Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash Reviews

Brand: Purpose

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash

Switch to Equate baby wash

This facial cleanser has been around for quite a long time and it was always the go to cleanser for people with sensitive skin. What going on now in 2017 is the skin care companies are ordered to change all of the ingredients in their products. If a ingredient has the potential to cause cancer they must remove it. Sadly in the old Purpose wash there were SEVERAL potential harmful things that could cause cancer. There are no known reported cases of anyone becoming ill from this but the companies must protect themselves. A woman was rewarded not too long ago for claims of Johnson's baby powder giving her Ovarian Cancer and the company lost so much money forcing them to change everything. Sadly what's happened with Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash is they have put together a really harsh formula that is anything but good for sensitive skin. The new stuff will make your face red, cause breakouts and it will burn. The reason for this is the fragrance they chose it just too strong and the company right now in denial about this. My suggestion to someone who was used to the old formula is to switch over to a baby wash that Walmart sells called Equate baby wash. That product is amazing and the formula will not make your face red or cause any irritation. The baby wash has a nice light fragrance and you will get the same benefits you got with the old Purpose gentle cleansing wash. You have to go down the baby wash aisle and find it there. It's the Equate one and their formula is also free of any toxic chemicals and it works just fine. So if you are having anxiety about finding a new face wash go for that because as a man with red sensitive acne prone skin I know what it's like to feel that pain.

Comments

Formula change. New one sucks!

I've been purpose facial cleanser religiously for 10 years and they recently changed the formula. It's awful! It smells so strong, and I find that it doesn't clean as well as the old one. My eye makeup use to come off effortlessly. Now it takes lathering multiple times to get me eye makeup off. I also noticed bumps appearing on my forehead. Which is odd because I haven't changed anything. I'll be in the market for a new cleanser. Sucks to part from my favorite cleanser but the really screwed it up :(

Fragrance? Why?

I've used this product for years. Never a problem. The last bottle I bought, I noticed it had a strong smell. I realized the label was a little different and the ingredients label showed 'fragrance'. I thought that was odd for a product that is supposed to be for sensitive skin. Well guess what? I started breaking out within a day! I haven't changed my makeup or hair products and wondered if it might be the Purpose so I went out and bought another cleanser that was for sensitive skin and fragrance free. I began to clear up. So to continue with my experiment, I went back to the Purpose. I started breaking out again! Why did J & J try to fix something that was never broken? Looks like another company is going to get my money from now on.

New formula is harsh

They changed the formula and now it really stinks and causes redness and breakouts.

PTS

Ingredients change :(

I've been using this product for years and have always loved it. I just bought a new bottle and this one has a strong fragrance. I looked at the ingredients from my old bottle vs. this bottle and indeed ingredients have been added. I definitely prefer the non fragrant version of the past. What happened?

Dried my skin out!

One of the worst cleaners I've used. I still have basically the whole bottle left. After cleansing my skin, my face was dry and pale looking(I am brown). Kinda Like residue was left behind on my face. I stopped using after a week.

Slimy residue -- skip it

The high amount of Sodium Laureth Sulfate [it's about the third ingredient listed, which means the cleanser contains a LOT of it] leaves a slick, slimy film on your face, almost like saran wrap. Imagine what this is doing to your pores. It's not good for you. The high sulfate content also means it's quite drying, which means more acne in the long run [since dry skin = more oil produced to compensate]. Bottom Line: Don't buy any cleansers with ANY sulfates, especially Sodium Lauryl, since they leave a film all day and cause more acne.

disappointed

I have oily skin I used it for about 3 months and at first it looked like it was helping my acne but after that it didn't do much. It didn't treat the acne I had and didn't prevent new acne. I think it actually also dried out my skin too. So I was really disappointed with this product.

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash: Poor Packaging

I used Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash on a dermatologist's advice for years back in the 1990s until I realized it was making my skin issues worse due to what would appear to have been a case of post-purchase product contamination (some pumps are better than others and this one allows too much air and moisture into the product, which begins to diminish product purity after it is opened). Purpose is not particularly gentle, IMHO, and can leave the skin feeling stripped of oil. On the plus side, it foams really well and a small bit goes a long way. If the manufacturer would update the pump design so that it doesn't allow so much air/moisture to seep in after it is opened, it would be a decent facial cleanser. But with the current packaging, I would advise against keeping it anywhere near the splashing that can occur in a shower/bath area.

love it

I used to have acne, mainly on my cheeks, and I never knew why I had it. When I started sleeping over at my boyfriends house and using his face wash ( which was Purpose) I noticed my face was clearing up. Ever since then I used Purpose every day and it does wonders. I don't even break out before my menstrual cycle.

Comments

Purposefully not so gentle?

My skin is really oily, but this "gentle" cleanser still managed to dry me out. I guess you'll have to use your personal discretion on this one. I know some people love it, but this cleanser left my skin tight and flaky. I switched to the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser and am much, much happier. Plus, I hate the smell.

changed the formula

this used to be great now it dries out my skin.. i feel that they must have changed the formula- because my brother who uses this who has different skint then I- said the same thing.

HARSH!

Everyone's skin is different but this dried the heck out of my skin and I believe led to some breakouts because of what poor condition my skin was left in.

Comments

I get this when I forget to reorder the Acne.org face wash

This is just a basic wash for sensitive skin. No sent, color, fancy stuff, Its not expensive, and its easy to find. It foams up nice. However, i gave it four stars because its not great at removing makeup. You will have to lather up twice if you have anything like makeup on.

PTS
I've used this for years and agree with the no scent benefit. They have changed the formula and now there is a strong fragrance which I'm super disappointed with.

Skin didn't like it

I gave this product a try because of how high it was rated, but it just wasn't for me. I got a huge breakout and it produced more sebum plugs for me.

Just curious, are you using it as part of The Regimen?

Changed the formula?

I've used this product since 2006 and its worked just fine for cleaning my face and I've never had any problems with it. Until this year, it started causing red blotchy spots on my face. My forehead would breakout into rash like bumps and it would itch pretty badly. I never thought it would be the face wash as I've used it for years. Once I eliminated this from my regimen my face cleared up and the rash/redness went away. I'm not sure if my skin changed, the formula changed or the combination of this and BP is linked to the symptoms? - which is always possible. I've noticed others stating breakouts, rashes and redness from this as well in their reviews, so its just not me.

made me break out

I used this product when I was younger to help with minor breakouts and help treat my oily/combination skin and it worked great. I still break out, and I decided to switch cleansers. It no longer worked to treat my break outs, but rather made my forehead breakout in tiny white-head like zits. I won't buy again!

NOT FOR ME.. :(

Knowing this product is on Acne.org + after seeing the amount of stars this product has i was expecting my acne to clear off at least just a little with this.. I've used this for over a month. Every day.. Morning & Night. I honestly had high hopes when i first got this but it ended up disappointing me. I've been suffering from severe acne for over 3 years now.. And i'm tired of it. I've used tons of acne treatments but none have worked for me.. Purpose Gentle Cleaning Wash is certainly not helping either. So if anybody recommends another acne treatment then i would highly appreciated if you tell me by commenting on this review. Thanks.

mixed feelings

cleared my nose/cheek porestrip area other uses think it might've given me small acne patches i washed my face with this for almost a week, and got a patch of blackheads and a few more zits, hmm? Alot of people on makeupalley have noticed a patches of dry skin or bumps that pop up. maybe didnt clean throughly or maybe it was just random acne or weather change. WHO KNOWS. However I do wash every area of my face with cerave and used purpose for only the "pore strip" sized area of my face near my eyes/upper cheeks and my skin in the pore strip area has been so clear and supple, ONLY in that area though. Im afraid ill break out if I use it all over since coincidentally my skin had a few more dots then usual when I used it for a week and my sister broke out in cyst, This makes me way too scared to try it out on my whole face, but for my nose/blackhead area it really works to keep it smooth and bright, I wish it'd work like that everywhere else hmm.... I want to give it a try but I dont think so. the rest of my cheeks have been breaking out and I wonder if its because this facewash runs into the rest of my cheeks as I rinse/wash. I DONT GET IT. If you dont like it for your face,it can be used for makeup brushes or body wash, its almost baby wash. I give it a 3 because it has potential and it does keep my nose under eye cheek area clear! if only i wasnt so scared!

netstars22

Good cleanser, but a tad harsh on my combo skin.

Foams quickly Has a light fragrance A little goes a long way Dries out non-oily areas Kinda expensive I bought this on a whim while at Target. I had previously been using a salicylic acid-based scrub which did okay, but I knew it was too harsh. Initially this worked out well and I had bought it right on time because my dermatologist started me on Epiduo and Doryx. After a month, I found that it dries out my cheeks more than I expected a gentle cleanser to, but it's probably just how my skin is. I'll be finishing this bottle, but I won't be coming back.

good cleanser

gentle leaves skin clean non-irritating This wash is gentle like the bottle says. It foams up well, and doesn't dry out the skin but will take off some oil and just the faintest tight feeling, but really depends on how oily your skin is. This is the cleanser i keep buying over and over, and going back to. I've read some where that the ph is 6 or 7 so its almost ph correct for the skin but will remove some oil, not all. with a moisturizer it is perfect. Works as wash for chest shoulders back as well.

No drying, no harshness

Non drying No soap Not harsh Fairly expensive I have used MANY cleansers for my very very oil skin that dries out at the touch of water alone. This cleanser is by far the best cleanser for my face type and for my acne skin. I've had not one adverse affect from this product. It is fantastic!

This Product is Great!

Doesn't dry out my face Light/refreshing wash Cleanses well None :) I switched to this product because Dan's cleanser dries out my face a lot!

Light cleanser

Can find it anywhere Smells nice Inexpensive Doesn't remove eye makeup well. I can taste the face wash on my lips after washing my face. Kinda gross. I really like this face wash. It foams up pretty good. Removes face makeup well. Eye makeup is a bit more difficult to remove though. Has a nice smell to it too. Doesn't break me out at all.

Not for me

Smells nice Face felt clean Allergic reaction Not for sensitive skin I bought this thinking it was the liquid version of the bar. Not even close! Completely different ingredients! I must have had an allergic reaction to it be I broke out in an itchy, eczema type rash in my eyelids a d the sides of my face. Waste of money for me.

Popular Liquid