Minocycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.2/5 - 1133 reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Product Pictured:
50 mg, 75 mg, or 100 mg of Minocycline.

Magnesium stearate and starch (corn), D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, gelatin, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate and titanium dioxide.

The 100 mg capsule shell also contains black iron oxide.

Minocycline Oral Antibiotic

Horrible reaction, and did nothing anyway!
Reviewed on August 16, 2017

I was prescribed this as a second to last option (last being Accutane). I was on it for 2 weeks, when I started noticing my face getting VERY dry and red. Shortly after that, my body swelled up in all the major joints (knees, knuckles, elbows, and so on), and I also experienced facial swelling, hives that would come on and off for WEEKS (some were nearly 12 inches long), I began having terrible migraines, anxiety, couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours or so at a time, was nauseas, so dizzy for weeks, had digestive issues and the list goes on.

I of course stopped the medication but for weeks the symptoms wouldn't go away. The dermatologist believed it was Serum Sickness but they weren't sure. I was also experiencing such bad swelling in my hands i couldn't write, or grab things for multiple days. I stopped the medication 4 months ago and to this day still have hives that show up exactly where I was getting them on the medication. For weeks I felt like I was dying, I felt so weak, sore, and itchy 24/7 with hives. The reaction lasted just over a month. about 4 weeks, and then finally started to go away. I had to quit my job because the hives weren't manageable with any medication or ointment and I was so swollen, weak, sore, and was having terrible migraines and vertigo some days I couldn't even leave bed.

I was put on an extremely high dose of Prednisone for 2 weeks and had to stop after seeing no difference.

This medication is so risky and I've read so many other horrible reactions, that is it really worth it? I also had no improvement with acne.

Horrible reaction - Not worth your time
Reviewed on July 30, 2017

I took minocycline - 50ml once daily - for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after taking doxycycline (but was getting wicked headaches from it, so switched to the mino). My skin started to clear up, but I was apprehensive taking mino because of all the reviews I read... but I decided to try. I wish I didn't!

Be warned, because what I went through/still going through was pretty scary stuff.

I woke up in the middle of the night with my elbows, knees, back of my legs, hands/wrists, knuckles and the soles of my feet covered in what I thought were mosquito bites (I thought I was attacked while I slept). But then more started to appear as the day went on. And then my feet start to swell, and my wrists started to balloon. I woke up again in the middle of the night to my feet and hands on fire, itching/burning.

I went straight to my GP, and he told me that I was having a reaction to the minocycline, Steven Johnsons reaction (google it). He gave me a 7 day cortisone steroid prescription and said if I didn't start seeing a difference after 4 hours from taking the pill to get my butt to the ER. THANK THE LORD it worked.

It may have just been me, but be careful, this drug is intense, and in my opinion... NOT WORTH IT. Sure it cleared my skin... but I would take my hormonal acne any day over what I'm going through. Every itch I freaking me out.

Dont even bother with it
Reviewed on July 22, 2017

i went on minomycin around 3 times or so and it only cleared my teenage pimples up the first time, the 2nd and 3rd it didn't improve my skin and was an utter waste of time. not sure why multiple doctors gave me this same antibiotic 100mg a day, which was useless time after time. I was so faithful and truly believed that the minomycin would cure my acne but i was wrong. i would give it 0 stars if i could.

Not worth it I promise
Reviewed on July 5, 2017

I was on Minocycline 100mg 1qd for the first week and 1bid for 3 weeks before I developed an allergic reaction which was serum- like sickness. I had swelling and hives that mainly on my joints for 5 DAYYYSS!!! It started on Saturday, On Sunday my bottom lip started to swelling on Sunday and I knew it wasn't a big deal because if it was going to spread to my throat it would have happened fast but everyone insisted I go to the hospital, which I did and they prescribed me Prednisone 60mg 1qd for 3 days and Hydroxyzine 25mg 1tab po every 6 hr prn for itching well its Wed. still itching like crazy! but no cystic acne as of yet it’s been 5 days since I've took then antibiotic I do not plan on starting anything like it again.... if this didn't work my derm. Wanted to do Accutane but after this I rather just have acne.

No visible difference
Reviewed on June 24, 2017

I took 50mg dosages of minocycline twice a day (morning and night) for 5 months and I never saw any significant improvement. Even after I went off the antibiotic there was no real difference to my skin. However, on the plus side, I never experienced any negative side effects like the ones posted about.

Minocycline 50mg (Help?)
Reviewed on June 13, 2017

I've been taking Minocycline (50mg, oral) for about 2 1/2 months now Worked great at first, 50% of my acne vanished after the first week, and about 95% of my acne was gone by the end of the second week. For the next month and a half, I think I got a grand total of about three zits (which is a very low number for me), and I was very happy with the results. About a week and two days ago now, my acne has come back with one heck of a vendetta- I have twelve new spots on one cheek/jaw, more than that on the other, a few spots on my forehead around my eyebrows, and even a few spots on my cheekbones/under eye area (which is a place I have never previously gotten acne/had a problem with).

My diet hasn't changed, I've been exercising exactly the same as I always do, wash my face with the same products as always, and haven't had any increase in stress levels (you know, except for the stress caused by the return of my acne).

I was wondering if the minocycline could have stopped working after just 2 1/2 months, or if anybody has any other ideas as to why my acne may have returned?

I do plan on going back to my doctor, but he can't see me for a few days, and my graduation/prom is the day before he can see me, and as that event was a big part of the reason I so desperately wanted to get my skin cleared up, I thought id reach out on and see what others have to say. Additionally, if anybody who has had a similar problem could share how they cleared their skin with me I'd really appreciate it.

Additional and Background info:

18yo female. I have combination skin (dry/oily) that is pretty sensitive. Until about a year ago, I have never had more than a blemish or two, my skin was pretty 'normal' (perhaps a little on the dry side, but definitely never oily), and minimal redness (I'm pretty pale so my skin was always a bit 'pink' but now half my face is just...red). Out of what felt like nowhere, my skin turned awful, and I suddenly started getting blemishes. At first I'd have about four or five which at the time felt like my face was covered, and then my skin started to get oily too, and eventually more than half my face was covered in spots. More than that, before when I would get the odd blemish/spot, it would disappear without a trace, and now every spot I get leaves a scar...Does anybody know why that is? Anyways, I tried every face wash, acne cream, mask, cleanser etc. I could get over the counter that had worked for other people, I researched diets that were supposed to be good for your skin/help with acne, and I added supplements/vitamins meant to be good for your skin etc. Nothing made even the slightest difference. Skin to about nine months later, I finally went to see my doctor about it, and he prescribed the minocycline. I just want clear skin, and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

by DearGarlic on 07/06/2017 22:18
It could be that you've managed to cultivate a bacteria that is resistant to that particular antibiotic. Normally the way it happens is you either stop treatment too early, and the only bacteria that are still alive are the resistant ones, and then they multiply, or you forget doses, or don't take the whole prescription.
its ok..
Reviewed on May 15, 2017

My doctor prescribed me minocycline 100mg twice a day for about a month and a half. When I first took it, my stomach ached. After the first week, there was no results. In the second week, my skin broke out like CRAZY but in the third week, all my breakouts disappeared. My skin was clear until I finished taking it. As soon as I stopped taking it, my skin broke out on my cheeks and chin and it stayed like this till I found a new treatment. My forehead stays clear for some reason after I took minocycline. I WOULD RECOMMEND NEUTROGENA stubborn acne face wash. It cleared me up very quickly and did not break me out when I stopped using it!

WORKED THEN STOPPED WORKING
Reviewed on March 22, 2017

IT WORKED GREAT when I first started taking it a year ago 100mg, I then was told by my Doc to take 50mg every other day to eventually get off of it because my skin was finally clear then it came back again milk nothing crazy so I went back to 100mg everyday and now my skin is the worse ever, zits on cheeks, and jawline this started in Feb this year, im on 200mg MONDAY-WED-FRI AND 100 MG ON TUES-THURS-SAT and so far Nothing my face is horrendous, im 32 years old and can't take Accutane so Im going to see a dermatologist in Toronto I heard shes one of the best so I hope whatever gets done WORKS and I stay clear!=(

by shebby003 on 04/05/2017 08:43
Please let us know what she says!
by stressed123 on 04/12/2017 18:01
i saw the dermatologist today, she told me to stop taking minocycline my family dr should have not told me to keep taking it after 3 months, and I should have gone to see a dermatologist when I first started experiencing acne in my last 20's, anyways, she told me I have a severe case of acne, hard to treat which made me really disappointed to hear, I definitely was not expecting that =( she suggested I use her skin care line which I read is great expensive but great, I will stick to that but she also said I should do PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY FOR ACNE, I read oneline, the super red face, discomfort, pain, swollen, peeling has worried me and pushed me away from even doing this sadly, I work in an office dealing with clients on a daily basis I cant look like I was burned alive it's horrible to even think of that, if there was no downtime I wouldn't be so worried, anyways, I called back and receptionist is going to have Dr (dermatologist) call me back tomorrow for an alternative treatment effective but no downtime if have to do a few more treatmetns than the photodynamic and it will help me I rather do that but I can't bare with pain and the suffering of this treatment, I know everyone is different but from what I have seen everyone turns beat red, sunborn gone bad and pain I just can't im very sad and stressed, I stopped taking minocycline I have since oct and feb was my worst month so I hope it stays the way it is until I find a treatment that wont make me suffer wish me luck=(
Short time fix
Reviewed on March 21, 2017

When my skin go bad for the first time in my life so I went to a local dermatologist. When she first saw me she prescribed this antibiotic along with Epiduo. It took 3 months for me to see results. And the results were great I had and clear skin and skin looked glowing for the first time! I was so happy and pleased the only thing is that my dermatologist gave me such a high dose 200mg a day and had me on for 6 months which was long for any antibiotic! It killed all my bacteria in my intestine.. so I recommend taking some probiotics with this medication. Fast forward a year my skin got terrible because I was put on birth control to help my hormonal acne. At the time it wasn't so bad and I so wish I never won't on birth control because my acne blew up worse then it did the first time! I had painful cysts all over my forehead and acne all over my face and I was so depressed. I quit the Birth control and went back on Minocycline but I was put on 100mg a day and was only on for 3 months and I took a probiotic with it.

I've been off Minocycline for 6 months now and my current state of my skin is ok.. it's still healing and I still have acne but no were bad as it was. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation and redness from the terrible break out of the birth control. This antibiotic is only a short time fix. It won't solve your problem. I used it twice to clear a bad moderate break out but other wise I'm not going back on it. For me I needed just a clear slate and this antibiotic did help with that. Now I'm more focused on how to properly take care of your skin with a good diet skincare, and drink nothing but water! Of course it's hard to have a healthy diet and I do tend to break because of my bad sweet tooth. If you are dealing with a bad break out and don't want to go on Accutane, this is the second best thing without being as harsh.

by stressed123 on 04/12/2017 20:26
hiii! I just got off minocycline now too been on for a year worked great the first 6 months then I got it back again even on 200mg and 100 mg still breaking out, I hope it doesn't get worse than what is now until I figure a solution for this, I went to a dermatologist today she suggest I do photodynamic therapy its scary I don't want to so I am waiting for her to call me tomorrow with a second plan because I cant even think of the pain, burning, red skin and peeling I just cant praying thinsg gets better and for you too!!
PLEASE READ: Dangers of Overusing Antibiotics
Reviewed on February 13, 2017

I was perscribed tetracycline, doxycycline, etc. for 3-6 months each course. While I was on these antibiotics my skin was perfectly smooth. Naturally, I wanted to upkeep this level of improvement so I continued to use these antibiotics. Because of the overuse of antibiotics I have developed a skin condition called "pityrosporum folliculitis."

There's is a delicate balance of bacteria and fungi/yeast on our skin. Which, for the most part, is there to benefit the human body. By overusing or inappropriately using antibiotics, this balance can become disrupted and cause an overgrowth of the fungi/yeast. This imbalance resulted in "acne-like" bumps all over my neck, chest, and back. I was genuinely devastated and spent an entire summer seeing a psychologist because I felt so depressed over it. This condition is not curable, it is ONLY treatable.

There's not a day that goes by that I wish I had explored other alternative to heal my acne. I have been able to keep it under control for the most part but like bacteria, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So please do not try to "fix" your acne with a temporary solution that can lead to long-term consequences.

*For the record I am not against taking antibiotics when necessary but doctors should not be allowed to prescribe them for acne.

by Jenbra on 03/21/2017 04:05
I strongly agree with you in that doctors can over prescribed antibiotics. When my skin was bad my dermatologist had me on 200mg daily for 6 months...Crazy. Killed all my good bacteria. I'm sorry about the skin condition you developed.
by stressed123 on 04/12/2017 20:30
I couldn't agree wit you more, my doctor didn't want to send me to a dermatologist he kept saying they will tell u what I am saying to you, but that wasn't the case, the dermotlogist I went to today told me they don't keep ppl on minocycline for longer than 3 months my doctor is wonderfull but when it comes to skin when I firest went to go see him he should have sent me to a dermatologist