Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kate.m

Accutane users - How bad were your dry lips?

26 posts in this topic

I'm a little more than halfway through my second month of 40mg a day, and just this week my lips have started to peel. Before they were dry enough so that I always had to have Aquaphor with me, but I was able to keep them under control by moisturizing constantly. Now they've started to peel (mostly near my inner lip) and they sting. I've been loading up on the Aquaphor even more than before, but they're getting worse, not better. I'm waiting for Dr. Dan's Cortibalm to come in the mail, but I'm worried that if that doesn't work and my lips get a lot worse, I might have to go off accutane. I don't know if I can handle having my lips in shreds for 3.5 more months.

If you experienced dry lips during your accutane course and found anything that helped (or even if they just got better on their own), I'd appreciate a post. Right now I'm kinda discouraged, because I really want to get through the whole treatment.

Thanks!

I've been on tane for 4 months now and my lips have been consistently dry/cracking. I just put on lip balm like every 30 mins and it's not that bad. Dry lips are a load better than acne don't you think?

I'm a huge fan of the aquaphor, but it has terrible "staying power." One thing that's helped me is good quality 100% shea butter. Get the nicer, more expensive kind from a health food store (or bath and body works), otherwise it's gritty. But it has good staying power. Try not to get the shea butter anywhere other than your lips when you apply, as I suspect it's comedogenic. Hope this helps!

My lips have been peeling since the first week. It gets better and worse, depending. I find the more water I drink, and generally the better I eat, the better the lips are. Just make sure you keep the lipgoo applied and it should get better.

About twice now I've come out of a shower and had my entire lip peel away. The first time I was freakin', wondering what my lips would look like; it was ok. Like I said, keep the lipgoo applied to make sure they don't start scabbing and bleeding and you'll be gravy.

Blistex Herbal Remedy (CLICK HERE)

Has been ^ the absolute best lip balm I have EVER used... It lasts very long, has no smell, the taste is a tropical fruit sort of, very relaxing... And its pretty thick so you don't have to worry about it coming off easily with water.. The best part is.. it doesnt leave those white chips on the side of u r mouth like most lip balms do... So you can apply it all day long.. Its absolutely the BEST ive ever used...

ace35xy.gif

youre going off accutane because of dry lips ??? (wtf?) please dont do that :D is it true that your acne comes back worse if you stop a course like halfway through ? someone told me that i dont know if its true but i dont plan on quitting at all...and yes my chapped lips are very bad ever since the first week but nothing that the combination of eucerin+neosporin lip treatment+chapstick cant keep under control...ill take chapped lips over acne anyday...even though its a terrible thing to kiss with chapped lips.........

Im using that Blistex one and im gunna say it again. It feels BETTER than my lips felt before starting accutane and using this. Before this i would never use anything, my lips just used their natural oils.. With this blistex thing, my lips feel AMAAAZING. Its a real pleasure to apply on your lips..

ace35xy.gif

I used Chapstick. I found it had the best staying power, though Lip Medex was good too (in a little blue pot).

My lips peeled so bad the if I grabbed one corner, I could peel my entire lip off!!! Like a snake shedding it's skin. Thouroughly sexy...

Accutane Course #1: January 2004-July 2004

Accutane Course #2: December 1st 2006-April 29th 2007

Thanks for all the responses! I'll try the Blistex. When I woke up this morning, though, I noticed that not only were there pieces of skin hanging off my lips and raw, bloody parts, but there were tiny clear bubbles of skin (sort of like blisters) near the inside of my top lip. What are these? I'm worried that I might have some sort of fungal infection. That would be really nasty!

ok so i have really bad dry lips and i have since my first week now week 12 and what i do is use blistex complete mosture(its amazing) durring the day and put tons of vaseline on durring the night or when i am at my house it keeps it under control

I use Blistex MedPlus,... haven't really noticed the dryness, 'cause I'm always putting on some... lol .. SOFTNESS! :D If it flakes, just wet your lips and carefully rub them so the dead shit falls of, THEN put on some balm...

Can't wash it all away, can't wish it all away

can't cry it all away, can't scratch it all away

can't fight it all away, can't hope it all away

can't scream it all away, it just won't fade away.

- "Understanding" (Evanescence)

there were tiny clear bubbles of skin (sort of like blisters) near the inside of my top lip.

I had that. I don't know what it was, but it went away after stopping accutane. Don't worry about it :)

Accutane Course #1: January 2004-July 2004

Accutane Course #2: December 1st 2006-April 29th 2007

there were tiny clear bubbles of skin (sort of like blisters) near the inside of my top lip.

I had that. I don't know what it was, but it went away after stopping accutane. Don't worry about it :)

yeah i have that too, i dont know what it is but it sucks!

RITUALS - 1.1.06

[morning and evening]

-dermalogica 'luminous' face scrub brush used with cetaphil

-l'oreal sublime bronze sunless tanner with AHAs and SPF 15

-olay age defying lotion with BHAs and SPF 15

-l'oreal 'line de-crease' eye cream

[makeup]

-bobbi brown foundation stick in 2.5 'warm sand' where needed

-bobbi brown bronzing powder in 2 'medium'

[supplements and pharmaceuticals]

-400 IU vit E 2x a day

-evening primrose oil once a day

-vit B complex + vit C once a day

-calcium once a day

-flaxseed oil once a day

-proprietary 'green blend'

-one 20mg accutane pill twice a day

-one yasmin bcp at night

-one celexa in the morning for anxiety relief

[throughout the day]

-palmers swivel stick lip balm

-blistex medicated healing ointment

-aquaphor on lips and body

-palmers cocoa butter lotion

-johnson's baby oil gel with lavender

-visine 'tears' eyedrops

-saline nose spray for dry noses

it takes a lot to look this good..

I used Carmex during my first course and my lips were in terrible shape. There were cracked sore spots at the corners of my mouth. They peeled a lot, very deep peels that often left my lips raw and bleeding, and they cracked. At the time i didn't realize it, but the Carmex was making it much worse - it's got ingredients in it designed to increase peeling to heal cold sores.

This time my lips are in much better shape. Dr. Dan's Cortibalm heals any open fissures within a few days use although it's not enough moisturization to use alone, but if you top it off with Aquaphor or my favorite Clinique Superbalm, you'll be good to go. When you get your Cortibalm, start the new tube off on your arm or something until it softens up a bit before applying.

Currently - all clear!

Maintaining my last Accutane course (10/05-04/06) click here for log

Yasmin on Seasonale schedule

Green Cream lvl 6

Shiseido White Lucent system

(cleanser, and SPF 16 moisturizer (no way, SPF that doesn't sting!?))

Thanks again for all of the posts. Unfortunately, it turns out that this isn't just a normal blistering and peeling episode. I saw my derm today because I got more and more blisters over the weekend, and she says I have a bad case of herpes symplex 1 (cold sores). I have about 20 lesions on my lips at this point, and I can see new ones forming. It's really painful and, of course, extremely nasty looking. Also, since I had to wait over the entire weekend to be seen, it might be too late for Valtrex to do anything, and the virus might have to run its natural course (2-3 weeks for a normal person, ?? for a person with an impaired immune response because of accutane. I also have to stop accutane treatment until it clears up. Overall, probably the worst news I've had in a very long time.

I guess the moral of the story is: if you're on accutane and have blisters on your lips, see a derm right away! If you get treatment soon enough, the outbreak will be much less severe. Wish me luck getting through this - I'm going to need it!

Thanks again for all of the posts. Unfortunately, it turns out that this isn't just a normal blistering and peeling episode. I saw my derm today because I got more and more blisters over the weekend, and she says I have a bad case of herpes symplex 1 (cold sores). I have about 20 lesions on my lips at this point, and I can see new ones forming. It's really painful and, of course, extremely nasty looking. Also, since I had to wait over the entire weekend to be seen, it might be too late for Valtrex to do anything, and the virus might have to run its natural course (2-3 weeks for a normal person, ?? for a person with an impaired immune response because of accutane. I also have to stop accutane treatment until it clears up. Overall, probably the worst news I've had in a very long time.

I guess the moral of the story is: if you're on accutane and have blisters on your lips, see a derm right away! If you get treatment soon enough, the outbreak will be much less severe. Wish me luck getting through this - I'm going to need it!

wow that sucks =( hope it gets better ! yeah I was off accutane for about a week because my blood levels were too high I went back within a week though so it stabilized good luck

I found an Aveeno chapstick in the section with the original chapstick. It has shea butter in it. It stays pretty well, and really moisturizes.

kate-hope you and your lips are doing better. I had a weird lip experience on accutane also. Around the 3rd week in my lips started to get really really red and swollen. I immediately thought I was having an allergic reaction to accutane. I saw my derm right away- she thought I was allergic to aquaphor. Turns out my lips just became insanely sensitive and everything irritated them. She prescribed pramosone ointment- which was the only thing I could use on my lips throughout my course. Even now (8 months after accutane) my lips are still sensitive- but its bearable because my skin is so awesome!

The dry lips were deffinetle the most brutal part of the experience for me. My derm prescribed me something called Prevex HC, which I used every night and it really seemed to help.

Also, drinking lots of water helped as did eating unsaturated fats.

I am certainly glad that my lips got better. I heard horror stories of people being stuck with dry lips for ages. Fortunately mine are almost pre-tane levels again. I think today may have been the first day that I didn't have to put lip balm on once since my treatment, and winter is usually a bad time of year for me anyways.

I also found the dry lips to be annoying. I first used chap stick, which was not great even after applying over and over. When I went to the pharmacy, I found the best lip balm. It was as mentioned before Blistex Complete Moisturiser. It works and my lips look back to the way they were before treatment, only rarely turning dry again. I can not wait till my treatment is over, as my dermatologist just prescribed me with another packet of accutane.

Moved to the Accutane Posts board.

and i totally would have a crush on you if I had any lesbian tendencies

[sig-img:553]

Click here to find out why I'm so frustrated.

... and watch out for those RBDs.

they were pretty dry and chapped. I was constantly peeling, but my bf recommended that I use Jack Black lip balm and it has worked wonders! I used literally every single other lip balm and this one finally worked! Plus, it comes in different flavors like lemon and mint!

I am not a doctor but I have learned in traditional medicine that each part of the face corresponds to an internal organ in the body. The lips corresponds to the intestinal tract. If your lips are getting dry and the skin starts to peal off or gets small cuts it reflects the stress and damage to your intestinal tract. The message can not be clearer than that.

QTICA!!!! It is 12 dollars and very very very very worth it. Its a lifesaver. My derm gave it to me but you can order it online, just look it up.