Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ModelBoy

Eating Omega 6's can lead to inflammation? Omega 3s reduce inflammation?

8 posts in this topic

IMHO, i would cut out the supplementation of omega 6 and omega 9. Just stick to supplementing omega 3.

You should understand that there are tons of omega 6 in everyday foods.

Think about how much vegetable oil is in all that crappy processed food out there.

Think about what they are feeding your typical/conventionally raised livestock.

They aren't pasture raised (and therefore able to contain tons of omega 3).

They are fed grains and foods that they aren't meant to be eating so they get fat.

These grains contain omega 6.

So without realizing it, when you eat a piece of non-pastured chicken, you're eating what that chicken ate.

Also most nuts are high in omega 6.

I just don't see a reason to add any more omega 6 to your diet. You're probably getting plenty.

Can't help ya with omega 7. don't know anything about it.

Since AUG 09: Been experimenting with Paleo/Primal diet and absolutely loving it.

Probiotics have been huge as well.

IMHO, i would cut out the supplementation of omega 6 and omega 9. Just stick to supplementing omega 3.

Think about how much vegetable oil is in all that crappy processed food out there.

They are fed grains and foods that they aren't meant to be eating so they get fat.

So without realizing it, when you eat a piece of non-pastured chicken, you're eating what that chicken ate.

I just don't see a reason to add any more omega 6 to your diet. You're probably getting plenty.

i notice in ur regimen that u wash with water only and apply coconut oil at night

1.) do u use water morning and night>? how do u avoid the dry n tight feeling if u dont moisturize in the day?

2.) has coconut oil ever broken u out?

i notice in ur regimen that u wash with water only and apply coconut oil at night

1.) do u use water morning and night>? how do u avoid the dry n tight feeling if u dont moisturize in the day?

Yea, i wash with water twice a day usually. I don't use moisturizer anymore unless it's the coconut oil. and even that these days is only now and then--not everyday. I noticed that stuff like benzoyl peroxide was creating dry, tight feeling skin. And taking excessively hot showers makes your skin feel tight like that too. I've found that with a healthier diet my skin is never too oily or too dry.

I don't think coconut oil has ever broken me out.

Since AUG 09: Been experimenting with Paleo/Primal diet and absolutely loving it.

GLA is an anti-inflammatory omega 6. Most others are inflammatory. But I would not supplement omega 6. Even if you aren't eating processed foods made of grains and vegetable oils, you are still probably getting more than enough omega 6 in your diet from the oils in plants like avocado, nuts and seeds, animal products which, if they are from pastured animals, have the right balance of omega 6/9. And if not, they have too much omega 6. And there is quite a bit of omega 6 and omega 9 in olive oil.

Although, some people have benefited from taking GLA. It depends on what else you eat.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

Yea, i wash with water twice a day usually. I don't use moisturizer anymore unless it's the coconut oil. and even that these days is only now and then--not everyday. I noticed that stuff like benzoyl peroxide was creating dry, tight feeling skin. And taking excessively hot showers makes your skin feel tight like that too. I've found that with a healthier diet my skin is never too oily or too dry.

do u use a washcloth??

or do u let air dry

i find that letting skin air dry can be drying.

do u use a washcloth??

or do u let air dry

i find that letting skin air dry can be drying.

i usually just pat dry with a clean dry towel.

I would focus more on diet and internal problems like liver or intestinal issues or hormones.

I've never had luck with any kind of topicals or washing methods or cleanser tricks.

Dietary changes, detoxing, exercising and supplementation has been what's got me clear.

I eat a very clean diet (Think Whole30 plus, not completely clean but a good 90%) and realized I wasn't getting any omegas at all. So I started taking evening primrose oil in a capsule as well as krill oil. The krill oil was a big step for me because I'm allergic to seafood, but I've had no reactions and it's much better than flax. I've seen almost all of my hormonal cystic acne go away. I still get regular breakouts but instead of 40 cysts there's 3.