Proactiv Solution Gentle Formula Reviews

Proactiv Solution Gentle Formula

Better than the original but company has problems

Like many here, I tried the original kit for a while. I was never really satisfied with the results but felt that at least I was doing SOMETHING as opposed to just letting acne rule/ruin my life. But I always felt that my skin was just not reacting well to the product - it felt really extremely dry all the time, no matter whether I moisturized or not, my skin always felt more inflamed especially around the breakouts and sometimes, it would make my face sting. I just learned to accept it I guess. I was reading somewhere about alternatives to proactive when I first read about salicylic acid. I honestly had no idea whether or not they had a line using that instead of benzoyl. So after more research and finding this, I got it and was immediately impressed. All of the irritation that I had had for years using the original formula was gone instantly. My skin did experience a period that I thought it was getting better but it never got all the way clear. But after seeing the change using salicylic instead of benzoyl, I had hope for the first time in years and I got more into the process. I called them to talk to them, see what they could recommend to get the clearing to stop plateauing and I was wholly unimpressed with their level of customer service. Not one seemed to really care about me - not to sound whiney. I was calling looking for direction, and all I felt was that they were ultimately trying to sell me more and more stuff I didn't need. And frankly, I didn't get the impression that the customer service people even knew anything about skin. Which seems like an essential thing at a skin care company, doesn't it?? I was in a mode and got into the research, talked to a bunch of people on forums and everyone was pretty much against proactive for varying reasons. I searched out alternatives and found a couple but man! it is hard to do this on your own. So I went with the one that had the best customer service reviews - Ninja. And I have to say, the customer service combined with their super potent product and I have finally achieved the skin I never even knew I could have. I now use their gentle cleanser in the morning and at night and then apply a layer of their Salicylic 3 before bed and then another layer in the am below my sunscreen. I have never had better skin. I am really happy I did the legwork and finally got my dream skin. Proactive is an easy choice, I think, because it is like the only name people know about these days for acne. it is plastered all over the place. But I don't think that their products are the most effective and I don't think that as a company they have your honest best interests in mind. My take at least.

Switching to Gentle Formula

I have used the regular Proactive products for many years(over 10 yrs), and have always loved them. I started purchasing/using in my early 20's, and I am now thirty-seven. I will admit, I use other products in between(NOT other acne products, just other skincare, as my skin allows), as I tend to use the Proactive when I'm having a breakout issue, usually during times of hormonal fluctuation. If I;m not having a breakout, I still use it once or twice per week, as honestly, Ijust LOVE the way it makes my skin feel. For those who may not know, Proactive is known to work better on acne caused by hormones, not on cystic acne, although some do find that it helps with that as well. I guess I use Proactive more as a 'medication', because I really feel that that is what it is. I know that most ppl who use it, use it all the time, but I just do what works for me. I have always used the 'original' formula, as my skin has always been combo/oily, however, at my age, my skin is changing some...still have the breakouts, but much less oil. The last three yrs or so have been rough on my hormones as well as my skin. This may be t.m.i for some of y'all, but I am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy in a few days, and I expect to have breakouts as well as other changes in my skin. I have ordered the Proactive Gentle System to prepare for these changes, as well as to start moving away from the stronger medications, i.e. benzoyl peroxide. I fully expect it to be wonderful, but I will post back regarding the new system.

Shady company - beware

Be careful buying any proactive product! they "automatically" enroll you in a continuity program, refuse to credit your card back for product you didn't order and are stuck shipping and paying for shipment. If it's such a great product, why do they have to push it on you and make it impossible to discontinue? Buy the target equivalent, pay less and don't deal with questionable business practices

Guest Mark
Guest Mark

Even tone & blemish free Cost I have been dealing with sporadic acne through most of my adult life. I would generally see light acne along my hairline and experienced persistently shiny skin. I attempted to use the standard Proactiv system but due to my fair and sensitive skin it caused severe redness and irritation. When I called to return the product they sent a gentle skin kit free of charge. It works great. I have never had such even unblemished skin!

Guest Amanda
Guest Amanda

It works!! I used the regular formula, however, it caused my face to turn red and peel after a week of using the product. When i call to ask about it they sent me free of charge the gentle formula. I LOVE IT!!. It absolutley worked. The only thing i cannot use is the refining mask, makes my face very oily.

Guest Anon
Guest Anon

does not leave skin sore and red like the regular Proactiv Works! Expensive (have to call to order) I'm wondering if most of the people before me thought that they're reviewing the regular Proactiv ?? This Gentle Formula (use Salicylic Acid instead of Benzoyl Peroxide) does not burn or dry out your skin like the regular Proactiv does. I use to use the regular Proactiv on and off for years and could only use it a couple of times a week because it's so strong and my acne not that bad. I have a lot of scarring and Proactiv does clear that up nicely and gave me very clear skin. Now after 2 children and in my 30s, the regular Proactiv was not working for me anymore. I discovered their Gentle Formula at the Proactiv kiosk as the mall and decided to give it a try. Really like it!! Definitely give it a try if you've had the same issues as me with the burning and redness. I could use this Gentle Formula twice a day no problem but I still only use it once a day and that's enough for me.

Guest Emily
Guest Emily

COMPLETELY clears acne, smooths skin texture. Takes a while to work, must use consistently for it to work. A little on the pricey side. Can be a little drying. I have been battling acne for 8 years now, tried dozens of products and regimens to get rid of my acne, no exaggeration. I used to get cystic acne, along with regular whiteheads, blackheads, etc. I have lots of pitting and acne scars from breakouts over the years. The regular Proactiv formula made my acne worse so they sent me a free trial of their GENTLE FORMULA. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE USED IT FOR AT LEAST 2 MONTHS CONSISTENTLY!!! At first, it does clear up your acne and then for a week or two it will make it worse, BUT STICK WITH IT! I've been using it for about 4 1/2 weeks now and I went from around 20 blemishes to one or two TINY whiteheads that aren't even noticeable! It is a little bit drying, but I will glady settle for a little dry skin any day over the horrible acne I used to have. I use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel to help with the dryness, it will not break you out. The trick to this working is that you must use all 3 steps, every morning and every night. If you are inconsistent with the regimen it will not work!!!

Comments

None! Dries skin out severely over rated over priced doesnt work Listen, i have been using this for TWO YEARS NOW! only because i have yet to find anything to work for my skin. so far this is the closest thing that has at least kept my skin stable. my skin has become so severely dry i will smile and my entire skin will crack . i have to scrub it off every night. this doesn't work, it hurts, and i HATE it. im trying something new. i cant deal with proactive anymore.

Guest hilari
Guest hilari

No pros really except maybe the price. I have oily skin so I figured it would really be the cure I needed but Proactiv made my skin alot worse. It was still oily but I had a million bumps, worse than ever before. People say you have to wait it out but I dont know anyone willing to suffer and look like an idiot when the reason they bought the cream is to clear up your face. duhhhhh I hated it so much! I would not recommend this product. I actually like University Medical Physicians cream or something like that from walgreens. Its about 6 dollars and its got the benzoyl peroxide which helps fight bacteria and its much milder. Orange and White bottle.

Comments

Exfoliates the face. Leaves red marks, scars, and peels the skin too much. My skin became super dried out!! Make-up ended up looking cakey on me due to my skin being so dry. Very irratable on the skin because I have sensitive skin. If your skin is oily, I wouldn't worry too much. The gentle formula is still too harsh on my skin and still made it worse so I don't recommend it for sensitive skin like mine. I switched from the BP solution, which I used for over a year.

Guest Dawn
Guest Dawn

I love this product. I have had problems with adult onset acne and have tried everything under the sun from OTC to prescription. This has made me a believer that not all info-commercials are equal!! LOVE IT!!!

Guest Joe
Guest Joe

-none! -Shiny skin -added to my acne! Proactiv is for WOMEN! Or babies to say the least, this regimen did absolutely nothing, unless you have extremely light acne(once a month or year) you should not use this stuff. This stuff came in small amounts, stained some of my clothes, and absolutely did nothing to my face, it seems it actually added to it. What also angered me is that they add you to their "monthly subscription" where they mail you 3 month supplies every month or so. This was a hidden fee and I was completely outraged when I found out I couldn't return a $50.00 supply they sent me because I needed to pay to send it back. Bottom line, don't buy this product. It's misleading, of course people on the commercials say "my skin looks better 8 years later"..of course it's going to look better in 8 years, by then your blemishes fade and you'd be cured!

Comments

Nothing This product really doesn't clear your skin as quickly as they claim. If you use this product to long it stops working. Your skin becomes immune to it. Drys out your skin and even if you use the mosterizer your skin still feels dry. You defiantly don't get what you paid for. The tubes are small. Breaks you out more. Dont waste your money. spend your money on something that will work for a long time rather then waste your money on something that works for a little while then completely stops working. Proactive is to expensive! I hate ProActive!!!:/

Popular Over-the-counter treatments