Isotrexin Erythromycin (2%) and Tretinoin (.05%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Isotrexin

Isotrexin Erythromycin (2%) and Tretinoin (.05%) Gel

horrible!!

used this after panoxyl face wash being discontinued- its the worse thing ever- applied only at night it coats your skin with a plastic layer and makes it so tight its impossible to move your face. I feel because of its gel-like consistency it never really soaks in it just sits on your skin? not nice! would not reccomend!

Awful !

Been using this gel for nearly 3 month, due to a manafacturing problem with duac gel i had now been perscribed this gel , didnt have many spots before hand and orginally only got bad spots on my chin area, after using this gel my skin became extremely red and especially my chin and although the spots i have arnt painful as they once were they are now all over my face ! I have had to stop with this gel completely due to my chin being extremely red, dry to the point its so tight it hurt when i move my mouth in a large way, stopped thus gel for around 5 days and bought some E45 which seems to be slowly taking the stubbord dryness away. After reading many good reviews i was still skeptical to start it but i did start it and cannot say how much i regret this, anyone waring of starting this gel i reccomnded you not to as my experience as a 15 year old girl who once only got larger spots at that time of the month now has them all over her face, and a very painful, dry skin complexion All in all i would not reccomend starting this gel i once had spots only on my chin and rarely anywere else and now my chin and cheeks are very inflammed, hopefully i can now try to recover my skin

Isotrexin gel should not be used in Areas of skin affected by eczema. Sunburnt skin. Acne rosacea. Inflammatory rash around the mouth (perioral dermatitis). Women who are pregnant or trying to conceive. Breastfeeding. So be careful guys
Where to buy this gel? Please share.

Best retinoid for me

Out of all the topical retinoids offered to me through my 12 years with acne this has been the most effective. My acne is extremely resistant to treatment and I've been on Accutane twice but this kept it at manageable levels. If starting out with this, only use it a few nights a week. It's drying and irritating. Each time I've gone back to using it I've had an extreme initial breakout / purge which is so difficult to deal with but overall it's my favourite topical I go back to again and again.

Hi, I am 21 male. My doctor prescribed me Isotrexin. I have been using it for two months now. Can you tell me how long does it take before the medication actually starts working? Furthermore, how good is this medicine when it comes to dealing with scars. Thank you.
Please advise where to buy isotrexin gel?

It's definitely worth sticking it out!

I began having bad ance break outs on my forehead and chin about a year ago, after about 6 months I'd had enough and headed to the doctors, that's when he prescribed me with isotrexin gel. For the first 4-5 weeks my ance got a lot worse! I was having a lot more break outs and my skin was left very sore and dry. After reading lots of reviews I decided to stick it out. I've now been using it for several months and my skin is perfect!! I never have break outs and my scars are fading! I was using it everyday to begin with but I've not cut down to every other day and that works perfect for me. I would really recommend isotrexin! It gets worse before it gets better but it's definitely worth sticking it out!!

May I ask where do you buy the isotrexin gel?

Solution for me

Suffered from moderate acne since teens. Various contraceptive pills, topical treatments (Duac, Differin), and one course of antibiotics only partially helped. Following a recent breakout I decided to tackle it from all angles, and I think Isotrexin was the key. Also went back on a combined oral contraceptive and took 5-month course of oxytetracycline. Skin cleared up after around 2 months. Having finished the course of oral antibiotics 2 moths ago, skin is still basically spot-free, better than it ever has been. Initially drying but quickly skin gets used to it. I only apply a very thin layer, once daily, at night.

Please advise where to buy the isotrexin gel.

2 weeks in

I am a 26 year old female suffering from mild normal acne on my chin and jawline area. I have always had clear skin up until a year ago when I started getting breakouts around my mouth and chin. In the last year I've tried benzoyl peroxide gel which didn't do anything other than make my skin red and sore and flakey. I then tried a topical liquid antibiotic to apply to the affected area ( I can't remember the name of it). This also didn't work. I then tried lymecycline and took these antibiotics for 3 months - leaving me with clear skin. The doctor wanted me to stop taking them due to effects on my liver. After just a few weeks of stopping them my spots came back. I went to see a dermatologist and was prescribed isotrexin. I've been told to put a thin layer of the gel over the affected areas at night time after washing my face but before moisturising, so that the product can sink in. I don't find this product sore or difficult to use. I don't feel any stinging when putting it on like other reviews mention. It dries and goes a little crusty. I have however (like all the reviews say) had a big breakout. I've gone from just a couple of manageable spots to several at once which I find difficult to hide with make up. I've been using the gel for two weeks and my skin has definitely got worse. My dermatologist has told me to use it for two months then to go back and see him to review the progress. I will persevere with it until then. Interestingly he also told me the best face moisturiser to use was aqueous cream which you can buy in huge tubs for only a few pounds. I s water based and oil free and fragrance free etc. I will add another review once I am at the end no of my two months to let you know how it goes.

Please do let me know what happens next. I only applied it for a week now, and my acne got worst too. It gets me sick.
same !!!!! can you also detail if you are sleeping with the gel on only or if you're waiting for it to dry then adding moisturiser over the top while you sleep?
Please share where to get this gel? Which clinic to buy? Thanks.

Make sure you stick it out!

Since I hit my twenties (2 years ago) I have been battling with my skin, something I never thought I would be worrying about having normal skin throughout my teens! I have tried different anti biotics, the pill, etc and all of them only offer a short term fix. I would say my acne is moderate which can verge on severe after a flare up but the scars/hyperpigmentation which it leaves behind makes me the most self conscious. I went to the doctors about a month ago after a really bad flare up and she gave me a combination on isotrex gel, lymecycline and the pill. So far it has got better than it was and I've gone from about 12 active spots down to about 2. All the reviews are right, it does break you out so bad the first couple of weeks but if you persevere it does get better! When I apply it it kind of stings and makes my eyes water but within seconds that passes, it also does leave a residue of your face in the morning due to the peeling effect but this can easily be washed off. It does dry out your skin, but so do many acne cream/gels! After a super bad break out I am finally seeing my skin sort it's self out! I am currently using this before bed after cleansing my face, then using an exfoliator (St ives apricot scrub) some mornings, effeclar duo and lymecycline and the pill. I am going to carry on with this product for another 4 weeks and see if my skin improves further but so far so good (after the initial breakout) Hope this helps! :)

scrubbing particles can remove your skin's protective outer layer and make acne worse! My dermatologist has told me. only use Isotrexin in the night and effecter duo+ in the daytime that all.

patience required

For this to have any positive outcome you need patience. If you don't have patience then don't bother using it. It will take longer if you have severe acne. I have moderate Anne around the frame of my face inc. Jawline and forehead line plus around the sides of my chin and upper lip. I've been using it for 3 weeks and i can see that my pores are opening up and blackheads coming out more easily. Whiteheads also are coming to the forefront and ironically im also left with a radiant glow. The idea of this gel is to draw out impurities and that's what it does hence the increase in spots at first. The erythromycin is the anti bacterial element which fights the bacteria from living and attacking the sub glands. Small cysts have cleared in a week. I am still getting new smaller spots but i know the gel is drawing out the bugs that having been sitting under my skin. Persevere for minimum 3 months at least before you decide to give up. Good luck

fms
im using Isotretinion & Erythromycin and completed my first week.. my acne is dry now.. but m having dark spots where i applied the cream.. is it acne burn? what did you experience in first week of this gel?
Fms, begin using moisturizer my face become so dry it was painful to move and extremely tight

Pain pain pain.

Ok so most of you might not agree with my results or time period using this product but for me it hasn't done any favours. I have NEVER sufferd with acne as bad this year as I have in the past. A few years a ago I got prescribed "lymacycline" and it did the trick to clear up (or so I think) but this month when I started to develop different signs and more spots than usual I went to the docters for something stronger and he prescribed me this gel "isotrexin". After reading reviews and not finding many good ones I was willing to give it a go and hope that it would work for me. He did specify that it might take a few weeks to work and now I'm three weeks in I refuse to use this gel anymore. After reading reviews I took into consideration that my skin may get worse before it for better, skeptical about using it I had a go for the benefit of my face. However, it has made my face red, sore, dry and uncomfortable. The skin doesn't look healthy and looks inflammed and irritated. I have tried to put moisturiser on to stop the flakiness/dry patches under my makeup but my skin would flake and you can still see the scars. Each day I would wake up with a new painful spot or even a boil under the skin. No matter how much makeup I tried to use it didn't cover or help the situation. I might not have given it long enough to work but during the 3weeks I used it I was in constant pain and discomfort hence why I decided to stop. Everyone is different and will react in different ways. At the moment I'm back using my dermologica products and staying clear of any gels or creams prescribed medically. I hope this don't put you off using it if you do have it, I was just expressing my time whilst using it. Please feel free to ask me any questions x Charlotte 21 :)

I experienced the same as you. However i used i first started using it October 2015-january 2016 and at first it made my skin dry and cleared my face a little bit. After 8weeks i decided to stop using it amd my acne came back much worse. I started using it again last month and have only been using it for 6.5 weeks and my skin is clear now and my acne scars are starting to fade. But when trying for the second time i had worse reactions. My skin burnt like i had been in the sun for too long and went bright red. But after using it for a few weeks the symptoms went and now its all clear.

Might work in the long run

I had mild to moderate acne but combination of bad life conditions and habits made it worse. I'm now suffering from moderate to severe acne. I gained weight and I was already prone to pcos. Now I'm diogonised with pcos and I started to take birth control pills. I'm not sure if it's the isotrexin or the pills but my skin is really clearing up. When I first started to use isotrexin, it didn't seem to be working. After 1-2 weeks my skin got worse. I started to have some gigantic pimples that I had rarely had before. I was so upset and I regretted starting the medication. However, after reading some reviews which say it's quite normal at the beginning, I decided to give it a go. Now it's been 3 or 4 weeks since I started to use isotrexin and I can say that there is a dramatic change in terms of acne. All the big, inflamed pimples have become smaller and it is really hard to notice them since they are beneath my skin, not close to the surface. It didn't cause so much irritation. I mean yeah it irritated somehow but it's a quite common symptom in acne topicals. There is only one downside which is the cleaning process. It takes so much time to get rid of the layer it leaves on your skin. I use a face wash called TTO and a lot of water, yet it takes almost 20 minutes to get rid of the gel on my face in the morning. Maybe I should also use a make-up cleaner for that. In conclusion it is really a good topical gel even for severe acne but you must be patient. You will probably breakout more first but it's temporary. Don't forget to apply it only on the legions and it should be a thin layer. I hope this will work for you and you will have the clear skin you are yearning for. Don't make it a big deal though. If you get obsessed with your acne, it only gets worse.

50/50

I've been using this for 3 weeks. My skin was mild acne beforehand, both on my face and my back. After a week of use, my face broke out terribly. Then, my forehead cleared up nicely, and my nose is ok. However, my chin and cheeks are awful! I've become so depressed and it keeps getting worse. I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to stop using it in case it eventually works, but all it's doing is making my skin break out worse. My back has cleared up very well though and I feel more comfortable in bikinis/backless tops etc.

Mine was the same! Had 4 weeks of horrendous acne but it did then clear up and stay clear :-)

No initial breakout for me :)

Tried everything from the doctors, BP makes me red and skin flake off so impossible to wear makeup! I use this with a combination of the pill (Yasmin) and Saw Palmetto pills from Holland Barratt. I cleanse with Quinoderm dual action antibacterial facewash which is key to killing the bacteria that causes acne, it's gentle too. Isotrexin, been using it around 3.5 weeks and i haven't had any "initial nasty breakout" at all, i don't get hardly any redness. I'm also having a course of salicylic acid peels from the Sk:n Clinic which is so far working very well! I much use topical roaccutane than take the internal pills, i feel this is much safer for the body :) Thumbs up for Isotrexin, give it a try, it's the strongest topical the doctor can prescribe you before dermatologist referral! :) Good Luck x

amazing

clears hormonal whiteheads and blackheads Skin is sooooo smooth Not drying after you get through first month it's great! Breakout like crazy within the first month Im 27 and tried everything....so I never thought a topical would work for me my the birth control pill helped a lot but I wasn't 100% clear like I am now! My acne is hormonal and around chin and jawline. Many whiteheads,blackheads and I wouldn't say cysts but ones that are under the skin bit painful and take a week to go down. I started Isotrex 0.5 on the 16th December and let me tell you I broke out very bad the first 2 weeks I didn't really suffer from really bad dryness and redness it was dry and red but not bad where I couldn't wear make up I could, but yes after 6 hours it looked a lil flakey but only close up. I would normally have a few spots right but now I have zero!!!! None!!! I have a few red marks but they will go in a few months and I have a few lil proper scars which I've heard dermaroller is good for! Point is stick with this product it gets worse before it gets better and I stayed in over Xmas and New Years :( but I'm so happy!! I even stopped taking spironolactone I was prescribed this and spiro not been taking the spiro for 2 weeks going to see how it goes I may not need it at all I really think all I need is this topical! Just make sure you use this every night once your skin gets use to it and you will be fine i missed a few nights and whiteheads crept back again so don't be lazy! I did use this every second or third night the first week but for some reason my skin could take it and I thought I'm just gonna bear it and use it every night and I do not regret it! It's get out every single thing you have underneath! Try it give it at least 12 weeks and you will be so happy!!!! You will be miserable the first month..but it does get better I will use this forever..until I want to get pregnant lol!

Great review. Like yourself I started this medication just before xmas. It stopped me from going out over New Years Eve because my skin was so bad. I've tried every topical and medication under the sun I'm just gonna stick this one out and pray for some results , thanks

Isotrexin

cleared up skin very well after a few weeks left skin quite smooth painful to apply leaves a residue when first used acne increases greatly Ok so I have mild acne, almost verging on severe. When I first started with this product, it made my skin go very red and my acne doubled. This was really hard because I didn't want people to see my skin like this. However, after reading other reviews I decided to keep using it and after a few weeks it started to really work. When applying it though, it had a very painful acid-like sting, and I could not stretch my face because the product would crack. It also left a peeling residue when I woke up in the morning but this can be easily washed off with a cleanser. Had a very strong smell as well.

Comments

tomorrow my dctr prescribed isotrexin.. i have mild acne . aftr applying once my skin got red and black patches apeard on the skin .. skin got so much dry stinging and itchy.... please help me i should countinue with it or not . need a instant reply thanks

:( cant Say anything till i hope for a solution.. need help

Comments

Starts to work after first 4/5weeks Doesn't dry out skin leaves face smooth Skin breaks out for first few weeks (purges) Must use at night as leaves white film on face It sucked when you start this, it makes your skin break out so bad which is so upsetting, and makes you feel like it isn't working and making it worse, but stick it out then after a while it will start to calm down. Its been 5 weeks and my acne has lessen by atleast 50%, the scarring from the initial breakout is still here but hoping it will clear up soon. alot of reviews say it dries out skin, but my skin is so oily is hasn't done anything like that or caused irritation, hoping for it to improve my skin more after being on it 8 weeks

Guest Haris
Guest Haris

Makes your skin smoother, clear looking. Gives a clean less oily matte look to your skin. Reduces acne mark's visibility. Prevents acne. None so far. It leaves a peel-off effect but it doesn't bothers me much. The product is just amazing! It has made my skin so much better in just a week. I'm using a face wash and another gel for the day as recommended by my skin specialist but this product is a must to try if you're suffering from acne. - Haris.

Guest sarcasticPlastic
Guest sarcasticPlastic

- Simple to use & apply - Absorbs quickly into the skin - Strong ethanol smell - You have to protect the treated skin from prolonged sunlight - 'Peely'-effect I have moderate to severe acne and have deep scarring which isn't helped by me picking at my scabs. I have tried *numerous* products since my teens, such as Freederm, Duac, Clearasil, Garnier, Neutrogena etc etc, with no discernible benefit. I went to the doctor and was prescribed Isotrexin as well as an oral antibiotic.I've been using the Isotrexin for a month now and I think it's starting to work. My skin appears less bumpy and the acne scarring is slightly less noticeable. The only downsides I have with this product is that after a few minutes/hours, my skin looks flakey and you can see where I've applied the gel (I have dark skin). However, my doctor has said this is just the gel peeling back the layers of skin to get to the fresh stuff underneath, and it's doing a good job!

Comments

Clears up acne very well Leaves you with perfect, smooth skin If you put it on a big spot before you go to sleep, the spot will be considerably less inflamed the next morning. Takes at least eight weeks to see proper results, but it DOES work Dries out skin if you use too much. Bottom line, this product is a miracle drug! Its leaves my.skin looking smooth, bumpless, glowy and gorgeousely matte,i would recommend anyone with.mild to moderate acneto try it. I suffer with blackheads, whitwheads, pimples, milia and cysts and after six months ofthis people are always complimenting how lovely my skin is! Please try it! I admit that it may.dry skin out if one is to use too much, but persevere with it because its simply a matter of gettinf the doseage right. This is what i do: instead of covering my whiöe face with isotrex everynight, i spread a little on je problem areas, and i always moisturise beforehand. I use it five times a week. It works for my problrm skin so chances are, itll work for u!

Comments

skin less oily, even though i have only been using this for four days! Drying up spots pushes out whiteheads spots that are coming are not that inflamed! only use a little bit or ur skin will get dry hi! I was prescribed with this treatment after i startedto break out a little bit after 6 months of roaccutane. My breakouts were pretty mild but they wer really stressing me out, so, i have been using this for 4 days and my skin is significantly lesr oily and a few whiteheads are popping out. Also, my inflamed acne is drying up and the spots that are coming througg now are smaller and less inflamed. I would recommend this products for pppl with mild to moderate acne! Its better than panoxyl

Comments

it really works! 1.it takes a long time to see the results 2. at first it tends to get worse and it is quite hard to stick with it especially for the desquamation side effects so, indeed it really works( at least for me)...but it takes time and patience (like most of us mentioned)...and it's hard when you see at first noo results and after a month still no results and you kind of start to doubt...personally i saw the first results in like 6 weeks and more than 2 months for the greatest results i've had with any other product!

Comments

reduces redness and inflammation occasional burning & flakiness This product is VERY similar to PanOxyl. I have oily areas on my skin and since using the gel it has become relatively dry. My advice from personal use of a year now is to: Appy only at NIGHT Use a cotton bud (quetip) with a tiny amount on Apply ONLY to acne area or specific spot Let dry for roughly 30sec Apply a moisturiser on top (I use sudocrem) Sometimes I don't even use it everyday, every couple of days is good enough as it can tend to get quite dry and sore otherwise. I also use Bio-Oil on occasion to help the scaring. Hope this helps!!!

Popular Topical