Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misterhealthman

**Revolutionary Discovery** Don't Overwash your skin

12 posts in this topic

This is very important but yet so overlooked by many. It took my over 2 years to figure this out and I am so glad that I did. I am really big into Holistic approaches to acne and I have come a long ways, I feel so much better, I seriously haven't been sick since I went to boot camp in the summer of 2004.

My skin has improved so much since eating healthy and exercise, mixed in with colon, kidney, liver flushes, fasts and all that stuff, it has done wonders for my skin. However I would still get break outs and I couldn't understand, my skin felt incredible, I would always wonder, why am I still breaking out? It doesn't make sense.

Then I came a crossed something that just opened my eyes and I was like DUH!!

See every single day I would steam my face, and then do the baby brush and baking soda or tea tree oil soap, after that I would put on a clay mask with tea tree oil. Everyday I would do that, all that scrubbing mixed that with a hot shower everyday. I would put aloe vera gel on my face throughout the day to moisturize and my face would get bright red, and I mean bright. I didn't think much of it but I realized that my face was incredibly dry if I was getting that red, it just felt chapped. That went on for 2 years.

I came a crossed information about this, all that scrubbing and washing was drying out my skin and that makes your skin weak, as a result your body will overproduce oil to compensate for the dryness and because your skin is so dry your face cannot shed skin cells well and as a result clogged pores=ACNE. This might be a well duh statement but just think how often you wash your face and how dry it is from all the stuff you use?

Now I only do the routine once a week and the other days just wash my face with water and it is doing wonders. This may not be a miracle cure but in reality this is something that I wish I would have found out 2 years ago.

Jeremiah 17:7-8

7 “ Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,

And whose hope is the LORD.

8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,

Which spreads out its roots by the river,

And will not fear[a] when heat comes;

But its leaf will be green,

And will not be anxious in the year of drought,

Nor will cease from yielding fruit

I am unclear. How many days a week are you washing your face with a cleanser?

My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen

Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash

Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream

Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream

Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles

Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen

Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls

starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only

Apply Differin to face and chest

Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream

Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

i agree, i use a mask on my face almost daily on spots; thinking this will help. not sure if it is overwashing but ill reduce the times a day i wash my face to two; instead of say 4. less spot treatment too :X

nice post.

must one fail for another to pass said by a wise man watching a fool pull a mule's ass

Once A week I steam my face, then use baking soda or tea tre oil soap and then use a baby brush to ex foliate, wash that off and thenapply a clay mask which is mixed with a little tea tree oil. Thats it, the other days of the week I only splash water on my face and use aloe vera gel for a moisturizer.

My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen

Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash

Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream

Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles

Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen

Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls

starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only

Apply Differin to face and chest

Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream

Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

Once A week I steam my face, then use baking soda or tea tre oil soap and then use a baby brush to ex foliate, wash that off and thenapply a clay mask which is mixed with a little tea tree oil. Thats it, the other days of the week I only splash water on my face and use aloe vera gel for a moisturizer.

I think it would be safe to say, AFTER you have your acne under control, washing once a week helps....

Insects walk below, I'm on a wire...

The fire will burn below, But I am higher.

[gasping with all your might]

See every single day I would steam my face, and then do the baby brush and baking soda or tea tree oil soap, after that I would put on a clay mask with tea tree oil. Everyday I would do that, all that scrubbing mixed that with a hot shower everyday. I would put aloe vera gel on my face throughout the day to moisturize and my face would get bright red, and I mean bright. I didn't think much of it but I realized that my face was incredibly dry if I was getting that red, it just felt chapped. That went on for 2 years.

My Regimen:

Started Accutane 1/12/10! Done as of 7/10/10!

Cleanser: Neutrogena Foaming Facial Cleanser (AM&PM)

Moisturizer: Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 (AM)

Topicals: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel (PM)

Other Pills: Velivet, Zinc, Vitamin E, Biotin, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, B Complex vitamins and Iron

Makeup: Lately, none, but when I do:

Meow Cosmetics Frisky Ocicat foundation

and whatever blush, eyeshadows, I deem necessary to wear.

Also, L'Oreal black eyeliner always.

Current Status: Face looking pretty darn good.

From the Acne Myths page on Acne Explained on this very website.

Myth:

Washing your face more often will help clear up acne

Reality:

Facial blemishes are not caused by dirt. Contrary to what you may have seen in commercials, pores do not get blocked from the top down due to "impurities". Rather, the walls of a pore stick together within the skin, starting acne formation. Far from preventing acne, frequent washing may actually irritate pores and cause them to become clogged. A washcloth can add even more irritation. The best bet is to wash very gently with bare hands, and only wash twice a day.

I'm glad you saw the light. :)

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

More likely you were irritating your face, allowing bacteria to enter your skin through minute scratches imposed by, as you put it, "all that scrubbing." The fact that your face was bright red and chapped feeling, says that the poor thing was just irritated beyond all belief. And also probably dried out and weakened, as you noticed.

I'm surprised no one has told you this yet (as it tends to be a hotly debated subject on this board), but overwashing does not actually increase oil production. More likely your poor epidermis needed time to heal, but you wouldn't let it with your relentless assault of product every day.

Now, I'm not knocking your current regimen. It's obviously working for you, and that's fantastic! Just wanted to let you know that it's probably not working for you why you think it is. Only washing your face once a week has probably let your face do what it naturally wanted to do: be normal and healthy. Kudos on figuring out what works for you...wish I had the stamina to do all the "healthy" stuff!

So then, im just wondering if all these products people use, all these anti-biotic topicals and all that just irritate their skin and weaken it only making things work. What if less is more

Very interesting thread here! Less is definitely MORE! I recently read a thread about cleansing with water only. Where I live, we're in the midst of a very harsh winter, and very harsh water to boot! The water is extremely chlorinated, and makes your skin look as if you just got out of a swimming pool. I got to thinking, if you're washing with this water AND soap on top of that...you're really stripping your skin out! As coincidence would have it, I've experienced a minor breakout, along with the old shaving issues I've had. Before the flamers get on here, and say "DUH, use a moisturizer", save your typing! Moisturizers are full of nasty chemicals that WILL break out your skin. Unless someone out there can send me certified & signed letter saying otherwise, this is NOT an option. So for now, I'm shelving 'ol Dr. Bronner, and see what happens with good old fashioned water. I don't know how this will bode when the weather warms up...we'll cross those roads later.

Volvo For Life!