Nature's Way Vitamin A Reviews

Brand: Nature's Way

Nature's Way Vitamin A

Doesn't work at all, at least not within 30 days

I once used roaccutane (some derivative of vitamin a) that cleared my acne completely. Now, many years later, I'm starting to relapse, so I thought I wanted to try over-the-counter vitamin a. I took 4400 micrograms/day (1500 IU) for 30 days with zero results. I took before and after photos each week or so and compared them carefully. Nothing, it's not working at all. I have superficial acne, not cystic.

Broke me out!

After 4 days of taking it. I got very small pimples, BUT super PAINFUL ones. Since accutane worked for me in the past, I wanted this product to work for me but it just didn't. It actually gave me body acne while I was on it. I took 10K IU's per day. I stopped taking it, and my painful small zits went away.

Comments

Get the beta carotene vitamin A to stay non toxic!!!

Beta carotene as vitamin A supplement is totally safe and you can not over dose. Eat sweeet potatoes to increase your natural dose of vitamin a ...as well- read on the acne free culture of the Kitavan people. Cheers to clear skin!!! [link edited out]

Comments

This stuff is a miracle worker!!!

Hey guys so im new one here i actually just signed yp to write a review so others can know how much this stuff works!!! So just a little background on my years of acne. So in high school i had perfect skin onky a blemish here and there. My sistee was using pro active and i said "hey lets try this what coukd it hurt" right?!?!?! WRONG!!! My face went crazy i had a terrible reaction to the pro active! !! This was all very new to me, i was the girl everybody complimented on how beautiful my skin was. I stopped taking pro active but not before it left me a lil something behind CYSTIC ACNE!!! MY confidence and self esteem went way down. So my dad took me to the dermatologist and with all tne pills, creams, and ointments nothing worked k was gettinf very frustrated. So i stopped taking everything they prescribed me and just didnt do anything. After years of partying my face showed it i was in college and we drank a lot. So I stopped partying and just taking better care of myself and my cystic acne started going away (i got very lucky ). But i still had a lot of scarring and mild acne so i said enoughs enough lets try something you havent tried before. So instead of rubbing over the counter face sh*t i said let's fix this from within. BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!!! My best friend gave me some of her vitamins she takes and with it there was vitamin a and the green supplement you take to get in your daily veggies. So after one day of taking both of em i woke up the next morning and my skin was glowing!!!! I couldnt believe it even with the mild acne before my face never glowed unkess i had make up on. So i continued doing what i was doing. I kept to my skin care regime which is cetiphil face wash for sensitive skin, then i started steaming my face with just hot water and a rag, then after that i use beauti control face toner. I jjst take a cotton pad and use a lil bit at night. But ive bee using this regime for over a year and i still had mild acne. My face is so sensitive that i cant use any benzo products or salicylic acid products it irratates my skin. So its bee a week and this morning i woke up and my boyfriend goes babe your skin looks amazing!!!!! Weve bee together for over 4 years so he knows the struggle I've had with acne. So i went to the mirror in the bathroom and OMG I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! My face is less red, my scars are fading and no new pimples! !!! I also use honey and lavendar as a spot treatment. You dont need much just a dab of botb especially lavendar because its very potent!! All i do is dab it on a pre existing pimple or ome that i feel is coming in and the next day poof its almost completely gone!!! So just to let you know what i took, i use vitamin a 10,000iu from gnc and the supplement is called all day energy greens. I hope this helps anybody whose struggling with acne i know how much this ruins peoples self esteem. If anybody has any questions please ask i feel as though this is a total game changer i know it has been for me!!!

I just tried doxycycline and I broke out so bad. I've only been on it for less than three weeks and I was getting two Cystic pimples a day. I couldn't take it anymore and finally researched and found vitamin A works for some people. Do you take (1) vitamin A tablet a day? Do you have any side effects from taking it?
What brand was the energy greens from??? Please reply thank you.

20,000 IUs worked for me

I have oily, hormonal acne skin. Before vitex, taking 10,000 IUs of vitamin A did not seem to make a difference. About six weeks after vitex started clearing my skin, I wanted to clear out some stubborn old zits so (after careful research) I doubled my vitamin A to 20,000 IUs and it made a huge difference. Aside from some initially very dry lips, I have had no negative side effects and my skin tone improved dramatically. The old stubborn pre-Vitex cysts are clearing out and my old blemishes are less noticeable.

Can I buy Vitamin A pills over the counter?

IT HAS BEEN MY SAVIOR !!!

Hi everyone! I have been lurking on these boards for a while now trying to find my almighty cure and I have finally found it thanks to you guys! Ever since I switched my birth control a few months ago , my skin has gone haywire. I wouldn't say its HORRIBLE, but moderate acne feels horrible to me. I do the oil cleansing method with coconut oil and take zinc which manages it but I still get bumps here and there and it sucks and took a toll on my self esteem. I read all over that other vitamins can help cure you from the inside. I had nothing else to loose so I thought I might as well try. I bought some NOW brand Vitamin A 25,000 IU tablets, some SPROUTS brand Vitamin E 400 IU and take it with my zinc 50 mg tablets.I take one each after I eat my breakfast. LET ME TELL YOU.... I HAVE NOT HAD ONE BUMP SINCE TAKING THESE!!!!! I am in complete shock! This along side with my habits of drinking lots of water has cleared my skin! So PLEASE, if you are feeling sad and fed up with your skin, just try it you have nothing to loose! :D EDIT: i bumped my vitamin a intake to 10,000! At 25,000 iu it made my skin quite dry! Best of luck to you all!

I've been taking 100,000iu for a few weeks now and i don't have any of the effects yet.. My skin is still oily and I get pimples here and there almost every day. I've also been on vitamin E and zinc gluconate 50mg as well, and my acne is still here. Any advice?

Seems to work

Hello all, So I'm doing a lot of things to control my horrible onset of cystic hormonal acne. I mistakenly went off of birth control after having been on it for 12 years and my skin went crazy. I'm almost at the end of my second pack and things finally seem to be under control. I now mostly have hyperpigmentation. Up until recently, my skin was awful and I'm pretty sure starting this birth control made things way worse. SO...In addition to birth control, this is what seems to have worked for me. And trust me I have tried EVERYTHING and spent countless hours researching this. I'm also a nurse and doing a research PhD so I am providing you all with what I believe to be the best information and tips I've come across. I've listed many things but if you're only interested in vitamins go to point 9. Good luck! 1) I'm on my 6th week of Doxycycline 2) ICE! Every morning I ice my spots. This really helps reduce size and inflammation and there are no risks 3) Green tea (loose leaf organic. I drink it and apply the leafs to my face 5 days a week), I also take ECGC green tea extract pills. Clinical studies prove that this works for acne. So if you're going the green tea route check that the ECGC content is high. It's typically higher in loose leaf teas. Otherwise just buy the extract pills. 4) NO DAIRY, SOY, GLUTEN, or OILS (except coconut oil). I also started a VEGAN DIET 5) CETAPHIL products- I stopped washing with water and only wash with the foam cleanser, it seems weird but I find that it significantly reduces redness. I also only wash once per day if I'm not wearing make up. I moisturize once per day with the day SPF moisturizer. 6) MAKE UP: Physicians formula non-talc liquid mineral make up. I researched every ingredient in several products and this was the best product I found. I had to import it from the US (I'm living in Australia at the moment). I also have not worn any make up on my skin for 2 weeks. I am on a school break and had 2 weeks off of work because I was supposed to go on vacation but had to cancel because my skin got so bad. Sad I know but things are finally clearing and I've been able to work on my PhD thesis from home...I also learned to cook. So if you also plan to isolate yourself, MAKE THE MOST OF IT!! There is light at the end of the tunnel. 7) 2.5 % BENZOYL PEROXIDE: I had given up on harsh topicals because my skin is so freakin sensitive and I found that Differin, Retin A, and anything over 2.5% BP made my skin look so much worse. However, 2.5% is PERFECT! it even reduces the look of the redness when it's applied. If I have to go out I have it on my pimples and I honestly don't care. It's probably only noticeable up close. 8) LOWER YOUR STRESS: Seriously ladies this is so important. Especially if your acne is hormonal. One night i was freaking out because I was supposed to go on vacation to visit a beautiful Greek boy I know and woke up with 4 new spots. Three of them were cystic. I've found that since cancelling and relaxing at home my acne is much better. 9) VITAMINS: Ok so I'm a little ridiculous when it comes to this and I now have a pharmacy in my room. But these are the best vitamins and supplements for acne. As a disclaimer, I wouldn't recommend always taking the Vitamin A like I have been doing because it can cause liver damage. So on that note: 1) Vitamin A- Retinyl Palmitate: I am mega dosing on these. So for the past three weeks I've been taking 10 a day. I realize there are risks with this but I've been getting my liver enzymes checked and I am fully aware of the signs of vitamin A toxicity. You could just try taking 1-2 per day. The logic behind this is that Accutane is a derivative of vitamin A in huge quantities. Mega dosing can really help some people. 2) Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide): this is the active ingredient is most expensive skin brightening/hyperpigmentation creams. I also break the caps and rub them right on my acne scars 3) Vitamin C: I mega dose with this as well. It tastes delicious and there are no risks with toxicity. I also have this in powder form (Skinstitute brand) and put directly on acne scars 4) Vitamin E. 4) Saw Palmetto (also great for hair) 5) Liquid Silica (also great for hair) 5) Omega 3 fish oil (also great for hair) 6) Zinc Ok my friends this is all of the advice I have. If I had to pick and choose from this list I would prioritize antibiotics to help you get through the initial break out phase on this birth control, Ice, green tea extract or loose leaf organic tea, and Vitamin A Retinyl Palmitate. Feel free to e mail me with any questions: john0994@flinders.edu.au (John is the beginning of my last name. My name is Shev). Cheers!

I'm almost on my third week of doxycycline and I'm breaking out like crazy. Cystic pimples daily. Did you have that initial breakout too? I'm didn't take the doxy today because I'm so fed up with it already. Any advice ?

WOW!

Okay guys, I NEVER write reviews, but I really have to for this!! Background: I havw had acne since beggining of 2014 it is now mid 2016 I have tried every thing under the sun. I had beautiful skin in highschool started breaking out at 21 years old and I'm now 24. The breakouts turned CYSTIC in 2015 and I was on anti biotics, went vegan, went gluten free, supplemented with many different things, took probiotics , used oil cleansinf method and no soap, I even got neurotic and bought a water filter, showerhead filter, things would work for a bit but it always came back and with a vengeance. O feel confident in writing this review becUse it has been one full month mega dosing vitamin A with my naturopathic doctor, you guys, am seriously 100% clear. I drink 100,000 iu of vitamin A Muldoon drops in a glass of water after breakfast. I cleared up after one week and it's stayed consistantly clear. Cystic acne AND tiny closed comedones I had on forehead , this is amazing. It is a very high level of vitamin A but I have ZERO side effects. Other than clear skin, I leave the house without makeup and have self confidence and NO anxiety. Please please give vitamin A a try!!!! I wish I tried years ago.

you are sexy as hell. Thanks for sharing though

Here we go again...

I'm about to start taking a daily 10,000 IU dosage of Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate, a little bit less potent than retinol) while also applying Epiduo at night (I haven't seen a change while on Epiduo but I'm scared to stop the treatment). I hope this works and I can finally get rid of my mild acne. Could anyone tell me if this is a safe or good idea? Thank you. :)

Helps with oily skin

Last July/August, I started taking GNC's capsules which had 5000 iu vitamin A & 400 iu vitamin D twice a day. It helped a lot with making my skin less oily. Before, my skin used to look so shiny just an hour after washing my face & I used to carry soap to school to wash my face at lunch time. By September I was able to get through the school day without washing my face. Sometimes I just need to blot with a tissue. It didn't make my skin 'dry' though. I'd still say I have oily skin but it's way less problematic now. Now I take a higher dosage of vitamin D with it (2000 iu) & I also take other supplements. It also helped with acne but I will say it's not a cure all.

Comments

SAVED MY LIFE AND DEPRESSION !

I was severely depressed being 24 and still having horrible acne. Okay not horrible it was mild but it was a build up because I dealt with severe acne growing up and the only thing that made it mild was dieting , cutting out dairy and sweets and cows milk I switched to almond milk and I went to an allergist to find out I was also allergic to eggs and peanuts which gave me forehead and chin acne. I sacrafice and cut these all out and started to lose a lot of weight because I was paranoid if every food because I still Mildly broke out. I took vitamin A before when I was about 18 and broke out so badly that I just toss the whole bottle but it was the beta caretone version. This year my sister said she was gonna try NOW brand vitamin A and I warned her that it broke me out badly in the past and not to. But she listened to the good reviews on here and purchased. I notice that her skin was clearing after a week and so smooth and then after three weeks no new acne. I had nothing to lose I was so depress because I my mild acne was becoming bad again and I was tired of losing weight and watching my diet so much. I tried her bottle before I bought my own and listen to me, my skin PURGED! This is retinoids version so idk if there is a difference with beta caretone but this version also broke me out in the first 4 days. I'm at th point of my life where there is nothing to lose so when I purged I didn't even react much like I use to. It's either you wanna purge to clear skin or you want to not purge and not ever experience the great affects of Vitamin A. The purge was like a week and then my skin started clearing and better yet HEALING! My red marks started getting a faded gray which is better because it was easier to lighten with fade cream! I'm a Caremel African American and I started to scar so easily until this vitamin. You want to know the best part of the vitamin? I can eat what I want now ! I still avoid peanuts and eggs but sweets I can finally eat again because vitamin A helps so much that I stopped breaking out. If I do it's sooooo small and last like a day or two, really small small small bump. So small and that's rarely. I have my life back and even though I'm healthier now with my diet since I'm use to it now I can still cheat and eat what I want and not suffer consequences. If you take this vitamin please take vitamin d3 with it which also helps with skin. Also make sure you take one a day not two, and also buy NOW version (Retinol) thank you so much vitamin A, my bacne is gone, my acne is pretty much non existence and I'm not scared of food anymore. It really saved my life and saved my summer. Also thank my sister for not listening to me. Acne will slowly cure or greatly vanish from the ROOT problem. Not just external factors you have to start from internal! Try it!

Comments

Truly the only thing in the world that really, really works--but be careful!!

I have self medicated on Vitamin A after Accutane completely changed my life, then failed me after a year :/ I started with 10,000 IUs a day and bumped up to 20,000... my skin is as perfect as it is going to be without time taking away my scarring (which is not bad at all, really, thank god). I literally have no blemishes on my face right now...not even a little one...and this is coming from someone who, just a month ago or two ago, and some pretty bad cystic legions. I am also 5'4 and 120 pounds. This really works but PLEASE, don't be stupid and take 100,000 IUs a day, that's a good way to get extreme, irreversible liver damage. Start off at a reasonable ratio to your body weight. It doesn't take much for it to be effective. It's worth mentioning that I also wash with Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and CeraVe for oily skin, and use a Retin-A cream every night, along with a mask for half the week.

Finally a miracle!

Hello, I just wanted to say I'm a 31 year old female who has suffered from cystic acne for about 10 years now. I work in a spa and have tried many laser treatments, chemical peels, detoxes, drinking clay..... and oh the list goes on and on. I'm sure most of you can relate! The ONLY thing that has helped has been Vitamin A. My homeopathic doctor put me on a daily dose of 100,000IU's of vitamin A and my skin is acne free! I was worried about such a high amount building up in my system since Vitamin A is not water soluble but my doctor said it was fine. If you get headaches you should cut back to 75,000IU's or lower. I'm not a doctor so I would suggest meeting with yours before going out and trying this but it has absolutely been a miracle for me. I also drink about 100 oz's of water a day, follow a clean diet, and start my day with a green smoothie that has ginger and turmeric in it to help clean toxins from my liver and reduce inflammation in my face. Once in awhile I do a two week cleanse with a liver detox. Good Luck!

How long until you saw results with Vitamin A?
Did you get chapped lips from this?

36 years old, tried EVERYTHING...Vitamin A saved my skin.

From the time I was 13, I have suffered from severe acne. When I say severe, I mean I had acne all over my face and back coupled with painful cysts which would grow under my skin. It destroyed my confidence. At the age of 19, I tried Accutane for the first time and I'm happy to say it permanently eliminated the back acne, but two years later, my face acne returned and I had to go on a second round of accutane. Again, I saw success, but only for a couple of years after treatment. The acne has persisted well into my thirties, and I have tried every treatment known to man: astringents, creams, soaps, diets, drinking Apple Cider Vinegar (oh god, I will never touch that stuff again), herbs, vitamins. Accutane is expensive and is extremely difficult to obtain for a woman, and sometimes it can take months to actually start treatment if you can't get in to see a dermatologist soon and have to go through the tedium of proving you aren't pregnant, on two forms of birth control, etc. So I have been taking 27,000 I.U of vitamin A (The kind that is Retinol-derived) daily for the past few months. It takes a bit to see results, but my skin looks wonderful. No more cysts, no more zits. I look great for the first time ever.

Comments

Vitamin A supplements damaged my liver!

I ignored all of the cautions about vitamin A toxicity and thought that "they" wouldn't sell a product over the counter if it could be dangerous. And, I thought, it's just a vitamin so how much harm could it do?? The answer is A LOT. I took high doses of Vitamin A (can't remember how much exactly but somewhere between 25,000 and 50,000 IU, and within a couple weeks, I was getting nauseous after every meal. I passed out twice, once in a restaurant after breakfast and once in my parent's kitchen. When I went to the doctor, they discovered my liver was inflamed. The problem is that Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, no a water soluble one, so it only leaves your body when fat stores are burned. In other words, once you reach toxic levels it's not easy to detox. Here's some science to back up what I'm saying: [link edited out] Long story short, it's been years, and I only took it for a couple weeks, and I'm still showing signs of liver disease. And for those of you whose vanity prevents you from caring about your health, you should know that disease in the liver often manifests in your complexion and your nail and hair health. People who are dying of liver failure have gross, sallow, pasty complexions with large pores. Bottom line, it's NOT worth it. Stay away.

Anyone who made it at least half-way through high school would know that vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin and that you can OD on fat soluble vitamins. It's actually pretty common knowledge. It's your own fault that you didn't do any research or pay attention in your science class and caused yourself liver damage.
Umm that person's comment was unnecessary and rude. I'm sorry that you're dealing with liver damage due to this, and I thank you for sharing it with us as I was considering vitamin A as a remedy for my acne. I graduated high school with honors, and was not aware the terrible side effects that could be caused by this vitamin, so this rude person's comment was stupid, inaccurate, and was in no way necessary ...
How many pills were you taking each day?

Destroys Bacne, Improves Acne

I had moderate-severe acne from age 14-18 (peaking my 1st yr in college which was awesome) and at that point my derm finally recommended a course of accutane. That gave me roughly 6-7 years of clear skin with mild, normal breakouts here and there. My skin then progressively got worse until now (28). Because I had no insurance, I started researching an alternative approach and discovered isotretinoin was synthesized from retinol (vit A) and that several studies predating the synthesis of isotretinoin had indicated that large doses of A were effective in treating acne. Taking megadoses of A comes with side effects and possible hepatoxicity so there is a risk. I urge you to research instances of A toxicity in medical journals and take note of the dose. I began taking mega doses of A (I won't say the actual amount but it was way north of 10,000iu). My skin started improving in days. My bacne and chest acne (which was considerable) cleared up 95% in the first month. My face still breaks out but it is improved about 70%. I got dry lips, mild joint pain, and other typical side effects. I am past 3 months of my course but will most likely continue for 2 more months (5 mo total). The amount my body acne has been cleared has been dramatic. I still have acne but this has been well worth it for me. Just had to share my experience. Hopefully this helps someone.

Wouldn't recommend

It's just not healthy to supplement with vitamin A. If you want to go that route, it's better to go through a regimen of Accutane supervised by your doctor. I don't even really recommend Accutane if you can help it. Megadoses of vitamin A and Accutane are so hard on your body & have bad side effects. I've taken vitamin A and I've taken Accutane (not at the same time). Even though Accutane cleared my skin for 1 year, I wouldn't take it again. I experienced the same side effects with both. However, with the OTC supplement, I felt like my skin stuck in a never-ending purge whereas on Accutane, there was one bad initial purge.

Comments

Reduced size of cystic pimples. Dried out pimples faster and healed quicker. Skin became extremely dry. Need a good quality moisturizer and take fish oil as well. My naturopath told me to take 50,000 I.U daily to help with my cystic acne. She also advised to skip on food that can cause inflammation (tomatoes/ potatoes/junk good/ sugar). I food liquid fish oil (lemon flavoured and ate lots of fish and veggies that are good for your skin (avocados/leafy greens). Also was told to get at least 30 minutes of sun on my face per day. My skin dried out a lot and it was very red and flaky but the size of my pimples drastically changed after 2 weeks. I am still on the pills and will be meeting with a dermatologist in a month to decide the best course of action. Overall tho I wished I had started this over a year ago when my acne started to get bad. I would recommend it to those who are looking for a solution. Stick to it tho and don't miss a dosage. I take 20,000 I.U in the morning, 10,000 with breakfast and 20,000 with dinner. Drink lots of water as well. Hope this helps someone out there.

Guest MeyMey
Guest MeyMey

CLEARS SKIN DRAMATICALLY , SKIN NO LONGER OILY, SCABS HEAL QUICKER, CHEAP DRY SKIN, POSSIBLE LIVER ISSUES, CHAPPED LIPS After years of trying countless other treatments (doxy, zinc, OTC & prescription treatments, chemical peels, natural remedies, TTO,etc) To my dismay, My dermatologist FINALLY recommended I try Accutane. (He was very anti Accutane). I was thrilled, that is, until I discovered my insurance wouldn't cover it and I couldn't afford treatment since I had bills/rent/tuition that I could barely afford to begin with. After thoroughly researching tons of acne boards and medical websites I came to the decision to start taking Vitamin A, as a substitute for Accutane. Although it's not advised, I've been taking "megadoses" of Vitamin A. (60,000 - 120,000 iu) per day and after just a couple weeks my skin looks TREMENDOUSLY better. I really wish I knew about this before. I am aware that there are MAJOR RISKS associated with toxicity levels of Vitamin A. So before anyone tries it, discuss it with your doctor, or at the very least do your own research.

I live in the UK and I was thinking about doing this (I have tried everything else) how many capsules per day were you taking?
Guest K
Guest K

-Effective -Safer than accutane -Reduces Oil Production Dramatically -Be bery careful about Toxicity Level First and foremost, I am 25, male, and I get cystc acne, very painful deep cysts on my forehead, usually very oilly skin. With that, I have taken everything, antibitoics, topicals, masks, every vitamin under the sun, you name it - I tried it.. My derm wanted me to take accutane, but I refused and decided to treat my acne holistically. Reading up on accutane, I decided Vitamin A might be a good place to start. It has to be in the form of Retinyl Palmitate, perferrably mixed with Beta Carotene. I am taking a 25,000iu Retinyl(10,000) Beta(15000). Be very, very careful with toxicity. It happened to me. Your liver will hurt, joints, head will POUND, eyes blurr, it is not fun. You have to be smart about this. Try one pill every other, or even every 3 days. Also, take Vitamin C and Zinc ( Airborne Chewable - Berry my fav :) ) Keep up your facial regimine, twice daily, light mosturizer only on the spots that need it, and salicylic acid spot treatment at bed time.

Popular Vitamins/Supplements