Hi! I decided to start this blog because I've had a kind of difficult time finding information on this site for people with mild acne & sensitive skin. A lot of information from people with severe acne applies to me, too, but I want to give my results/perspective for other people like me.
I am 18 and live in the Mid-Atlantic, so it's rather hot & humid here in the summer, and cold & dry in the winter. The best of both worlds!
I've been getting acne for about 5 years, I guess. My family has a history of bad skin, so my Mom made sure I was already in the habit of washing my face before I even started to have breakouts. I've used lots of different OTC products--Clean & Clear, Clearasil, but mostly I stuck to Neutrogena [i love that smell!]. From about August or September last year  until the end of May  I was using Neutrogena Invigorating Daily Scrub stuff which worked reasonaby well and I liked. It smelled nice, and who doesn't love the menthol tingle? I also used the On-the-Spot BP and sometimes the Rapid Clear spot gel and also sometimes Clindamycin gel that I got from my doctor for the many little bumps I had on my forehead. That routine was okay but after ProActiv exploded, and I was getting older and it seemed like a lot of my friend's acne was going away, I was frustrated. My acne has never been bad, but it always seems worse than most. So, I switched over to AcneFree, the drugstore/Costco version of ProActiv. I read on the website that it could take up to 3 months to see a big change, and that your acne would probably get worse before it got better. So I used it for 3 months and waited...and waited...and waited. My skin became REALLY dry--it's always been a bit dry, but this was excessive--and I was having more breakouts than I'd ever had before.
That was when I started doing research on the internet and came across acne.org! And it changed my life! Since then I've sworn off AcneFree and I'm on the Regimen using Neutrogena products, but I will probably end up buying DKR stuff if I decide I like the Regimen. It's been nearly a week now and I'm pretty satisfied.
After a week on the Regimen my skin is incredibly dry & flaky--BUT, I would definitely say I've had less breakouts. Maybe just one spot that turned into an actual pimple? Even the little under-the-skin bumps that have plagued me for a few years are going away. The flakiness & tightness of my skin bugs me, but I read that that would happen so I'm trying to bite the bullet.
My Current Routine:
- Wash in shower w/ Neutrogena Extra Gentle cleanser
- I use my brother's Oxy face wash on my shoulders [10% BP] because I sometimes breakout a bit there
- Neutrogena On-the-Spot 2.5% BP cream [only in places where I have actual whiteheads, etc. If I do both day & night it's too drying]
- Olay Complete all-day moisturizer
- Neutrogena Extra Gentle cleanser
- On-the-Spot BP [i only use about 1/3 of my finger, even though I've used BP for a long time. The first few days I used more but it was just too much for my skin]
- Olay Complete all-day moisturizer
- ice pack any really inflamed spots
A few times a week:
- 1 tsp. lemon juice for about 20/30 mins.
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil for about 15/20 mins.
- Whenever I use the olive oil I use Neutrogena foaming facial cloths instead of the cleanser because otherwise it's difficult to get all the olive oil off.
- Because of a disease I have called myasthenia gravis I've recently had to start making sure I eat regular meals and get plently of vitamins, luckily, this only helps my skin!
- I usually drink 1 - 2 packets of Emergen-C a day
- Take a Woman's multi-vitamin [to get my zinc]
- I already take 30 mg. of iron for anemia
- I plan to start taking some fish oil pills as soon as I can get to Costco
Also I'm going to try and find some jojoba oil and a baby hair brush.
I'm pretty optimistic about how this all is going to end up! I will post pictures tomorrow.