Had a lot of success so far, searching for anything else

Started by auleej auleej

1 post in this topic

Hi,

The way I understand it, acne is often a multi factorial symptom of some underlying issues that vary among different people, which is what makes it so hard to treat. I've managed to make a lot of headway in treating my own acne, and the more I read the more I recognize commonalities among the things that work for me, however I just don't have the knowledge to necessary to diagnose exactly why these things work for me. I feel like if I could better understand why, I could further improve treatment on myself.

I was wondering if I could poke y'alls brain for some advice.

I'm very acne prone. My face used to be a mess; 1-2 pustules a day, cysts every month. Comodones and red spots everywhere. Very oily skin and huge pores. I've since almost cleared my skin. Here's what worked for me:

• Ketogenic diet (<25g net carbs a day, high fat and high protein) - this has had, by far, the biggest impact
  • Hygiene (fresh pillow case every night, finding the right cleanser and moisturizer for my sensitive skin)
  • Supplements (omega 3, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin D3, a multivitamin) - I'm not sure the efficacy of them individually, however I notice a significant difference when I don't take them all

As someone very prone to acne, practicing all of these habits keeps my face >80% clear. I'd say it's 65% diet, 25% hygiene, and 10% supplementation.

Long before this, I once had a lot of success treating my acne by megadosing (4-7g a day) on vitamin B5/pantothenic acid. My pores were noticeably smaller and my skin less oily. I still got breakouts occasionally, but at the time megadosing was my only method of skincare. My skin might've looked close to perfect had I been doing everything else I do today. I stopped megadosing after 7 months because I suspect it brought about other issues, like hair thinning and dermatitis on my scalp and face. Apparently this was caused by a deficiency in other B vitamins? Whatever the case, the side effects were enough that I don't plan on returning.

The efficacy of pantothenic acid and a ketogenic diet suggest, to me, something involving fatty acid metabolization? Like, they work because they either improve the composition of my sebum or allow me to better break it down? Does that even make sense? I don't know what I'm talking about.

I was wondering if any of you had insight to offer, like additional skincare methods based on what I've shared.
  Edited by auleej
Мyth reacted to this