Page 3 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2099 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Scary side effects
Reviewed on March 20, 2017

I had been working with my dermatologist for nearly two years when she suggested I take Accutane to combat my persistent acne. I am a woman, (a young woman at the time) so I was given two large packets of warnings and agreements, contracts practically stating that I understood the risks I was going to be facing etc, etc (these contracts I had to sign). It was vital for my doctor to know that pregnancy while on this medication was absolutely unlikely and I was put on birth control and (would have been) required to take monthly urine and/or blood tests to prove that I was not pregnant (and that my liver was not failing me). I did more research, very in-depth research, a few weeks before I was due to start taking Accutane. I read that Accutane was originally introduced some years ago as a cancer drug but was a failed cause. Now, whether this is completely true or not.. it scared the life out of me. Reading the side effects listed in the packets given to me also made me feel as though risking my health was NOT worth it. So I decided not to go forth with the treatment. Luckily I found the Acne.org Regimen and my skin is completely blemish-free because of that. I strongly recommend exhausting all of your options before considering Accutane, especially if you are a (romantically active) girl or woman. In my personal opinion, a drug so harmful that it can cause absolutely horrific birth defects is a drug not taking a chance with. Be wise in your choices please and think about it thoroughly! Best wishes! :)

i didn't complete treatment
Reviewed on March 16, 2017

I used it for 2 months but didn't complete the dose because I traveled and couldn't get supply. I've been off accutane for almost 2 months. Can I continue with the dose or I'll have to start all over? My acne was clearing but it seem to be coming back

good but it makes me dependence
Reviewed on March 10, 2017

I have used this for three monts and I ide 20mg for each day but im stopping cause I feel ITS enough but after 2 monts I got my acne back but only small acne

Changed my life
Reviewed on March 10, 2017

Accutane is like a miracle medication, it does what no other generic, over-advertised, over-the-counter treatment can do. If you at a point in life where your acne is absolutely unbareable, choose accutane, IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

Best decision but be prepared for side effects
Reviewed on March 5, 2017

I had acne for for 5 years and nothing would get rid of it I tried other medications until my doctor referred me to have accutane. It was tough and I did have many side effects such as dry lips, eczema and I was tired constantly and found playing sport difficult as my muscles ached. My acne did clear up though and I've been off it for 3 years now and haven't had a major breakout since but I still have acne scarring which I'm now looking at getting rid off. It really is a miracle drug and I would recommend weighting up the positives and negatives of the side effects before taking it. My acne made me depressed and since getting rid of it I've felt my confident in myself. However since taking the tablets on tests my liver has been damaged as a result and I find myself still years later having less engery and muscle aches than I did before taking them. Overall I'm glad I took them.

Unexpected comeback
Reviewed on February 15, 2017

I started breaking out ever since puberty hit me. As far as I can remember, I started getting light to mild acne during my tenth standard. I didn't resort to any medication as such, but I simply started a course of some antibiotic that my father had advised to me. The results were okayish, since the severity of my acne did alleviate but they again came back after a few weeks. My skin remained clear for quite a while after that. I was in my twelth standard when these monstrous zits made their came back in my life leaving me uncertain about my appearance and confidence. I sought medical advice from a reputed skin doctor, but didn't see a considerable change in my skin. I changed doctors only to face disappointment and despair. Acne started taking its emotional toll on me. I started wearing tons of make up which invited mockery from my classmates. Every second aunty would give me a piece of her unsolicited advice just to make me feel worse about my skin and appearance. After a few months, I resorted to Accutane with great hope and expectations. Thank to Accutane, I wasn't let down this time. It's been a while since I have a clear skin, but since last week, these stubborn zits have been attacking my face at different spots. I am really depressed and worried about my skin... I feel really low when I see my cheeks covered with pimples.

Best Decision Ever!
Reviewed on February 11, 2017

I really wanted to leave a positive review as I had read so many negative side effects, I almost didn't go on it at all. To date, I have been off of Accutane for 6 months now (I was taking it for 8 months). My skin is still amazing (occasional spots, but no more cystic or problematic acne). I spent around two years debating whether or not to go on Accutane and read horror stories online that deterred me for ages. When I first saw my dermatologist (who recommended it right away) I expressed my concerns and told her I want to try other methods first. After trying out some other topical creams and medications for about six months and not seeing any results, I agreed to meet with my doctor just to discuss it. I had a lot of questions and below is how she answered them for me. Obviously I am not a doctor so you should do your own research and seek your own medical advice. This is just what my dermatologist said to me:

One of the major side effects I read about was extreme dry skin.

My doctor's opinion: She did confirm this and told me that my face and lips would definitely dry out but she was able to provide me with sample size lip balms and moisturizers to keep me hydrated.

My experience: My skin was soooooo dry. Especially as I was first transitioning onto the medication. I literally had to take all of my makeup off at lunchtime (some days) and exfoliate, and moisturize my whole entire face and re-apply my makeup because if not, my chin would be visibly peeling like crazy before the end of the day. This did massively subside as my body adjusted but I had to use very strong lip balms all throughout my treatment (multiple times per day) otherwise, the sides would crack and scab. This was the one negative side effect I experienced but it was 100% tolerable and worth the end results

After Accutane: My skin completely returned to a normal balanced complexion within only a few weeks of terminating Accutane and is never dry anymore.

Depression (I had read a lot about people becoming severely depressed, and in extreme cases committing suicide)

My doctor's opinion: My doctor told me that there is no proof linking Accutane to depression. She said there was a very famous case of a boy committing suicide while on Accutane that gave the drug a very bad rep. Apparently he came from a very wealthy family that was able to sue the medical company and have it taken off the shelf for a few years before it was re-introduced. The boy had a history of depression before the drug, and no one could prove that the drug made it worse, or that he wouldn't have committed suicide anyways had he not gone on the pill. My doctor told me that while some people do report feeling depressed (she personally had one patient advise they were indeed feeling depressed, but the treatment was working so well, they wanted to continue taking the pill until the end of the treatment anyways), apparently far more people actually report they feel BETTER while on Accutane. Their confidence boosts as their skin clears, thus resulting in feeling happier. Apparently some of her referrals came from therapists whose patients had complained about their skin as a factor in their depression.

My experience: I was very nervous because I am an anxious person as it is. I never once noticed a change in my mood, or any signs of depression during the entire course I was on the pill. My doctor always told me if I ever start to feel it (even a little) to let her know right away and she'll take me off the pill. Never happened!

After Accutane: Again, no signs of depression

Crohn's Disease (there have been reports of people developing Crohn's disease and other stomach problems while on Accutane)

My doctor's opinion: My doctor told me that again there is no proven causation to this. The age in which acne becomes prevalent in people (teens to early twenties) is the same age that Crohn's becomes prevalent. She told me if I ever have any stomach issues to let her know right away

My experience: I never had any digestive or bowel issues while on Accutane

After Accutane: Still no issues

All in all, I have no regrets other than the fact that I didn't do it sooner. My acne is honestly cured and I think there is no harm in giving it a chance as long as you have honest communication with your doctor and speak up if you experience any symptoms. I hope this helped some of you.

by itsjustnotfair on 03/07/2017 07:50
The case of the suicide isn't an isolated one time issue. There have been hundreds of cases that links depression and accutane treatmnet. Just saying
Tough but it works
Reviewed on January 20, 2017

I started off with 20mg for 1 month, then 10 mg for 3 months, then 5 for 1 month and now I'm only taking 5mg every second day. My acne was bad, but Accutane helped a lot. My skin is mostly clear now, a little scaring on the cheeks but compared to what it looked like before I can live with that. My dosage was low because I have rather sensitive skin. I had dry lips and I only had to wash my hair like once a week. My hands were really dry too. If you inform yourself about the side effects and you make sure that you don't get pregnant while on it it's a very strong, but very helpful medication to get rid of acne! I can only recommend it to anyone suffering from bad acne! Good luck :)

mental and possible physical health effects
Reviewed on January 11, 2017

i felt a negative change in my mental state, mental fog difficulty speaking to other and some symptoms of depression after taking this drug for a couple of weeks and thus stopped after about 2 months. I would not recommend, as whether or not any of the long term physical effects are proven or not, anything that changes ur mental state when it is not meant to is scary....

by KristineClay on 02/09/2017 18:16
I currently have symptoms of depression but am starting accutane in a few days. Do you think Its best I abort mission? Ive suffered from acne for 10 years and nothing has worked so I wanted to give accutane a try. My current mental state is fragile though and reading your review makes me fearful.
by Solomon92 on 07/14/2017 19:53
I feel like a lot of ppl are depressed bec of acne. And accutain usually gives you the that feeling of hope so in most cases no depression.
Cleared up my back
Reviewed on January 8, 2017

It works. But you need to give it some time and consult your dermatologist for right dosage.

All the side effects you read about will happen but with time and consultation it will go away. Hang in there.