Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antony

I'd Give It Up For A Miracle, Miracle Drug

66 posts in this topic

I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up

For a miracle, a miracle drug, a miracle drug

God I need your help tonight

Beneath the noise

Below the din

I hear a voice

It's whispering

In science and in medicine

"I was a stranger

You took me in"

- U2, Miracle Drug

THANK YOU FOR JOINING ME ON MY ACCUTANE ADVENTURE!!!

Hello and first off a big thank you to anyone and everyone here on acne.org who shared their experience and insight to help me make this difficult decision with confidence.

I am 21 years old, male, 72kg/158lbs, and have had persistent mild to moderate acne for about 10 years. My acne is generally mild on the face, prone to moderate breakouts every few weeks, and I develop a few scarring cysts on my upper back and only very occasionally on the chest. Previously, I have taken a 6 month course of tetracycline, a 6 month course of minocycline, and a 4 month course of doxycycline, in addition to using various over the counter and prescription topical applications and products varying from AHA- and BHA-based cleansers to Zineryt to, naturally, benzoyl peroxide, to every conceivable commercial brand. I am currently one week into an erythromycin prescription at 1000mg/day that I will continue for my first 4-6 weeks on Accutane, in addition to taking 10g/day B5/Pantothenic Acid on top of my regular supplementation routine as detailed in my Natural Acne Program as linked below.

For those who have read or will go on to read my "Acne Program" as linked below, please do not think that I've sold out or am not practising what I preach. Any and all components of my program are genuinely and powerfully effective for anyone, especially those with mild to moderate acne, and I encourage everyone to consider incorporating as many elements of it as they can into their own lives. After travelling and working beyond my capacity to simultaneously follow my program closely enough, I have resorted only after much deliberation to Accutane for a full insurance policy against my unpredictable moderate breakouts. Assuming all goes well, that is. Thank you for your understanding and ongoing support. At any rate, I will actually continue to follow my program to the best of my ability both during and long after Accutane not only for my skin but for my general health and quality of life. I sincerely encourage others to consider doing the same, as I have benefited immensely and strongly believe that you will too.

I am taking Roaccutane, but put Accutane in the title just for the alliteration. razz.gif

It's the very same, of course: isotretinoin or 13-cis-retinoic acid, brought to you by the mad Swiss scientists at F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd.: "Helping spotty people get laid since 1982!"

My dosage is 40mg/day for the first month. Thereafter-- progress, side-effects and tests pending-- I will continue the course at either 60mg/day for a further 4 months, totalling 5 months, or at 40mg/day for a further 6 months, totalling 7 months.

Fingers crossed, glass of water in hand and a deep breath of giddy anticipation as I pop my first 20mg at breakfast and think about how finally taking Accutane after so much anxious expectation is a little like losing my virginity all over again... only hopefully this time no one gets pregnant... shock.gif

God bless you boy wink.gif

i hope it works out for you

cheers

DAY 1:

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: nothing noticed

DAY 2:

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: could be a placebo for all i can tell-- no effects to speak of. at least this means my liver isn't dead yet.

I have 25 days to go to finish my course

40 mgs for 7months

clear from the 2th month

i think it is gonna work for you

good luck

I have 25 days to go to finish my course

40 mgs for 7months

clear from the 2th month

i think it is gonna work for you

good luck

Antony-

Hey Darlin, How you feeling? I stumbled upon your log, and just wanted to wish you luck during your course on Accutane! You've been a great addition to Acne.org, and I'm happy that you are finally on the road to clear skin!

However, I still haven't gotten Accutane, so I'm a *little* bitter.. LOL (just jokin) I'll be reading your log to see how your journey goes, so Keep it Up!!!!! I hope you can avoid the initial. I don't want to go through that either.. But ya know- Nothing good comes easy. In the end, you'll be really happy, and you'll be even more gorgeous!

Do you get red marks at all? I still have some, but they were *really* bad a few months ago. After Accutane, I think you should look into getting Retin-A Micro. It'll help maintain your results, and it takes care of those little f*cking red marks, lol. (if you get them, that is.)

Well- I hope you are doing well. I don't think you'll have much to report until at least a week or two into treatment. But, regardless- It's still fun to write!

Talk to ya later,

Frankie

~*~ Can you at least bring me my chapstick? But my lips hurt real bad!!!!~*~

Hey Antony

I started taking accutane for similar reasons as you are. I was following a program that was like yours as well and it was clearing my skin well but it got to a point and just seemed to stop improving (btw my face is pretty much cleared, it is the acne on my back and shoulders that completely stopped improving). There must have still been something I was doing wrong. I couldnt figure out what I was missing or what I was eating that I shouldnt have been. Every time I would make the slightest mistake in my diet it would show through a breakout that would take a good amount of time to fade. I have a feeling I would eventually solve the problem and it would slowly go away, but there would always be that time where I make a mistake and it would come back, so I am also taking accutane as full protection against any unexpected breakout. Also being an athlete and a weightlifter/bobybuilder, a strict acne diet doesnt exactly go well with the diets that go with bodybuilding.

Also, I was started with taking 80 mg/day when I only weigh 155 lbs, which I found odd when everyone else on these boards seem to start off with 20 or 40 mgs. Still, though Ive only been on it for 5 days, I havnt gotten the bad initial breakout that everyone talks about, just mild dryness.

So good luck Antony, I hope we both come out of this acne free for good.

DAY 3:

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: still no perceptible or visible changes

DAY 4:

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: the one possible difference at this point is that i think my lips are just the slightest bit tingly, more tingly numb than dry, the way they feel after you've just eaten an apple, you know? but they're still perfectly moist. i don't really think my skin is less oily, but i'm also not getting spots, which isn't necessarily attributable to the Accutane. if it keeps up like this for the next few days i'm going to request my dosage be raised fromy 40 to 60mg/day.

Orangeflower: thank you very much. smile.gif

Gianni: great bro good luck finishing your course and hope my accutane kicks in quick as yours did

FrankieBGirl: yes I DO get red marks and I can't STAND it! What do you do about your red marks? I'll look into Retin-A Micro for after-care, thanks for the tip. idea.gif

MQT_Steel: I can TOTALLY relate to the apparent impossibility of realistically combining a diet that is simultaneously great for getting buff, bulking up and working out AND for clearing up and staying clear. It's like you've got two choices, nice body or nice face, and you can only choose one. It's always pissed me off, because sure I have the willpower to eat nothing but organic apples day in day out (I know because I actually did this once for an entire week, and then for another month I ate NOTHING but vegetables, fruits, fish and nuts and lots and lots of water-- did it clear me up? Absolutely. But I was SCRAWNY AS HELL.) When I worked out really seriously and eat 300g protein a day plus lots of protein shakes and milk, pasta, and everything I could (being a hardgainer) and of course CREATINE, I packed on serious muscle over several months and my body was AMAZING but my face looked like SHIT. So I'm hoping Accutane will help bridge the gap between my body- and skin- diets. Good luck with your course as well!

patience, antony, patience! no need to jump to conclusions and increase dosage yet. for me, lips were definitely the first to go. the rest of the side effects didn't really kick in until the 2nd week, and even then, my face was still oily.

as a matter of fact, my face didn't dry up till the 3rd/4th weeks -- i actually didn't even really notice until one day, i woke up, didn't wash my face, went about my business, and saw that my face didnt have one slick of oil on it! I hadn't washed it/blotted since the night before.

So long, suckah!

Former Accutane patient...NOW DONE!

dose: 40mg/day first month, 60mg/day for 4 months

how would you rate your acne now? mild? moderate? severe??

how did you get the prescription for erithromycin?

have you thought about taking 10gr of b5 to help avoid the initial breakout???

Fingers crossed, glass of water in hand and a deep breath of giddy anticipation as I pop my first 20mg at breakfast and think about how finally taking Accutane after so much anxious expectation is a little like losing my virginity all over again... only hopefully this time no one gets pregnant... 

you said 4 month course of doxy? did it stop working, or did you just decide to go off it for other reasons? My derm refuses to believe clindamycilin stopped working (after six months) but added doxy to it. I've been wondering how long it was going to last

good luck with the RoAccutane!

DAY 5:

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: seems like lips and area around lips somewhat drier than usual, also appear to be somewhat oilier than usual around face but no blemishes forming

mdawg202: doxy worked slightly and briefly for me but not enough to warrant continuing treatment after 4 months

You've probably heard this before, but get some Aquaphor and pile it on your lips whenever possible. It's the only thing that helped me during my course of Accutane. I had scary flakey lips by the second month.

Hi.

Hmm, I'm using Vaseline brand petroleum-jelly-with-aloe vera right now as my lips are only JUST beginning to get somewhat dry-- do you recommend I switch to Aquaphor?

I don't know if they sell it here in Dublin. If I find it I think I'll get it as it does seem to come up again and again as the definitive solution to dry lips while on Accutane.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

sorry for going off topic, but did the other antibiotics work differently of better than doxy? I'm realy loooking forward to getting clear and free of red marks, and back on bp once a day like i was before i ever went to a derm. I don't want to on bp right now because i know all my marks will take many months to heal instead of a couple weeks for the more serious ones when i don't use it

sorry for going off topic, but did the other antibiotics work differently of better than doxy? I'm realy loooking forward to getting clear and free of red marks, and back on bp once a day like i was before i ever went to a derm. I don't want to on bp right now because i know all my marks will take many months to heal instead of a couple weeks for the more serious ones when i don't use it

DAY 6

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: lips noticeably drier; two whiteheads coming

up either side of nose; one small cyst on each

shoulder; get the sense there's more to come in the

next few days; also while I seemed to be getting

oilier at first I now seem to be dry and oily at the

same time if that makes sense-- I have the SENSATION

of dryness but upon checking my reflection I find that

my forehead and especially my nose are VERY oily.

DAY 7

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: lips definitely drier but nothing

uncomfortable (no need for moisturizing); a small

whitehead by nose crusting (promised myself a long

time ago I'd never pop a pimple again so I'm going to

let it do whatever it's got to do); few subtle small

pimples emerging neck, jawline, cheek, nothing bad;

pair of shoulder cysts swollen and red. I think the

"initial breakout" is just beginning, though I can't

predict what the full extent of its severity will be

(supposedly nothing worse than my worst ever

breakout).

Will get tomorrow (1) Aquaphor and (2) L-lysine amino

acid supplement for enhanced collagen and connective

tissue regeneration and development around lips and

mouth-- this should proactively help my lips deal with

whatever damage the Accutane tries to do to them while

of course maintaining the effect of the Tane on the

rest of my skin. Don't know whether this will work

necessarily but it's worth testing my theory. Also, I

am still, as stated in my opening post, following my

own Natural Acne Program WHILE ON Accutane which means

that I am also continuing to supplement with all the

vitamins, herbs, etc., as listed in my program,

including vitamin E, which is known to alleviate

excessive dryness while on Accutane.

Also I should mention that last Friday-- DAY 3-- I

went out and got absolutely paralytically drunk out in

Temple Bar here in Dublin, which was probably stupid,

but so far it seems like my liver is handling it.

DAY 8

Daily 40mg:

20mg @ breakfast

20mg @ dinner

Progress: lips drier but totally fine; cannot find Aquaphor ANYWHERE in Dublin so if and when dry lips become an issue looks like I'm going to have to stick with petroleum jelly; the two cysts on shoulders really bothering me, kind of accidentally popped one, blood and sebum released and hope its healing isn't significantly impaired by Accutane; few small spots around face but drying quickly.

i'd appreciate any tips you have for red marks!

i havent read your whole journal, but just wanted to mention that i dont think taking herbs and accutane at the same time is a wise thing to do.

first: they might skew your tane results. you need to know if the tane is helping, or is it the herbs? you wont know unless you quit the herbs.

second: herbs are kind of iffy. like they might cause drug interactions, and other problems. why take the chance?

when i was on tane i just took my bcp, and a multivitamin that didn't contain vitamin A. that was all. no alcohol, no nothing.

~Amy

i havent read your whole journal, but just wanted to mention that i dont think taking herbs and accutane at the same time is a wise thing to do.

first: they might skew your tane results. you need to know if the tane is helping, or is it the herbs? you wont know unless you quit the herbs.

second: herbs are kind of iffy. like they might cause drug interactions, and other problems. why take the chance?

when i was on tane i just took my bcp, and a multivitamin that didn't contain vitamin A. that was all. no alcohol, no nothing.

~Amy

So long, suckah!

Former Accutane patient...NOW DONE!

dose: 40mg/day first month, 60mg/day for 4 months

SHINEYGAL & KAREN2906: I'm not worried about any herbal-Accutane interaction. If you look at the supplements that I am taking according to my program, you'll see that these include vitamins b,c,e,zinc,selenium,chromium, DermaCleanse herbal capsules (which essentially contain a variety of liver-cleansing and -building herbs), acidophilus, saw palmetto and a multivitamin with no more than 100% the RDA of vitamin A.

I actually brought the bottles of each and every one of my supplements with me to my dermatologist to determine if there might be any detrimental interaction between them and the Accutane, and my derm said that they were all perfectly safe to take: the only supplemental contraindication she stressed was not to take any supplemental vitamin A beyond my multivitamin, so that's the one supplement I've nixed.

As far as "being able to tell if it's really the Accutane doing its thing," I've been taking all my other supplements for a long time now and my body is quite accustomed to them and their effects; the sudden introduction of a foreign agent into my system in the form of Accutane will show its effects regardless of whether I further supplement; when I've been taking this stuff for months and then start taking Accutane and my skin starts drying out it's pretty obvious that's the Accutane, isn't it?

Anyway, my derm says it's OK though unusual (I guess because most people who take Accutane either gave up on a natural-health approach or didn't bother to try in the first place), and so seeing as it won't interfere with the Accutane but will only serve to protect my liver and broader health which are potentially impaired by Accutane while allowing the Accutane to do its job of shrinking the sebaceous glands and regulating keratinization, etc., I'm perfectly happy to do it and think it's a great idea.