Lush Coalface Cleanser Reviews

Brand: Lush

Lush Coalface Cleanser

good cleanser but not strong enough for big breakouts

When my acne was worse I used to use this in the morning and then use my stronger cleanser with salicylic acid in at night to really treat my breakouts as I found that this wasn't enough on its own. Now however as my acne has cleared up mostly I'm happy to use this day and night as my only cleanser, It works well and leaves my skins feeling clean and doesn't dry me out. If you have mild to moderate acne i'd give this a go but if you get really severe breakouts you might need something a bit stronger.

Comments

Great but probably not for severe acne

My acne is pretty particular... I occasionally have hormonal cystic acne on the cheeks and chin but most of the time, my acne is purely comedone acne from excess sebum production. So exfoliating products like this one, which are also gentle and not full of a lot of physical or chemical exfoliants, are for me. I like using this every day. For my skin, which is fairly sensitive but not prone to aggressive acne, this works really wonderfully. It's gentle but still a bit exfoliating and calming. Although LUSH really sells this as a charcoal product, it's actually a LICORICE root ("liquorice" in the UK and Canada, btw) product, which is why you should be interesting: the Acne.Org regime pushes a licorice root biproduct (licochalcone) hard because it's a gentle, natural anti-inflammatory. But licorice hasn't yet become a popular trendy ingredient so it's hard to find. This is actually the first ingredient, above water itself, and waaaaaaay about anything related to coal, in the Coalface product. So when I use this, I occasionally use it as a mask and leave it on my skin for a few minute before washing it off. It's not a miracle worker, but I always find that my skin behaves a lot better when I'm washing with this versus any other face wash.

DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN

I've been using this product for over 2 months and to my dismay, it has made my skin the worst it has ever been. Because I have sensitive skin, this product made me have red bumps all over my face and aggravated breakouts. The reason I'm giving it 2 stars is because at least it has decent oil control.

CLEARED MY SKIN

This is my first review and i felt that I just HAD to write this! Ive been suffering with acne for a good 3 years and this has completely changed my skin. I had HORRIBLE acne on my cheeks and chin and this has beeen the only thing to clear it. My face is completely clear and my pores are basicly invisible. Finally and can walk around without makeoup

Pretty Good ��

For a high school student, oily skin is part of my appearance. I recently went to lush with some friends and I noticed coalface and relized that I wouldn't be spending over 10 dollars without knowing if I liked it or not. So with the sample they gave me, I broke of a small bit and worked it into a lather as the directions said. My face felt tight and clear as some thought of it as a bad thing. I interpret it as a good thing because I use it before bed. Minutes after washing off, I walked into my sister's room and she quickly noted that my face looked clean and not oily as it usually does. One of the best qualities is that you don't need a lot, my sample will last me a month (I assume), but for a long term full size it could last you 6 months+. If there was a coalface mask, that worked more on reducing acne, I wouldn't use anything else.

User511431
There is, it's called Dark Angels, you can get it from LUSH too! :)

Too irritating

I have severely oily skin, and I bought this thinking that it would become my holy grail cleanser.. Well, that wasn't the case. First off, after using it my face feels soo tight and irritated (I'd heard a lot of people didn't like it for that reason). Secondly, this did NOTHING for my oily skin. No improvements whatsoever, even after using it every night for almost 2 months. Lastly, and I can't be completely sure it was this product, but I think this may be what gave me the same impacted pores that someone on a previous review mentioned. So, yeah, I'm kind of done with this soap. For added measure, it doesn't smell all that great.

Comments

Cleanses well; organic; lasts a long time; lathers well; bar is easy to use; reduces oil without overdrying Stings eyes like hand soap would; feels too "squeaky clean"; leaves actual scratch marks on skin; difficult to find Lush stores; doesn't help acne. This was easy to use, since you can just rub the bar directly onto the skin or lather in your hands. I learned quickly to do the latter, since the scratchy pieces of coal it contains to help exfoliate actually left red marks on my sensitive skin (never a good sign). If I got it around or in my eyes, they burned and felt as if I had gotten regular body or hand soap in them. This isn't gentle stuff. It does absorb oil well, though; no improvement in acne seen :(

Guest Julie

squeaky clean keeps skin matte keeps skin smooth 10 dollars worth of coalface last about 4 months can be drying bad smell price this by far is my favorite cleanser. it has a mild exfoliant. keeps super oily skin balanced and matte looking. i wouldn't recommend this if you have combination skin strictly for oily people like myself. its also great for body acne. i use in the shower with a loofa.

Comments

-Makes my face feel super clean -Clears up red marks -Dries up existing acne -Gave me 'impacted pores' -Messy I heard great things about this product from a fried,and decided to try it out for myself. Initially,I liked the rich lather and how clean it made my face feel.I also noticed almost an instant imporvement in any red marks and scarring.Some people have said they don't like the licorice smell,but I acctually kind of enjoied it.I also liked that it had super fine exfoliating properties from the charcoal,which really brighted up my complexion. However,a week after using it I started to notice little white bumps all around my chin area..and suprisinly no where else.After doing some research,I found out these are little pimples called 'impacted pores' which are very stuborn to remove and really bad to pick at.I tried steam treatments in an effort to open up the pores enough to remove them,but after 3 weeks of that going nowhere,I gave it up. I really wanted to like this product,because its the best thing I've found that cleans well and helps with my red marks.But because of the small,stubborn breakouts,I probably woulnd't recomend it.

Comments

Gives you that clean feeling, exfoliates your skin, smells like Red Vines (can be a con if you don't like that smell), controls oil production makes your skin feel tight (dry feeling), but when you use a god moisterizer it goes away. I just began using Coalface and I saw a lot of improvement in my face. I have severe acne on my cheeks and have an oily Tzone, but ever since I started using this, I have a less oily face. Even though it's a bit pricey, it's still worth it.

Guest Grace Lee

it got rid of all the oil and cleansed my face. smells kind of gross not so cheap doesnt get rid of acne like the SA claimed its a good face wash. not the best for acne but i do like it. I use i everyday. I have a LOT of acne but i find that this is one of the few soaps i can use. I recommend Fresh Farmacy by LUSH. i feel like its better. I bought 40 dollars (4month supply) worth of this product thinking i couldnt return to the store since its pretty far. :[ I got 20 dollars worth of Fresh Farmacy and i like ti much more. It works on my skin well. I have SUPER SENSITIVE SKIN!

Guest Hannah

Works on my spots and gives a squeeky clean feel which I like. Easy to use and simple to incorporate into daily routine (ie. Use in the shower). Can leave skin feeling a little dry especially if skin is then exposed to harsh weather conditions. At first spots can appear more prominent as skin is detoxing. A reasonably good value (considering how long it lasts for) facial soap that is easy to use. Effective on spot prone skin if used as a long term treatment and must be followed with a moisturiser to prevent dryness and eventual over production of sebum. Price below is in UK pounds sterling per 100g ... i can't do the conversion!

Guest Sadie

I have tough adult acne of the chin, and this soap really works quite well at controlling it; I noticed a reduction in the amount and severity of my breakouts soon after beginning to use this soap. Very impressive! As other reviewers have said, it can be quite drying, so you will need a good water-based moisturizer. The smell is distinctive, but not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Keep the soap dry to prevent it "melting" away! This is a fine, natural product, and I will continue to buy it. Yes, I wish the price were a bit lower, but it beats the heck out of harsh retin-A cream or oral medications, which were my next option. While it won't eliminate all types of acne (everyone's needs are a bit different) I feel it does a good job with mine, and feel much better about my skin. Continue using it in combination with your regular moisturizers, masks and toners and you will have lovely skin.

Guest jesskite

um...the colour is cool. -overdrying -overly harsh -cleans skin but doesn't treat acne I really wanted to like this. But alas, it was too harsh for my skin and just made my already inflamed acne more inflamed. The smell is fairly unpleasant, but I would have put up with that if it cleared me up even a little. oh and FYI...the reviews page on the [link removed] website is filled with glowing reviews for this and other of their products. Well, when I tried to submit a negative review (it was fair & appropriate, basically read like what I just wrote above) they never posted it. Yes, it went through when I hit "submit". Coincidence? I wonder. They have a disclaimer before you submit that says they have the right to pick and choose which reviews to post, basically for whatever criteria they want. Just to let you guys know: be skeptical about the reviews you get from the source that makes the product.

Guest Tuesday

Fast results The soap is obviously dark, and now I constantly have to clean up dark water spots on my counter Within a couple of weeks the pimples on my face started drying up and fading away. I even got the beginnings of a real nasty pre-menstrual breakout and Coalface didn't give it the chance to develop. It even takes off all my make-up!! It definitely is drying, but nothing a good moisturizer can't handle. Personally I follow it up with Lush Tea Tree Water toner. Two thumbs up!!

Guest Maggie

no residue, very simple clean soap which leaves your skin feeling truly clean. it helped the greasiness of my face, but this is no acne treatment. expensive and runs out relatively quickly since it sort of melts with water. you need to buy a tin from lush to keep it in, which is also expensive for an aluminum box. if it were cheaper i would use it regularly. good for those of you who suffer from greasy skin and need a simple solution.

Popular Bar