!

My Acne Cure!

Cleared my skin No side effects Easy After trying everything on the market including Accutane, I can safely say this is the best drug to treat acne with minimal to no side effects (for me at least). Literally within a day I can see the results. I am so glad I finally found my cure for acne. Not only does it clear acne, but it also prevents sinus infections which I tend to get often.

Monocycline vs Ceptra

fast acting didn't make me sick! headaches larger pill I will be 30yrs old this Nov. & I've been dealing with acne my entire life. 2wks ago I mentioned to my doc that I can't stand it anymore. My face is always broke out, they leave horrible scars & to make it worse.. When it would start to clear up, It would only break out again. Also, I was getting horrible & painful ingrown hairs all over my legs. Being its now summer, I couldn't stand wearing pants all summer. So my doc said "let's try this medication called Monocycline for a week & if it works, we'll go from there." First few days were fine & noticed my face & legs starting to heal up. But then I started waking up in the morning, my hands & arms were tingling & swollen. At first thought maybe I slept wrong & had a pinched nerve. So had my husband rub my shoulders, it got a little better that day. But then the next few days the tingling got worst. One day when I was at work, (at Lowes) watering & attending to my plants & flowers as normal. I started sweating profusely, got dizzy, had a headache, my arms were tingling worse than the last few days. I just did NOT feel good at all. So I went home, went online & looked up symptoms of the medication. Sure enough, everything that was listed as serious, I was experiencing. After talking with my doc, we decided to start something new in a week. I've been on Septra for 3 days & already I can tell my acne & ingrown hairs diminishing. I have had a few headaches & joint pain, but that's something I'm used to. So, so far so good! Good luck to everyone & remember, not everyones body is the same! So for someone who had a horrible reaction, it could work great for another.

Monocycline vs Ceptra

Comments

- clears acne - takes long to see results - creates scars - terribly sensitive skin I've always had light-moderate acne and it started flaring up after my college graduation. I've got sick of it coming and going so I was prescribed the drug in hopes to get rid of it once and for all (at least for a long while). It got worse before it got better and left horrible scars. Before, I would get breakouts and it would go away in a few days without any fuss, but after starting this routine, there was hyperpigmentation of the scars which I've never gotten before and not only that, these scars left deep imprints into my skin. My acne disappeared for a few months after I finished the cycle, but now my skin is acting up again. These results are definitely not worth it and I wish I've never gotten started on this routine.

Guest Kirsten
Guest Kirsten

My derm originally put me on minocycline, but after the sever side effects I experienced (constantly feeling dizzy), he put me on this. I've been taking Bactrim for a little over 3 months, and began to see results after 1 month. My body acne has nearly completely cleared up. My back, shoulders, and chest look better than ever. Though my body acne is practically gone, the acne on my face is as apparent as ever. I have to admit that the last three months I've gotten really lazy about washing my face every night and applying benzoyl peroxide, so that may be partly why my face hasn't been improving. However, my face hasn't gotten remarkably worse either. This antibiotic has managed to at least prevent my facial acne from getting worse. I would recommend this for sure. However, this is a sulfa drug-- something that people are allergic to. I have a feeling that a lot of the negative reviews here are from people that didn't realize that they were allergic to sulfa medication.

Popular Oral