its been 9 weeks already, to be exact today it's my 65th day on accutane. my 2nd check up with my derm last week went ok, my blood tests were fine and im now alternating between 80mg the first day and 40mg the second.
i have no active acne right now, just healing ones. hopefully i've had my last breakout ever, these scars are taking forever to heal. good news is as of now my forehead is 99% clear of acne AND scars. same side effects, just dry lips.
i consider myself somewhat experienced on the whole accutane journey now and i've noticed a lot of new accutane blogs, so i've decided to give everyone new to accutane some tips..
1) you must wash your face and moisturize only twice a day, i suggest morning and night. get a gentle face wash and wash gently because accutane WILL make your face much more sensitive to the slightest touch, aquaphor gentile face wash works fine for me. don't ever over wash or moisturize, touching your face will only make things worse.
2) try to get moisturizers with aloe vera or vitamin E, also take a vitamin E supplement. acne scars are almost just as bad as acne, a good moisturizer and 1000 IU of vitamin E will help those acne scars heal sooner.
3) avoid mirrors. i don't know about you but everytime i looked in the mirror i only felt worse. be patient, accutane takes time to work. nothing will change if you look in the mirror every hour.
4) DON'T pick at zits. i know it's hard to resist but picking only makes things a lot worse, especially on accutane because it makes your skin more sensitive. but i will add that some zits, such as whiteheads, heal quicker if popped. so i've come up with this useful rule: if a zit can be popped by gently squeezing it on the FIRST try, then it's ok, if not just leave it alone.
5) don't avoid friends and family. i know a lot of people don't have this problem but i do know some people just like me that have avoided everyone they know because of their acne. avoiding friends and family isn't healthy. i know a lot of acne-free people say it's just acne but only we understand how it feels. so here is my personal advice: don't avoid family at all, they will be understanding no matter what. friends are another story. of course only your real friends will not care what you look like but i was still embarrassed of my acne, so i mostly hung out with friends during night time, when my face was least visible. trust me a lot people wouldn't even notice my acne, and you can tell when people notice because they won't stop staring.
6) drink water. i've been drinking only water from a few months now and i thinks it's really helped. its helped not only with the accutane but also with scars. i drink about 2 liters of water everyday, it sounds like a lot but in small portions throughout the day you can get that and much more in you.
7) be patient. chances are things will get worse before they get better and real results won't come for a few months but results will come and things will get much better.
ok now for everyone taking accutane without insurance like me, it is crazy expensive. here are some tips to save some money.
1) shop around and buy generic. generic works just as well and prices vary in different places. i know everyone says to buy from a canadian pharmacy but a lot of them are not legit and the medicine takes weeks to actually reach you. with a $20 yearly prescription card from walgreens i get 50 40mg for $220. after you look at accutane prices you'll realize that's a good deal.
2) charge your lab tests to your doctor and later reimburse your doctor. doctors get discounts on
labs, you would pay around $100 but your doctor about $30.
3) buy carmax. your lips WILL need it, it works much better than chapstick and is way cheaper than the aquaphor lip treatment stuff.
good luck to everyone and hope this information helps. hopefully my face continues to improve as well, i'll see ya next week.