La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo Reviews

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo

A miracle product

I was in the middle of a bad break out and my twin brother was using this product on his own acne. I had wondered why his pimples would go away so fast and never leave hyper pigmentation or scars at all! When I switched regimens to the Effaclar duo I knew exactly why. After about a month of using it my scars had completely faded and I had little to no bumps. I must warn you that you should use a very small amount of spot treatment (a pea sized amount generally)and rub it gently into your skin completely. Only use it on the areas that are broken out or tend the break out. It also work well on blackheads. I also suggest using it in combination with the Neutrogena hydro-boost moisturizer as it is oil free and noncomedogenic. I use the full regimen twice a day and moisterize only at night. A good way to do it is give it ten minutes between the time you applied the regimen and when you apply the miustetize in order to let the product start working on your face. Also make sure you exfoliate 2-3 times a week. I use the Clinique mild seven day scrub exfoliant.

Different ingredients UK and USA

I was really shocked to see so many negative reviews of this product so I started to look at the ingredients and the UK version has no benzoyl peroxide in it. I think that is why there are so many mixed reviews either saying it is terrible or amazing. For me, it’s amazing, I’m in the UK and use it every day and night with no issues and it has really helped my skin and acne!

Stay well clear!

Zero Stars - my daughter used this for two days and it looked like it had burnt her skin and her spots became so much worse! When I contacted the customer advice I was told it was for over 18s and had I seen a doctor first! There are no warnings on the packaging re age and if I need a prescription to buy this why is it for sale in a mainstream store? I found the comments made not empathetic and my daughter is now refusing to go out anywhere! I cannot stress how awful this product is! Do not use!

NEVER TRY

IT MADE ME CRY FOR 3 DAYS. Terribly terrible. looking for solutions...made my skin super red and it leave marks on my skin. before I used it it was much better. I'm feeling so stupid for using it.

BURNT my face raw

wow this is the worst product I have ever purchased i was recommended it by my doctor as it's reccomendrd by dermatologists and I was reading reviews and found that many others experienced the same pains I have, I used it for the first time and felt a burning on my face, I began to get used to it but then the burning was so bad and I had to remove it, now my face feels raw and burns so badly I'm in so much pain. Never. Buy. This. Product.

Comments

Worst product I’ve ever used on my skin(Effaclar duo plus)

I absolutely hate this product. It was recommended to me by my dermatologist and my skin went from having one or two cysts to cyst-pustule hell in just a couple of days. My cheeks (where I usually breakout) are completely covered with acne (30+ pimples, I'm not even kidding) and the scarring, oh God, the scarring is horrible. I've never had such a horrible reaction to a product like this. I went to look over the ingredients of this thing on cosdna and I found out that it has a bunch of comedogenic ingredients. My skin has never looked this bad before. I'm so depressed.

Comments

Made my skin the worst it's ever been ( Effaclar Duo Plus, UK version)

I originally purchased this product to get rid of 2 pie (post inflammatory erythema) marks that have been left over from cysts. Well, I used this product for 2 weeks (day and night after cleansing) and about 4-5 days in my skin developed a lot of pustules (about 30+), my chin turned red and itchy (BTW, only my chin, where I usually break out, was effected). NOW, I've read the nonsense of skin purging , that things get worse before they get better, but that's not true. If any product ever hurts your skin or makes it red, stop it right then and there. I contacted La Roche Posay and they told me to immediately stop the product. I'll probably never find out what ingredient caused the outbreak (maybe the BHA or parfume???), but now I have to deal for weeks or even months to get my old skin back. I only had 2 spots and now I have to deal with 30 spots and scars. Avoid this harsh product at all costs.

Aweful Product Gave me Scars!! :(

I would give this product no stars if i could. After use of their kit, my face has been dry, burning, and itching for over a week. I purchased after misleading packaging, saying it was suitable for sensitive skin types. I have tried every remedy to no avail. Now there are scars appearing on my face. I have been trying to go without washing to see if my skin will regain its natural moisture and barrier. I can still feel my skin getting torn. Stay away if you have sensitive skin or definitely patch test. This product has caused the worse and most painful experience of my life! It hurts to look in the mirror and i severely regret this experience. Your face is your identity, protect it from harsh products as these if you are the sensitive type!

Looking at the ingredients I can only imagine; 5%bp, salicylic Acid and Alcohol!!!! wow
I'm in the same boat as you. How is your skin now, after stopping the products? I'm trying to only wash my face with cold water and use a bit of apple cider vinegar, as this has helped in the past. What an awful product Effaclar Duo is :(
They refunded the 30 dollars, but even that wasn't enough to repair the damage and suffering this product has caused me. I have indented scars, where I had none before. It has been 3 weeks now, the only thing I can use on my face is water and a cetaphil cleanser, any thing else pretty much seems to aggravate and inflame my skin. Horrible product from hell. They really should not advertise to sensitive skin types. I wouldn't have purchased, if it wasn't for that label. If anything, this made me more knowledgeable.

don't risk it

i NEVER write reviews. but i had to for this cause i've never had my face look like this before... i had this product for awhile now (stopped using for months but forgot why) and since i started breaking out, i decided to give this another try. worst mistake ever. my face is inflamed red, only on the certain areas i applied it. also have a bunch of tiny little whiteheads around it too :( i guess it's too harsh for my skin type. patch test it first!

Comments

Chemical burn on my face.

I used this product once and i felt burning but i was like 'hey its probably nothing just working' so i tried to deal with it.. after 5 min of applying i couldnt stand it and went to my mirror and my face was red!!! So i took it off and put aloe on my face... even touching my face felt like torture so i went to my doctor.. she told me i have 1st degree chemical burs on my f**king face. My skin is peeling and hurts .. dont . Try. This. Product.

Didn't work for me

I used this product along with the face wash that is suppose to match with it. After day one I had a horrible breakout and so I assumed it was just the beginning and I would have clear skin after. However my spots only got worse on my forehead and my chin for 3 months. Whenever I applied the cream my spots would burn and i thought it meant that they were working but my skin never cleared. I stopped using the product and only after a week there was a massive change and my skin was clearer but still spotty. If anyone knows any working products please tell me. I've had so many spots for so many years it has definetly lowered my self confidence.

Love it

After trying many other products, this is the only thing that has helped. When I hit 21, I started breaking out horribly on my jaw, chin, and around my check bones. I kept with their acne treatment for a month and have had amazing results. I use it twice daily. It took a couple weeks for me to get a regimen down, but now that I do, it works wonders. I also use Curel for moisturizing after since this stuff does dry out your skin pretty fast without it.

Comments

Confused - everything turned red!

I used this for a night as per my Doc's recommendation and it seems to have turned all my pimples deep red. Having read all the positive reviews, I decided to persevere and continue using for another night - now they've turned slight brown. Should i continue using the product?

Amazing!!

This is incredible- 12 years of cystic hormonal acne, tried everything ... Clear within 2 weeks of using this with dove soap. 6 weeks later not a pimple in sight not even with my period. So thankful I found fhis.

Comments

Would give it 5/5, but...

unfortunately the price tag dropped it a star. That is really the only thing bad I have to say about this product. I have been using Dan's Regimen for... oh jeez, almost 7 years now? Anyway, the Regimen is the only thing that has ever truly worked for me. However, recently I have been having acne problems again, not totally sure why (too many variables to narrow it down). I bought this because I noticed that it had a slightly higher concentration of BP than my normal acne.org stuff, and it also had some LHA for exfoliation. I am glad that I bought it, because it seems to be the extra kick my face needed to start purging itself of the cysts lurking beneath my skin. I still have teeny tiny whiteheads on my forehead, but I think nothing short of an act of God will make those go away. I only use it once a day, as it makes my skin sensitive and I don't want to overdo it. My facewash is neutrogena ultra gentle hydrating cleanser, creamy formula. My moisturizer is acne.org moisturiser, and after that is finished soaking in, I apply a layer of neutrogena deep moisture night cream to pack it in. Once a week I use a korean face mask for extra moisture. I have severely dry skin, and this Effaclar Duo (original version, not plus) (U.S. version) did not seem to make it any worse than usual. Of course, I have been using BP for years, so keep that in mind.

Effective

This spot treatment is effective. I did notice a small amount of peeling/reddness though so be mindful with how much you apply and how ofter you use it. It's not a "miracle cure" for me though.... the only miracle cure is spironolactone :)

Comments

It works when nothing else does!!!

This was the absolute best find for me! my face was clear within 3 weeks! I use it faithfully in the morning and at night! It's worth the money!

Comments

Excellent product V impressed!!! TRY THIS!

I've tried loads and loads of methods. Dan's regimen worked for me, but also destroyed my skin a bit, and made all my clothes bleached. It also didn't work 100%. Nevertheless, I've stuck with the regimen for about 7 years because it's been the only thing that more or less works. Just been using this (the UK version without BP) with a little bit of Dan's BP underneath and it's worked wonders. PLEASE DO TRY THIS! (I'm 1 33 year old male btw., without very bad acne, but bad enough to get white pustules relatively frequently if only on Dan's regimen). I'm so happy I've found this. In a month or so I'm going to try to stop BP entirely and see if this works on its own. Really praying it does. Will report back. Top product 5 star!!!

Don't Waste your Money

I've never found 1 single over the counter product that works... not even this 1. I use to have terrible acne, but then I started something called Erythromycin-Benzoyl Peroxide Topical Gel. 3 days later, my face was completely clear. I did purge during the 1st 24 hours (purge = got worse initially.) I pay 15$ every 3 months on my copay for insurance & I went to my primary care physician. You can go to the dermatologist, but they're a lot more expensive. Insurance treats a specialist different & they get to charge you a lot more. Anyways, my advice is don't waste your money on OTC products. Start off with your doctor to begin with. You'll save so much money in the long run.

Guest Anonymous
Guest Anonymous

Don't waste your $

I've never found 1 single over the counter product that works. I use to have terrible acne, but then I started something called Erythromycin-Benzoyl Peroxide Topical Gel. I pay 15$ every 3 months on my copay for insurance & I went to my primary care physician. You can go to the dermatologist, but they're a lot more expensive. Insurance treats a specialist different & they get to charge you a lot more. Anyways, my advice is don't waste your money on OTC products. Start off with your doctor to begin with. You'll save so much money in the long run.

Comments

Can't imagine my day without it

It is my favorite product from the whole line and I use it twice a day as my daily cream, thus under I put some moisturizing day cream for acne prone skin (previously Rev Acnosal, Effaclar H and now trying out Pergam Acnell) as I find it too light to keep my skin moisturized enough, especially in winter or when using topical skin treatments. It keeps my oils under control. Specifically noticed when sometimes due to my laziness after washing my face/having shower I haven't put this cream immediately on, within an hour my T zone becomes oily like a pancake. Also once while traveling I was in a country where they do not sell LRP products at all (and I didn't know that) and I ran out of my Effaclar Duo - you can't imagine how horrible my skin became just in one week without the cream! Due to overproducing the oils my pores became clogged and I got pimples everywhere - even where I usually haven't got! And I kept all the rest of my routine the same. I should note down I like the new Duo plus version better than the old Effaclar Duo, as it lightens the redness on my cheeks (sensitive skin) and acne scars. After one year of using it my old scars on the forehead and cheeks have become almost invisible, on the chin not so much but only because my acne isn't cured and pimples and cysts keep popping up there (hormonal imbalance). I give only 4 stars because it doesn't moisturize enough for my personal preferences. Otherwise it would be 5.

unfortunately does not help

I was using this more or less 3 months and I didn't saw any progress. Do not put too much hope in this product. I think this is not for real acne problem, maybe just for skin with few pimples.

My face got worst

I did tons of research on this product before I used it and i was super excited to try it so I purchased it at target because I didn't want to wait for shipping. I took daily pics of my face and my face for 5 days has gotten worst I went from minor pimples on my forehead to numerous cyst like bumps on my cheeks and along my jaw bone. I am very disappointed...

If you have more severe acne, the product may be making your face "purge." Acne that lies under the skin doesn't heal itself over the course of a few days. A good acne treatment can make skin better before it gets worse. I would stick with it, as long as it isn't causing an allergic reaction. Even the best skin care needs time to work.

good for cystic acne on my cheeks.

After some months with a medium-bad cystic acne on my cheeks. this product really help me a lot, since the first day i applied it some of the rednees diminsh, after three weeks the big cystics are desinflamted. Now i have been using for more than a month togheter with the product of the same, an eventhoug im stilla having some acne, by sure my skin is getting better. Im using the effaclar Duo +

Comments

It is not the way you look, it is how you are going to look.

For many years I suffered with acne, now I am acne free, because I discovered one secret, that need to share with any or everyone who want to be free from their acne. Well it is the power to believe that whatever product I am going to use, whatever the choice it is will work. I understand that every skin type and mindset is different, every product and component is different. From the very start, I did not worry about the way I look, I started to believe about the way I am going to look after I apply the medication and it worked.

Its entirely chemical and scientific. Certain stress hormones can cause acne so feeling good about it is great and will impede those but this theory is absolute stupidity.

Popular All-over treatments