MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Reviews

Brand: MAC

MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Not worth the disaster and dermatologist bills afterwards

Amazing coverage and flawless Hollywood star picture effect, however the 'price' you have to pay for. After using this product for about the months - on and off..OMG my skin is so bad. Breakouts everywhere and a few cystic acne as well. I have had clear skin all my life and this breakout is really really bad to the point that I am stresssed out and embarrassed to go out. It took me sometime to figure out what was causing the breakout and am glad I finally did. During Christmas I stopped using the product as I was home for a week and my skin was better. I used it twice last week and my face is on full on breakout mode again. Now it's apparent which product is the culprit. As for the scar, I am using Estée Lauder synchronised recovery serum - has been using for 6 years now and it has once again proven its value, its worth every penny. Conclusion ditch the studio fix - not worth the disaster afterwards.

Comments

Real-life photoshop, but the consequences are terrible

I wish I hated this foundation. It's the only one that looks like actual perfection on my skin, it covers everything (I suffer with acne -not cystic- and a looooooooot of post-acne red spots that once they're left behind, they legitimately never fade). I can't describe how beautiful it looks on the skin. But once it's removed, the next day I started getting red areas across my face, which have turned into numerous painful acne as well as blackheads and pus-filled pimples. After 2 weeks of application, my skin is finally calming down with reactions. Unfortunately, as I said, the post-acne spots never fade on me as I'm white as snow, I'm bound to left with those ugly reminders of this foundation even after acne is completely gone.

Comments

This is the cause of my closed comedones

Soooo, after watching so many youtube videos and reading numerous reviews about this foundation, i realised that this might be the cause of my acne.. I was using the foundation daily to go to work for almost 3 years because of the great smooth natural coverage.. but what i didn't know was that it was clogging my pores and i was having so many closed comedones that will eventually turn into big pimples or i would extract them and cause post hyperpigmentation.. so i decided to stop using it at least for one month and see how my face will react to that.. i would say that my face is 80 % clear just by stopping using it, no more closed comedones, Alhamdullah (thanks to God). however, I'm still getting the hormonal breakouts once a month. I found that i was suffering from acne after consuming eggs and citrus and acne cosmatica "it's a medical term that's used to describe the acne that we get from using makeup" obviously i was getting this type from my beloved studio fix mac foundation. search for it in google and look into the pictures u might be suffring from it as well. I felt strange when i stopped using this because i was soo in love with the coverage but i sacrificed the coverage to get the clear skin that i want.. it has been almost 3 months now since i stopped using it and my face is feeling wonderful and breathable all the day long. No more foundations for me at all now. the thing that was confusing me with this was that it was not breaking me out immediately after using it, it's kind of a cumulative action.. it's just slowly clog your pores and creat small bumps under the skin, then once the period takes place everything comes out as big pimples, so i was thinking that it was my hormonal acne but actually the hormones just bring up all the things that were already there.. these days I'm just getting 4 pimples or less (the hormonal onse) comparing to 10/15 pimples.. in addition of stopping using the foundation I've been using 2 soaps.. the first one is koji san soap, i bought it from amazon and the other one is a herbal soap called chide, i bought it from Thailand through facebook both of them are removing all the impurities that I'm having.. till now both of them have been working great for me, thanks to God. They dries the small bumps, the acne that are without heads they bring them into a head and fade my hyperpigmentation.. they work like magic together.. if Anyone has any question feel free to send me at any time..

Comments

Higly comedogenic, clogs n break you out

I am user of Mac studio fix fluid foundation n it's biggest fan. If looks damn beautiful on skin, gives full coverage n makes your face look like a perfectly painted canvas but the worst part comes later. It breaks you out like hell. It took me two years to understand the cause of my breakout. I never broke before, it was just like once in a blue moon concept. I got married in 2012, thenafter I started using Mac for beautiful coverage. It made me braekout with big huge cysts. But it was too hard to believe as their makeup artist claimed that it can't breakout any kinda skin. Then I got pregnant in 2015 n gradually stopped using that much makeup I.e. Mac studio fix. Within few days my acne cleared n my skin looked clean. Since then I stopped using Mac foundations n my skin is free from acne completely. Now m in search of equivalent beautiful foundation especially which gives yellow finish just like mac but with no breakout. Plzz suggest Regards

Hello, Thank you for sharing your experience. I am Anne, I am a french green beauty blogger and I have made a list of clean foundations (without silicones like in MAC, or harmful ingredient) : [link removed] I hope you will find the foundation that suits you! The MAC one contains a lot of silicones, including cyclopentasiloxane which is a very bad ingredient because it is a silicone that clogs your pores and which is an endocrine disruptor... Cheers, Anne

Coverage wasn't great, clogged pores

I bought this after seeing it is classed as a full coverage foundation. The coverage I would say was medium, my redness showed through and if I leave it on too long it did cause spots in my problem areas.

Breaks me out

I can't say i didn't help me to coverage my acne/scars, it have a really good coverage, but it feels kind of heavy, but it looks amazing when you put it in your skin, looks natural with one layer. After weeks, it breaks me out so badly, now I have pimples in my cheeks and in my forehead, I will buy another foundation, and return this. Very disappointed.

Comments

If you want to f**k your face, go get this

So. I'm giving it two starts just cause it has an amazing shade palette and I love the consistence and also the coverage is amazing. When you don't have acne prone skin, go get this for sure. But if you have, don't buy it. I went in Mac being considered that I will buy the best make up that I can and I asked for something that can cover. She gave me studio fix. Yes it was perfect color and covered everything. And yes in one week I had perfect pimples all over my face 😂 I didn't realize it's the make up and I continued using it another 2 months until I realize that I'm doing something wrong with the make up. I stoped using it and everything got fine. So for me never again :) but quality is nice.

Comments

Good coverage but very comedogenic!

Don't get me wrong....the coverage is amazing. First time I found a foundation that looked natural on me but I started noticing myself breaking out with tiny lumps all over my cheeks, jawline and forehead. This product is definitely NOT non-comedogenic. Unfortunately I still use it to cover my acne as I haven't purchased anything new and each time I'd break out.

Pimples everywhere

I wanted to give it one star but ugh I just love how the foundation. I was looking for a new foundation for an event I was going too and bought this one. Ive heard so many good reviews about how good coverage it gives. It did give a wonderful coverage but after I took it off....my face just broke out all over. Little tiny dots all over my chin and jawline. Pimples all over my forehead and cheeks. It was horrible it lasted for a good 2 months until I couldn't take it and went to the doctor.

What did the doctor tell you to do ?

Not good for acne skin

Years ago before I had bad acne I quite liked this foundation. Last year during a major breakout and with VERY bad oily skin I gave this another go.... not good for acne skin. Made me break out MUCH more and clogged my pores really badly and also made them appear more visible.

SO good!

this is an amazing foundation! I have been using it everyday for the last 3 weeks and my skin is better than ever. I went to MAC and asked for a foundation that could is buildable and that would work on very combination skin (like seriously combination - my t-zone is so oily I'm surprised BP hasn't contacted me yet for drilling rights..) anyway back on topic - in the store they emphasised having well moisturised skin but also mixing a primer or moisturiser into the foundation to sheer it out and make it less cakey and heavy - and what a difference it makes! Naturally I was hesitant of layering moisturiser onto my already oily t-zone but to be honest it hasn't been a problem at all - and I've been told that adding extra moisture can help the situation which it does seem to have done pretty nicely. I have also tried the foundation alone and while it can be pretty with an hour and a half of buffing - it's not perfect! (good for a night out though - it doesn't go anywhere) I sort of feel like you have to approach this bottle as being a very big and very heavy duty concealer - it is just SO pigmented. But when sheered out it is absolutely gorgeous and lasts ALL day and ALL night (even with my oil slick of a t-zone). All in all i think this is a very nice foundation that is just being a little misunderstood! p.s. its EVEN BETTER with FIX+ sprayed under it aswell as when you are done :)

Caused terrible acne

I went to the MAC counter looking for a foundation with a good coverage and the lady offered me the studio fix fluid and tried it on me and I loved it! However after only wearing it for 4 days I now have terrible acne, which I have never had before, I occasionally get a few spots but nothing like this. My face was completely covered in spots and was incredibly sore, stay away from it!

Can I ask what you did to get rid of the acne? I got my makeup done for my birthday awhile back and since I break out regularly. I never use to have acne, I mean maybe once a month one little spot. I never had to use concealer but if I did I would never break out. I've spent so much money on products. I'm considering a dermatologist although I don't believe my insurance will cover it. Searching for solutions!

Use Sparingly

I bought this foundation on a splurge in the summer after my birthday and had it colour tested. I would like to mention the girls in the store did not do the foundation justice as they all looked as if they had wall paper paste on their faces. I was warned about oxidising and how I should apply in small layers with a stippling brush, but in store it looked fine, just a tad overdone. I tried this out a few days later to see it was thick, hard to blend and cakey, so I left it for a powder foundation instead. I tried it consistantly to find the colours and consistency was way off until recently when I pulled it out. I used a tiny amount with a damp beauty blender and blended it evenly down my neck and it looked fine. I added a little bit more and powdered and it didn't cake at all. Overall verdict - Use thin layers and slowly build it up.

Cakey, Clogging, Crap

If you are looking for something similar to wall paper paste you may have found your ideal foundation. I came across this foundation on the recommendation of a friend who had flawless skin. I headed straight to the MAC store and splashed out £15 for a bottle. I used it for around 6 months, I don't know how I lasted that long. It clogged every pore on my face, but it was an accumulative effect. I didn't realise that this had anything to do with my slowly, but surely clogging pores. Of course, a serious breakout ensued and I remedied this by piling on more foundation. The foundation itself is thick, heavy and cakey. It sticks in lines on your face and gives you a chalky, pasty appearance. Studio Fix Fluid was actually created to be used as stage makeup. Please, please avoid this if you have acne prone skin. It is the most clogging foundation I have ever used.

Please don't purchase

Hi, well I have always used double wear, I love the coverage off it but fancyed something new. I went to the counter at Mac and got persuaded to buy the bb cream with the primer in it ( terrible) the concealer (shows every line and crease) the foundation (broke my full face out in massive spots. I do have mild acne but now it looks so bad there is not one inch of my face now that does not have a spot) and the powder ( looked translucent even though it was not meant to be). In the store she showed me how to apply it all and she told me that NC35 was my natural colour. Ok well I looked orange when I tried it at home. I could not contour as it was so dark. I am naturally sallow skinned but I have a red face from the acne and Anne treatments. I honestly looked so terrible. I went into work and everyone was like what have you done to your face. Please lovly ladies don't buy it. X

Ez3

Not for acne prone skin

I have very acne prone skin and went to make hoping to find something to help with coverage about 2 years ago. The MAC lady recommended the studio fix liquid so I purchased it. Had great coverage but I immediately began breaking out. Literally hours after applying. I used it for about 2 weeks hoping for a change that never occurred. Now I'm stuck with a product I can't use. I don't recommend this for those suffering with acne

What do you use now? I have used this product for 2 years with the same issue. I need suggestions of a full coverage makeup that looks good and will not break out my skin

Good coverage

I like this makeup I've used it for several years now but recently stopped. Even members of staff working for MAC have told me that this foundation is known to oxidise, this being the main problem. I continuously purchased the lightest shade (NC15) but even after a while this was making me look orange, I had noticeable lines which no one wants! My sister has the same issue using this makeup. There is yellow based (NC) and pink based (NW), yellow bases are good for concealing redness, which this foundation is good at. The coverage is good and will cover most redness (a little difficult to cover purple marks) and is build-able. Some may say it is a little pricey but as you often find, you get what you pay for. Overall I would recommend this foundation, I don't know what it's like in other shades but the oxidisation is a massive pitfall for this unfortunately.

Not Worth it

Long Lasting Natural Finish Good Coverage Clogs Pores Doesn't let skin breath My skin is oily, but not acne prone. I've only had a few zits over the course of my life. But a few months ago, I developed several whiteheads. I had about 5 on my forehead just under my hairline, and another 4 just to the left of my eyebrow. I've never had any problem with this before. I recently realized that the whiteheads appeared around the time I started using MAC Matchmaster foundation. But I didn't make the connection. I recently started using MAC Studio Fix Fluid. As soon as I started using it, I fell in love with it. It gave me good, buildable coverage, and lasted all day. But then, yesterday, I looked in the mirror and discovered 5 new whiteheads on my right cheek. They weren't very big, but they were noticeable. I finally realized it had to be the Studio Fix Fluid. It's a shame, because I really liked the foundation. But obviously, I'm not going to keep using a product that is going to clog my pores and wreck my skin. I ended up returning this to the MAC counter and will not repurchase. If you at all prone to acne or clogged pores, I wouldn't recommend using any MAC foundation. Numerous reviewers have mentioned that this foundation caused them to break out or develop whiteheads and blackheads.

Guest sad
Guest sad

Covers well and lasts the whole day Perfect colour match Breakouts in areas where I used the foundation Oily, despite being the most "matte" liquid foundation of the mac range The temporary effects of the foundation are good, its good coverage and blends well. Thick, so it covers acne and scars. HOWEVER, has made me break out tremendously levaing scars that I've had for over a year :( which have now multiplied! Wish I read these reviews before I bought it and used it for so long. If you have acne do not buy this I am now suffering the consequences with these acne scars. Boo :(

Guest Sera
Guest Sera

Full Coverage Oily Skin Conjestion Little Pimples which have stayed there for years Black heads/ White heads Bottom Line would be do not use this makeup if you have acne skin. I used this from the age of 16-20years old and my skin is liturally a mess because of it. If only i had stuck to mineral makeup or better yet wore nothing at all, i wouldn't have a the problems i do now. In all honestly its great to have full coverage, but this makeup is terrible especially if your using it everyday for years on end.

Guest Jo
Guest Jo

Med-Full Coverage Expensive Makes you look really oily (unless you set it but even afterwards it will show again) Made me break out! No pump (you have to buy it separately) At first I was so excited to try this foundation! Heck I was estatic! It cost me about $50 since I bought the concealer too. Anyways, I always have had acne and before I started using this product my acne was in pretty good shape. I was loving this product but given a couple of weeks of using this product I thought my face was fine and BOOM! OMG, I had the worst breakout EVER! I was mortified! I was actually convincing myself that maybe its the time that I get this crazy breakout! But to think of it now, I don't think so! Because of the full coverage it does I think thats what made me breakout crazy! It was clogging my pores! *Sigh* Until to this day I still have those breakouts and I am trying to find ways to heal it. Hell, I even have scars too now! Im in the process of trying out the natural remedy thats on here. This product may not have worked for me but maybe it'll work for you! After all everyone has different types of skin it just depends if your skin can tolerate it!

Guest Stella
Guest Stella

Very great coverage, my skin looked flawless when I used this product. After a few months, it made me break out so much around my cheeks. I began to get whiteheads and blackheads underneath my skin, so it definitely was clogging my pores a lot!

Popular Foundation