Lemon Juice (applied topically) reviews

4.3/5 - 877 reviews

it's been a year indy2003
Reviewed on October 24, 2017

a surprising update on lemon juice um well it helped for a little while with the scars and pigmentation but uhhhh it was to harsh and i had stopped using it,sorry to those that may have started using it because of me im so sorry if i had known that i made and account i would've deleted that one and made sure that you hadn't listened to that idiotic being.

A word of warning
Reviewed on March 20, 2017

Hello everyone! My name is Hannah. I have struggled with acne ever since I was 10 years of age (I'm 17 now). One of the natural remedies I tried over the years was indeed applying lemon juice topically. This is an item that is extremely acidic.. which may help as a spot treatment but (and I truly, from the bottom of my heart caution you) it may not be the best as a full-face mask, so to speak. I learned that lesson at the age of 13 when lemon juice (in reaction with the sun) caused rather serious burns and hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. I advise that you ladies (and gentlemen, of course) with sensitive skin steer clear of this remedy. I personally cleared my acne at the age of 15 with the Acne.org Regimen and the awful hyperpigmentation caused by the lemon juice was fixed with the consistent use of Acne.org's AHA+. I wish all of you well on your acne clearing journeys! Much love.

Simply did not work.
Reviewed on October 2, 2016

I tried it with sugar and honey and it only worsened.

by SophiaLZ on 02/17/2017 04:15
Sugar feeds to the bacteria on your face and can make acne worse. And because of the jagged uneven ways the sugar is shaped, it can be bad for the layer of your skin and cause more acne. If you decide to use lemon on your face, dilute it with water so it isn't as harsh on your face because your skin needs to have a certain ph balance or it can break out from lemon as well. For a while I was only using water to wash my face and I stopped using makeup unless it was a special day/night and it has cleared up a lot but now I'm trying to speed up the healing process from my old acne. I have hyperpigmentation and a lot of the things out there in store has a lot of bad ingredients in it even if it says noncomedogenic. So lemon has been my go to. And if I do have a pimple, I don't mess with it until it has a white head. Then I like it with the tiniest sewing needle and pull the skin outward. And there are foods that can contribute to acne as well. Dairy, sugars, and greasy foods.
NEVER USE LEMON HARSH FOR SKIN
Reviewed on August 3, 2016

Never use lemon on ur face.Dont acidic and will burn ur face.it is harsh.Use stuff such as cucumbers or tomatoes and even watermelon rinds.fresh watery fruits and no acidic fruits.it is wayyyyyy better.

by Star Lord on 08/05/2016 18:15
hey dude I agree that people shouldnt use lemon but dont use words like retarded, its really not okay
by Mirmi88 on 08/27/2016 22:23
Hi I use lemon on my face to fade acne scars and make my pores smaller. It works for me.. And last time I checked I am not retarded ;-)
by innysom on 09/15/2016 18:17
There's nothing wrong with using "retarded" lol. This review is lame though.
by MountainMash on 10/16/2016 22:09
Sorry for my language I just tying to express my review but I hope it helps
Caused huge breakout
Reviewed on December 3, 2015

Got caught by the hype train here and since so many were getting great results with it, I thought that it won't hurt trying. I've had acne since i was 13 (17 now) and about a week ago, i was the clearest i've been in years, no pimples or whiteheads and my marks were lighter then ever. But even tho my marks were lighter, i still wanted to speed up the process of getting rid of them. So I looked around and found this page and read all the positive reviews. Later that day I bought a couple of lemons and started applying on my marks with a q-tip at night. I felt some slight burning which according to the reviews should be good so I countinued doing this every night for 5-6 days. Now, 1 week after I started putting lemon juice on my face, i'm currently experiencing the worst breakout of my life and since I have changed nothing else with my routine which was basically just cleanse my face twice-a-day, the lemon must be the cause.

I would NEVER recommend anyone to try this as while it seems to work for some, it can also f*** your face up.

EDIT: So might aswell edit this one, over 2 months has gone past and im still in the same huge outbreak, its better for sure but nowhere near what it was before that fruit from hell and as a response to the comment below, thanks but no thanks im never putting that on my face ever again, not even for 10000$...

by Badtogoodskinguy on 12/14/2015 21:51
You gotta be careful, you are at that tender teenage age. You should only use this remedy only 2-3 times a week. Trying only leaving the juice on for only about 10-20 minutes only and then rinsing it off. And never forget to moisturize thoroughly afterwards, because the lemon makes your skin dry.
by MountainMash on 08/03/2016 05:31
Don't listen to Badtogoodskinguy.He is really dumb.Clean your face and moisturize ur face so breakouts don't happen .I have acne too on my right face side.dont use lemon or anything acidic because it is harmful.use cucumbers and steam ur face..
no effect on me :(
Reviewed on July 14, 2015

it has been more than 4 times i have been using lemon on my acne and acne scars.. I have not noticed any slight changes.. No fading nothing I know it will take time to heal.. But i should have seen some changes through.. I am using it at night just before going to bed. Same procedure same ingredients: lemon juice and 2 tbs of honey.. But still no effect on me :( Please

by ClassyDollar on 07/16/2015 01:34
Use straight lemon juice from the store and put a lot on your face keep on using it for another week and use daily and if you don't see the a change then you should try something else if you have severe acne then I recommend seeing a dermatologist but make sure before application you wash your face if it burns it's a good thing hope this helps.😊
by Emilly on 07/20/2015 16:07
oh lemon juice.. okay thanks :D
by Dorsorne on 07/30/2015 02:18
Did u buy lemon that was already squeezed in a bottle or do you squeeze the lemon yourself?
by Nikkiiscaramel on 10/01/2015 00:42
Use raw lemon..or 100%lemon juice....most lemon has additives that's take away from lemons detoxification
by SophiaLZ on 02/17/2017 04:22
Honey is a moisturizer so maybe your skin doesn't like that. Try just water and very little lemon and leave it on for a couple of minutes. And no a burning sensation on your face doesn't always necessarily mean it is a good thing. I was just using water to wash my face for a while because if you look up a list of bad ingredients that could be in your face washes and make up even I it says noncomedogenic. There are thousands.
Please DO NOT use lemon juice on your skin
Reviewed on December 9, 2014

Lemon juice has a pH of 2, for comparison, gastric acid (stomach acid) is 1. Skin is happiest at 4.7-5.5. Aside from the stinging, lemon juice will seriously dry skin out in addition to making it photosensitive. Don't use.

by lvcheather on 05/14/2015 07:15
haha are you serious? your an acne product troll, id put my money on you working for big phama
Please do not use this topically!
Reviewed on November 24, 2014

I've been recommended by my mother and even a dermatologist to use raw lemon or lemon juice directly on my face which I've learned from studying the science behind skincare, dermatology journals, and cosmetic chemistry is actually a terrible thing to do to your skin.

It may seem like it may be a good idea because it's cheap, natural, and contains vitamin c. Vitamin c is known to help with hyper pigmentation and similar issues but applying vitamin c topically in the form of lemon juice or other acidic substances like tomato is a bad idea because lemon juice is highly acidic. It has a pH of around 2 whereas the PH of your skin is around 5.5. Prolonged use of highly acidic or highly alkaline substances can damage the acid mantle and moisture barrier of your skin, thus making it difficult for your skin to repair itself on its own and makes it more sensitive since it has been compromised.

I used to use this in a mask with tomato juice and rice flour and it never really did anything to benefit my skin. It damaged my skin to where I was having a lot of inflammatory acne in response to all the irritation it caused (burning, dryness) . I've since been able to repair my skin by using pH balanced products and remedies that are actually safe for use on the skin like honey.

If you're looking for ways to lighten your dark spots or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, better options are Niacinamide, vitamin c serums (you can make these yourself, but have to do a lot of research and make sure you get the pH right for it to be effective while still being safe for skin), licorice root extract, And AHA's like Gycolic acid. It may be less convenient and less cost efficient to buy products formulated with actives that are scientifically proven to be beneficial for skin, but you will see long term results from using well formulated products on your skin than to just desperately rub lemon on your face.

Doesn't help
Reviewed on March 5, 2014

I have very grease acne prone skin and I used lemon juice over night it did not help at all.

Not good for sensitive skin
Reviewed on January 17, 2014

I have relatively sensitive skin ( its not super super sensitive) a lot of products make my skin worse because they are just too harsh. I tried applying lemon juice on my skin, it would burn and my skin would be really red but i stuck with it. By the way I only applied at night as lemon juice can have a bad reaction in the sun. My face was itchy and sore during the time i used it and i noticed little whiteheads appearing. I thought it might just be the bad stuff coming to the surface but i didn't go away. I stopped using it and my skin went back to normal. I suggest drinking it instead in warm water THAT does wonders! Also i suggest really looking into skin ph balance, i didn't balance my skin when using lemon juice ( lemon juice is really acidic and I just used it by itself) that might be why it didn't work for me ?