So it's been a strange and off week but I am staying busy post break-up and luckily I've had a lot of support from friends, family, and here.
With that being said I've read a lot of other people's lists and recommendations and always found it helpful so I've decided to make one of my own. I've decided to break the list down into three categories: products that have helped me control/get rid of my acne, products that neither helped nor exacerbated my acne, and products that were counter-productive and broke me out.
Products that have been Counter-Productive to me :
1. Benzoyl Peroxide--I used this when I was younger and it dried out my skin but as I've gotten older I've become much more sensitive to it--now it dries out my skin, makes my skin red, makes my skin look older, AND causes me to break out even more. (Includes Proactiv set, Panoyxl wash, Neutrogena spot treatment, etc...)
2. Got2B Face peel mask: fun to use but caused me to break out badly!
3. Ortho Tricyclen and Ortho Tricyclen Lo: Both caused me to break out more and effected my moods, but prevented me from havin babies....
4. Biore Strips: Again fun to use but totally ineffective and irritating.
5. Minocyclen(as well as other antibiotics) : Initially effective but had to stay on it to maintain clear skin! Once I had been on it for awhile it became less effective, my immunity to antibiotics grew, and when I stopped taking them my skin broke out badly--in the end not worth it for a several months of clear skin--did I mention it is expensive too?.
6. Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily Treatment Conditioner: made me break out horribly wherever my hair touched my face.
7. Stress and PMS !
8. Breaking up with someone or being dumped
I know there are more things but I can't think of them now but I will keep the list updated.
Products that have neither helped nor exacerbated my acne :
1. Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Soaps: I have a serious soft spot for Br. B's soaps they are great for cleaning everything--your body, fruits and veggies, your house, even your pets! All organic, natural, and free trade ingredients used too which is awesome in of itself. However I used Dr. B's tea tree oil soap on my face and body for two months--it cleaned my face thoroughly and removed make-up well, reduced facial oilyness, BUT did not prevent acne from forming or heal acne....so now I just use it as a general body cleanser....
2. Murad Acne Wash and Skin perfecting lotion--nice cleanser and lotion but did not prevent acne from forming.
3. Neutrogena Facial bar, face mask/cleanser, acne body scrub, on the spot treatment--a bit drying, same comments apply.
4. MK Timewise facial clothes, MK blemish control toner/mask--both good products neither worked or hurt.
5. Dr. Hauschka Blemish/Oily Control Toner: Smells and feels great on your skin but did nothing for my acne and is quite overpriced.
6. Nature's Cure Supplements and Acne Body Spray: Used both consistently and it had no effect on my acne.
7. Being vegan for 6+ months--Lost too much weight, still had acne, but on the plus side I felt "healthier".
8. Not drinking coffee: still had acne and I was grumpy/less alert and not much fun to be around.
9. Having a beer or glass of wine: sometimes had a headache but that's it...
Again I am probably missing some things but I will add on if I remember.
Products and Practices that have reduced, healed, or gotten rid of my acne :
1. Taking a Multi-mineral supplement--the key ingredient being ZINC. It has helped any inflammation I have heal A LOT faster and my skin is a lot less oily.
2. Eating more protein, veggies, and fruits, less carbs(and being vegetarian)--has kept my skin from being inflamed and I've lost the extra weight I had gained!
3. Taking Alpha Lipoic Acid, fish oil pills, vitamin A, and DIM! My skin is improving more and more everyday.
4. Taking Yasmin BC: Really cleared my skin but gave me mild depression and mood swings...tempted to go back on it but I want to see if I can clear my acne with diet and vitamins first.
5. Murad Sulfur Acne Spot treatment, Exfoliating Acne gel, Post Acne Spot Lightening gel and Pomegranate SPF 15 sunscreen--all great products that have helped control my acne (but it's expensive!).
6. Tea Tree Oil: cheap, great spot treatment, heals spots fast and brings underlying acne to a head.
7. Derma Klear Sulfur Soap: great results with this so far, using on both my face and back, and arms to eliminate acne.
8. Being Happy, positive, and grateful--has put having acne into perspective and given me a lot more empathy to others who are suffering and have self-esteem issues.
Well I hope that helps some of you and I hope you all are progressing well on your regimens!