Page 2 of Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1133 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

No big improvement
Reviewed on January 2, 2017

I've seen small improvement only when taking 100mg daily, it kept my skin more or less under control. Taking 50mg daily was literally pointless.

Hope someone can relate to my story
Reviewed on January 2, 2017

Okay so here is my story I hope someone can relate:

(Also real quick a little background of my acne):

I have pretty sensitive skin, can't use any face washes or it breaks me out. My skin is usually a combination of oily and dry, but right now I have 2 topical gels that make me super peely and dry. I use apple cider vinegar twice a day, along with my PONDS moisturizer that works pretty well I think. I also use Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing water to take off my makeup.

My story:

I am a 16 year old junior in high school and am probably the most acne prone girl on campus. I have dealt with acne since 7th grade and it got worse and worse as time went by. And as freshman year came about, I had every type of acne out there- cystic, papules, pustules, scars, EVERYTHING.. So I went to a dermatologist and they he prescribed me doxycycline. Used that for a year and holy sh*t did that clear up my acne. I didn't have to wear make up I could put my hair in a pony tail without feeling self conscious I MEAN YOU GUYS THIS WAS A BEAUTIFUL TIME IN MY LIFE. So I was allowed to stop taking doxy and guess what happened, junior year I broke out like a mother f**ker and I am currently dealing with the same ugly horrific painful embarrassing acne and I am back to square one. Went to a dermatologist again and he told me to take Minocycline twice a day. He told me that 30-40% of my acne would clear up in 3 weeks. It's been two and I've seen some improvements, but I just started my period where oh my god you guys I break out so bad on my period. I get smaller cystic acne pimples that hurt like a mother and it sucks but I don't want to go on birth control cuz I really don't want to gain weight, I know way too many people who did. Anyways I am going back to the dermatologist for a follow up in one more week, and if it isn't better, he's guna want to put me on accutane which I am not happy about. I'm so tired of this f**king acne I have dealt with it for too long, I know I need to be patient but I am probably the most impatient person I know, and I hate not wanting to even be around my own family because of my insecurity. I kid you not if my acne was gone and I had nice skin, I would be really happy with myself. But it makes me feel like the ugliest girl on the planet. It's hard to look past and can I just say that if anyone i suffering from acne, which is probably the person reading this right now because lol this is a website for acne prone people, I feel for you. and I'm not just saying that, like I really f**kin feel for you IT IS THE WORST CURSE EVER. I'm going to do another update on how my acne looks in about a week because apparently my acne is supposed to clear up 30-40% in 3 weeks says my dermatologist. Much love to all you acne sufferers, & like my user name says, acne is a bitch.

TC
Reviewed on December 12, 2016

I am on my fourth day of minocycline, and the nauseousness is at an all time high! I have also had migraine headaches for the few days that I've been taking it; accompanied with canker-like sores in my mouth (all new since starting this medicine). I will say that i have already noticed a small change for the better in the redness on my face, and things seem to be drying up and flaking right off. Now, if only i can deal with these horrible side effects I'm having.

by Msrind on 04/24/2017 08:14
Take Vitamin C to avoid side effects, Cecon would be good to take twice a day.
Disappointed
Reviewed on December 11, 2016

Was on Minocycline for 1.5+ years, this did not fix my acne but it helped reduce it from severe acne to moderate while on the drug. When coming off the drug, my acne would get worse within a week and remain that way.

Did not work for me.
Reviewed on November 17, 2016

Did not work for me and messed up my body and digestive system.

Eh it's ok
Reviewed on October 27, 2016

Took this when I had moderate acne and it helped just a little bit not much noticeable though.

by Erica nicole on 11/11/2016 21:30
You have to take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water or it won't work to its fullest potential
Works… then stops
Reviewed on September 27, 2016

I have to give this 2 stars because in all honesty, when I started taking it, I thought I had found a miracle drug. I was extremely hesitant to take prescription medication for my acne because we have all heard the horror stories. But after doing some research, I thought that this wouldn’t be nearly as bad as, let’s say, accutane. And I was pretty desperate because nothing else had been working. I obviously went through all the drug store brands, then moved onto some of the fancier stuff you find at Macy’s - Jan Marini (WHOA expensive), MD complete and then moved onto other stuff like Proactive (I had to at least say I had tried it!!) and Exposed. At the end of the day, nothing worked for me. Not even a little. I would say if anything, most of the products caused my breakouts to get worse. Worse cysts that lasted longer, were bigger. It was pretty depressing. When those didn’t work, t modified my diet which was extremely difficult for me to do. Getting rid of dairy and wheat was like total hell for me and at the end of the day, I didn’t feel any better physically and my acne didn’t improve. I felt like my moods were worse just from being bitter, and it ended up affecting my home life as well. My husband told me it was like walking on eggshells around me, which is tough to hear.

I finally went to a dermatologist at the urging of my daughter who could see how much my skin was affecting me. They prescribed me minocycline and literally, after having tried so many other things, I finally felt relief. I immediately noticed a clearing for the first time in…10 years. I told everyone I could about how great it was. I was like pimping it!! Then within about a month, I started seeing the side effects. Like everyone else has said here, the headaches were unbearable and I am no stranger to headaches. No type of amount of medicine brought relief. My headaches would go in spurts so I did continue to use the minocycline for a while until I realized that it had actually stopped working as well. So now I was left with headaches and acne. So I stopped and the side effects ended almost immediately.

I have come to find out that the problem with oral antibiotics is that they do in fact work - the bacteria they kill off are a part of what causes acne but not the entire cause. Once your body becomes used to the antibiotics, they cease to work because your bacteria is immune. Great! And your acne comes back with a vengeance as it did with me.

Lucky for me, I got off of them - and I will never go back. And I have found a product that works for my skin better than anything else I have tried. Topical is the way to go!! Someone here mentioned a company called Ninja Skincare, I called and they put me on a treatment which has been my new miracle but with no side effects! and not a million bucks either. And it has been like 6 months of clear skin. And did I mention no more headaches?!

So I am the happy ending to these stories. I hope everyone has a happy ending like mine. But I would never recommend this product. Or really any prescribed medication from everything I have read. There is no good that can come out of it and your acne never truly goes away. Stay topical my friends!

Cystic acne
Reviewed on August 28, 2016

I've been taking this for several moths now,400mg.a day.I don't break out as much but I need help.I've had this problem for two years and I'm 62yrs old.some say use honey,apple cidar vinegar.HELP.I also take care of a husband with 11yrs in with Alzheimer's

by Nanomeds on 03/19/2017 05:40
Gosh, I feel for you! That's a tough road. As a health coach, I've been putting my clients on lots of probiotics both topically and for digestive system. (Try VSL #3 or something equivalently strong). Paint face with plain kefir to re-instate good bacteria. Go off conventional dairy. Experiment a couple weeks with other common irritants (eggs, wheat, soy, canola etc). Drinking raw milk homemade kefir finally corrected my cystic acne at age 35! Before I even modified my diet.
Caution
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

Take at your own risk----I started this drug around June 27th for my severe acne (paired with Aczone and neutrogina wash). I didn't really notice any side effects right off; I have a pretty strong stomach and am usually pretty immune to most forms of nausea though, so that wasn't too uncommon for me.

Around 2 weeks in I did notice the initial "purging" where my acne did get worse (I started getting some on my forehead, which I didn't used to) but by 3-4 weeks I noticed some clearing up.

By late July I was pretty stoked because I was looking way better, but by July 25th I started getting headaches. I will admit, I was being kind of stupid; I was really happy with the my face and rationalized that the drug shouldn't be acting up so late after having taken it and waited until after the 26th to stop (just to be sure it wasn't a fluke).

That was a big mistake on my part. I got THE WORST headaches that lasted 2-3 days (though I had taken my last dose on the 26th, apparently minocycline stays in your system awhile) and kept me totally bed-ridden. I couldn't move my eyes without blinding pain and nearly vomited from how much it hurt in general.

I now get to go to a doctor later to ensure I didn't develop psuedotumor cerebri (since, apparently headaches behind the eyes is one of the main symptoms of that) AND my acne is now worse---I'm going to look into birth control to see if that helps because I am now wary of antibiotics.

I considered giving this drug 1 star just because what a hellish time I had, but if I had never developed the headaches than it was working (you know, until it tried to kill me) so it may work for others, but it certainly did not work for me.

Still unsure
Reviewed on July 27, 2016

I started breaking out on my forehead around January 2016. It was mild, but my forehead became rough and bumpy. I went to the dermatologist, and he prescribed me minocycline, along with Differin and Soolantra.

After the first month or two, I started noticing slight differences. I was also having a few groups of days where I didn't have as many dark red spots. I actually thought it was working for a short time. Now, it's been 3 months, and I still have pretty bad breakouts on my forehead. I'm just not seeing any great results. My forehead still has the bumpy texture, and I still get pustules when I breakout. I haven't had a day where I don't have embarrassing sore-like zits on my face (some of it is because I pick, but I've been trying to rid myself of that habit).

My dermatologist told me it takes time for the skin to start improving for many who take minocycline, so I'm going to just wait it out for the next couple of months. If it improves, I'll give minocycline a better rating. If not, then I won't recommend this. But, everyone's skin is different, and I've read other reviews saying that it's the greatest prescription for acne.

Just hoping for the best.

by Kp88 on 10/26/2016 21:44
How is your skin doing now?!