What type of scars do i have?

Started by incepticon incepticon

82 posts in this topic

Hello dear people

Before looking at the pictures, a little info about me. I'm almost 30 years old, male of mediterranean origin. I've suffered through cystic acne from 19-28 (worst was when i was 20-21), I've just been through an 8 months long accutane medication. Which has removed all the extreme oiliness and thereby  active acne on my face. 
Here are the pictures, i tried to take them in angled lightning:

Both of the pics are of my right cheek, since i barely have anything on my left cheek. Bear in mind, this is the worst angled lightning i could find. I think they are rolling+boxcar type. Therefore, i'm considering subcision + microneedling by proffessional. I live very close to Emil Henningsen, but there is 1 month left of accutane so i think, perhaps i should wait a little. And my own dermatologist prescriped me 0,05 retin-a which seems very harsh on my skin. 

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts are highly appreciated :)

scarrr1.jpg

svar2.jpg

You are right, rolling, some box cars, and some ice picks.

Great you have Dr Emil nearby.

Recent data suggests you can treat after Accutane with subcision / filler, if you let him know about the Accutane. Most other treatments you can wait on (you can wait a few months between subcision and you should be fine), he might do tca cross. It's up to his discretion of your skin.

I would suggest:

Subcision . This would be done on the larger pits (deeper ones). Subcision does well on pits that are aprox a pencil eraser depth (top) or pencil rubber it's called in the uk. Filler would help you, Wait till after the swelling goes down from subcision before filling. 

Boxcars which would do well with the Intracel, Intensif, Infini, Secret, Vivance, etc... You will need several treatments of this. This could be done at any local med spa after your subcision.

I see icepicks which need tca cross, several treatments to raise them. Emil does this.

Erbium resurfacing does work but I prefer TCA peels which have much less side effects and work better if once does many of them or a deeper sedated peel with a DR, they are great for the textural aspects of acne scars. This should be the very last thing you do with treatments not the first. Medium strength peels can be done (several at home or a med spa as well) , It's only for surface texture.

Many treat over 3 years as they have time.

You can learn more about these procedures at the top of this sub - scar treatments - then the faq > subcision, tca peels, etc.

Petsme and incepticon reacted to this

** Please "Like" my response above; Capturedwdn.JPG  As a volunteer encouragement helps! |::wiggle:
[Thank You For Your Kind Understanding - I reply to individual Private Messages addressing your concerns as soon as I can, helping many people a day, please be patient.]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:smileys_n_people_116: CLICKABLE LINK: OFFICIAL ACNE SCAR SOLUTIONS; Q&A / FAQ :smileys_n_people_108:
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. SUCCESSFUL TREATMENT THREADS                                                                 7. HYPERTROPHIC / KELOID (RAISED SCARS)
2. WHAT IS ACNE & PREVENTING SCARS                                                              8. SUBCISION
3. DIFFERENT TYPES OF SCARRING                                                                      
9. FILLER FOR SCARS
4. TREATING SCARS AT HOME                                                                              10. LASER
5. SKIN: RED (PIE) BROWN (PIH), WHITE MARKS,                                               11. MICRONEEDLING
     TEXTURE, LARGE PORES,  DRYNESS, & COVERING UP SCARS                    12. TCA CROSS FOR ICEPICK SCARS & ACID PEELS                       
6. PUNCH GRAFTING & EXCISION                                                                        13.
LIST OF ACNE SCAR TREATMENT DOCTORS

Atrophic rolling, box car, and pick, ice pick scars... as BA has eluded, targeted approach will be best. Your rate limiting factor will be the broad box car scars, however if you are having ice pick scars treated with TCA CROSS, then combining this with low downtime low density CO2 laser- hybrid lasers, can elevate the box car scars. Healing from short PD (pulse duration), low density CO2 is only 3-4 days max, hence why one should have this done the same time as TCA CROSS - this is not for everyone, just pertaining to your scar types with the photos provided. I wish you well. 

incepticon and beautifulambition reacted to this

Obi wan and ba thanks for your input, they are truly appreciated. I live in Denmark and I don't really trust doctors that I have scarce knowledge about. Therefore I would rather visit someone in Europe proven to be succesful (especially those proven in this forum). 

How would you rate the severity of my scars? From 1 to 10? As you can see on the pictures they are only located on my cheeks and mostly on my right cheek, funnily enough. 

And would you suggest professional micro needling / derma stamp or do you think that's waste of money?

Luckily, I have time+money and patience :)
The pictues are taken at absolute worse lighting on normal day light the visibility of the scars are much shallower and more even. 

Edited by incepticon

@inception Your scars are not the worst I have help treat if that's what your asking.

I gave you a plan above, I do not see stamping alone helping you with your scar type,  but rf needling yes....
incepticon reacted to this

** Please "Like" my response above; Capturedwdn.JPG  As a volunteer encouragement helps! |::wiggle:
[Thank You For Your Kind Understanding - I reply to individual Private Messages addressing your concerns as soon as I can, helping many people a day, please be patient.]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:smileys_n_people_116: CLICKABLE LINK: OFFICIAL ACNE SCAR SOLUTIONS; Q&A / FAQ :smileys_n_people_108:
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. SUCCESSFUL TREATMENT THREADS                                                                 7. HYPERTROPHIC / KELOID (RAISED SCARS)
2. WHAT IS ACNE & PREVENTING SCARS                                                              8. SUBCISION
9. FILLER FOR SCARS
4. TREATING SCARS AT HOME                                                                              10. LASER
5. SKIN: RED (PIE) BROWN (PIH), WHITE MARKS,                                               11. MICRONEEDLING
     TEXTURE, LARGE PORES,  DRYNESS, & COVERING UP SCARS                    12. TCA CROSS FOR ICEPICK SCARS & ACID PEELS                       
6. PUNCH GRAFTING & EXCISION                                                                        13.

I had my subcision done yesterday and it left a lot of red/purple marks on my cheeks, especially my right cheek. I don't want to post a picture because i am extremely concerned that they will leave permanant marks on my skin and im already extremely conscious atm. And it looks truly horrifying. Both of my cheeks are still extremely swollen. He subsized both of my cheeks but there are just 4 entries for the needle in total. 

When he was subcising he said there was a lot of resistance in my skin since my rolling scars are almost a decade old, so he used a lot of force - which he said himself.
Im thinking it might have to do with that, and perhaps the fact that i just finished my accutane medication - less than a month ago.

Any assistance help will be greatly appreciated, since right now i'm feeling extremely low. How can i decrease the discoloring. 

11 minutes ago, incepticon said:

i am extremely concerned that they will leave permanant marks on my skin

cant help you with aftercare advise, but you do not need to worry, they will not be permanent.

sorry for my bad english

Bruising is what makes subcision work. It acts as a spacer under the skin. Your bruised currently. You have two choices ... take vitamin K and make the bruising go away and potentially loose the effects of the subcision or let it go away naturally. If you got filler you may be ok to do this.

Many just wear some concealer or dermablend in department stores for surgeries. Bruising goes away in about a week or 2. 

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
9. FILLER FOR SCARS

You need to suction if you dont have filler or you might lose the benefit is will have fir the outcome of your treatment.but,be aware suction will keep the bruiding going for longer,yes it slowly diminishs but as BA pointed out this is what should make for better results.

i just used a pump from a cheap ebay chinese cupping set but my subcision targetted the individual scars and not my entire cheek.
:)

29 minutes ago, Quadboy said:

i just used a pump from a cheap ebay chinese cupping set but my subcision targetted the individual scars and not my entire cheek.

My subcision  targeted my entire cheek. And for one cheek he just used 2 insertion points. That is what concerns me the most, he was very agressive with the nokor needle which led to a lot of purple and red color which is very visible. 
My cheeks are swollen as a whole, but there are also individual swellings. What truly frightens me is that the subcision leaves new scars after the swellings subside. Because there are so many spots that i can see are subsized from a distance (since he just used two entries) and the head of the nokor seems to have harmed the sorrounding areas.
I will return to work on monday and i'm left with this face. If i posted a picture of my face you would understand i don't exaggerate but im really not in the mood.

Your face will be swollen now for up to a week maybe more,if you had no filler and your not going back for filler you need to suction or your skin might go back to how it was.you paid for subcision and thats what you got,subcision of your scarred areas of face,this alone wont make your scars disappear,your not paying to get rid of scars,its down to you niw if theres no filler or filler within a week as your skin will start to heal within 3 days and after around 10 it will be pretty much solid again.this is the idea of filler or suction,your controlling the healing process and trying to loosen up the skin to stop these scarred areas refirming exactly how they was before treatment,this prolongs bruising and even causes some bleeding in the insertion holes where needle went.

better he did it in 4 inserts rather than 10?

idea is to insert the needle and swipe and move it back and forth theough entire area that feasably can be reached.looking at your pics its hard to see individual scars but more an entire area.if you had only few scars then maybe each could be targetted but because your entire cheek area is rolling it was best to subcise the entire cheek.

your gonna get bruising,blood collagation,discoloration and even some peoples skin turns a green color!

it will go as you heal but can take up to a month,even more to completely go.

but once again,you had subcision and no filler,no going back for filler?

if no filler you should suction for better results.
:)

I haven't made an appointment for fillers yet, but i might in the future. Right now my cheeks are swollen like a chipmunk anyway, and i definately do not think it will subside soon enough. As long as i don't get a worse face than i had prior to the procedure i will be glad. :)

The extensiveness of the procedure and the red marks it has left really bothers me to no end. 

19 minutes ago, incepticon said:

The extensiveness of the procedure and the red marks it has left really bothers me to no end. 

Subcision is a "surgical procedure". As with all surgeries, it will take time to heal. But, seriously, did you think this would be a lunchtime botox quickie? :smileys_n_people_20:
eva_li reacted to this

There is no life without water. Use it to your advantage.

4 minutes ago, Sirius Lee said:

But, seriously, did you think this would be a lunchtime botox quickie? :smileys_n_people_20:

Tbh, as fun as it may sound i kinda thought so. 

Ok guys just one question regarding subcision. 
I  sent the office an email asking them why extensive amount of bruising on my cheeks as a result of the surgery. They told me it's normal since the surgery was done in the hyperdemis thus leading to bleeding. I thought subcision was supposed to not touch the hyperdermis since that's where the fat is located. Isn't the primary function of subcision to cut through the fibrotic strands in the dermis?

They are mistaken, and probably a receptionist or assistant. Subcision normally occurs in the upper dermis. Different countries use different terms. Bruising is normal. 

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
9. FILLER FOR SCARS

Dude, I am sorry but once again I fail to see what the problem is...?
I understand that you might feel upset about feeling pushed into something while you have chosen a different treatment but seriously, upon seeing your scarring again - dermapen woudln't do anything with these types of rolling scars while subcision CAN bring such beautiful results for this type - why spend money on something else than?

This forum is full of threads about subcision that document the journey after the procedure and everyone keeps telling you the same thing  - bruises (changing colour from red to purple to yellow/green) are a side effect of subcision you cannot avoid - and what's more - you actually want them cause they help your scars stay uncut. You want the bruises. I kept suctioning since day 3 and for two weeks I kept the bruises intentionally alive to prevent re-tethering. :) 

I realize that I am not in such a stressful place as you - I don't have to stand in front of a classroom of kids, I work in an office with a few friendly colleagues. I did not wear any makeup tho cause I hate that s* , and just wore the bruises. I knew they were helping me so did not mind them :D

You look completely normal for DAY 4.
Listen, I actually really understand that you're upset that the DR did not tell you in all honesty that you will NOT look normal for about a week or more.  That was not fair. But first and foremost, I think you need to start  to trust this treatment - even though it was not something you chose - it is gonna be alright!!! For real!

Oh and PS: it wont leave you with any additional scars either. I had 5 incision points, did not find them after 10 days.

17 minutes ago, EagleEva said:

That was not fair. But first and foremost, I think you need to start  to trust this treatment - even though it was not something you chose - it is gonna be alright!!! For real!

Thanks for the assurance but due to the extensive nature of my rolling scars he had to be very agressive with the treatment and used a ton of force. I honestly hope you are 100% right, but I can't afford being too optimistic about the procedure. If i stay optimistic i might be very disappointed by the result in the coming weeks. So I'd rather stay sceptical and prepare myself mentally to any outcome - including further scarring. 

By the way. I just checked your photos in your forehead. I can't see why you would risk and spend money on any procedure for your forehead. You barely have any "scars" there, just a couple of dots. 

I would spend the money gladly, the risks are harder. recently I actually try not to think about them too much.
Did you see the last pics of my forehead I posted this week? 
I find it hard to believe you deny I have real scars there. There's obviously few dozens boxcars with sharp edges.

Yup folks, 8 days have passed and my initial thoughts are confirmed. There are at least 3 new scar formations after agressive subcision. If you take a look at the last pic I've posted the purple swollen spot closest to my mouth and nose, previously there were no deep scarring there. Now with angled lighting there are three lines that have become indented after the swelling has subsided some. 

Regardless of how much the other tethered scars heal, subcision in my case is a certain disaster that's left my right cheek in much worse condition. Its been exactly 8 days and the purple scars are still very much present, I can't go out without makeup. Right now I'm on sick leave thanks to this life ruining experience. 

Let this be a warning to those who consider agressive subcision - be VERY consistent with your research and tell your doc to be VERY conservative with the nokor needle!

It might just heal on its own, it's very early for a scar to develop.
Also, are you sure it is not just redness? At a certain stage of healing, the redness can mimicks almost exactly the shadow left by an indent, without actually being an indentation.

May I suggest you don't do any other treatments, I don't see them helping you as they all have the ups and downs of dealing with them and many are very happy to have some percentage each treatment brings of improvement.

Laser, Infini, Subcision, Filler, Peels, all have down time and you can bruise, flake, scab, need to heal. The body does not heal quickly. Subcision will continue to work 6 months after making collagen. For many it takes months to see something. I get your bruised, and this is Normal! You must be a slow healer if it's been 8 days, ... some it can take a month to heal, that is just their bodies. Take Some Vitamin K for the bruises, wear some dermablend and go outside, Vitamin D / oxygen is good for you.

I bet anything you see after subcision will be better than the scars I saw above in your pics. You realize you won't be perfect, one treatment does nothing. These treatments only give you a percentage of improvement. I think mentally it's too tough for some people to treat and that's ok too maybe they would be better just making peace with their scars as it's hard work mentally physically and emotionally. 8 days is still healing and your making assumptions, but maybe your right and you just don't heal right. Now we know. 

ScarRight and eva_li reacted to this

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
9. FILLER FOR SCARS

Subcision is not a weekend procedure you do on a Friday and come back looking untouched on Monday.   Depending on how extensive it is, you're going to look like hell for a few weeks.  The bruises will absolutely go away.  It is way too early to judge.  I think managing expectations is a huge part of the journey.

I think you might have to reevaluate your tolerance for downtime and the psychological burden of getting treatment.  It's no joke, and some people really can't handle it.  And that's perfectly fine.  

I don't think you'll see any long-term damage.  It just looks really bad right now, but take a breath and give it some time.  

Edited by dazzed

It's easy to say I'm exaggerating and that I'm the one who is wrong. But you guys are not in my skin, hence do not judge too swiftly. If my right cheek was 40% presentable today (almost 9 days after the procedure) I'd still go to work today and tell my collagues what has happened. But that's not the case, my right cheek is still full of purple/red bruises.

I'd wish you guys were right, but Im not sure you are.