1. Reviews Spectro AcneCare
    Gel-ish Spreads easily Dries quickly
    Small bottle (25mL, .8oz) is gone before you know it Goes on white and dries in streaks Leaves a warming sensation
    This is a gel-ish benzoyl peroxide which spreads easily and dries pretty quickly. However, it goes on very white and is pretty much impossible to use an adequate amount and get it to absorb. It ends up leaving white streaks on the skin. Not cute. It also comes in a tiny tube so you'd have to buy many, many of these if you're using it for The Regimen. It has a slightly medicinal smell which I don't personally mind. It also imparts a slightly warm feeling after application which I also don't mind too much, but would prefer that it not.
  2. Goes on clear Broad spectrum Feels high quality
    Expensive Could be a bit more moisturizing
    Try mixing 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon with your regular moisturizer for a good SPF option on The Regimen. Goes on white like all zinc oxide based SPFs tend to do, but the whiteness fades and it does not leave a white/pale residue. Nice after-feel with no tackiness left on skin.
  3. Reviews Johnson's Head-to-Toe Baby Wash
    Great foam Large sizes for cheap prices Backed by large, reputable company
    Contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate, a potentially irritating ingredient Fragranced - I prefer scent-free
    This is a great alternative cleanser when on The Regimen. It is sold everywhere, comes in large and extra large sizes for extremely affordable prices. It's a mass market, low cost product, but reaches a high quality mark worthy of 5 stars. It really goes to show that you don't need to pay more for quality. Part of the reason this cleanser lather so well is from the addition of Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS), a strong ingredient which efficiently removes oils but which can tend to be a little overdrying depending on the amount used in a cleanser. However, even with the addition of SLS, this cleanser proves to be a manageable and long-term solution for cleansing, especially if you don't mind a slightly baby-scented cleansing product. J&J makes me feel all cozy inside: I am not familiar with the inner workings of the company, but I personally like that this cleanser is made by Johnson & Johnson's--one of the oldest and most trusted companies out there--and that it's made for babies. There's just no way the biggest name in baby wash is fooling around with quality of their product.
  4. Reviews Gillette Trac II Plus
    Very low irritation 2-blade Everything about it is just right
    Really can't think of any, except it would be nice if I could figure out how to get the cartridges to last longer. I've tried keeping them dry, rubbing them on jeans (search Youtube for this if you want to know what I mean), and so far can only get them to last for max 2 weeks.
    I've been using this razor daily for the better part of a decade. I take breaks from using it to try every other razor out there, and always come back to it quickly. It's quite strangely the best razor out there even though it came out in 1972. I suppose shaving technology reached it's apex in the early 70s. This is a two blade razor that gives two blade razors a great name. Other 2 blade razors, like the Gillette Sensor Excel are also good options, but none are as gentle as the TracII. Important: These are only sold as cartridges, and do not come with a handle. Based on price, effectiveness, and design, the best handle is called the Gillette 7 o'clock razor handle, although there are some fancier heavyweight handles which can also be fun.
  5. Reviews Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar
    Inexpensive Lasts a long time Rich, thick lather
    Lingering scent
    I used this bar for about a year, about 10 years ago. I tried it again recently and remember why I liked it. The lather is truly rich and thick. This makes cleansing a super-low irritation experience since your hands glide so easily over the skin. The thick lather also works brilliantly as a shaving "cream." Overall, this bar does not leave me feeling overly dry. It does its job of removing surface oils without overstripping. However, it does have a distinct scent that sticks around. Long after I've left the shower and arrive at work, my hands still smell. Luckily it's not a horrible scent, but I would much prefer to not carry the scent along with me throughout my day.
  6. Reviews Basis Sensitive Skin Bar
    Unscented Affordable Gentle, yet with a thick lather
    None
    While it may not lather quite as well as the Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar, this bar does generate a nice, thick lather which makes moving the hands across the skin easy and non-irritating. It cleanses the skin without over-drying and is very affordable. The lather also works great as a shave "cream." The reason this is my favorite bar is a combination of the above plus the fact that it is unscented! Bravo to Beiersdorf, Inc., the company that makes Basis, for leaving this bar without added scent. Much appreciated.
  7. Inexpensive Lasts a long time Rich, thick lather
    Lingering scent
    This bar is identical to the regular Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar but with .3% Triclosan added. Antibacterial ingredients like Triclosan when added to cleansers are more for label claim than anything since cleanser itself is antibacterial. I notice zero difference between the two bars when I use them. Here is my previous review I added for the regular Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar: The lather is truly rich and thick. This makes cleansing a super-low irritation experience since your hands glide so easily over the skin. The thick lather also works brilliantly as a shaving "cream." Overall, this bar does not leave me feeling overly dry. It does its job of removing surface oils without overstripping. However, it does have a distinct scent that sticks around. Long after I've left the shower and arrive at work, my hands still smell. Luckily it's not a horrible scent, but I would much prefer to not carry the scent along with me throughout my day.
  8. Non-comedogenic Fragrance-free Light feel
    Turns white when you sweat a lot Must reapply after 2 hours - as you must with any chemical SPF Slight sting
    This is a basic, broad spectrum sunscreen which fulfills its label claim not to break you out. It dispenses as an extremely light feeling liquid, which is ideal to mix into whichever moisturizer you normally use. It stays put throughout the day and provides thorough SPF support. Great product. I mix about 1/3 teaspoon of it into Acne.org Moisturizer and it works great. Unfortunately, it does turn white when you sweat.
  9. Reviews Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser
    Ultra-gentle Moisturizing - great for super dry skin Milky texture feels "kind" to the skin
    Not great to use as a "shave cream", although it will work in a pinch More expensive than Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser per ounce
    This product looks like a sort of thick milk when it is dispensed. It has a fantastic milky texture which is ultra-gentle and kind to the skin. It washes off well and leaves the skin nice and moist. The formulators at Neutrogena did a bang up job on this product. It can be a little harder to find on store shelves, but it's worth the effort. As far as non-foaming cleansers go, this one is my favorite. I prefer it to Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
  10. Zinc oxide is a kind ingredient to acne-prone skin
    Thick and goopy Too white Hard to apply and does not mix well with moisturizer
    I like trying any new "vanishing" zinc-based sunscreen, so I tried this. I did not like it. I found it to be thick and goopy in consistency. It also does not disappear as well as other zinc-based sunscreens I have tried, and is hard to mix with other moisturizer. While it is less expensive, it is far inferior to Philosophy Hope In A Jar Oil Free SPF 30 (my favorite zinc-based sunscreen).
Male, 08/06/1972