Azelex Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream Reviews

Brand: Azelex

Azelex Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream

Not a fair overview of this treatment..it does say “prescription* treatments..the Rx is finacea 15%, just.saying.

I don’t have MD behind my name, but! this info on azelic acid does not apply in my experience to the Rx finacea..now what you get from eBay or Amazon yeah I get that, but overall it’s a disservice to the acne.org community *not* to cover azelic acid as finacea....

Made my skin oily

Didn't work well at all for me. I started this topical treatment at the same time as I started an oral antibiotic (erythromycin) treatment. The cream made my face (and back and chest) really itchy when I first put it on - even after weeks of taking it, this happened. Regardless, I left it on, tried not to scratch it. I would put it on twice a day, when I woke up and when I went to bed. I noticed that whenever I woke up in the morning or when I went to put my makeup on in the morning, my skin would be really oily. I don't know if the cream just irritated my skin, making it overproduce the oils, but of course this didn't help my acne at all. I came off of the topical treatment of my own accord and felt my acne was better managed without it.

Azelex is makes your skin dry which causes it to become itchy. When your skin is dry your body will produce more oils to counter act being dry. My best advice is after you apply the Azelex, you should use a non grease moisturizer over it.

Life saver. Holy water. Heaven sent

So far, it's helping a little bit! Will change my review once I've seen significant differences

Hi!!! I was thinking of getting azeliac aswell, are one of your skin concerns cloggish pores???
Would you be able to share if the azelaic acid from the ordinary worked for you?? thank you! <3
Hi there! I've never tried the Azelex from the ordinary so idk! Sorry ): I say just get the original one from your dermatologist if you can!
Hi Aaliyah! So sorry for the late reply! No clogging pores isn't one of my concerns! Just dark marks and uneven skin tone

Perfect for sensitive skin, cystic acne legions are GONE

This was a GODSEND for me. I'm 20 years old and experienced my WORST BREAKOUT EVER about 5 months ago. Cystic, legion-like, hard bumps along my jawline and PAINFUL to simply wash. It would leave me in tears whenever I saw my face without makeup. My naturopath concocted a remedy of sorts, which included a variety of vitamins (some in large doses tbh), a diet change (started about 8 months ago), start of spironolactone (50mg daily) and birth control. I NEEDED something that would cure me at least topically, and I am so blessed that she prescribed this cream. For the first week, you will experience some irritation and stinging, but you will also see a noticeable change - within the first week!!! Here's the best part: no. flaky. skin. It will take time, but within three months your bumps will be gone. ALL SKIN IS DIFFERENT, but this was so amazing for me :) I no longer use this cream because my naturopath told me I could only use for three months, I've been off of it for just over three weeks. Chin area experiences minor breakouts, but I will survive. Forehead is clear, sides of face and jawline just have red scarring which will go away. :) :) :) :) :) :) Best of luck to all of you.

I'm surprised your naturopath was able to recommend this to you when trying to go natural route. Do you think it was a combo of both? Also good for under the skin bumps?

Love!

I had never heard of this drug until I went to the dermatologist in June 2016 because of a recurring cyst on my chin. I wanted a cortisone shot. I told him I refused to use retin a micro due to the initial breakout I had about 4 years ago. My skin is super sensitive and i needed something gentle yet effective, so he prescribed azelex! I have been using this for six months and have not had one since! It has greatly reduced my hormonal breakouts and smoothed my skin overall. I am very very pleased with this product! I even wrote him a thank you email for his suggestion! Highly recommended for mild to moderate acne!

Comments

Azelex acid Purchased without prescription?

Can i buy Azelex without dermatologist prescribing it? If so where? Website?

I just bought a 10% Azelaic Acid Suspension from the ordinary skincare line (it's a UK brand under Deciem, [link removed]). The product itself was $7.90 for an ounce + $4.99 shipping and it took about 2 weeks to get to me. I also looked at Curology but most of the formulas they make for patients is only around 4% and it's $20 a month. I can't tell you how the Ordinary formula is working so far because I tried it for the first time last night but my inflammation has already decreased a bit and I didn't have any new spots this morning. Hope this helps!
I get mine on Amazon. It's called melazepam. It's 20% azelaic acid which is the highest I've found online without a prescription. I really like it and the tube is 2 oz.

The best thing I've ever used!

I've struggled with acne since I was about 21 when I was diagnosed with rosacea and have tried SO many different products/methods to try and shift it. I had great success with BP originally, but my skin became intolerant to it, the same thing happened with Differin after initial good results. Skip forward a couple of years and my acne is back to where it was before I started any kind of treatment, I am now approaching 31 years of age and figured I'd exhausted all of my options with regards to clearing my skin. Then I discovered azelaic acid (skinoren brand), completely by chance and thought I may as well give it a go. After only 4 weeks I started to notice the difference, I usually have approximately 5 cysts around my jaw at any one time of the month (at their worst before my period), and many smaller pimples covering the rest of my face, after approximately week 4 I noticed they weren't as angry as usual, and that as they were clearing there didn't seem to be any new ones forming to take their place. Once they had healed, and since around week 5 of treatment ... absolutely nothing! All that is left is 1 very tiny pimple which is almost healed, and my skin has never looked so smooth. It's also worth mentioning that I experienced absolutely no side effects with this product, no itching, no dryness, no flaking, no purging, nothing. I'm not sure how it works in other countries but in the UK this is available to purchase online without a doctors visit (just an online 'consultation'), for £15, which is only about £7 more than an normal prescription from a GP, but saves the inconvenience of taking time off work, trying to book/go to an appointment etc. Personally I cannot recommend azelaic acid highly enough :)

You can get it in okdermo, your welcome.

Eh

I certainly do not recommend this product! Before starting I would get a few pimples on my forehead but after using Azelex I have now had pimples everywhere. I also noticed a lot of whiteheads while using it as well as no improvement in my scarring. Please don't be discouraged by this review but be warned!!!! This didn't work for me but it might work for you, remember to never give up and stay persistent!��

thank you for letting us know!

Um okay,I guess.

My doc gave it to me mainly because of red marks(which later turned out to be Post Inflammatory Erythema)..Didn't really use it on spots since I was on Topical clindamycin HCL.Helps PIH a great deal.However,recently,I found it to be doing well on cystic and pustular lesions.

Comments

Works extremely well on cystic acne!

Azelaic acid seems to work amazing well on deep cystic acne, lessening the inflammation and clearing it up or bringing it to a whitehead in a matter of 3-4 days! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on inflammatory acne for me. I highly recommend this product!

Goodbye comedy red nose

Had rosecea for years,spots and broken skin on my nose with redness... anti biotics didn't work, it was starting to get me down a bit so I self prescribed myself with a tube of azeliac acid from eBay, worth atry for 8 English pounds I thought, I cleanse my skin before bed and apply the cream, washing it off in the morning, within a week the rosecea was totally gone, I now cleanse and apply every other night, I now have a worry free social calendar, no more worrying about going out with a nose like coco the clown!

Wonder Drug

I have had Rosacea for many years. I take antibiotics two times a day and have used Metrojel 1 percent with no relief. I felt so frustrated because it just got worse. My internist told me there was nothing else that could be done at this time. I received a coupon in the mail for $30.00 for a new product called Azelex Acid. I asked my doctor to write a prescription. With insurance I paid $130.00. I have used it only 5 days and already my skin is improving. I can't believe it. My skin has cleared up and is soft and smooth. The redness and pimples are gone. It is worth every penny.

I've been using Azelaic acid for a couple of weeks. No improvement yet. I'm shocked that you have to pay so much. In the UK, all prescriptions cost about £8, regardless of the medication. I know the cost to the NHS is only about £3.50 per tube. It's a really cheap drug. I'm really hoping that there's a cheaper way for you to purchase this.

try my routine instead for cycstic acne

I am 28 year old female and still used to get weekly ance. I do get deep cystic acne every once in a while. I started a new regiment 4 weeks (Listed Below) ago and by the looks of it I finally have clear skin with no signs of new pimples or cysts emerging: Took me years to find the right products for me - I have very sensitive skin My Skin Regiment: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (AM/PM) Citrus Clear Sensitive Moisturizer Citrus Clear Grapefruit Spot Treatment Fish Oil - pills (AM only) Other Things to Consider when trying to achieve great skin - Probably the most important too 64 - 128 oz of Water Daily 6 - 8 Hrs of Sleep a Night 1 Hr of Exercise per day (5 per/week)

Hello! Drop Cetaphil and go with something like Circadia Lipid Replacing Cleansing Gel. Cetaphil blocks pores. The rest of your plan is pretty cool. Good for you!

LOVE it!

Birth-control pills made a HUGE difference in my cystic acne (life-changing), but I recently stopped taking it because I'm going to start trying to get pregnant soon. Before I was off the BC, I saw a dermatologist who recommended I try Azelex for some melasma as well as a way to treat the impending acne (it's baby-safe). I'm only two weeks off the BC, and so far I've had just 3 tiny bumps on my chin (which is my most problematic area). I realize it's still early days, but the Azelex has also made my skin so smooth and soft! It burned a little only the first time, and I've been applying it at night all over my face and then again on my chin in the mornings. I have GREAT insurance, and it still cost me $150/tube, but I think it might be worth it. If you can afford the price, DEFINITELY GIVE IT A TRY!

Have you ever looked at a state-wide Prescription Savings Card? Even if you're insured, sometimes you can save TONS just by using the card instead of insurance. I live in Texas, & we have the Texas Drug Card. I looked up tretinoin cream for my Godmother, who is over age 34 & her insurance won't cover the cream, & using the card I was able to help her get it for $7. (I looked up Azelex & in TX, for example, using the card's coverage would make it $18. Amazeballs!) The cards can be used by anyone - insured & non-insured people alike. I see them a lot at hospitals & doctors offices. Your state card may be something to look into. Just a heads up! (& thanks for the review! I'm going to ask my PCP if she can put me on this next time I see her. Lol.)
Try ordering this cream online from Australia to save heaps!! I only pay AUD $12-$15 at my local Pharmacy. The brand I use is by ego and it's called AZ Clear Lotion from memory it's 20% Azaleaic. I stopped using mine after starting a new skin care range and my skin flared up so I'm back using it twice a day and my skin is perfect and clear.. good luck! HTH

Fingers Crossed... 2 Weeks

Clears Up Stops Acne promotion doesn't bleach clothing ( I'm looking at you B.P.) Pricey Sting on the face + when using the first time This thing is so good !! Cleared up my back and the acne kind of stopped! I can sleep on my back now Yay!! The only thing I don't like is I can't stand to put this on my face, it stings Alooot!! Will update!

THE BEST TOPICAL

Gentle and Moisturizing Marked improvement of general erythema (redness) 50-70% less active acne in 6 weeks Fairly pricey I am a male and I've had severe acne on my face for about 4 years (age 15-19). I've kept it under control by using Benzaclin for 3 of those years but I noticed it was extremely harsh on my face and damaged it various ways. There is a noticeable difference in color and texture of my face where I've used harsh topicals such as benzoyl peroxide over the years. I have a million redmarks. I stopped Benzaclin and broke out severely and used Dan's regime instead which is mildy effective but you have to use Benzoyl Peroxide which is horrible. This is the only review I've ever written because this is the best topical I've used. It is gentle, an emollient which moisturizes (you don't need moisturizer), and has provided me with significant improvement while I wait to start Accutane (liver tests need to normalize first). It has brought my severe acne down to about moderate I'd say (some would still say severe). 6 weeks a go when I started I was very depressed about the current state of my acne but now It's definitely more manageable. If you have mild or moderate acne I would HIGHLY recommend you stop damaging your face with benzoyl peroxide (sun sensitivity, oxygenation, free radicals) and get the most gentle, effective topical I've used. If I used this for 6 months I'm sure I would be clear as day but If you stop it does come back.

2 week review

Easy to use Deep penetration of getting into pores Reduces inflammation Burn/sting Expensive retail 300.00 insurance made it 100.00 Takes time to see results So far it's only been 2 weeks of using this product I have moderate acne with past scars from cystic acne. My dermatologist prescribed this cream to me with benzoyl as my face wash. I apply twice a day after washing my face it does burn and sting for a little while and then goes away, so far I'd say its working as far as minimizing the cystic acne I have broke out a little more from using this product but not too much, and the inflammation has gone done but il give it some more time and see what better results il have

Comments

no strong odor clear on the skin i just started using azelax yesterday and maybe im just seeing things but my skin looks different. looks a little less inflamed and a little softer. im concerned about one thing i see everyone feels burning i didnt feel anything what so ever when i applied this cream. could that be bad? hoping this stuff really works. ill write another review soon w my results.

do you still recommend it??

Doesnt cause skin to flake Doesnt bleach skin or clothes Non drying when used in combination with natural wash and rose hip oil Intitially stinging, after hour is fine Doesnt sit well under makeup use only once a day to stop irritation I have used Azclear lotion for 3 weeks with great results.. In Australia it only costs $10 over the chemist counter with no prescription or insurance required...I use it once a day coz I found using it twice a day was too drying. Every third night I skip it and only use Akin 100% pure rose hip oil. Also I no longer use harsh washes with salystic acid or benozyl peroxide...they simply strip my skin too much. So now I use Akin Pure Cleansing Gel. Once a week I use a generic Calamine lotion for a 30 minute mask to calm skin and draw out impurities. Anyone who is serious about clearing acne should also minimise sugar, wheat, red meats, coffee, and hot spices...these are flamatory so cause the skin to excrete more sebum.

I will also add that using natural mineral powder makeup has made a big difference from using liquid foundation. I use Nude brand.
Guest Jon
Guest Jon

Worked very fast, did not cause big cystic pimples. Very impressed! I was kinda of concerned with the other reviews, thinking my breakouts would get much worse, they did not. Not kidding,By the first use I saw an improvement,not something I can say about any other product. Try it, you will be impressed, do not over use.

Comments

Nothing. (in my case) Everything... :( Do not use any product which contains this acid, it's very painful. It made my skin dry and irritate it. My acne got worst, like a 60% worst. Right now I'm in a lot of pain and I just used it for 7 days! :( I'm not sure if my acne could still be called light acne, it looks more like moderate right now. 7 days of that acid meant dead to my face :(

Do look into a SYSTEMIC connection with your acne. Its probably GUT related!
Guest steve
Guest steve

Skin cleared, acne scars reduced, Reduced redness Itchy, Dryness i have had acne for 15 yr now....i have tried almost every single medicine out there...most are effective but after i stop using them my acne comes back. I don't want to use accutane because of the bad side effects. ive been on azelaic acid for 3 weeks now...so far its working good...lets wait and see what happens after a month or two.

Popular Topical