Spiro not working like it used to

Started by tennis123 tennis123

4 posts in this topic

Hello-
I had great success with YAZ and Spiro together. I took 100mg Spiro with Yaz. I'm 38 yo, have struggled with acne for what feels like FOREVER!!!! I am so sick of it:( My skin was great off of yaz for about 6 months (still taking 100mg Spiro). It went kind of rogue at that point, with a cyst or 2 per month. I went up to 150mg spiro in October. I really thought it was my miracle worker, and I keep seeing people saying that here, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I take LOTS of supplements- Methyl Guard, dim, super milk thistle, accnutrol, fish oil....probably more....I get a microderm every month or so. I also did one month straight of Solodyn (which helped) and have used it as a spot treatment. I am still getting cysts and I am so frustrated. I'm considering another month or two of Solodyn. Has anyone experienced this?? The Spiro not working as well without the BC combo???

i experienced the same thing with spiro.  It took forever to start working and when it did, it only lasted for a few months then stopped working.  I never did use it with BC.  Some people do need to do both spiro and BC to get it to work  - not sure why.  Any particular reason you stopped Yaz?

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Thanks for the reply. I really didn't want to stop Yaz. I was concerned about the exogenous hormones, and how they were going to effect me long term. My blood pressure also went up. Because of this, I don't think doctors would prescribe them to me again. I would consider getting back on if that weren't the case. I'm going to ask the derm about taking 175 or 200 mg for a few months to see if that helps. Have you heard of people taking this dose? Studies site the dose for acne as 50-200mg, but I don't hear of many people taking that much. My cycle is pretty regular. THe first month I went from 100 to 150 it was thrown off a bit. I also think the Spiro makes me tired.

The maximum dose for acne that i have heard of is 200.    My periods got wonky too whenever i adjusted my dosage.  Birth Control is garbage so it's probably best to not go back on it.  

Good luck on your journey.  I'm in a similar boat where spiro is not working anymore.  I'm currently working with a naturopath trying to find gentler alternatives (it hasn't produced results yet but we'll see)

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.