Minocycline Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Brand: Minocycline

Minocycline Oral Antibiotic
3.21,193 reviews

My first love...

I have suffered from acne since I was 15-16. I am 19 now. Mino was the first oral antibiotic to COMPLETELY clear my acne. And I had it severe people. SEVERE. It completely took it all away within a few months... I was so relieved! However, little did I know it would come back, and would result in me being put on/taken off three more different antibiotics for 3 years. Today, my acne is still not where I would like it to be, and I am actually starting spironolactone soon, as (hopefully) my acne is mostly hormonal and can clear that way. Youngsters out there, this may not be your end all be all. But a temporary fix is for sure.

Cleared my acne!

I have had really bad acne since age 15 (I'm now 20) and I literally tried everything. Proactiv plus, Murad acne kit, tons of topical creams and nothing worked. I had 3-5 active breakouts on my face daily. After trying everything I kinda accepted that I probably will just have acne for the rest of my life (not to be dramatic but it felt like that). I went to my family doctor for a check up (not for my acne) and she asked me about my acne and if I felt like it was getting better. I told her no it's only been getting worse (at this point it wasn't as bad as it was in the past). Finally she recommend that I tried taking minocycline and mentioned that my acne needed to be treated from the inside. I had little to no expectations since I had never heard of it and expected it to not work like everything I had tried in the past. I took the 100mg twice daily and within TWO days I started seeing immediate results! It started off with me waking up with no break out at all to the surface of my skin being completely smooth within 2 weeks. I was so excited because I literally couldn't remember ever seeing my skin that clear. To cut the story short, I started taking it May 2017 (prescribed a three month bottle but I was able to make it last longer since my skin was clear) and my skin has been cleared for months. I get break outs when I'm not taking the pill or just during PMS. Needless to say it worked for me and please don't get discouraged by other people's reviews. Acne treatment is difficult because everyone skin reacts differently to everything. Try it, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!! Side note: I didn't experience any side effects aside from REALLY dry skin for about a week and then it went back to normal

As it turns out, you cannot take minocycline for the rest of your life, sigh. So after a few months with PERFECT skin, i got prescribed a lower dosage (50mg), and my acne came back slowly. The 50mg barely does anything for my skin. It's not as bad as it used to be but the cystic acne and random breakouts are back and in full action. I got prescribed birth control (Nortrel) for my acne, so well see how it works!

Horrible- Not Worth The Side Effects

I took minocycline for a year back in 2015. I am BARELY getting off the side-effects in 2018 which says a lot about this stuff. I'll leave a list below of the side effects to keep it simple. - Migraines - Dizziness - Terrible Nausea - Constant yeast infections (due to an unbalanced PH level. Minocycline kills ALL bacteria in your body. GOOD AND BAD) As time went by I noticed: - Horrible Joint Pain - Yellow Stained Teeth - HIVES and a FEVER (I ended up at a hospital because my hives were getting out of hand and my joints were killing me!) Of course I saw improvements in my acne, but as soon as I made the decision to stop taking this, I stated to break out AGAIN. From the bottom of my heart, do not take this pill. If you decide to do so, do NOT take this for more than 6 months. It is NOT WORTH IT!

works for a few months

I started taking it in july and it worked great, by september i was only getting about 4 small pimples a month. But once it hit november it started to not work? i started breaking out as much as i would before i started taking it. So i went of it and started spironolactone.

Comments

Horrible reaction, and did nothing anyway!

I was prescribed this as a second to last option (last being Accutane). I was on it for 2 weeks, when I started noticing my face getting VERY dry and red. Shortly after that, my body swelled up in all the major joints (knees, knuckles, elbows, and so on), and I also experienced facial swelling, hives that would come on and off for WEEKS (some were nearly 12 inches long), I began having terrible migraines, anxiety, couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours or so at a time, was nauseas, so dizzy for weeks, had digestive issues and the list goes on. I of course stopped the medication but for weeks the symptoms wouldn't go away. The dermatologist believed it was Serum Sickness but they weren't sure. I was also experiencing such bad swelling in my hands i couldn't write, or grab things for multiple days. I stopped the medication 4 months ago and to this day still have hives that show up exactly where I was getting them on the medication. For weeks I felt like I was dying, I felt so weak, sore, and itchy 24/7 with hives. The reaction lasted just over a month. about 4 weeks, and then finally started to go away. I had to quit my job because the hives weren't manageable with any medication or ointment and I was so swollen, weak, sore, and was having terrible migraines and vertigo some days I couldn't even leave bed. I was put on an extremely high dose of Prednisone for 2 weeks and had to stop after seeing no difference. This medication is so risky and I've read so many other horrible reactions, that is it really worth it? I also had no improvement with acne.

Horrible reaction - Not worth your time

I took minocycline - 50ml once daily - for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks after taking doxycycline (but was getting wicked headaches from it, so switched to the mino). My skin started to clear up, but I was apprehensive taking mino because of all the reviews I read... but I decided to try. I wish I didn't! Be warned, because what I went through/still going through was pretty scary stuff. I woke up in the middle of the night with my elbows, knees, back of my legs, hands/wrists, knuckles and the soles of my feet covered in what I thought were mosquito bites (I thought I was attacked while I slept). But then more started to appear as the day went on. And then my feet start to swell, and my wrists started to balloon. I woke up again in the middle of the night to my feet and hands on fire, itching/burning. I went straight to my GP, and he told me that I was having a reaction to the minocycline, Steven Johnsons reaction (google it). He gave me a 7 day cortisone steroid prescription and said if I didn't start seeing a difference after 4 hours from taking the pill to get my butt to the ER. THANK THE LORD it worked. It may have just been me, but be careful, this drug is intense, and in my opinion... NOT WORTH IT. Sure it cleared my skin... but I would take my hormonal acne any day over what I'm going through. Every itch I freaking me out.

Comments

Dont even bother with it

i went on minomycin around 3 times or so and it only cleared my teenage pimples up the first time, the 2nd and 3rd it didn't improve my skin and was an utter waste of time. not sure why multiple doctors gave me this same antibiotic 100mg a day, which was useless time after time. I was so faithful and truly believed that the minomycin would cure my acne but i was wrong. i would give it 0 stars if i could.

Not worth it I promise

I was on Minocycline 100mg 1qd for the first week and 1bid for 3 weeks before I developed an allergic reaction which was serum- like sickness. I had swelling and hives that mainly on my joints for 5 DAYYYSS!!! It started on Saturday, On Sunday my bottom lip started to swelling on Sunday and I knew it wasn't a big deal because if it was going to spread to my throat it would have happened fast but everyone insisted I go to the hospital, which I did and they prescribed me Prednisone 60mg 1qd for 3 days and Hydroxyzine 25mg 1tab po every 6 hr prn for itching well its Wed. still itching like crazy! but no cystic acne as of yet it's been 5 days since I've took then antibiotic I do not plan on starting anything like it again.... if this didn't work my derm. Wanted to do Accutane but after this I rather just have acne.

No visible difference

I took 50mg dosages of minocycline twice a day (morning and night) for 5 months and I never saw any significant improvement. Even after I went off the antibiotic there was no real difference to my skin. However, on the plus side, I never experienced any negative side effects like the ones posted about.

Minocycline 50mg (Help?)

I've been taking Minocycline (50mg, oral) for about 2 1/2 months now Worked great at first, 50% of my acne vanished after the first week, and about 95% of my acne was gone by the end of the second week. For the next month and a half, I think I got a grand total of about three zits (which is a very low number for me), and I was very happy with the results. About a week and two days ago now, my acne has come back with one heck of a vendetta- I have twelve new spots on one cheek/jaw, more than that on the other, a few spots on my forehead around my eyebrows, and even a few spots on my cheekbones/under eye area (which is a place I have never previously gotten acne/had a problem with). My diet hasn't changed, I've been exercising exactly the same as I always do, wash my face with the same products as always, and haven't had any increase in stress levels (you know, except for the stress caused by the return of my acne). I was wondering if the minocycline could have stopped working after just 2 1/2 months, or if anybody has any other ideas as to why my acne may have returned? I do plan on going back to my doctor, but he can't see me for a few days, and my graduation/prom is the day before he can see me, and as that event was a big part of the reason I so desperately wanted to get my skin cleared up, I thought id reach out on and see what others have to say. Additionally, if anybody who has had a similar problem could share how they cleared their skin with me I'd really appreciate it. Additional and Background info: 18yo female. I have combination skin (dry/oily) that is pretty sensitive. Until about a year ago, I have never had more than a blemish or two, my skin was pretty 'normal' (perhaps a little on the dry side, but definitely never oily), and minimal redness (I'm pretty pale so my skin was always a bit 'pink' but now half my face is just...red). Out of what felt like nowhere, my skin turned awful, and I suddenly started getting blemishes. At first I'd have about four or five which at the time felt like my face was covered, and then my skin started to get oily too, and eventually more than half my face was covered in spots. More than that, before when I would get the odd blemish/spot, it would disappear without a trace, and now every spot I get leaves a scar...Does anybody know why that is? Anyways, I tried every face wash, acne cream, mask, cleanser etc. I could get over the counter that had worked for other people, I researched diets that were supposed to be good for your skin/help with acne, and I added supplements/vitamins meant to be good for your skin etc. Nothing made even the slightest difference. Skin to about nine months later, I finally went to see my doctor about it, and he prescribed the minocycline. I just want clear skin, and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

It could be that you've managed to cultivate a bacteria that is resistant to that particular antibiotic. Normally the way it happens is you either stop treatment too early, and the only bacteria that are still alive are the resistant ones, and then they multiply, or you forget doses, or don't take the whole prescription.

its ok..

My doctor prescribed me minocycline 100mg twice a day for about a month and a half. When I first took it, my stomach ached. After the first week, there was no results. In the second week, my skin broke out like CRAZY but in the third week, all my breakouts disappeared. My skin was clear until I finished taking it. As soon as I stopped taking it, my skin broke out on my cheeks and chin and it stayed like this till I found a new treatment. My forehead stays clear for some reason after I took minocycline. I WOULD RECOMMEND NEUTROGENA stubborn acne face wash. It cleared me up very quickly and did not break me out when I stopped using it!

WORKED THEN STOPPED WORKING

IT WORKED GREAT when I first started taking it a year ago 100mg, I then was told by my Doc to take 50mg every other day to eventually get off of it because my skin was finally clear then it came back again milk nothing crazy so I went back to 100mg everyday and now my skin is the worse ever, zits on cheeks, and jawline this started in Feb this year, im on 200mg MONDAY-WED-FRI AND 100 MG ON TUES-THURS-SAT and so far Nothing my face is horrendous, im 32 years old and can't take Accutane so Im going to see a dermatologist in Toronto I heard shes one of the best so I hope whatever gets done WORKS and I stay clear!=(

Please let us know what she says!
i saw the dermatologist today, she told me to stop taking minocycline my family dr should have not told me to keep taking it after 3 months, and I should have gone to see a dermatologist when I first started experiencing acne in my last 20's, anyways, she told me I have a severe case of acne, hard to treat which made me really disappointed to hear, I definitely was not expecting that =( she suggested I use her skin care line which I read is great expensive but great, I will stick to that but she also said I should do PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY FOR ACNE, I read oneline, the super red face, discomfort, pain, swollen, peeling has worried me and pushed me away from even doing this sadly, I work in an office dealing with clients on a daily basis I cant look like I was burned alive it's horrible to even think of that, if there was no downtime I wouldn't be so worried, anyways, I called back and receptionist is going to have Dr (dermatologist) call me back tomorrow for an alternative treatment effective but no downtime if have to do a few more treatmetns than the photodynamic and it will help me I rather do that but I can't bare with pain and the suffering of this treatment, I know everyone is different but from what I have seen everyone turns beat red, sunborn gone bad and pain I just can't im very sad and stressed, I stopped taking minocycline I have since oct and feb was my worst month so I hope it stays the way it is until I find a treatment that wont make me suffer wish me luck=(

Short time fix

When my skin go bad for the first time in my life so I went to a local dermatologist. When she first saw me she prescribed this antibiotic along with Epiduo. It took 3 months for me to see results. And the results were great I had and clear skin and skin looked glowing for the first time! I was so happy and pleased the only thing is that my dermatologist gave me such a high dose 200mg a day and had me on for 6 months which was long for any antibiotic! It killed all my bacteria in my intestine.. so I recommend taking some probiotics with this medication. Fast forward a year my skin got terrible because I was put on birth control to help my hormonal acne. At the time it wasn't so bad and I so wish I never won't on birth control because my acne blew up worse then it did the first time! I had painful cysts all over my forehead and acne all over my face and I was so depressed. I quit the Birth control and went back on Minocycline but I was put on 100mg a day and was only on for 3 months and I took a probiotic with it. I've been off Minocycline for 6 months now and my current state of my skin is ok.. it's still healing and I still have acne but no were bad as it was. I have a lot of hyperpigmentation and redness from the terrible break out of the birth control. This antibiotic is only a short time fix. It won't solve your problem. I used it twice to clear a bad moderate break out but other wise I'm not going back on it. For me I needed just a clear slate and this antibiotic did help with that. Now I'm more focused on how to properly take care of your skin with a good diet skincare, and drink nothing but water! Of course it's hard to have a healthy diet and I do tend to break because of my bad sweet tooth. If you are dealing with a bad break out and don't want to go on Accutane, this is the second best thing without being as harsh.

hiii! I just got off minocycline now too been on for a year worked great the first 6 months then I got it back again even on 200mg and 100 mg still breaking out, I hope it doesn't get worse than what is now until I figure a solution for this, I went to a dermatologist today she suggest I do photodynamic therapy its scary I don't want to so I am waiting for her to call me tomorrow with a second plan because I cant even think of the pain, burning, red skin and peeling I just cant praying thinsg gets better and for you too!!

PLEASE READ: Dangers of Overusing Antibiotics

I was perscribed tetracycline, doxycycline, etc. for 3-6 months each course. While I was on these antibiotics my skin was perfectly smooth. Naturally, I wanted to upkeep this level of improvement so I continued to use these antibiotics. Because of the overuse of antibiotics I have developed a skin condition called "pityrosporum folliculitis." There's is a delicate balance of bacteria and fungi/yeast on our skin. Which, for the most part, is there to benefit the human body. By overusing or inappropriately using antibiotics, this balance can become disrupted and cause an overgrowth of the fungi/yeast. This imbalance resulted in "acne-like" bumps all over my neck, chest, and back. I was genuinely devastated and spent an entire summer seeing a psychologist because I felt so depressed over it. This condition is not curable, it is ONLY treatable. There's not a day that goes by that I wish I had explored other alternative to heal my acne. I have been able to keep it under control for the most part but like bacteria, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So please do not try to "fix" your acne with a temporary solution that can lead to long-term consequences. *For the record I am not against taking antibiotics when necessary but doctors should not be allowed to prescribe them for acne.

I strongly agree with you in that doctors can over prescribed antibiotics. When my skin was bad my dermatologist had me on 200mg daily for 6 months...Crazy. Killed all my good bacteria. I'm sorry about the skin condition you developed.
I couldn't agree wit you more, my doctor didn't want to send me to a dermatologist he kept saying they will tell u what I am saying to you, but that wasn't the case, the dermotlogist I went to today told me they don't keep ppl on minocycline for longer than 3 months my doctor is wonderfull but when it comes to skin when I firest went to go see him he should have sent me to a dermatologist

Hope someone can relate to my story

Okay so here is my story I hope someone can relate: (Also real quick a little background of my acne): I have pretty sensitive skin, can't use any face washes or it breaks me out. My skin is usually a combination of oily and dry, but right now I have 2 topical gels that make me super peely and dry. I use apple cider vinegar twice a day, along with my PONDS moisturizer that works pretty well I think. I also use Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing water to take off my makeup. My story: I am a 16 year old junior in high school and am probably the most acne prone girl on campus. I have dealt with acne since 7th grade and it got worse and worse as time went by. And as freshman year came about, I had every type of acne out there- cystic, papules, pustules, scars, EVERYTHING.. So I went to a dermatologist and they he prescribed me doxycycline. Used that for a year and holy sh*t did that clear up my acne. I didn't have to wear make up I could put my hair in a pony tail without feeling self conscious I MEAN YOU GUYS THIS WAS A BEAUTIFUL TIME IN MY LIFE. So I was allowed to stop taking doxy and guess what happened, junior year I broke out like a mother f**ker and I am currently dealing with the same ugly horrific painful embarrassing acne and I am back to square one. Went to a dermatologist again and he told me to take Minocycline twice a day. He told me that 30-40% of my acne would clear up in 3 weeks. It's been two and I've seen some improvements, but I just started my period where oh my god you guys I break out so bad on my period. I get smaller cystic acne pimples that hurt like a mother and it sucks but I don't want to go on birth control cuz I really don't want to gain weight, I know way too many people who did. Anyways I am going back to the dermatologist for a follow up in one more week, and if it isn't better, he's guna want to put me on accutane which I am not happy about. I'm so tired of this f**king acne I have dealt with it for too long, I know I need to be patient but I am probably the most impatient person I know, and I hate not wanting to even be around my own family because of my insecurity. I kid you not if my acne was gone and I had nice skin, I would be really happy with myself. But it makes me feel like the ugliest girl on the planet. It's hard to look past and can I just say that if anyone i suffering from acne, which is probably the person reading this right now because lol this is a website for acne prone people, I feel for you. and I'm not just saying that, like I really f**kin feel for you IT IS THE WORST CURSE EVER. I'm going to do another update on how my acne looks in about a week because apparently my acne is supposed to clear up 30-40% in 3 weeks says my dermatologist. Much love to all you acne sufferers, & like my user name says, acne is a bitch.

TC

I am on my fourth day of minocycline, and the nauseousness is at an all time high! I have also had migraine headaches for the few days that I've been taking it; accompanied with canker-like sores in my mouth (all new since starting this medicine). I will say that i have already noticed a small change for the better in the redness on my face, and things seem to be drying up and flaking right off. Now, if only i can deal with these horrible side effects I'm having.

Take Vitamin C to avoid side effects, Cecon would be good to take twice a day.
lydiatank

Eh it's ok

Took this when I had moderate acne and it helped just a little bit not much noticeable though.

You have to take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water or it won't work to its fullest potential

Works… then stops

I have to give this 2 stars because in all honesty, when I started taking it, I thought I had found a miracle drug. I was extremely hesitant to take prescription medication for my acne because we have all heard the horror stories. But after doing some research, I thought that this wouldn't be nearly as bad as, let's say, accutane. And I was pretty desperate because nothing else had been working. I obviously went through all the drug store brands, then moved onto some of the fancier stuff you find at Macy's - Jan Marini (WHOA expensive), MD complete and then moved onto other stuff like Proactive (I had to at least say I had tried it!!) and Exposed. At the end of the day, nothing worked for me. Not even a little. I would say if anything, most of the products caused my breakouts to get worse. Worse cysts that lasted longer, were bigger. It was pretty depressing. When those didn't work, t modified my diet which was extremely difficult for me to do. Getting rid of dairy and wheat was like total hell for me and at the end of the day, I didn't feel any better physically and my acne didn't improve. I felt like my moods were worse just from being bitter, and it ended up affecting my home life as well. My husband told me it was like walking on eggshells around me, which is tough to hear. I finally went to a dermatologist at the urging of my daughter who could see how much my skin was affecting me. They prescribed me minocycline and literally, after having tried so many other things, I finally felt relief. I immediately noticed a clearing for the first time in'10 years. I told everyone I could about how great it was. I was like pimping it!! Then within about a month, I started seeing the side effects. Like everyone else has said here, the headaches were unbearable and I am no stranger to headaches. No type of amount of medicine brought relief. My headaches would go in spurts so I did continue to use the minocycline for a while until I realized that it had actually stopped working as well. So now I was left with headaches and acne. So I stopped and the side effects ended almost immediately. I have come to find out that the problem with oral antibiotics is that they do in fact work - the bacteria they kill off are a part of what causes acne but not the entire cause. Once your body becomes used to the antibiotics, they cease to work because your bacteria is immune. Great! And your acne comes back with a vengeance as it did with me. Lucky for me, I got off of them - and I will never go back. And I have found a product that works for my skin better than anything else I have tried. Topical is the way to go!! Someone here mentioned a company called Ninja Skincare, I called and they put me on a treatment which has been my new miracle but with no side effects! and not a million bucks either. And it has been like 6 months of clear skin. And did I mention no more headaches?! So I am the happy ending to these stories. I hope everyone has a happy ending like mine. But I would never recommend this product. Or really any prescribed medication from everything I have read. There is no good that can come out of it and your acne never truly goes away. Stay topical my friends!

Cystic acne

I've been taking this for several moths now,400mg.a day.I don't break out as much but I need help.I've had this problem for two years and I'm 62yrs old.some say use honey,apple cidar vinegar.HELP.I also take care of a husband with 11yrs in with Alzheimer's

Gosh, I feel for you! That's a tough road. As a health coach, I've been putting my clients on lots of probiotics both topically and for digestive system. (Try VSL #3 or something equivalently strong). Paint face with plain kefir to re-instate good bacteria. Go off conventional dairy. Experiment a couple weeks with other common irritants (eggs, wheat, soy, canola etc). Drinking raw milk homemade kefir finally corrected my cystic acne at age 35! Before I even modified my diet.

Caution

Take at your own risk----I started this drug around June 27th for my severe acne (paired with Aczone and neutrogina wash). I didn't really notice any side effects right off; I have a pretty strong stomach and am usually pretty immune to most forms of nausea though, so that wasn't too uncommon for me. Around 2 weeks in I did notice the initial "purging" where my acne did get worse (I started getting some on my forehead, which I didn't used to) but by 3-4 weeks I noticed some clearing up. By late July I was pretty stoked because I was looking way better, but by July 25th I started getting headaches. I will admit, I was being kind of stupid; I was really happy with the my face and rationalized that the drug shouldn't be acting up so late after having taken it and waited until after the 26th to stop (just to be sure it wasn't a fluke). That was a big mistake on my part. I got THE WORST headaches that lasted 2-3 days (though I had taken my last dose on the 26th, apparently minocycline stays in your system awhile) and kept me totally bed-ridden. I couldn't move my eyes without blinding pain and nearly vomited from how much it hurt in general. I now get to go to a doctor later to ensure I didn't develop psuedotumor cerebri (since, apparently headaches behind the eyes is one of the main symptoms of that) AND my acne is now worse---I'm going to look into birth control to see if that helps because I am now wary of antibiotics. I considered giving this drug 1 star just because what a hellish time I had, but if I had never developed the headaches than it was working (you know, until it tried to kill me) so it may work for others, but it certainly did not work for me.

Still unsure

I started breaking out on my forehead around January 2016. It was mild, but my forehead became rough and bumpy. I went to the dermatologist, and he prescribed me minocycline, along with Differin and Soolantra. After the first month or two, I started noticing slight differences. I was also having a few groups of days where I didn't have as many dark red spots. I actually thought it was working for a short time. Now, it's been 3 months, and I still have pretty bad breakouts on my forehead. I'm just not seeing any great results. My forehead still has the bumpy texture, and I still get pustules when I breakout. I haven't had a day where I don't have embarrassing sore-like zits on my face (some of it is because I pick, but I've been trying to rid myself of that habit). My dermatologist told me it takes time for the skin to start improving for many who take minocycline, so I'm going to just wait it out for the next couple of months. If it improves, I'll give minocycline a better rating. If not, then I won't recommend this. But, everyone's skin is different, and I've read other reviews saying that it's the greatest prescription for acne. Just hoping for the best.

How is your skin doing now?!

Popular Oral