Not Washing or Water Only reviews

UPDATED
Reviewed on June 12, 2017

I'm currently into week 9. What can I say? It's been 2 and a bit months and I've seen some good and some bad when it comes to my skin. But I want to be honest and the honest truth is, thus far, I don't think this is a solution to clearing MY skin. Maybe it'll work for others but for me it's just too damn drying. I have dry skin anyway and allowing water to dry on your face and using no moisturiser is just very tough on my skin. It's regularly flaky, always dry and if I eat or move my mouth around too much I have to check in a mirror that I don't have dry skin all over the place as the skin easily flakes and it looks pretty nasty. I still get breakouts (true these are less angry and inflamed and they certainly seem to heal a bit quicker) but I'm also getting blotchy and uneven skin as well.

I don't want to put anyone off trying this. Ultimately I'm glad I went as far along into this as I have. I'm usually 2 weeks max at trying things and then I give up, so to have stuck at it for 9 weeks is quite an achievement. And I have learned to be less critical of myself and not stress so much about my skin. I'm a lot more carefree about it. I still hate how it looks sometimes but I'm not having sleepless nights or feeling the desire to check myself in the mirror every 5 minutes.

So with that, I've decided that come the end of this week (week 9) I'm going to incorporate a moisturisor. I've researched to try and find the most organic/natural one I can. The idea is that I will still only wash my face with water but that afterwards, I'll add the moisturisor to help stop the dryness/flakiness and hopefully this will help the overall appearance of my complexion.

I should also say that, as a guy who has a beard and trims his beard hair twice a week, it's been quite difficult to do so with all this dry skin. Afterwards my face feels red raw and looks awful with all this dead skin everywhere, which I then have to try and exfoliate off gently with a wet flannel.

So, all in all, the answer for me is that I don't think this is a cure. A lot of people say they get the dry skin but that it eventually subsides. For me, it just seems to be getting more dry as time goes on and actually quite uncomfortable. Also, I haven't really noticed than I'm getting any less breakouts than before, just less inflamed ones and they do tend to clear up quicker.

I would say give this a go, try it for a least 2 months and see if it works for you. Hopefully by me making these updates it's helped others or will help you to decide if it's going to be right for you.

by mrfringe on 06/18/2017 09:26
After 1 week: My skin has had a hair few breakouts. Mostly in the areas where I usually suffer (neck, just below the jaw line) however I've also seen a lot of small white heads forming in places I don't often have breakouts. The small white heads are pretty minimal in size and aren't usually inflamed. They are easy to deal with. I've had at least 3 big cystic-like ones on my neck though which haven't been nice. Despite the negatives, my skin hasn't felt overly dry or overly greasy, which has been lovely. Into week 2 now.... I will keep updating this for anyone interested.
by kuroe on 06/22/2017 12:13
Please do update! I have almost tried everything and nothing worked except contraceptives. But I really don't want to take that again. Please and thanks!
by mrfringe on 06/25/2017 09:55
After 2 weeks: My skin definitely had less breakouts that the first week. I still had a fair few whiteheads come up but they seemed to go away quickly. I had only one large spot come up and that is still under the skin. Yesterday I had to trim my beard and it today my face feels very sore. I also had to use a sponge to exfoliate as hair from my beard was sticking all over my face and neck. Since only washing with water the natural oils on my skin make little hairs and stuff stick to it which is quite annoying. Overall, I'd say my second week was a lot easier than my first but after having to trim my beard I do feel quite dry and sore. Also I ate something yesterday which I think might have broken me a little. So right now my skin looks a little rubbish but I will continue with this 'regime' into week three and post another update next week.
by mrfringe on 07/01/2017 09:41
After 3 weeks: OK this week has been tough. More breakouts, my skin much more dry... I mean, I'm close to wanting to give this up. Say that, I do want to reach the one month mark at the very least so I'm going to keep going for another week and see where I am by next weekend. I hope into week 4 things start to get better.
by mrfringe on 07/07/2017 16:02
After 4 weeks: Okay, I made it... I'm one day away from finishing my first month. It's be tough, I won't lie. Happily, week 4 was much easier than week 3. At least the first 3 days my skin was looking a lot better. I've had a few breaks since though so I'm still dealing with some old scaring and now some new whiteheads, but nothing too huge and angry, thankfully. End of week 3 I was ready to chuck in the towel. End of week 4 I'm still feeling a little unsure on everything but I'm certain not ready to give up. I'm hoping that as I enter into my second month (week 5) I will gradually start to see a decrease in the amount of breakouts and dry skin. Only time will tell and obviously I'll up date this for anyone reading... If anyone is reading!
by mhypnotica on 07/15/2017 07:46
Please update good sir, people are reading!
by mrfringe on 07/17/2017 09:39
After 5 weeks: Week 5 was odd - started out with less breakouts but more dry skin and more blemished skin then as the blemishes eased off my skin broke out. So into week 6 I'm now dealing with a nasty breakout around my neck area (which is typically my problem area anyway) and still the flaky/dry skin. Not much else to report other than that. Skin seems to have a few days where it's 'okay' - few breakouts and any I get are tiny whiteheads that go within a day or two. Then I'll get a few big ones come up. I'm not seeing any drastic improvements, it must be said. However, as I'm already one month in and into month 2 now I am really keen to keep on going until I reach the 3 month mark (typically when people who've succeeded in this regime say you start to notice a huge improvement.) So I may not keep updating this weekly as there isn't much to actually update, perhaps bi-weekly or just at the end of each month.
Hopeful! Please help!
Reviewed on August 15, 2017

As a child, I had flawless skin. I had a few breakouts during middle school and decided to see a dermatologist. Everything went downhill from there. They decided to put me on antibiotics and topical, which cleared up my skin for a year but then my skin got 10X worse. I had cystic acne all over my face They decided to put me on more medications and topical and nothing worked. I decided to go to an esthetician and she cleared up my skin but her treatments left me with acne scarring. She did micros, chemical peels, she even had some sort of red light tanning bed. It wasn't actually a tanning bed but those beds are supposed to help with healing. After a few years being with her, she decided to move and my skin decided to get worse. This time, I had enlarged pores and an orange peel skin texture. I went to the dermatologist and they suggest to go on Retinoid again. I didn't see any improvements so they suggested to try fraxel. Of course, I decided to do that because as an acne sufferer for 8 years now I was helpless and depressed. I just wanted something to cure my skin. I finally decided to quit all the chemicals and just clean my skin with water these past two weeks. My skin doesn't break out as much and isn't red or inflamed. I really wish that I never decided to see a doctor for my skin and just washed with water but I can't dwell on the past and I just have to be hopeful this will get better. I now know that if I ever have kids, not to trust doctors so easily because they're mostly in it for the money, unfortunately. Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? Also, has anyone had their pores minimize by washing with only water? I know breakouts have been getting better for most of these reviews but Ihaven't seen anything for pore sizes or orange peel textured skin. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated!!

Acne sufferer for 17 YEARS
Reviewed on August 9, 2017

As the title says, I've been suffering from acne for over 17 years (I'm in my early 30's now).

As you can imagine I've used everything on the market incl. medication (Neutrogena, cetaphil gentle skin cleanser, Nivea, Clearasil, Simple, Balea, Lavera, Sukin, Shiseido, Epiduo, Duac, Tetraysal, etc etc..) The list of products I've used is long and I can't remember all of them, I've used very expensive things and anything in between. I've been to countless dermatologists and nothing really worked.

In the beginning of this year I had a really bad break out. I cleared that with going completely dairy free (and it has remained acne free ever since), but one spot is still hanging on for dear life. Doctors claim it's acne vulgaris. But I still believe that's a load of cr..

You would get more than one spot and it would go within weeks and then come back in a different area on your face. Anyways, after getting loads of meds prescribed (which cost me an arm and a leg) I've decided to stop using ANYTHING on my face.

No water, no moisturiser, no makeup, no toner, no serum, no oil..NOTHING.

I'm on day 4 today ,and yes I realised this is a bit early for a review, but I wanted to post anyways, because things are happening.

My face doesn't feel tight anymore, it's less red and the weirdest thing yet: My pores are cleaning themselves, it seems. They are literally pushing out little white worms of sebum. I've never seen anything like it. The spot on my face is still there at the moment, but I can imagine that it might go down soon.

Our skin is our biggest organ and it needs to be left alone. I truly believe this. We spend so much money on all these chemicals and do they ever work? No, they wash off your oils and leave you needing moisturisers and you're back at square one.

I'll try this caveman regime for 30 days now and leave all water off of it. After that I might try cold water once a day (evening) to see how that goes. I'm a bit scared of the dead skin mask that people talk about, but maybe it won't be so bad. Also, I mentioned this before, I will not use ANY makeup. This will be hard , as I love foundation and all that jazz, but the skin needs to be left alone completely.

I might update, if anyone wants to hear about it. Until then I can only say: Leave your skin alone. Most men don't do anything to it and look much better than most women without makeup.

Please read!
Reviewed on August 6, 2017

I have had cystic acne for over FOUR YEARS!

That's a long time. 😂 I was only ten years old when it started, which is just great right?

Here's what cleared my body (and face) acne.

1. Wash only with water. No soap. Body, and face!

2. Shower (water only!!) in cold or lukewarm water.

Hot water drys your skin out, and opens the pores to bacteria, which will obviously make it worse.

3. Drink PLENTY of water. Distilled or bottled water is best for you, and your skin.

I drink about 6 bottles of water a day, though I'm trying to drink more recently. Keep yourself hydrated!

4. NO TOUCHING.

Picking, popping, poking, or scrubbing will only make your acne worse. Hands off! :)

5. Get plenty of rest, and go to bed and wake up at the same time. It's easier said than done, but try your best.

6.EXERCISE! Sweat it up! Rinse with water after a good workout, but don't stop exercising. It's good for your skin as well as the rest of you. :)

7. And above all else, just ignore your acne. I know that's hard to do, (believe me I know) but don't let it bother you. Lots of people have acne, even though those people are conveniently the people you don't know. I promise other people have it.

I did, and not stressing about it helped the most.

Leave it alone and use your time doing for others instead of worrying about your skin. Whenever you are tempted to worry or pick, just find something to do that will bless someone else. Think about somebody other than yourself for a while. There are far greater problems in this world than acne, even though acne can be very debilitating for your confidence.

Good luck!

by randomgirl14 on 08/21/2017 22:05
hey! I have a question. I never wash my face anymore, occasionally just with water. (i have never had severe acne just moderate and mild, some whiteheads ect.) i am on clindoxyl gel prescribed by the doctor, and was wondering if its better to wash your face with water or to not wash it at all?
TRY IT!!!!
Reviewed on August 1, 2017

I'm honestly shocked. I've had moderate acne since middle school, and a mess of hyperpigmentation spots all over my face. I've tried every medication, wash, treatment on the market- onexton, retin-A, tazorac, clindamyacin, epiduo, even natural stuff like apple cider vinegar. I had the last straw when washing my face with HONEY majorly broke me out. My sister said to try just water. I thought "my skin is so oily, that will only make it worse!" BUT I was desperate and guys.... it's a miricle. After 2 DAYS- my pimples from the breakout are all FLAT. My red hyperpigmentation is even faded! I'm barely even oily by the end of the day. I'm so happy. My only regret was not doing this months ago!

My regimen is to simply splash cold water on my face every morning and before bed. I let my face air dry too. THATS IT- no spot treatment or anything. Just water or it won't work!! It's truly amazing. I know you might be skeptical like me, but when your acne is as bad as mine was you're willing to try anything! I hope this works for you, best of luck to all of you!!! :)

by Frustrated girl on 08/19/2017 11:40
So are u 100% clear from acne now?
20 days in.
Reviewed on July 23, 2017

I am 22 years old, and have had acne and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and forehead for the last 6 years. I had tried so many things, including Dan's regimen. I settled on using Dan's BP, with Cetaphil moisturizer and cleanser, and these got me somewhat clear for a while, but never cleared my acne 100%. Previously I had doing my facial routine twice a day, and for the longest time I thought that I had extremely oily skin, as it would literally take 4 blotting sheets to soak up the excess oil on my face. Now I realize that BP was actually causing me to overproduce sebum, rather than to control it. It worked at first but after 4 years, I think it has much less of a positive effect on my skin now.

I noticed that my skin did not heal quickly, causing hyperpigmentation. I believe now that BP kills the acne bacteria, but in turn, damages the skin's natural ability to heal and function normally. I tried to quit BP twice in the past, using natural remedies, and I also had one previous crack at the caveman method. Both times, I broke out like crazy, as if I was going through withdrawals, and therefore I quickly switched back to BP.

This last time, I decided to do a water only wash, but only in the morning. The whole point is to allow your skin to get back to a point where it can function on its own, without interference from other chemicals or excessive washing.

Initially I went through a period of very dry skin, which was such a contrast to the permanent shine of excess oil that I had been dealing with before. My skin was just fine for maybe a week. About a week and a half to two weeks in I started breaking out intensely. Little red spots on my forehead and whiteheads all over my cheeks. This difference though was that these came to a head and healed much faster than before. Still though, my skin looked about 2x as worse as it had before. I was so close to quitting at this point.

Cut forward to about 20 days, I feel as if my skin is much more healthy. It still feels dryish and tight with some excess oil production, but I am getting almost no new breakouts now, and if I do get some, they are very small and not irritated, much different from what they were before, and they heal fairly quickly. I really am seeing a difference. My hyperpigmentation that previously took months to lighten, seems to be lightening up as well, strangely.

I did try the PURE caveman method once before, with no water whatsoever, and this did NOT work for me, so again, this may not work for everyone. In addition I don't think this will necessarily work if you are 16-18 and in the height of puberty, as I really think that my hormones are pretty balanced at 22, and my acne is now different than it was when I was that age.

I will keep you all posted! I have high hopes.

It works for me!
Reviewed on July 22, 2017

I used to struggle and be so self conscious of my skin. Three months ago, I had skin that was borderline horrendous. People who were close to me said I had to take better care of my skin. Little did they know I was trying EVERYTHING! I started cleaning my diet, avoiding dairy, using bentonite clay, natural face masks and everything you can think of. I was so angry and sad since I tried so much and nothing worked. I kept waking up to some new pimple in the morning.

Fast forward three months and here I am so happy with my skin. Two days ago, my friend said my skin was glowing, and BOY, was I so happy to hear that! For the past three months, the only thing I've been using on my skin is water and sunscreen. I kid you not, I did not get a single NEW pimple ever since. While the old ones took their time going away, it was sure worth the wait. ALSO DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE, THIS IS SO IMPORTANT, NO POPPING ESPECIALLY!

I did get a little tan by using only water but my skin is GLOWING! I really hope this review will help someone. I can eat whatever I want now and feel so happy knowing I don't have to check for new pimples everyday. Using cleanser on my face was the problem for me, this may not work for you but its worth a try.

I wash face twice a day with cold water and pat dry, I don't wear moisturizer at night. I only use a Japanese sunscreen from the brand "Biore"during the day.

Good luck guys!

by Frustrated girl on 08/19/2017 11:42
Do you just let water run in your face? No rubbing? Or exfoliating?
"Wash" face with water once daily
Reviewed on July 10, 2017

I had a perfectly clear complexion in high school, but right after graduation, I began cleansing my face with cleansers because I had a small "breakout" on the corners of my nose. I say "breakout" because I know now that it was just severely red, dry, and cracked skin. Slowly more and more breakouts began appearing. I kept trying products, oil cleansers, milky cleansers, gel cleansers... Nothing worked! So just last week I took a breath in and asked myself, "what did I do in high school"? The answer was, of course, nothing! I "washed" my face once a day with warm water (sometimes I would apply a toner when my skin felt dirty) and applied a moisturizer afterward. It's been one week, and I have nothing on my face. It even cleared up during that time of the month (For the girls out there wondering) No new breakouts and the old ones are healing. I am so happy in my skin and my pockets are thanking me too!!

Advice please
Reviewed on July 5, 2017

Today is my Day 7 of washing my face with water only. One the first 3 days, everythg was okay, only some whiteheads coming out around my chin. But then, on the following days, 3-4 red bumps bumping out. I'm not sure whether it works or not. I only wash my face with water in the morning and the evening. But my face is still very oily. What should I do? I am so anxiety. Should I continue?

by SanctifiedDew on 07/24/2017 04:19
I would recommend using a spinning facial brush, just to get rid of any dead skin that might be building up and clogging pores :)
how to wash your face properly
Reviewed on June 26, 2017

Wash your face twice a day. Use cetaphil soap. Use face tissue or disposable tissue to wipe your face and dont rub your face just be gentle to pat it dry. I never use towel to wipe my face dry coz' it feels rough. If i have a pimple, i use lipstick at night (non glossy lipstick, basically red lipstick), dont put too much. Its healing after a day. Dont pop your pimple to avoid more pimples to spread. Drinking a lot of water can help reduce pimples. Also calamansi or lemon juice with one tablespoon sugar in water. I Hope that this will help you reduce your face skin problems. Until now my skin keeps improving. Just be discipline to follow the steps. Just post your comments below if you have other concerns related to this.

by Goku Black on 06/27/2017 12:29
I Also discover alternative for lipstick. Try calmoseptine ointment on pimples. It helps reduce itch, redness and shrink pimples.
by thebadapple on 08/09/2017 07:52
Cetaphil soap (gentle skin cleanser) is full of bad ingredients. It only has a few ingredients, but most of them are bad for you. I literally can't even wash my face with that stuff, it turns bright red afterwards and gets tight and dried out. You're best off skipping cetaphil.
by thebadapple on 08/09/2017 07:52