Acanya Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Acanya

Acanya Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

PERFECT FOR HORMONAL ACNE

(From Accutane to Acanya!!!!) I'm 21 and I've suffered from severe acne since the beginning of puberty. I used to have several huge, painful cysts all over my checks until I took Accutane, which completely cleared me. Unfortunately, 3 years later, my skin had slowly gotten worse and worse, and began to look exactly like before I took Accutane. That all changed when I started using Acanya!!! I've been using this for about 2 months now and I honestly couldn't have had better results. My skin is not dry, it shrinks my big pimples and cysts over night, and it keeps the clogged pores and small white heads at bay. It has lightened my hyper-pigmentation leftover from previous breakouts, and I really believe that it helps prevent you from breaking out. This is how I use the Acanya gel at night: 1.) wash my face thoroughly- about 3 times with CeraVe foaming facial cleanser for normal to oily skin. (DOESN'T DRY OUT YOUR FACE, I LOVE THIS FACE WASH SO MUCH) 2.) Rinse face and make sure that there are no soap suds left and dry with a towel. 3.) Splash my face with water and I leave my face damp before applying the Acanya gel 4.) I apply literally no more than a pea size amount all over my problem areas. (It's important to have a damp face before applying it because it dilutes the gel and makes it easier to apply in a thin layer.) 5.) Get a q-tip and dab some more of the gel directly on my bigger pimples. 6.) Put Acanya in the fridge (I want it to last as long as possible). 6.) Go to bed and allow my face to air-dry. 7.) Wake up with smooth skin and no new breakouts!!! Good luck everyone, I hope that you all have the results that I had with the gel. Don't forget to leave your face damp before applying- that's the most important part!

Life saver

Miracle product.I have suffered from acne since I was 13. I have tried all of the over the counter creams and potions. I would categorize my acne as moderate; I have had several bad episodes of cystic breakouts. my deem got me this stuff so I start the Acanya right away . HUGE MIRACLE!!! Within 3 days all of the cystic acne that I had was going away/gone and my face was starting to clear overall.

Has gotten me 100% clear twice now

I've been put on Acanya twice, once in my late 20s, and again recently, in my early 30s. Both times, it's completely cleared my moderate cystic acne -- I would say 90% as effective as oral antibiotics for me (which also worked great, but are no longer a long-term feasibility, gut-wise). It got me to 100% clear the first time I used it, in combination with Differin 0.3% brand name gel (not generic), so much so that my doctor chalked the dramatic improvement up to hormonal change, and took me off of it after two years. My skin was fine until 4 months later, when breakouts slowly started creeping back in, and eventually came back full-force after about 7 months of discontinuing use. My dermatologist then put me on another topical for 4 months (Soolantra), which did nothing for me, and I asked to try Acanya again. Within two weeks, I saw a positive change. Within 2 months, I'm 100% clear again. I have also recently (in the last 3 weeks) begun using Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength peel pads in place of Differin at night for 2 days in a row, and Murad Rapid Spot Lightening Gel on the 3rd night to lighten hyperpigmentation, which has helped with fading old marks from my bad breakouts before I went back on the Acanya. I still get 1-2 hormonal pimple right before my period, but small, and usually not cystic like they used to be. This stuff works for me.

Has the Dr. Dennis Gross Extra Strength peel pads /Murad Rapid Spot Lightening Gel been helping fade your scars?

Not a long-lasting product

I started getting acne (very mild) at a pretty young age (10?) so we went to my derm and he suggested me to use acanya. I used it every night and for probably three years my skin was FLAWLESS. Not a single pimple and I believe it was because of this. I was very happy. I'm 14 now and recently, the beginning of this year, I guess you could say that my skin no longer reacts to it. I have been getting many new pimples (especially clusters on my lower cheeks and chin). It's only been getting worse and worse, and I still would use acanya at night. I have completely stopped using acanya and have been using Proactiv+ for the past two weeks. My skin is getting a lot better. I may try Epiduo soon. Overall, my acne was controlled with this but it didn't last. My face became immune. But, I do recommend that you try this.

Comments

Pretty good, just not completely on its own.

Story- Im a 16yo girl and used to have severe acne on my forehead for a couple years and have constantly been switching prescribed medications because they either didnt work, or my skin adapted to them. I have been using acanya in the morning, tazorac at night, and cera ve face products for about 6 months. Im using two products so that my skin cannot adapt to it so quickly. My skin has been slowly clearing up all through the months ,sometimes getting really bad (never worse than my original problem) , and sometimes really good. Now I will get only a pimple or two a week. Cons of Acanya only- Had some major skin peeling, redness, and tightness occasionally and is pricey.

Works

I use this as a spot treatment, which I'm not sure you are supposed to do. Putting a layer of this on my skin would likely be too harsh, as I have always had that issue with topical treatments. I love this stuff! I had been using benzoyl peroxide 10% thinking that would do the trick, but when I use this instead my pimples go down in a matter of a day.

I didn't see change

I rarely break out I actually have very clear skin but when I do it's on my chest or one major blemish and I've been using this for over a month and noticed it stops the blemishes I get from forming more but I feel they stay and last longer. Again I only get a few blemishes but when I do they are large and painful and this only seemed to stop the process not actually help it go away. I have had the same blemishes on my chest for over a week now and they still aren't going away? Any suggestions would be great.

Effective, but drying

About four weeks ago, I was put on 100mg doxy 2x day, acanya in the daytime, and adapalene 0.3% gel at night time for my severe acne (cystic on jawline and deep acne along cheeks). I have noticed a great improvement of my acne, most of it is on the surface now, with most of my cystic acne gone or now surface acne. The only qualm I have about this product is that it is very drying, which I can attribute to both this and the other two prescriptions. I have started using a tiny amount of organic, unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil on top of this once it has dried so that I can return the lost moisture to my face and I find it is working well. This product is one you need to be patient with -- as is the case with all acne treatments. For having tried both clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide prior to no avail, I am impressed by how effective the two in tandem are!

I have the same type of acne (cystic on jawline and deep acne along cheeks) and not much has worked to clear it up. I'm starting acanya today. Taking that in the morning and Retin-A at night. I hope it works. I'm concerned about the drying out issue. Seems to be common with this medication. I use coconut oil on my body but never on my face in fear of the oil making my acne worse. Since it worked for you I'll give it a try. Thanks for your review. It was very helpful.

Loved this: Takes two months to see results you want, but stick with it!

not too drying easy to apply I think this product is a really good combo of a light benzol peroxide and clindamycin. I had pretty bad acne suddenly and was prescribed this to apply at night, and with a good moisturizer and simple face wash, this really helped clear me up. My derm has switched me to differin and tretinocin 0.025% (to apparently help me off of Doxy), and I hope it works as effectively as this cream.

Drastic Results Already

Cleared up Acne No breakouts I started this using on my face about a week ago and have already noticed a change. I wash twice a day with cetaphil DermaControl wash and moisturize with the cetaphil DermaControl moisturizer. To fade the dark marks my dermatologist prescribed a Hydroquinone and fluocinolone acetonide.

Not for Sensitive Skin

no initial breakouts has ability to help causes dryness, flakes, and sensitivity tightens skin & slight bruning after applying bleaches clothes I have been using Acanya Gel for two months now. Within the first two weeks I immediately noticed that the mild acne I have was starting to clear up and I was starting to feel better about myself. However, by the start of week three my face became so dry and flaky that I was applying my Aveeno Ultra Calming moisturizer three times a day.; I was also in a lot of pain. I took two nights off of the Gel to recover and that helped some. Just before week five my acne started to return as it was before I started treatment and since then it hasn't gone away. Also, since starting the Acanya Gel my face has been dryer than before and I have been needing to apply more moisturizer in the morning than normal. Daily Facial Care Routine: AM - Lightly exfoliate with Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser (Sensitive Skin) > Moisturize with either Aveeno Ultra Calming SPF 15 or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Radiance Cream SPF 15 PM - Wash with Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser (Sensitive Skin) > Apply pea sized amount of Acanya Gel evenly to face. [Note: There is no acne medication in the Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser.] Before I started using the Acanya Gel the dryness and sensitivity that I experienced seemed to be normal and manageable with the products that I am currently using, though not anymore. I have recently seen my dermatologist and will now be discontinuing the Acanya Gel and instead will be trying Tretin-X.. It has also been suggest to me that I switch to either Cetaphil or CeraVe products; the suggestion is being taken into consideration.

Acanya works!

Acanya has worked wonderfully! I have been using Acanya for about two years and only one bottle lasts me 6 months!! It only takes a couple weeks to work and at first dries out your skin, but after the first month I noticed such an improvement!! I've had moderate to severe acne for a while now, and with Acanya all of it cleared up on my forehead, nose and chin, and with only one or two stubborn ones left on my cheeks every so often. I recently just ran out of my bottle and haven't had time to refill and am dying to get to the pharmacist! I use very expensive facewashes and nothing has compared. Plus if you get their coupon card on their website it is very affordable-especially for lasting me 6 months!!

You have been using one bottle of Acanya for 6 months? The prescription information states that the gel expires 10 weeks after opening. I had to get refills every 10 weeks.

Has benzoyl peroxide with out the nasty smell. Light texture. Comes in a pump now so you don't have to mix it together. Supposedly, the bp and clindamyacin combination makes bacterial resistance less likely. Requires refrigeration (?). Didn't work the first time I tried it, but seems to help with surface acne after I broke out slightly a few months after my second round of Accutane. In my experience, it probably wouldn't work on really deep cystic acne. Better form of BP for those who don't tolerate high doses.

Comments

Worked quickly Easy to use Dryness Allergic reaction Noticed a big difference on my forehead after one day! After 3 days my chin and cheeks started to clear up, then started to itch, then burn, then turned completely white from dry skin, then got red and swollen with massive bumps all over the place. Turns out I'm allergic to Benzol Peroxide... yay... I recommend testing it on a small area of skin just so you know what your skin's normal reaction will be.

Guest ana
Guest ana

Works immediately Soooo expensive After five days of use I saw drastic results. The only effective product I've ever used. I've had acne for almost ten years and this is the only time I've been without it.

Guest less
Guest less

Works fast, gets rid of the deep acne, clears black heads face broke out at first from using (but that is any new product) Started using this a week ago today, I already see results, I have not had the cystic acne that i was suffering from and on my cheeks i had red scaring that is now gone and i had a ton of black heads on my chin that are gone, just from one week! i have tried everything! i am very impressed with this product and recommend it. Not everything works for everyone though, I found that out the hard way of trying everything I saw on tv or heard from people. Try this, can't hurt.

Guest John
Guest John

Cleared up my worst breakout Kept Acne at bay Stopped getting cystic acne relatively cheap Bottle lasts forever Can be drying (Whats not?) This is the only thing that has kept my acne at bay completely! Ive tried proactiv, stress control kit, exposed, antibiotics, pretty much anything you can think of! I was going through the worst breakout ive ever had and went to the derm and got this prescribed! What an amazing product, takes about two weeks to see good results but it has changed my life! I use it with cetaphil and moisturize with CeraVe and morning and night. I used to be on a strict diet to control my acne but now I eat whatever I want and my face stays clear! Hope this helps

Guest Michelle
Guest Michelle

Halted cystic acne Does not over dry skin Does not clear skin immediately like others have said Ages skin a bit (dryness?) I have been using this product for 2 weeks and I have noticed a difference: Before I started, I was waking up with new pimples every day and getting really anxious. Ever since I started using this medicine I no longer wake up with new pimples. But, at the same time, it had not completely cleared my skin and does absolutely nothing for scars. It has only been two weeks so I'm pretty happy so far. I do notice that my skin is drier and makeup does look a bit cake but its not as drying as Duac.

Guest Lexi
Guest Lexi

Works great Prescription expires in 10 weeks I've suffered from SEVERE cystic acne for most of my adulthood (20+ years) and tried everything. My last really bad flare up 3 years ago was so severe, the dermo wanted to put me on Accutane because nothing I tried worked and in fact was making everything worse. My face was in constant pain and I could feel it throbbing night and day. I wore make-up the consistency of a kabuki mask As a last resort, we tried Acanya gel and Doryx (150mg) combo. For the first 2-3 weeks I thought 'Great! Another thing that doesn't work!' and was pretty miserable but then slowly I started seeing improvements and things got better with every passing day. I have since gotten off Doryx but continue to use Acanya gel every morning. A little goes a long way and although it is pricey, the results are so worth it I don't even think about it. My one and only complaint is that the prescription has to be re-authorized through my insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) every 10 weeks which is a huge pain.

Guest Jack in NYC
Guest Jack in NYC

Cleared acne in conjunction with Atralin (in PM) Easy to use Worked fairly quickly for me, erasing acne flare ups within 4 weeks Expires 10 weeks after opening it Drying May irritate sensitive skin I had been using Klaron & Tazorac for years. I had run out of Klaron 6 weeks or more ago and didn't want to go back to same dermie, since he always kept me waiting forever. I went to new dermie who looked at me as if I had beamed down from Mars when I said I was using Klaron + Tazorac. He asked if my skin were irritated, and I said, "Um, of course." He said that these Rx I was using were a little old-school and he prescribed Acanya in the AM and Atralin in the PM. Wow! It transformed my skin. After 12 weeks, I have no acne. Even my blackheads are going away. I apply the Acanya and Atralin over moisturizer in the AM and PM, as per my dr's recommendation, and I haven't had any flaking. I did have irritation on my left check so I reduced usage for a few days and it went away. I cannot recommend this combo highly enough. I have had acne for 20+ years. I was on Accutane about 20 years ago, which reduced my chronic acne from severe to moderate but persistent. I use Simple Gel Cleanser. Very non-irritation in the PM. I only splash my face with warm water in AM.. I use Simple nighttime moisturizer at night, and I use Purpose with SPF 30 or CeraVe with SPF 30 in the AM. I think Purpose works just fine and doesn't cost nearly as much as CeraVe. I hope this helps others, and I wish everyone all the best in beating their acne!

Guest anon
Guest anon

works drying ok i left a review before all ecstatic that it was working- i was so pleased that i actually FORGOT what it was like having acne and how miserable i was and was all happy with my clear skin that i stopped using acanya. BAD MOVE. within a few months my acne came back...so i started using acanya again and it has yet to start working 1 week in- i know i need to be patient. but i want to remind everyone that once your skin clears you still need to use this, maybe not every day... but don't just stop altogether.

Guest Samantha
Guest Samantha

Nothing so far. Dries out my face bad. Burns when I put it on, and leaves my face looking red and irritated. I have been using this product for about a month now and so far I haven't had anything good to say about it. My face is flaky and hurts. Even just putting on moisturizer burns because of this. So far I am not a fan. Keep in mind I have only been using it for a month. It could get better.

Popular Topical