Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zegogglestheydonothing

Does needling do anything to Keloid scars?

10 posts in this topic

Keliods are different from hypertrophic scars... If they are simply hypertrophic then dermaroller can help flatten them out... On the other hand if they are true Keloids then dermaroller will likely only make them worse...

lamarr1986 means "Hypotrophic" scarring. Your hypertrophic/keloid scarring isn't likely to be helped by needling or a dermaroller (which is different).

Hypertrophic is simply raised scar tissue is it not? where as i know keloid is aswell, but keloids are different in that they tend to have a different colour and don't respond to much other than cortizone injections or something like silicone sheets. I know my spelling isn't very good but i haven't heard of hypotrophic?

Hypertrophic scars left over from acne, tend to be the same colour as the rest of your skin, and i can say from personal experience needling combined with retin-a did help with the hypertrophic scars on my back... the needling breaks down the fibrous (sp) scar tissue and over time levels out the skin, esp when combined with a something like retin-a. If you tried rolling a Keloid it could stimulte it to grow, but like i said keloids are different from hypertrophic scars.

Please someone correct me here if i'm wrong?

Hypertrophic is simply raised scar tissue is it not? where as i know keloid is aswell, but keloids are different in that they tend to have a different colour and don't respond to much other than cortizone injections or something like silicone sheets. I know my spelling isn't very good but i haven't heard of hypotrophic?

Hypertrophic scars left over from acne, tend to be the same colour as the rest of your skin, and i can say from personal experience needling combined with retin-a did help with the hypertrophic scars on my back... the needling breaks down the fibrous (sp) scar tissue and over time levels out the skin, esp when combined with a something like retin-a. If you tried rolling a Keloid it could stimulte it to grow, but like i said keloids are different from hypertrophic scars.

Please someone correct me here if i'm wrong?

I do agree though, if you have very raised scarring, i don't think needleing will help a great deal. Go with something like silicone sheets, not much harm can be done with those...

Silicone sheets won't help. At least they never did for me. I used them for years with no results. I am with a different derm who has injected my keloids and they are actually flat now. I just wonder how long they will stay this way. Hopefully after accutane I can get laser treatment done to help the redness.

Started Accutane Sept. 22, 2007

Regimen

Morning and Evening

Clinique Mild Liquid Facial Soap

Clinique Clarifying Lotion 1

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Clinique Superdefense Triple Action Moisturizer SPF 25

Olay Quench Therapy Lotion

All Day

Clinique Superbalm Moisturizing gloss

Cortaid for my Keloid Scars

I might be world's expert on hypertrophic scarring, I'm not kidding. I've had those scars, badly, for years and I've tried EVERYTHING and researched this extensively.

If you really have hypertophic scarring, needling CAN make it worse. Because the scar tissue wants to grow, it always wants to grow back. And injuring the skin will stimulate more scar tissue to grow. If it's a keloid it will just keep growing beyond the bounds of the scar. Both these types of scars will grow back time and again.

Steroids can flatten the scars, but not always. Sometimes steroids alone do nothing. I've had many shots that did nothing. What works every time is steroid shots combined with cryotherapy, or freezing the scar. This makes it peel away. It might take a few treatements to finally get rid of it if it's very raised.

However, the scar still might return, which is really depressing. This happened to me many times -- mine are very raised -- until I found a cream called Lisset, which you can get from www.Taosherb.com

This cream miraculously keeps the scar from returning. I ran out of it and had to wait to do my last treatment until i could get it again, because my experience is clearly that the scar will return if I don't use the cream. I am so grateful for this cream, I can hardly express it.

So that's what I know. Good luck with your scars.

If you really have hypertophic scarring, needling CAN make it worse. Because the scar tissue wants to grow, it always wants to grow back.