Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Retin-A (Tretinoin) From experience

Started by Lemonberry Lemonberry

46 posts in this topic

I'm just going to be straight forward and simple with this so I can help other users.

(Keep in mind... this is my first post :])

PRE TREATMENT SUMMARY

I've had acne for as long as I can remember. It's always been very bad, but only in the past 5 years did it become what my derm would describe as severe. 8/16/2010 I went to a dermatologist and we talked about Accutane. I ultimately decided that it was too much for me to be put on such a treatment. He suggested I use Retin A cream and Zithromax instead of Accutane. He also suggested a benzoyl peroxide wash before I use Retin A (....which I hear is interesting since normally it's supposed to neutralize the Tretinoin?)

DAILY ROUTINE

AM- Wash with Clean & Clear Continuous Control 10% benzoyl peroxide daily wash

Moisturize with Ponds Dry Skin Cream

250mg Zithromax every other day

PM- Wash with Clean & Clear Continuous Control 10% benzoyl peroxide daily wash

Pea sized amount of 0.1% Tretinoin Cream mixed with Ponds Dry Skin Cream

THE INITIAL BREAKOUT.

For me, this lasted almost 2 months. It was very severe and emotionally scaring for me. But, in my experience, this is all worth it in the end! What you really need to do is keep your head held high and make sure you don't give up on it.

WARNING

You need to wear sunscreen while using this medication!

Your skin in going to be EXTREMELY sensitive! I don't recommended scrubbing your skin

Do NOT put more on than your derm tells you to. It WILL result in a very painful reaction for hours. FROM EXPERIENCE

This medication is very drying! Don't be stingy with your use of moisturizer! Especially at night! Trust me on this one or you're in for a rude awakening!

Don't put this around your eyes. Really REALLY never do this.

3 MONTHS LATER.

Things are much better for me! Here are some pictures I've taken :]

Day of start and 3 months later comparison

k0szty.jpg

3 month long comparison

11sk13k.jpg

This may not work for everyone, but I believe you should really try this.. this is my miracle.

Good luck everyone! We all deserve clear skin.

-----------

世界ã¯ç§ã®ã‚‚ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

-----------

Hi Lemonberry :clap: congratulations on your skin, it looks very smooth and clear. :cool:

I'm using tretinoin cream 0.02% and I'm suffering a very bad initial breakout (starting week 3/4), currently heading week 8. Thank you for sharing your pictures, it gives me hope. I hope I'll achieve the same nice skin as yours now.

My skin has never been this bad before, it's all bumpy and full of red marks and gets worse as the days go by. I breaks my heart everytime I look in the mirror. And I started to regret using tretinoin. But now I have seen your progress I'm more motived to keep using it. At least till I hit the 3months mark. If I don't see any improvement by then, I will seriously consider Accutane. :wacko:

How was your breakout like? I get a lot of big deep pimples, pustules and clogged pores, and also some scarred pores since using tretinoin. Did you also experience these? Did you peel a lot? I noticed peeling just yesterday, kinda late? .(O_O).

Lol XD I read your post before I read your comment on mine, thanks for replying though. (^-^)

Hi Lemonberry :clap: congratulations on your skin, it looks very smooth and clear. :cool:

I'm using tretinoin cream 0.02% and I'm suffering a very bad initial breakout (starting week 3/4), currently heading week 8. Thank you for sharing your pictures, it gives me hope. I hope I'll achieve the same nice skin as yours now.

My skin has never been this bad before, it's all bumpy and full of red marks and gets worse as the days go by. I breaks my heart everytime I look in the mirror. And I started to regret using tretinoin. But now I have seen your progress I'm more motived to keep using it. At least till I hit the 3months mark. If I don't see any improvement by then, I will seriously consider Accutane. :wacko:

How was your breakout like? I get a lot of big deep pimples, pustules and clogged pores, and also some scarred pores since using tretinoin. Did you also experience these? Did you peel a lot? I noticed peeling just yesterday, kinda late? .(O_O).

Yeah, your initial breakout sounds exactly like how mine was! You may not be actually scarring. That's exactly what I thought has happening to me when I saw these deep red marks and dark spotting... So if it's anything like that, you're alright. It really seems like Tretinoin is helping with my old scaring as well.

Yes, I was peeling a LOT. I couldn't use my mineral makeup because you could see the peeling right through it no matter how much moisturizer I used! I would suggest using a heavy moisturizer and making sure you're not using too much medication. You said you're only on week 8. This all sounds very similar to my situation. It sucks now, but keep it up.

Keeping a photo log might help you as well

-----------

世界ã¯ç§ã®ã‚‚ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

-----------

Thanks Lemonberry :D I feel more relieved now. I'll let you know when I finally get clear skin.

.(T^T).

hey, my skin looks a lot like yours does at the beginning of your treatment and im on the beginning of week 4 of my tretinoin .05% treatment but i just wanted to tell you that seeing these pictures give me hope and will keep me going:). thank you soooo much for posting them, i am so depressed right now its ridiculous but one of these days then wwe will all be able to live great lives. thanks again for sharing and God Bless.

hey, my skin looks a lot like yours does at the beginning of your treatment and im on the beginning of week 4 of my tretinoin .05% treatment but i just wanted to tell you that seeing these pictures give me hope and will keep me going:). thank you soooo much for posting them, i am so depressed right now its ridiculous but one of these days then wwe will all be able to live great lives. thanks again for sharing and God Bless.

Hello, not been on here before, thanks for the reviews/stories. After 2 months of reading reviews and debating whether to use Differin Gel 0.1% that I have been prescribed (I've been reluctant due to drying, initial worsening acne) I have finally taken the plunge!!! I think the final straw has been constantly being asked for ID to buy tabacco/alcohol - as i look like spotty teenager - I am 26!

I've had moderate acne from 15 yrs old. I took the pill Yasmin without taking regular 7 day breaks as that is the only thing so far to work on my skin. I did this for 4 years until a Dr said it might effect my fertility. When I came off the pill my skin deteriorated, and I am back on it to no avail (yet!). Hoping Differin might be the answer!

Thanks again all for your thoughts,

Heyy congrats on the clear looking skin! Looks beautiful :):)

I am almost done with month 2 of my Tretinoin .01% and my IB has made these past couple months pretty difficult. But looking at your pics and reading this post made me confident the end is hopefully near.

Thanks for the post!

Hello, not been on here before, thanks for the reviews/stories. After 2 months of reading reviews and debating whether to use Differin Gel 0.1% that I have been prescribed (I've been reluctant due to drying, initial worsening acne) I have finally taken the plunge!!! I think the final straw has been constantly being asked for ID to buy tabacco/alcohol - as i look like spotty teenager - I am 26!

I've had moderate acne from 15 yrs old. I took the pill Yasmin without taking regular 7 day breaks as that is the only thing so far to work on my skin. I did this for 4 years until a Dr said it might effect my fertility. When I came off the pill my skin deteriorated, and I am back on it to no avail (yet!). Hoping Differin might be the answer!

Thanks again all for your thoughts,

I'm glad that you're excited to take control of your skin :]

Though, we are using two different products. I was on Differin back in the day and personally, it wasn't a successful treatment for me. I really wish you the best of luck... but, if you also find that it doesn't work for you, maybe you should try going on Tretinoin :]

-----------

世界ã¯ç§ã®ã‚‚ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

-----------

I have been using Tretinoin Cream 0.05% for almost 10 months now and still no luck, does anybody recommend I switch to 0.01%?

hey lemonberry, when did your initial breakout start clearing up for good? like can u tell me about when you started seeing improvement?

hey lemonberry, when did your initial breakout start clearing up for good? like can u tell me about when you started seeing improvement?

I started showing improvements after 2 months of using Tretinoin :]

It was a very awful time!

-----------

世界ã¯ç§ã®ã‚‚ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

-----------

ya... it is. but im sure i can survive another month of difficulty and then let it do its stuff:) as long as i DO end up getting better and not just having to start over later with something else then its all good

ya... it is. but im sure i can survive another month of difficulty and then let it do its stuff:) as long as i DO end up getting better and not just having to start over later with something else then its all good

Yes, I wouldn't want you to stop so early into your treatment! I'm sure things are going to get better for you :)

-----------

世界ã¯ç§ã®ã‚‚ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

-----------

Yes, I wouldn't want you to stop so early into your treatment! I'm sure things are going to get better for you :)

Well thank you soo much for the support:) im really glad for you and can't wait to be seeing your kind of results on me

Do you have new pictures Lemonberry?

Yes! I do. I'll post them before the weekend ends

-----------

世界ã¯ç§ã®ã‚‚ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

-----------

I think with any tretinoin cream it is extremely important to moisturize about 10 minutes after applying the tretinoin. This allows the tretinoin to absorb into your skin and moisturizing will help combat the drying and irritation that we all know tretinoin can cause. I have used tretinoin in the past and it was almost too much for me to use on a daily basis. My skin is pretty much 100% clear and I have switched to a 1% BHA gel instead of tretinoin and it does not irritate my skin one bit. Basically what I am getting at is be sure to moisturize with this stuff or you will regret it.

I think with any tretinoin cream it is extremely important to moisturize about 10 minutes after applying the tretinoin. This allows the tretinoin to absorb into your skin and moisturizing will help combat the drying and irritation that we all know tretinoin can cause. I have used tretinoin in the past and it was almost too much for me to use on a daily basis. My skin is pretty much 100% clear and I have switched to a 1% BHA gel instead of tretinoin and it does not irritate my skin one bit. Basically what I am getting at is be sure to moisturize with this stuff or you will regret it.

Moisturizing 10 mins after applying? I always moisturize as soon as I step out of the shower or as soon as I finish washing my face. After all, it seems to be universally known that the best time to moisturize is when your skin is still damp and your pores are open. Normally I let the moisturizer sink in and then I apply the tretinoin.

In my experience, if I do the opposite, the moisturizer just doesn't clear the dry skin

-----------

世界ã¯ç§ã®ã‚‚ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

-----------

wow looks like the tretinoin really worked out well for your skin... how much did you pay for a tube of your tretinoin?

Clearasil and st ives apricot

Moisturizing 10 mins after applying? I always moisturize as soon as I step out of the shower or as soon as I finish washing my face. After all, it seems to be universally known that the best time to moisturize is when your skin is still damp and your pores are open. Normally I let the moisturizer sink in and then I apply the tretinoin.

In my experience, if I do the opposite, the moisturizer just doesn't clear the dry skin

In the past name brand moisturizers did very little for my dry skin from the use of topicals such as tretinoin. However, I switched to a gentle cleanser instead of prescription (drying) cleanser and I started using Emu Oil and an Emu Oil based lotion. This has worked wonders for my skin and it is never dry or flaky anymore. I recently ran out of my tretinoin and I am almost 100% clear so I gave Paula's choice BHA 1% gel a try and it is much less irritating than tretinoin. I know they are no the same product and are not intended to do the same thing but I have found that my current regimen works wonders for my skin.