Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yasmin and hair loss?

Started by blackness blackness

29 posts in this topic

Hi everyone... I recently started taking Yasmin about 1 and a half weeks ago and my hair has been shedding at an alarming rate, I typically have more shedding than I'm guessing the average female does, but lately it's just been insane... a handful of hair per day atleast. Should I stick it out and see if the shedding normalizes or what?? Thanks!

"Seek the truth, it will set you free."

I'm having the exact same thing! I started Yasmin 3 weeks ago, and around the second week I noticed the shower drain clogging up as soon as I pulled up a bunch of hair from it.

I have pretty thick hair so this probably won't affect me anytime soon, but it's just annoying!!

Morning

- Queen Helene Oatmeal scrub

- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Night

- Alba Sea Organics Cleanser

- Differin .01% Gel

- Ortho Tri-cyclen

I've been with this plan for years, keeps me mostly clear!

my younger sister's hair has been falling out ever since she started yasmin. I cant take it at all, I was allergic to it when I tried yas so I have no clue if its our genetics or the pill itself. Anyways, my sister switched to another pill and her hair is still falling out. The doc said she lost 1/4 or her hair in 2 months. She swears yasmin started it and both our drs said that birth control can do this to you, regardless of what pill it is. I honestly have no clue, I just take it for what I see, and I see her hair falling out and she is very unhappy. And me, I cant seem to get rid of the acne. So were both sad. Anywas, My hair hasnt really fallen out a lot from any pill I tried, as of yet. I asked my mom if her hair ever fell out....she said her hair fell out when she took a medication for her blood pressure. So it may just be how girls in my family are. I hope it all works out for you.

I just stopped Yasmin after 2 months. It's funny - I used to take it a couple years ago and had to stop after 3 months due to depression / anxiety. Now I had to stop because the hair loss was unbearable. I have thick curly hair and I was beginning to wonder why my hair was looking flatter and flatter... This was alongside an unusual amount of shedding while showering/grooming. I didn't put two and two together. Then I saw a picture of myself and notice that I had developed some pretty drastic bald spots. I had to come off the pill.

This is frustrating for me because my derm told me it would take 3 months to see results on my skin. But after 2 months I lost 1/4 of my hair. I emailed him and he basically agreed that yes, it happens on Yasmin, and we should look into another treatment.

UGH!!!!!!!!! I want my hair back, and my skin is still icky!!!!!

I just stopped Yasmin after 2 months. It's funny - I used to take it a couple years ago and had to stop after 3 months due to depression / anxiety. Now I had to stop because the hair loss was unbearable. I have thick curly hair and I was beginning to wonder why my hair was looking flatter and flatter... This was alongside an unusual amount of shedding while showering/grooming. I didn't put two and two together. Then I saw a picture of myself and notice that I had developed some pretty drastic bald spots. I had to come off the pill.

This is frustrating for me because my derm told me it would take 3 months to see results on my skin. But after 2 months I lost 1/4 of my hair. I emailed him and he basically agreed that yes, it happens on Yasmin, and we should look into another treatment.

Shoot, I'm nearing the end of my second month and the hair loss isn't getting any better! I think it's also making my depression worse, hard to tell if you go onto a pill with a condition.

Anyone think I should wait out till the end of the third month or should I quit BCPs all togethor? (Oh, and my acne is only slightly better)

Morning

- Queen Helene Oatmeal scrub

- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Night

- Alba Sea Organics Cleanser

- Differin .01% Gel

- Ortho Tri-cyclen

I've been with this plan for years, keeps me mostly clear!

Shoot, I'm nearing the end of my second month and the hair loss isn't getting any better! I think it's also making my depression worse, hard to tell if you go onto a pill with a condition.

Anyone think I should wait out till the end of the third month or should I quit BCPs all togethor? (Oh, and my acne is only slightly better)

I have been losing tons of hair, experiencing horrible anxiety and depression, and have developed cystic acne ever since i started yasmin about three years ago. The high levels of estrogen, I think, cause an "estrogen dominance," which spins your hormones into an unbalanced stage. I am getting my hormones tested and evaluated, then I will likely stop taking Yasmin. I would stop taking it if your hair is falling out. Its only going to get worse.

Hygiene:

Wash with La Roche Effaclar Purifying Cleanser

Moisturize with La Roche Fluid

Mineral makeup, custom blended

Diet:

Gluten/Soy/Dairy/Corn/Sugar free.

Avoiding processed foods, partially hydrogenated oils, and the like.

Drinking a ton of water.

Eating only hormone-free meats.

Lifestyle:

Working out five days/week.

Sleeping 9 hours/night.

Relaxing and meditating often.

Supplements:

Fish Oil

DIM

Multi-Vitamin

Taurine

L-Carnitine

Calcium/Vitamin D/Mag Supplement

Acne status:

Clearing up, after a horrible breakout

So I stopped Yasmin a week ago and since then I've been taking Omega 3 fish oil pills and a daily multivitamin.

The hair loss hasn't stopped yet, BUT.... my skin seems to be clearing up??

Don't take my word for it as a be-all-end-all cure or anything but it definitely looks significantly better than it did.

I started biotin supplements today for the hair loss, but it's still falling out post-yasmin. It's called "telogen effluvium." :(.

Hi girls, just to let you know I am anti-BCPs! Especially Yasmin. I stopped it 9months ago and am still experiencing hair loss, probably TE (as it has a white bulb on the end). The fall has reduced significantly over the last 9months.

Month 1 was about 300+hairs a day, now approx 80-90 hairs a day. I am still hopeful I will fully recover, and I can see new re-growth, its just a matter of time I guess.

However, even after so long, i do still get depressed that this is happening and want it to stop at once...I've lost almost 3/5 of my hair and I almost cry when I see each hair fall to the ground...

For those with curly hair, once you stopped the pill did your curly hair come back? I've noticed that my curly hair has been getting flatter and flatter. I'm starting to think it's due to the Yasmin. Anyone have a similar experience?

Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing thinning hair on Yasmin. I did some research and found this article which, whilst it doesn't tell you how to prevent this, it at least explains why it happens:

http://www.articleindex.net/pdf/article-13167.pdf

I hope this helps.

Little Sarah ;)

My Regimen:

Morning

Jan Marini 2.5% BP Wash

Clarins Toner

Panoxyl 10% AQ gel

Jojoba Oil

Night

Jojoba Oil as make up remover

Jan Marini 2.5% BP Wash

Clarins Toner

Panoxyl 10% AQ gel

Jojoba Oil

Hi girls, just to let you know I am anti-BCPs! Especially Yasmin. I stopped it 9months ago and am still experiencing hair loss, probably TE (as it has a white bulb on the end). The fall has reduced significantly over the last 9months.

Month 1 was about 300+hairs a day, now approx 80-90 hairs a day. I am still hopeful I will fully recover, and I can see new re-growth, its just a matter of time I guess.

However, even after so long, i do still get depressed that this is happening and want it to stop at once...I've lost almost 3/5 of my hair and I almost cry when I see each hair fall to the ground...

anti-yasmin-

Your last post was a year ago, but I find myself in the same predicament and I wanted to see how you were doing after a year.

Right now I've been off Yaz for 9 months and shedding tons of hair for 7 months. In the beginning I was also losing over 300 hairs just afer showering and styling. The shedding has slowly decreased but after 9 months of being off the pill I'm still losing abnormal amounts - anywhere between 40-90 hairs per day. I have lost about 40% of my hair and it's been very depressing.

Everytime I see a hair fall out or see them all over my apartment it makes my heart just sink. I want this nightmare to be over.

I hope you have completely recovered and are doing well.

Pilar

Hi girls,

I started experiencing hair loss in January of this year. It's been nearly 7 months and I'm still experience hair loss. Only having read these articles very recently have I realised what the hair loss might be due to!!

I have had several tests - hormones, iron/zinc etc. The dermotologist confirmed I had low zinc/iron levels and this should be the cause of my hair loss. He gave me supplements and bettamouse for my scalp. However, I am not convinced.

The hair loss started afew months after having started the pill. I started a new relationship in September and started the pill then. The hair loss wasn't immediate but I noticed alot of thinning at the front early january. My hair has always been very very thick so it took some time to notice the hair I was shedding.

7 months on and I am starting to see bald patches and alot of thinning at the front.

I DONT KNOW WHETHER TO COME OFF YASMIN. ANY ADVICE???? Will it get better if I come off yasmin?

It's soul destroying seeing the hair come out & its making my life a misery.

Please keep posted. Would be good to share with you.

Yasmin is a combination of drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol. Loss of scalp hair is a reported side effect of this medication. The hair loss from most birth control pills is benign and self limited. Losing hair in this situation is thought to be through inducing hair follicles to go into the telogen phase. You can stop taking Yasmin and speak to your doctor regarding alternative medications or methods.

Once I stopped using Yasmin, my hair continued to shed at about the same rate it was already, but this settled down in 2-3 months. My doctor suggested the "Matthew Gardsons method". it's been six weeks and my hair is looking great . I definatly will never go back on Yasmin.

Yasmin is a combination of drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol. Loss of scalp hair is a reported side effect of this medication. The hair loss from most birth control pills is benign and self limited. Losing hair in this situation is thought to be through inducing hair follicles to go into the telogen phase. You can stop taking Yasmin and speak to your doctor regarding alternative medications or methods.

Once I stopped using Yasmin, my hair continued to shed at about the same rate it was already, but this settled down in 2-3 months. My doctor suggested the "Matthew Gardsons method". it's been six weeks and my hair is looking great . I definatly will never go back on Yasmin.

How long were you on Yasmin and how many hairs a day do you shed? What exactly is this method you talk about? I was on Yasmin for 7 years when I was switched to Ocella (generic Yasmin) 8/2008 and my hair shedding started 2 months later. Has not stopped !!!! Was told I had androgenic alopecia with no family history. I just really want to know if it is the pill causing this?!!

I'm a guy so I don't know much about this stuff, but I do remember seeing Yasmin on a commercial explaining the side effects it may cause. I did a little research and found this: Like all prescription oral contraceptives (ie birth control pills) Yasmin is associated with increased risks of several serious conditions, such as: myocardial infarction, thromboembolism, stroke, hepatic neoplasia, gallbladder disease, hypertension, tender breasts, mood swings, depression, weight gain, edema, and others. I don't know what half that stuff is, but I guess if it can cause all that, then it could probably cause hair loss.

Do you mind to tell me little bit more about Matthew Gardsons method? Thanks?

How long after taking the bcp did you guys start shedding more?

I started noticing more shedding, especially while shampooing, after about 1.5 months of starting the bcp (I take Loestrin 24fe), which is about 1 or 2 weeks ago. I also started taking 1-2g fish oil last week, and cut down my ampicillin intake by half 2 weeks ago. Would you consider the bcp the cause of my hair shedding?

Thanks!

is it possible that i'm experiencing hair loss?

right now i'm on YAZ. i started using it in august. by the end of oct./beginning of november, i noticed that my hair was feeling much much smoother and felt a little thinner. and my hair has always been realllly thick. a couple weeks ago i went to my hairdresser for a haircut and i asked her if she noticed an extreme excess amount of hair falling out while washing and brushing it. she told me a normal amount fell out. she also mentioned that people shed much more hair during the autumn months. i did tell her that i was on YAZ and said that hair loss could be a side effect. but she just said that maybe my hormones are still being adjusted and stuff. so basically she was saying not to worry about it.

but im still worrying about it because the other day i actually counted how many hairs fell out. before i washed it, i brushed my hair and 60 strands fell out. then after washing, i brushed my wet hair and like 85 fell out. then i brushed it again when it was dry and about 45 fell out. so it was almost 200 strands altogether. isn't that an abnormal amount of hair?!!? cause i read that the normal shedding amount is like 75-100 hairs a day.

do you all think that it's the YAZ that is causing all of this? or could it because i just shed more during the autumn months?

I took Yasmin for about 2 1/2 years, silly me.

the side effects go as follows.....

hair Loss (starting for me at the age of 26!) and Weight Gain, but now my hair fall has reduced a lot… I also believe that the m.gardson's method may help

I took Yasmin for about 2 1/2 years, silly me.

the side effects go as follows.....

hair Loss (starting for me at the age of 26!) and Weight Gain, but now my hair fall has reduced a lot… I also believe that the m.gardson's method may help

what exactly is the m.gardson's method? i googled it any no one seems to be explaining it. like are there tips or something?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board. Thanks for the thread.

I couldn't download the .pdf file but I can say that hair loss is very common when you have a baby and perhaps this hormone mimics the post-partum hormones. They say that you lose hair because you haven't been losing it throughout pregnancy but in my experience I lost it the same throughout pregnancy and still lost about 30% of my hair after giving birth. Some came back but I lost all that after baby #2 as well.

I would NOT want to deal with this side effect so thanks for posting here.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board. Thanks for the thread.

I couldn't download the .pdf file but I can say that hair loss is very common when you have a baby and perhaps this hormone mimics the post-partum hormones. They say that you lose hair because you haven't been losing it throughout pregnancy but in my experience I lost it the same throughout pregnancy and still lost about 30% of my hair after giving birth. Some came back but I lost all that after baby #2 as well.

I would NOT want to deal with this side effect so thanks for posting here.

Same thing happened to me too!!!....Even i cant download that pdf...I would be greatly thankful to anyone who shares that Matthew Gardson Method in this forum.

Anyone please share it in this forum so that everyone who needs that document will be greatly benefited.

So I stopped Yasmin a week ago and since then I've been taking Omega 3 fish oil pills and a daily multivitamin.

The hair loss hasn't stopped yet, BUT.... my skin seems to be clearing up??

Don't take my word for it as a be-all-end-all cure or anything but it definitely looks significantly better than it did.

I started biotin supplements today for the hair loss, but it's still falling out post-yasmin. It's called "telogen effluvium." :(.

So, I was interested in what you had to say about taking Omega 3 fish oil pills. I've considered taking them in the past but heard that they caused you to smell fishy? Is this true? Also, why did you choose to start the Omega fish oil pill regimen and what are the benefits?

anti-yasmin-

Your last post was a year ago, but I find myself in the same predicament and I wanted to see how you were doing after a year.

Right now I've been off Yaz for 9 months and shedding tons of hair for 7 months. In the beginning I was also losing over 300 hairs just afer showering and styling. The shedding has slowly decreased but after 9 months of being off the pill I'm still losing abnormal amounts - anywhere between 40-90 hairs per day. I have lost about 40% of my hair and it's been very depressing.

Everytime I see a hair fall out or see them all over my apartment it makes my heart just sink. I want this nightmare to be over.

I hope you have completely recovered and are doing well.

Pilar

Pilar,

After stopping yasmin and continuing to experience hair loss, has your doctor had any ideas as to why discontinuing yasmin hasn't solved the problem? Do you believe the continued hair loss is still related to yasmin? I've just recently started to explore the connection between yasmin and my hair loss and am trying to gain more understanding through other people's experiences. Thanks!