LoEstrin Oral Contraceptive Reviews

Brand: LoEstrin

LoEstrin Oral Contraceptive

From little acne to a whole lot of acne

Oh my goodness. I’m currently on my 3rd pack of Lo lo and I’m planning on stopping it asap. Pros: No pms symptoms! No bloating, no cramps, no feeling fatigue. 2 days of bleeding or none at all. Didn’t feel any mood swings. All of that is awesome. Cons: This is probably the worst I’ve ever broken out. I got these as samples from my obgyn and I wanted to get the pills for birth control but mostly to help w my acne that I assumed was hormonal (mostly 2 to 3 pimples on my cheeks and a lot of little tiny bumps on my chin. It had to be hormonal because my usual acne products just wasn’t working anymore and Ive switched products many times already). Like most people here, my acne wasn’t terrible to begin with. There was a week or two between the first and second month I was on Lo lo that my skin looked pretty nice. I still had some blemishes but i thought the pill might be working because i was glowing. But not for long!!!! 2 weeks after that I started getting a whole bunch of little and average sized pimples on my cheeks and more bumps on my chin. Way more than Ive ever gotten! They were almost like in clusters or constellations on my face. I didn’t know how to get rid of them and I switched between many cleansers and moisturizers already (i switch them pretty quickly because most of the time i can tell right away if something works for my skin or not) but nothing seemed to be working. And i of course resort to picking and squeezing because sometimes thats the only way to get them out! it looks like i have a rash on my cheek or like how teens break out, and ive never had my face look like this before. It’s not super bad and i can just hide it with makeup a little bit but it’s very annoying because I had close to clear skin before!!!! Definitely steer clear of this if you already have some acne issues..as others have said.

20 years later

I've had acne since I was 11 (face and body). Nothing has ever fully worked 100%, however I decided to try birth control to keep from getting pregnant. My skin never really changed until 4 months in I started to really clear up. I went from taking two showers a day to being able to go camping all weekend with no shower and NOT ONE PIMPLE! I stopped using all my acne skin care products, and actually got to use products that didn't dry, bleach or irritate my skin.

Recommended to NO ONE

I started taking this because of the painful cramps I get once a month. I've only been on it for a little over two weeks, and my typically clear face is now covered in cystic acne that nothing seems to get rid of. I feel tired and just want to spend my days sleeping or resting (even when I get 7-9 hours of sleep at night!), I've gained a few pounds each week, and now I'm getting painful cramps (the reason I even started taking this stuff) weeks before my period is supposed to start. I went online and realized many women are having the exact same symptoms as me! I wish I would have read reviews before just doing what my gynecologist suggested. I do not recommend this to anyone!

So far, so good!

I've had acne for about two years after the birth of my son. I've always had oily skin with clogged pores but as a teen I only ever got one or two spots. As a young adult my skin never gave me any complaints. However, after the birth of my son my skin got quickly worse and worse until I was waking up every morning with 6 or 7 new big lumps around my chin, neck and cheeks. I also had tiny white pimples all over my cheeks and neck. My spots were red aggressive looking- my face was just a mess and people couldn't help but comment because no one was used to seeing me like that. I tried prescribed creams, drinking lots of water, going cold-turkey on makeup, taking antibiotics, hot cloth cleanses... they all made it worse. I tried one or two different contraceptives and they did nothing for me. Some made me bleed constantly, others made my face break out even more around my cycle. I was reluctant to try loestrin as I was beginning to think contraceptives were a waste of time, but it was my last attempt at avoiding roccutane treatment. At first, loestrin made me really sick, for the first few days I was throwing up and had headaches but it soon cleared up. It does make me very tired and has increased my appetite but I'm getting to grips with that. Anyway, after about four months I woke up one morning and realised, for the first time ever, that I didn't have any spots whatsoever. As I ran my fingers over my face there were no lumps or bumps or boils! Today is my fifth day of the same! I've still got scarring and red marks from previous spots but I'm sure I can start to move forward now. I'm already leaving the house without makeup and taking more pride in my skin. I'm really pleased I have given loestrin a chance and hope it continues! Ps- my periods have been very light, I've been a bit more laid back and I think my breasts are bigger!

Comments

thought it wasn't helping, until I switched!

while I am not prone to inflammatory acne, I have lots and lots of closed comedones, clogged pores, etc. I am also very oily. i have 4 childrwn and have been on this pill inbetween each pregnancy. after my last baby, i had my face relatively umder control and went back on the pill. I was using the generic of this for 3 months and my forehead broke out in tiny rashlike pimples that you could only see in certain lighting but felt horrendous. I would also get flare ups of these along my temples and sometimes my cheeks, even though I was using BP. they never became inflamed, but continued to worsen. I have always had this issue but am now thinking it may have been exasperated by the birth control. this birth control pill also makes my hair grow faster. I had no other symptoms on it, my periods were very short and light. also, after doing some research on here, I discovered that loestrin in particular is pretty androgenic and best avoided if one already has issues with breakouts. I'm hoping getting on a different pill will improve things.

update! I switched to a good birth control for acne, ortho cyclen. never again. I broke out all over my nose, my upper lip has this weird rash like thing that I can't get rid off, I started getting painful under the skin bumps, and I turned into a total oil slick. my skin felt so greasy it was like I was sweating. I couldn't take it and am back on this. it also messed with my eyesight. my obgyn had me switch back after a month because he thinks I may be estrogen sensitive. I'm sad it didn't work for me and will be sticking with loestrin from now on.

ZERO Acne, No Mood Swings, Bigger Boobs

I honestly only started taking this birth-control to get rid of acne that I had my whole entire life. I wish I had listened to my doctor and friends sooner. I suffer from acne since high school. NOTHING worked... I went to the best dermatologist in Miami, the best products for use, the best make up etc. I tried Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo and it made me CRAZY. I honestly felt possessed. However, birth control is a hit or miss. You need to try what works best for you as my friends have used Ortho Tri-cyclen and were extremely happy. Anyways, LoEstrin Lo has seriously completely gotten rid of all my acne. I do not break out AT ALL. I do not have Moodswings, and not that I needed, but it does make my breast size fuller also. Getting rid of acne was the only reason I tried birth control, so I am scared to stop taking it for when I try to have more children. I am now 33 years old and have been on this birth-control for three years and I love it!

Comments

Best thing that ever happened to me

I have suffered from acne since middle school and as I got older it got significantly worse. I have tried every topical and oral medication. I have done ACCUTANE TWICE and my acne would resolve and come back 10x worse. I quit all meds and went natural route which helped some but I needed something else. I finally decided to give into birth control. I was first on ortho tri cyclen which helped my face a lot but still had a few breakouts. I had severe migraines so I asked my gyno to switch. She recommended loloestrin FE 28 (not 24) since it had less horomomes. Before I started it I was very nervous because everywhere I read the horrible reviews. But I went with my gut since I had no other option. All I can say is I have not had a clear face like this in years. I dont breakout at all like nothing at all. All my acne is gone all I have are old acne scars that with time are healing. I don't know why this medication works for me but not others. What I can say is that I'm happy I can go out without wearing make up And I'm not embarrassed like I use to be. I don't have acne at all. My face has NEVER EVER been this clear. So give it a chance. This medication has changed my life. I also believe that changing eating habits and lots of fluids helps to. Don't just make it easy and simply rely on medicine.

how long did it take for it to begin working? I've been on it for a month and it seems like it's making my acne worse!
SAME exact story for me! ZERO acne!
Mck45, give it about 3 to 6 months. seems like a long time but if you've been battling acne for years, it really isn't.

horrible acne

bigger boobs no weight gain tired CYSTIC ACNE mood swings ( you learn to control them) low energy levels I am against putting things in your body but since i'm in my child bearing years i do not want any surprises. I asked my gyno for a birth control with very low hormones since i am very sensitive to them, i noticed a few mood swings but nothing major. My boobs normally are a full C but with the the loestrin fe 24 have gotten fuller, now a D cup and i have developed acne. Its been 3 months since ive been on the pill and the acne seems to getting worse! I have always had great skin, the occasional pimple now and then but never suffered from CYSTIC ACNE :(!!!! Also, In the time i have been on this pill i havnt had a period either. I am currently on the sugar pills and will not continue to use this product.

Comments

Bigger boobs Effective contraceptive Light periods Acne Mood swings I've been taking LoEstrin for a little over a year now. Since high school I've always had mild breakouts here and there, but nothing severe at all. I'm going into my third year of college now and I would say my breakouts are the worst they've ever been. They're not horrible, but I've had pretty clear skin most of my life and to have acne now at age 20 is a bit out of the ordinary. The pill does its job for a birth control pill and I have very regular, light periods on it. However, if you're prone to acne, I wouldn't recommend taking this. I am planning to switch to Ortho Tri-cyclen asap.

Comments

none Bad Acne I am 18 and had light acne. My GYN put me on this to help clear the little acne that I had. What a big mistake! Within two months, I started to break out on my chin. I was put on antibiotics which has not helped at all. This is the worst experience I have ever been through. I am seeing the GYN tomorrow and want to get off it,I am so affraid that it will flare up even more. Reading on other people's experiences with Loestrin and only see negative feedback. Don't make the same mistake that I made

Comments

Prevents you from getting pregnant - Causes severe acne after 2 - 3 months of use - causes severe mood swings/depression This is by FAR the WORST birth control EVER!! The first few months were fine until I started getting horrible mood swings, I felt mad/sad for no reason and felt depressed out of nowhere. On top of it, it caused me the worst acne of my life! It was worse than when I was in Highschool! When I first started taking this pill, everything was fine, I even read some bad reviews about it from ppl waring about the acne issues but I just ignored them since I thought they were the "exception". Well I should have listened. Even Antibiotics (Septra) did not help, my face literally looked like a Vulcano and those cystic pimples all around my chin hurt so bad!! I now switched to Necon, it is higher in estrogen (0.035 compared to loestrin at 0.025) and lower in 1st generation progesteron (norethindrone 0.5mg instead of 1mg) and my face is finally starting to clear up. However, I'm 29 years old and my skin does not heal as good as it used to as a teenager so now I have all these ugly acne scars on my face, probably for life! If you are still taking this pill, and had acne problems before, please take my advice and get off of it as soon as possible! It will make your acne ten times worse than it was in your teenage years! Bottom line, this pill makes you depressed and gives you bad acne! Stay away from it!!

Comments

Bigger Boobs Weight Gain(Im tiny) Lightest periods EVER!!! Hungry way too often and I mean you will eat a meal and ten minutes later you will be hungry again. First of all there are many versions of this pill. I tried Loestrin 24FE LO last year and the best part is that your period will only be for about three to four days max. It didnt stop acne completely but it was ok for me to go out without wearing makeup. This year I went on Loestrin 24FE and HORRIBLE. I was spotting all month long and the worst breakout of my life. It was huge hormonal cystic acne especially on my chin. The day I stopped taking the pills was the day I stopped breaking out. It all depends on the person and how much hormones you can take. Remember the more the hormones the more the side effects including more initial breakouts. Acne wise this birth control pill is not the best.

Comments

-no weight gain -no cramps -no mood swings -no nausea (and I have a really weak stomach!) -no headaches -very short periods -sex drive hasn't decreased -spotting for the first few weeks -the worst acne outbreak of my life :( I had a really weak stomach from taking antibiotics a while back due to the breakouts I got from Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, so my gyn prescribed me a lower dose pill, Loestrin 24 fe. I was really surprised at how it felt like I wasn't on a pill at all, as I experienced NONE of the usual side effects for birth control. Suddenly, I started breaking out in horrible cystic acne on my chin and cheeks that was worse than anything I've ever experienced! It's been almost 3 months on this pill and after the first week, I haven't had ONE day of even partially clear skin! I really want to love this pill because I really do feel great (other than my skin), but this is just something I can't handle. I'm going to try to wait it out a little while longer, but I don't have high hopes. I need to be taking birth control and I've been lucky enough to find one that doesn't aggravate my sensitive stomach or make me depressed, so if I don't clear up in the next month, I'm going to start Spironolactone in conjunction with the Loestrin and hope for the best! I'd say that overall the pill is worth a shot because I've had great luck other than the acne, but solely based on my acne experience, I wouldn't recommend it.

Comments

-gets rid of acne -like most oral contraceptives, it makes you feel depressed, sad, tired it gets rid of acne, but has side effects because its a combination birth control pill. it worked for me when i was battling one of the worst break outs i ever had. it got rid of it all in about a month. but i did stop taking it because it made me feel really crappy. So, i'll give this brand a "5" and recommend it because it does work to get rid of acne. but i disliked it b/c because of how it made me feel, but, it might be different for other girls.

Comments

Regulates acne increased breast size easy to take didn't clear acne completely MOOD SWINGS vomiting messed up period cycle WEIGHT GAIN SUGAR/CHOCOLATE CRAVINGS I just finished my second month on BEYAZ and at first my acne got really bad but I figured that was a good sign because that's how most acne fighting pills and creams work. After the first month, my acne really started to lessen a little bit. It was almost clearing until about a week later it was all back and even worse :( Now after the second month is over, I feel it subsiding a little bit. I've suffered from acne since 5th grade and am now a junior in college... I've tried everything!!! Since I really have nothing to lose, I will continue to try this for a few more months to see how it does.. however my doctor switched me to YAZ instead of BEYAZ so I'll be starting that next week... not sure how that will go though. BTW if you have a weak stomach (which i usually don't) DONT take this it will make you so nauseous! i threw up 3-4 times since starting it and have felt nauseous for weeks on end until I got used to it.

Guest pizza face
Guest pizza face

lighter/regulated periods no weight gain effective birth control terrible initial breakout takes a long time to adjust (i essentially had a light period for 3 months straight) deep cystic blood pimples for birth control, loestrin is great for acne, it sucks i had experienced cystic acne before, but not like the acne loestrin has caused me loestrin gives me deep, painful, dime sized blood pimples, and consequently i have crater-like scars too the ones i dont pick shrink down in size but still reside under the surface of my skin i had hopes to grow out of my acne before taking loestrin but now my skin seems ruined for life if you're acne is not that bad, i would recommend loestrin as a bc, but never as an acne cure

Guest Hillary Fay
Guest Hillary Fay

regulated periods periods were short and light less emotional side effects didn't really help with cystic acne worked fine for regular acne I have been on a lot of birth control. For me, I think i broke out more on loestrin 24 fe. Although I did like the relatively non existant side effects of this pill it didn't help as much as other pills did in clearing my acne.

Guest Amy
Guest Amy

Breasts grew 2 day maximum period Stopped cramps No mood swings WORSENED my acne - started with one or two pimples. Now I have the worst acne since I had my first breakout at 16 (20 now). Price - $60.00 I really do love this bc. I was on Ortho-tri which exacerbated my cramps and mood swings. Loestrin is a great regulator, but I can't handle the acne flair up anymore. Goodbye Loestrin! You're the one I love, but it will never work!

Guest rose
Guest rose

acne cleared first 6 months acne came back severly after 7 months no sex drive weight gain!!! LADIES IF YOU HAVE ACNE I SUGGEST YOU SWITCH TO *BEYAZ* iv had acne since i was 12 and i am now 21 and beyaz is really helping, it has spironolactone in it which helps acne so i really recommend it! if you have coverage you shouldnt pay much but if not it runs about $85/amonth..... hope this helps!

Comments

Clear skin lighter periods NO sex drive I have been on and off loestrin for a few months now. Broke out like crazy the first month on it, skin got a bit better for months 2 & 3 but it took me a whole 3 months on this pill to clear up but once I did I stayed clear. Went off of it for 1 month because I lost every bit of sex drive one could possibly have but I'm back on it now because I'd rather have clear skin. This BC is great, just need to give it time.

Comments

shorter/lighter periods terrible breakouts body acne mood swings loss of hair I didn't seem to put on much weight while using Loestrin (boobs did grow though) and my periods were a lot lighter.. HOWEVER, I started getting DEEP, painful pimples along my lower face and acne on my back that I never had before. I had break through bleeding for the first 3 months as well and horrible mood swings (my poor boyfriend & family...). If you want a lighter period, go for it, but I think the cons in my case were too severe to stick with it.. Oh, and if insurance doesn't cover, it's like $40 a month too

Guest Jamie
Guest Jamie

- No weight gain. - Acne got worse. - Fatigued. - Horrible cramps. - 2 week period. I am hoping to change before this pack is up. I do not like it, but it could be good for others since everyone is different.

Comments

Low dose Super light periods Cleared some acne Not strong enough Break through bleeding I tried Loestrin for a year after Ortho, Yasmin, and Depo. It wasn't strong enough for me and I'm only about 5' 90 lbs. I had break through bleeding and more acne than on the stronger pills. I have found that mid-strength like Yasmin is the best, rather than super strong (Ortho) or too weak (Loestrin).

Comments

-Clearned up body acne significantly -no weight gain -loss of cramps/pms -no noticeable side effects -cleared up facial acne a little bit but not enough for me to want to stay on it -major breakouts after stopped using it -high cost probably would work well for light-moderate acne. The cost eventually was too much, i wasnt satisfied enough to keep taking it. Started around 30 dollars a month, and the last few months I was on it it was 50 dollars a month. ridiculous!

Comments

lighter periods, boobs grew a little, no headaches or pain extreme extreme weight gain, tired all the time, sex drive as low as it can get loss of ANY sexual desire. this has made my small frame gain 30 pounds! and yes it does help lighten ur periods but thats alllllllllll it does, i broke out like crazy, and then i stopped taking it and it made it 10x worse!, ive stood on this pill for over 5 months to try and see if i see improvement on skin, wow! i got acne in places i never got, and this def made me a lil crazy, dented my relationship and put my sex drive as low as it can get!!!!! and i took this pill correctly same time everyday and now im suffering skin thats hard to look at! and my face looks like freggin cake batter from trying to hide it!, im going to try a higher estrogen

Popular Oral