Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1137 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Minocycline Oral Antibiotic

Absolute no change in skin
Reviewed on February 9, 2018

My skin did not improve or become clearer at all. I was on Minocycline for over a year...wtf that's so not healthy. I don't recommend.

Cleared my acne!
Reviewed on February 8, 2018

I have had really bad acne since age 15 (I'm now 20) and I literally tried everything. Proactiv plus, Murad acne kit, tons of topical creams and nothing worked. I had 3-5 active breakouts on my face daily. After trying everything I kinda accepted that I probably will just have acne for the rest of my life (not to be dramatic but it felt like that). I went to my family doctor for a check up (not for my acne) and she asked me about my acne and if I felt like it was getting better. I told her no it's only been getting worse (at this point it wasn't as bad as it was in the past). Finally she recommend that I tried taking minocycline and mentioned that my acne needed to be treated from the inside.

I had little to no expectations since I had never heard of it and expected it to not work like everything I had tried in the past. I took the 100mg twice daily and within TWO days I started seeing immediate results! It started off with me waking up with no break out at all to the surface of my skin being completely smooth within 2 weeks. I was so excited because I literally couldn't remember ever seeing my skin that clear.

To cut the story short, I started taking it May 2017 (prescribed a three month bottle but I was able to make it last longer since my skin was clear) and my skin has been cleared for months. I get break outs when I'm not taking the pill or just during PMS.

Needless to say it worked for me and please don't get discouraged by other people's reviews. Acne treatment is difficult because everyone skin reacts differently to everything. Try it, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!!

Side note: I didn't experience any side effects aside from REALLY dry skin for about a week and then it went back to normal

Horrible- Not Worth The Side Effects
Reviewed on January 28, 2018

I took minocycline for a year back in 2015. I am BARELY getting off the side-effects in 2018 which says a lot about this stuff. I’ll leave a list below of the side effects to keep it simple.

Migraines

Dizziness

Terrible Nausea

Constant yeast infections (due to an unbalanced PH level. Minocycline kills ALL bacteria in your body. GOOD AND BAD)

As time went by I noticed:

Horrible Joint Pain

Yellow Stained Teeth

HIVES and a FEVER (I ended up at a hospital because my hives were getting out of hand and my joints were killing me!)

Of course I saw improvements in my acne, but as soon as I made the decision to stop taking this, I stated to break out AGAIN.

From the bottom of my heart, do not take this pill. If you decide to do so, do NOT take this for more than 6 months. It is NOT WORTH IT!

works for a few months
Reviewed on December 21, 2017

I started taking it in july and it worked great, by september i was only getting about 4 small pimples a month. But once it hit november it started to not work? i started breaking out as much as i would before i started taking it. So i went of it and started spironolactone.

Horrible reaction, and did nothing anyway!
Reviewed on August 16, 2017

I was prescribed this as a second to last option (last being Accutane). I was on it for 2 weeks, when I started noticing my face getting VERY dry and red. Shortly after that, my body swelled up in all the major joints (knees, knuckles, elbows, and so on), and I also experienced facial swelling, hives that would come on and off for WEEKS (some were nearly 12 inches long), I began having terrible migraines, anxiety, couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours or so at a time, was nauseas, so dizzy for weeks, had digestive issues and the list goes on.

I of course stopped the medication but for weeks the symptoms wouldn't go away. The dermatologist believed it was Serum Sickness but they weren't sure. I was also experiencing such bad swelling in my hands i couldn't write, or grab things for multiple days. I stopped the medication 4 months ago and to this day still have hives that show up exactly where I was getting them on the medication. For weeks I felt like I was dying, I felt so weak, sore, and itchy 24/7 with hives. The reaction lasted just over a month. about 4 weeks, and then finally started to go away. I had to quit my job because the hives weren't manageable with any medication or ointment and I was so swollen, weak, sore, and was having terrible migraines and vertigo some days I couldn't even leave bed.

I was put on an extremely high dose of Prednisone for 2 weeks and had to stop after seeing no difference.

This medication is so risky and I've read so many other horrible reactions, that is it really worth it? I also had no improvement with acne.

Horrible reaction - Not worth your time
Reviewed on July 30, 2017

I took minocycline - 50ml once daily - for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after taking doxycycline (but was getting wicked headaches from it, so switched to the mino). My skin started to clear up, but I was apprehensive taking mino because of all the reviews I read... but I decided to try. I wish I didn't!

Be warned, because what I went through/still going through was pretty scary stuff.

I woke up in the middle of the night with my elbows, knees, back of my legs, hands/wrists, knuckles and the soles of my feet covered in what I thought were mosquito bites (I thought I was attacked while I slept). But then more started to appear as the day went on. And then my feet start to swell, and my wrists started to balloon. I woke up again in the middle of the night to my feet and hands on fire, itching/burning.

I went straight to my GP, and he told me that I was having a reaction to the minocycline, Steven Johnsons reaction (google it). He gave me a 7 day cortisone steroid prescription and said if I didn't start seeing a difference after 4 hours from taking the pill to get my butt to the ER. THANK THE LORD it worked.

It may have just been me, but be careful, this drug is intense, and in my opinion... NOT WORTH IT. Sure it cleared my skin... but I would take my hormonal acne any day over what I'm going through. Every itch I freaking me out.

Dont even bother with it
Reviewed on July 22, 2017

i went on minomycin around 3 times or so and it only cleared my teenage pimples up the first time, the 2nd and 3rd it didn't improve my skin and was an utter waste of time. not sure why multiple doctors gave me this same antibiotic 100mg a day, which was useless time after time. I was so faithful and truly believed that the minomycin would cure my acne but i was wrong. i would give it 0 stars if i could.

Not worth it I promise
Reviewed on July 5, 2017

I was on Minocycline 100mg 1qd for the first week and 1bid for 3 weeks before I developed an allergic reaction which was serum- like sickness. I had swelling and hives that mainly on my joints for 5 DAYYYSS!!! It started on Saturday, On Sunday my bottom lip started to swelling on Sunday and I knew it wasn't a big deal because if it was going to spread to my throat it would have happened fast but everyone insisted I go to the hospital, which I did and they prescribed me Prednisone 60mg 1qd for 3 days and Hydroxyzine 25mg 1tab po every 6 hr prn for itching well its Wed. still itching like crazy! but no cystic acne as of yet it’s been 5 days since I've took then antibiotic I do not plan on starting anything like it again.... if this didn't work my derm. Wanted to do Accutane but after this I rather just have acne.

No visible difference
Reviewed on June 24, 2017

I took 50mg dosages of minocycline twice a day (morning and night) for 5 months and I never saw any significant improvement. Even after I went off the antibiotic there was no real difference to my skin. However, on the plus side, I never experienced any negative side effects like the ones posted about.

Minocycline 50mg (Help?)
Reviewed on June 13, 2017

I've been taking Minocycline (50mg, oral) for about 2 1/2 months now Worked great at first, 50% of my acne vanished after the first week, and about 95% of my acne was gone by the end of the second week. For the next month and a half, I think I got a grand total of about three zits (which is a very low number for me), and I was very happy with the results. About a week and two days ago now, my acne has come back with one heck of a vendetta- I have twelve new spots on one cheek/jaw, more than that on the other, a few spots on my forehead around my eyebrows, and even a few spots on my cheekbones/under eye area (which is a place I have never previously gotten acne/had a problem with).

My diet hasn't changed, I've been exercising exactly the same as I always do, wash my face with the same products as always, and haven't had any increase in stress levels (you know, except for the stress caused by the return of my acne).

I was wondering if the minocycline could have stopped working after just 2 1/2 months, or if anybody has any other ideas as to why my acne may have returned?

I do plan on going back to my doctor, but he can't see me for a few days, and my graduation/prom is the day before he can see me, and as that event was a big part of the reason I so desperately wanted to get my skin cleared up, I thought id reach out on and see what others have to say. Additionally, if anybody who has had a similar problem could share how they cleared their skin with me I'd really appreciate it.

Additional and Background info:

18yo female. I have combination skin (dry/oily) that is pretty sensitive. Until about a year ago, I have never had more than a blemish or two, my skin was pretty 'normal' (perhaps a little on the dry side, but definitely never oily), and minimal redness (I'm pretty pale so my skin was always a bit 'pink' but now half my face is just...red). Out of what felt like nowhere, my skin turned awful, and I suddenly started getting blemishes. At first I'd have about four or five which at the time felt like my face was covered, and then my skin started to get oily too, and eventually more than half my face was covered in spots. More than that, before when I would get the odd blemish/spot, it would disappear without a trace, and now every spot I get leaves a scar...Does anybody know why that is? Anyways, I tried every face wash, acne cream, mask, cleanser etc. I could get over the counter that had worked for other people, I researched diets that were supposed to be good for your skin/help with acne, and I added supplements/vitamins meant to be good for your skin etc. Nothing made even the slightest difference. Skin to about nine months later, I finally went to see my doctor about it, and he prescribed the minocycline. I just want clear skin, and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

by DearGarlic on 07/06/2017 22:18
It could be that you've managed to cultivate a bacteria that is resistant to that particular antibiotic. Normally the way it happens is you either stop treatment too early, and the only bacteria that are still alive are the resistant ones, and then they multiply, or you forget doses, or don't take the whole prescription.
Powerful. Proprietary. Proven.
  • Powerfully effective
  • Pharmaceutical grade
  • Guaranteed effective
  • Doctor/Dermatologist recommended
  • Used in acne clinics worldwide
  • 100% non-comedogenic
  • Fragrance-free & dye-free
  • pH balanced
  • Scientifically formulated for acne-prone skin
  • Developed by the experts at Acne.org