Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser Reviews

Brand: Neutrogena

Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

Excellent for my skin <3

I know that this cleanser may or may not work for different types of skin, but i found this cleanser great and moisturizing for my skin, and most - all of my acne has gone away. I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND :D

Comments

Made a big difference to my mild adult acne

I am 35 with mild adult acne - ie. at worst 10-12 medium-sized spots on face and neck. This cleanser has been transformational for me. I used to use a non-fragranced cream cleanser but I guess this must no longer have been right for my combination skin, which has become acne-prone since my daughter was born four years ago. A couple of months ago I started using this cleanser day and night, in combination with a much lighter moisturiser than I had been using, and the results have been amazing. I am barely getting any spots at all, even in the run up to my period when they tended to be much worse. As others have said, it also doesn't dry out your skin at all. Possibly not right for those with moderate/ severe acne, looking at the other reviews, but this has been such a great solution for me.

Meh Meh

This product is okay at best. I used it for a week and nothing happened. My acne didn't get better or worse. Not a great product, but not a bad product.

Gentle

I don't use this all the time as I tend to be more on the oily side, but during drier times this stuff is great. Simple and gentle' doesn't break me out. Good things all!

Good for dry skin!

I tried this product last year and i love it!! I just like how it moisturizes my skin while cleansing my face. While many neutrogena facial wash leaves you skin dry after washing, this doesnt! But it would be better for dry skin because it doesnt cleanse as deeply compared to other gentle cleansers. So wouldnt recommend it for oily skin.

Comments

It felt nice but I believe it broke me out

This is a gentle cleanser which feels lovely. Although it burnt me while I was on differin. I prefer a cleansing water like bioderma sensibio h2o its not oily but gentle and it never burns , im prone to eczema so I'm really sensitive. To each their own.

Comments

leaves my face feeling oily

I never really feel like my skin has gotten clean after i use it. Its almost too moisturizing. it definitely did not dry my skin out by any means. I feel like it left my skin over oily and greasy. I also started to break out worse after using it. i could never get it to lather up, it just goes on like a watered down lotion. I have combo skin, slightly sensitive. This may work very well for others.

I use it every morning

This cleanser is great and has lived up to my expectations. I don't have overly sensitive skin but it seems like it would work well for all skin types. This cleanser doesn't leave my face feeling dry/tight or cause any acne which is a huge plus. It is a weird consistency, kind of like a milky lotion but I'm okay with it. If you wear a lot of makeup you might want to use a wipe beforehand because this cleanser isn't the greatest at getting everything off.

Simple, gentle

Gentle Doesn't help acne Expensive This is a nice cleanser for sensitive skin! It didn't make my face red/burn It doesn't really help with getting rid of acne though..I saw no difference

Not what I had expected.

Relatively inexpensive Non-overdrying Irritated Acne Burns Redness While others may be sucessful when trying this cleanser, I found it to be irritating to my senesitive skin. It burned upon application and did not have any moisturizing affects at all. However, everyone's skin is different

Dan

My favorite non-foaming cleanser

Ultra-gentle Moisturizing - great for super dry skin Milky texture feels "kind" to the skin Not great to use as a "shave cream", although it will work in a pinch More expensive than Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser per ounce This product looks like a sort of thick milk when it is dispensed. It has a fantastic milky texture which is ultra-gentle and kind to the skin. It washes off well and leaves the skin nice and moist. The formulators at Neutrogena did a bang up job on this product. It can be a little harder to find on store shelves, but it's worth the effort. As far as non-foaming cleansers go, this one is my favorite. I prefer it to Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.

Comments

- gentle - no fragrance - no irritation so far - none so far I like this cleanser a lot. I finally realized that gentle cleansing is key when you have acne :) So far no breakouts, which is definitely the goal here.

Comments

-does not dry my skin out, at all, and is in fact very moisturizing -breaks me out, minutes after using it :( I used this product a few times, and I've realized that it breaks me out along my jawline -- at first, not in acne, but more like an allergic reaction. Then, it breaks me out in acne. I'm really disappointed because I love how it doesn't dry my skin out...but it just isn't going to work out, I suppose. Oh, well. I hope it works out for others :)

I experienced an allergic reaction, where I developed rash like pimples (about 10 of them). The second time I tried it it gave me two painful pimples. I rarely have such painful pimples now a days. Sadly, this one didn't work out for me either.
Guest Cassia
Guest Cassia

-Extra gentle :P (just like it claimed) -Soothing smell -Easy to spread -Good amount for the price -Lasts a while -Great if you have redness you need to calm down -Great if you like the skin to feel moisturized after washing -NO SLS!!! :D -Doesn't quite decrease oil buildup -Must be rinsed extra well to avoid leaving a film on the skin -Can clear minor blemishes (ie: tiny whiteheads) but not he more severe ones that I have on the sides of my cheeks (ie: big red pimples that hurt to the touch) -Has parabens I think this is one of Neutrogena's better products. Although it might not be the best at eliminating acne (gel or foaming gel cleansers are more effective, in my opinion), it's still a great cleanser if you have minor, minor blemishes that appear around that time of the month or just very small whiteheads. If you have those bigger, more severe red breakouts on the side of your cheeks, this will not clear it. Sometimes, I make the mistake of purchasing harsh products or I have a reaction to a product I try. This cleanser will always calm my skin down. If I use it for a couple days after an offensive product irritated my skin, my skin will look noticibly less red and feel more comfortable. This does not help with oil production whatsoever so don't get your hopes up about that. Overall though, this is an adequate product for everyday use but not very good if you have oily skin like I did. I do love that it doesn't have sulfates because those can really irritate sensitive skin. But I am disappointed that they have parabens. But best of luck finding your perfect product!

Comments

Cleanses well, takes off makeup Moisturizes :) None that I can think of. This is my favorite cleanser! Yay! Leaves skin soft and smooth feeling, and puts moisture back into skin. I've never felt that with any other face wash, so its nice. I don't get that tight, stripped skin feeling when i dry off. If you know what cetaphls texture is like, this stuff is more lotiony, like its white and creamy, which i think is why it works better at taking off makeup than cetaphil. Works for me, may work for you. Happy experimenting!

Comments

Leaves skin soft and not tight Combats redness Doesn't aggravate acne It doesn't lather much Hear that it doesn't remove makeup, I don't wear much This is the best cleanser I have ever used! After using Neutrogena skin ID for about a month and a half (on and off) my skin was tight and red and my skin was probably the wost it's been in a while. I had cysts and it was irritating. This doesn't tighten my skin and makes it feel super healthy! I use it along with the olay face brush because it does not lather that much. Afterwards I put on the Aveeno clear complexion moisterizer and my skin is clear, smooth, and healing. I recommend this cleanser for anyone with sensative skin.

Guest Sarah
Guest Sarah

makes skin so soft, doesn't make me break out doesn't always remove makeup but i normally cleanse twice or use a tissue to remove excess I love this cleanser, I have spent so much money trying to find the right one and finally I've found it! I used to have little bumps everywhere on my face (clogged pores) and after using this for a few weeks they're pretty much gone and I get no new breakouts (apart from the occasionally hormonal one). it's really gentle and I always wake up with baby-soft skin. mum used a bit of mine once and loves it too so she keeps stealing it! I would recommend this to anyone with sensitive/normal skin who just wants a good cleanser to help clear up their face.

Comments

Once I started using this product my breakout across my chin cleared up and no other pimples have returned..which is usually what happens. May not remove all your makeup if you kind of wear a lot. You'll have to combine with another product like a makeup removing wipe. It works! I wash my face with this in the morning and at night before bed. After that I put some witch hazel on a cotton swab and apply all over my face, then once that drys I apply a spot treatment of 2.5% Benzoil peroxide on the area where breakouts usually occer. Once a day I exfoliate with a gentle scrub ( don't scrub your face like crazy... lightly rub) before this whole process.

Comments

gentle cleanses well/removes makeup softens didn't break me out annoying smell (even though it says fragrance free?) contains parabens (but what doesn't these days) I really like this stuff, its very lotiony which I'm not used to for cleansers. I use Cetaphil too when Im visiting my moms, and this stuff is a little heavier. Im not too picky when it comes to cleansers because they go down the drain in like 10 seconds! Overall I use this off and on and never have any breakouts and my face feels smooth and moisturized.

Comments

My skin feels softer It doesn't sting I have broken out a bit The cleanser doesn't sting. However, I have broken out in small pimples in areas that I usually don't have much acne. This could be because I have only used it a few times. I am going to try it again but not every night.

Guest Amanda
Guest Amanda

Does not dry out skin, No tight feeling after washing, Very gentle. Works well on oily/ sensitive skin. None I have combination skin, and this stuff works awesome! I apply one pump directly to skin and massage in for 1 minute. after a minute i add a little water to my finger tips and massage for another 30 seconds, then do a final rise with warm water and then i pat my skin dry. This stuff is awesome you can rub it into your eyes to remove mascara and it does not sting at all! Every 3rd day i use a washcloth at night to exfoliate and my skin is super soft! I highly recommend this product because your skin is not suppose to be tight after washing! And this leaves your skin normal and hydrated. If you do still feel you need moisture the Garnier moisture rescue GEL works great for combination skin with this cleanser!

Comments

it is really good for day to combination skin good at healing acne kinda expensive to teenagers i am suffering from serious breakouts for a month, and everyday after i go to school, my whole forehead is like itchy and full of red acne, but i just use it for two days, and is swear i see a difference , my redness are gone and the acne is less itchy. Actually i try this product before, but after i used it up, i think it is too expensive so i didn't use it again, but somehow it is the best cleanser i have used

Comments

My skin feels really soft after using this. No harsh odor, very easy to use. None! I have very sensitive skin, so whenever I used any form of face wash I would always break out and/or my skin would dry out horribly. However, I decided to give this one a try and I'm extremely happy with this product! It doesn't dry out my skin, and my face hasn't had any negative reaction to it! Will definitely be using this from now on.

Guest Nicole
Guest Nicole

Very moisturizing, skin feels extremely soft, doesn't irritate my skin, very gentle, clogged pores are coming to a head/clearing most likely because I'm no longer stripping my skin with SA products and scrubbers. Stung my skin at first, but face is getting used to it. I was under an extraordinary amount of stress last year which caused my face to erupt. I've been using products with SA in them and they were stripping my skin, causing even more oil production and clogged pores. I've never had a problem with my skin, so of course this was all very devastating. I began searching for a new lotion and came across Neutrogena products; I wanted something that would not aggravate my extremely sensitive skin but that would get it clean and moisturize it. I do believe I've found that in this cleanser. I've been using this for 4 days and already see a marked improvement in my skin. My pores are closed or reduced, clogged pores are becoming unclogged, my skin looks brighter and feels like butter. It saddens me to think that, if I had done a bit of research last year, I could have nipped my acne in the bud, but I appreciate this product so much more now that I have struggled with my skin. I'm excited to see the improvements in my skin as I continue using the product. Oh, I'm also using the alcohol free toner as well as the oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin.

Comments

- VERY gentle - Cleanses well without completely drying out skin (like medicated cleansers tend to do) or leaving a residue - Fragrance free (there is some smell but I like it) None! Some people complain that this feels more like lotion than a cleanser but I love this smell and texture (The Cetaphil cleansersmelled too harsh and was too liquid-y for my taste). My face does sometimes feel dry after washing but this is because I use a lot of BP and washing away the moisturizer makes my face feel dry. Sometimes my face looks very pale afterwards but I've learned that those are dead skin cells and I gently wipe them off with a tissue when my face is still damp. I've been using this cleanser as part of the DK regimen and my skin is completely clear (I put that my acne is light but that was before I got on the regimen, four weeks ago).

Popular Liquid