Implanon Implantable Contraceptive Reviews

Brand: Implanon

Implanon Implantable Contraceptive

Not worth it

After having nexplanon for a few weeks my periods completely stopped which was nice, but by about month 5 or 6 I started breaking out terribly around my chin, mouth, and forehead. As the months went on it persistently got worse spreading around my nose, neck, chest, shoulders and even my cheeks! (Never had acne on my cheeks prior to nexplanon) Before the implant my skin was never perfect, but I had my acne under control. I was put on doxycycline and a strong topical cream which helped for a little while, but the acne persisted. 2 years later and nothing keeps the acne away!!!! Made an appointment to get the implant removed ASAP. Not worth the loss of self esteem. The acne IS the birth control itself it seems. I would highly caution anyone with acne prone skin to consider a different option. I sure wish I had. My acne is so bad some days I don’t even want to leave my house.

uncontrollable acne with Implanon/Nexplanon

I wish i would have read these reviews before I chose the birth control method.. unfortunately it was too late for me but i hope i can save someone and their skin by this review. I never had problematic skin, not to say i never had occasional breakouts but it was nothing more then a random pimple here and there. After getting the Implanon put into my arm it flared up HORRIBLY!! it started with little tiny pimples all over my forehead literally within two weeks of getting it. After that, it turned into HUGE, CYSTIC, UNCONTROLLABLE acne. I removed the rod after 3 months because i could not take it anymore. My hormone balance was so out of wack and that lasted for an entire year. ONly reason it went away is because i did a complete detox and started researching ways to get my hormone levels balanced. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD IF YOU DONT WANT ACNE.

Comments

please read this whole thing...

Why is this even an option as a birth control? Seriously common sense here? Why didn't my doctor tell me the big side effects AT ALL and only the minor side effects like bleeding occasionally? Because it's f***ing business. They want money. I thought this would be a great birth control for me because I wouldn't need to take the pill and i thought that it would be easier. HONEY IT WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER TO JUST POP A BIRTH CONTROL PILL IN YOUR MOUTH RATHER THAN WASHING YOUR FACE 10x A DAY !!! I used to have perfect skin that people were dying to have. I used to literally get complimented on my skin. The pimples that pop up on your face is an actual joke. its a joke. IT IS SO CYSTIC and nothing can stop it. I have been even been getting them on my breasts and my vagina and not to mention I AM LITERALLY BECOMING DEPRESSED WITH THIS METAL ROD IN MY ARM. Not because I have insecurities from the acne. But whatever is in this metal rod sitting in my arm right now, is giving me an actual chemical imbalance. I did my research on this and I thought it was hilarious that the birth control doesn't contain estrogen???? IN OUR BODY, WE HAVE TWO HORMONES CALLED ESTROGEN AND PROGESTERONE. THIS BIRTH CONTROL ONLY CONTAINS PROGESTERONE. Estrogen and progesterone work together normally, usually, everything works out fine. BUT WHEN YOU ONLY ADD PROGESTERONE, THAT CREATES A HORMONAL IMBALANCE. My doctor is taking forever to take it out. It took two months to get it in. Now she is taking forever to take it out. Not to sound crazy, Due to her not telling me the information that I needed to know, if she takes any longer, I will seriously cut my arm open to take it out myself. That is how horrible this is. Not to mention, after looking at all the other reviews, I see that woman are having the same problem with their doctors not telling them s*** and acting all "oh this has never happened before!" This has obviously happened before . Seriously don't listen to the nexplanon advertisements either. They are ridiculous. This is an insult to women. This is a joke.

Comments

please read this whole thing...

Did it got better? How are you holding up? I realize is from Jan 21. But I have a similar experience. Did your acne. Boy I got mine at a clinic similar to PPand I remember 2 months later a private Gyo told me she was agaisnt them and wanting to removed them asap and gave me diane instead, wish I would habe listened to her.

Do not get this, you will probably regret it. Please read

I had the nexplanon at first, I got it taken out a year prior to the expiration date because of the off and on bleeding. I got the nexplanon a month ago I literally only had it in two weeks before I forced my doctor to take it out. I had clear beautiful skin before having this implant. I broke out in small pimples that got bigger and looked almost similar to ringworm all over my arms, back, neck, chest, stomach, and it even spread to my legs. Luckily it spared my face! 😳 My doctor told me, this has never happened before. I told my sister about it and she told me the same thing was happening to her. When she went to get hers removed her physician said the chemicals were changed in the nexplanon and a lot of women are going through the same thing and complaining about it. My skin almost looks like I have the disease autoimmune progesterone dermatitis. 🙄 I'm over it, birth control is not for me. I will stick to natural family planning. I will never in my life as long as I have brreath in my body use chemical based birth controls. Go ahead and get if you want to, do not say myself or any of the other women on here did not warn you. 🤷�'�♀�

Correction....I had the Implanon first before getting the nexplanon

completely ruined my face

I have had Nexaplon for 4 & half years. The first 3 years were great. no problems, no side affects. Then when it was renewed a year and a half ago I started getting really itchy acne on my face and always in the same spots. My lower chin, just below my eyes on both sides of my nose and on my forehead in one particular spot. Because they keep coming back in the same places my skin has started to badly scar. I also in the last year have barley gone 3 days without some spotting, whereas originally I had no bleeding at all. I have persevered with this for over a year now and have just reached my breaking point. I have booked to get this taken out next week and will go on the pill. I have gone from someone with clear skin and rarely wore makeup to someone with itchy cyst like spots who constantly feels insecure unless i wear make up to cover them. It is a shame because I loved it those first three years.

STAY AWAY

Fact is, I've never had particularly good skin but after trying every antibiotic under the sun, including a long course of Roaccutane, I'd finally got my skin where I wanted it. After previously having an implant a few years ago with no side effects, I thought I would try one again. For the first two weeks in July, my skin was fine. Then I suddenly had angry breakouts all over my chest and face. Since then, its been a total disaster. I've tried antibiotics, new products, more water, healthier diet....the acne is totally resistant. The biggest struggle I've faced is convincing my doctor that I need to have my implant taken out! On first attempt they said I was impatient and should wait 6 months up to one year! I have persisted and managed to book an appointment to have it taken out. The most frustrating fact is that I had worked patiently to seriously improve and look after my skin, and this implant has attacked it! My face, neck, chest and back has suffered serious breakouts since July now. The acne is red and angry - breakouts have been cyst like and can be extremely painful, especially when they are along the bra line and become sore from wearing clothes. I understand that not everyone reacts badly, but considering that I had no alike reactions to my first implant you just never know! So stay away!!!!

After you had the birth control removed did your cystic acne clear up? I am desperate. I don’t care about a pimple or hell even 4, but the deep big ass pimples I’m getting are so painful, I can not deal with it anymore. I’m due to have mine removed in May, as it will be the three years I’ve had it. I was initially going to another place because I’m so scared I’ll forget to take the ‘pill.’ But as I’m doing research I don’t if that would be the best choice.

should be banned

as a person who has always had clear skin and a thick head of hair i decided to get the implanon (huge mistake) a couple of months after ive got it in my face started to erupt in painful cystic acne all on my forehead and chin, dont bother looking for creams to try and clear them up because these f**kers are resistant to almost everything!, then i started to lose hair, it had also caused cysts in my breasts too which scared me i thought was bc!.oh and not to mention sinus infections too! finally got the implanon taken out which i felt so so happy about over the moon!. needs to be taken off the market womens health are suffering

Did your skin and sinuses clear when you had the implant removed?
yes much better :)

Culprit!

I suffered from severe acne when I was pregnant with my son (never had acne pre pregnancy). After giving birth, my skin calmed down and acne left my life again. I took pills for the first two years of his life and my skin was still behaving, I would probably have one or two once a month, then that's it. Then I got lazy taking my pills but scared of getting pregnant too soon. I went to the doctor and inquire about nexplanon, I thought it was a heaven sent. Gosh! Three months after getting it, my skin was out of control, all of a sudden my skin care routine doesn't work anymore and it keeps on multiplying, it's definitely one of the horrible issues I have in my life right now. For the past 8mos (this will be my 15th month of having nexplanon) I tried every acne remedy that I could get but nothing works! Then this dermatology told me that nexplanon has high levels of androgen hormone and possibly causing my breakouts. And upon reading a lot of bad reviews recently, I am convinced that this thing is the CULPRIT! I will have it removed this week and definitely go back to pills.

Comments

Great birth control, bad side effects.

I've been on Implanon for about 8 months now, its great for birth control but my side effects have been terrible. The first 5 months on it gave me irregular periods, constantly. After 6 months my period was regular (literally 8 days long) followed with another shorter period for about 2-3 days. After 7 months I've started getting acne all over my face, chest, and back that isn't going away. This has been a long journey but I think ill stick to birth control pills.

Comments

Actually cleared my skin!

I have suffered from acne since 7th grade and I am now a sophomore in college. I have been taking a prescription med to control my skin ever since. I did one course of accutane which was great but then my skin started breaking out again a few months later, and took minocycline which controlled it. I got the Mirena IUD which made my skin HORRIBLE. I even took accutane again and it didn't work, so I got the copper IUD instead and my skin immediately got much better. Unfortunately the copper IUD was awful for my menstrual cycle so I very hesitantly got the nexplanon. I was so worried because I have read almost all negative reviews about acne. After getting it, my skin broke out badly for about 3 weeks but then it perfectly cleared up! It's been 3 months and my skin is nearly perfect. I do take 200 mg of minocycline every day but I have for years and my skin is better than it was before. I am now a true believer that everyones skin is different and what makes someone break out may work great for someone else! I could not be happier with nexplanon :)

Comments

Acne on neck and jawline

I had the implant for 6 years, I never had acne as a teenager but since starting on the implant it got increasingly worse on my neck and jawline. Cystic acne that was painful and constant. I had it taken out and went on dianette. It has taken about 6 months but my skin is practically clear. It is an incredible difference. The implant is extremely convinent and did stop my periods, but the pain and appearance of my face wasn't worth it. If you're suffering with acne and you think it might be due to the implant I would strongly encourage coming off it and going on dianette. I am so so pleased

Never again!!!

I had nexplanon put in my arm about 4 months ago!! I now have bumps under my skin, cystic acne and my eyes have now developed blepharitis!! Dry flaky skin round my eyes! They're sore and water all the time! I'm phoning the doctor to have mine removed asap!!! Will never have one again!!!

Don't get this...

I had this God awful thing placed in my arm 2 months ago and it was the worse. I had constant bleeding, mood swings, gained 6 pounds, and the acne. Oh my, the acne. It was all aver my face and neck. I mean from lits of tiny white heads to giant zits. I took that suckered out of my arm the first chance I could. It's been about a month. No more bleeding but I still get break outs, not as many as before but I never had them so the ones I have now are too many. My question is... how long before I get my smooth clear skin back??

Comments

Convenient, but not worth it

I got the Nexplanon version of the implant when I got lazy with taking a pill a couple of years ago and i had a pregnancy scare. I figured this way it was one less thing to think about. - I'd suffered with acne in my teens that was cleared up with the help of the contraceptive pill and for the first year of the implant, my skin was fine, the odd spot here and there but nothing unbearable. then about 14 months in i started getting really bad acne, cysts all around my jawline and cheeks along with lots of smaller white heads across my forehead. I went on doxycycline which helped a little for a while but then just seemed to stop working. I got the implant removed 3 months ago (6 months early) and switched to co-cyprindiol (dinette) birth control pill. My skin has cleared up completely and is better than it ever has been. The implant is a great idea, but if you know that you suffer with hormonal acne already it might not be the best idea for you.

Nice pros, annoying cons

The pros: easy breezy birth control and no periods AT ALL for me. The cons: I gained a good 20 pounds in the 10 months I've had Implanon. Not just blaming the implant, but I almost immediately noticed that it increased my appetite and my appetite has not gone back down with time. Also, my face became covered in tiny whiteheads and eventually broke out into cystic acne as well. I've NEVER had acne this bad and I take really good care of my skin. I'm having it removed later this month and I'm planning on staying away from hormonal birth control for a while. Hopefully my body and face will go back to what it was

Arm Birthcontrol

I got the Implant in my arm in June 2012 that was my first one I kept that one in my arm for three years and everything was perfectly fine. June 15 I got it removed and got another inserted the same day. I didn't know they had changed the form of birth control within the arm implant. Within 4 months of this birth control, my face has broken out bad. I always had pretty skin to the point people thought I wore makeup. I never knew what was breaking me out I has spent over hundreds of dollars on acne products and nothing worked. I kept wondering why my face was breaking out the way it was. My face is horrible and my acne mostly on my cheek. My right cheek is covered with acne, but yes I have it all over my face as well. I will be getting this Implant removed out my arm in three days and I hope my skin go back to the way it was.

Comments

my struggle with the implant

I got the implant March 2014, for about 8 months everything was good, the insertion wasn't painful, I spotted only a couple times, and I didn't have to worry about taking a pill every day or getting a new patch every week etc. However, my skin started experiencing acne like no other. I never had acne as a teenager. So I just assumed this was adult acne. Started as just a couple of pimples and it got really severe, cystic, painful acne. In the course of a year I tried so many products, over the counter, expensive, professional strength medication, laser you name it and I tried it. I couldn't take it anyone. I hated seeing myself in the mirror. I wore alot of heavy full coverage make up. I wasn't happy. I felt depressed all the time. I knew my acne wasn't bacterial, so it had to be hormonal. I finally decided to have the implant removed, it's been 2 days now and my skin is clearing up so quickly than what I expected. I was given ortho tricyclen pills but I think the hormonal imbalance in my body caused such severe acne, so I'm going to stay away from hormones for a while. I would highly suggest anyone to do research before getting the implant. Acne could be a side effect and you really have to think whether it's even worth getting the implant. And if you are reading this and are struggling with acne just try to figure out what's causing your acne and hang in there. Everything will get better!

Acne again!!!

I got implanon 1st June 2015. After having trying deprovera injections, and mirena IUD. Each of these gave me acne and light facial hair growth. Thought I'd give inplanon a go... And bang ... 3.5 months after having it in, the acne has started again. Small red bumps all over face and down neck a little. Makes me feel uncomfortable when I go out and especially when out in the sun, it fuy shows the uneven complexion. I'm 37 and slightly overweight. My doctor said that I'm in a higher risk category of blood clots if I take combination oral contraception. They recommending progesterone only for my age. Pretty much tried them all now. What next?

Love it and hate it

To be honest this is the best birth control I have taken. I no longer have a period, no side effects... Then it all came crashing down lol. I have had very mild acne, but I never had cystic acne before so it was definetly because of this birth control that I now had it. But I found a solution. I saw the dermatologist and she perscribed me spironolactone, for hormonal acne. I would say I am clear-skinned 95% of the time. It's crazy but I really liked this birth control and the spiro actually helped my mild acne from before so I take them hand in hand. I am just about done with my first 3 years with implanon and getting another one next month. Even if you don't get the implanon, if you have hormonal acne (it's mostly around your chin or neck) get spiro it will work wonders for you. Good luck

Mixed Feelings

I got implanon initially at my doctors office when I was 16. For the first year my period was completely unpredictable. Sometimes it would be light and long, much like spotting, or sometimes short and heavy (like 3-4 days). In the years since I have only experienced sporadic light spotting. No major periods, I go months at a time without even getting any spotting. So, that's nice. Then literally the day after my first bar had run out I noticed some major changes in my skin. I always had acne prone skin but never really thought much of it. I rushed to make an appointment at Planned Parenthood to get a new implanon put in since I didn't have insurance at the time. I thought this would fix the breakouts, but it didn't. I started breaking out like crazy all around my mouth and chin, sometimes even getting huge cyst like pimples that were under my skin and lasted weeks. I had heard a rumor that they changed the medicine in the implanon but I never followed up on that so I'm not sure. I am 20 now, still have the implanon and have been dealing with this acne for over a year. I have been to the doctor, tried multiple antibiotics and topical solutions and nothing is working. I don't necessarily think it was the implanon itself that caused this but the fact that my hormones became imbalanced when my first bar ran out... I just can't seem to get back to the skin I had. As for weight gain or mood swings I never experienced any of that, but I have a very fast metabolism and have never had any weight issues before. The best thing about implanon is you don't have to think about taking it and you don't even notice it is there. The insertion process didn't hurt at all either because my doctor numbed the area.

Pimples!!!

I got the Implanon early last year I believe March prior to that I had the Mirena IUD for 5 years which was fine. I thought I would give the Implanon a try because it was very successful at preventing pregnancy and basically because it was new sorta. BIG BIG I MEAN HUGE MISTAKE!!! I am 26 years old and have never had issues with pimples yet alone ACNE, I am embarrassed of my face it has literally done a complete 360 in the past couple of months but worse I now have pimple scarring too. I keep reading posts about CYSTS I'm assuming that's what I might have on my face basically a pimple under your skin that you can't pop? At first there wasn't any big changes in the first 1-3 months I had it implanted but then my face was starting to get little breakouts here and there which eventually turned into big breakouts and painful pimples both on top of my skin and under my skin. I am also starting to get pimples under my neck which I have NEVER had a pimple there before and some on my upper arm by my neck... Super embarrassing!!! I currently still have the Implanon in but have an appointment next week to have it removed. Why?? Because my face is getting so bad I started to do research about everything seeing what might be causing my acne/pimples/cysts whatever you want to call it my problem basically and found out this birth control causes acne as on of the major side effects that along with weight gain. When I was reading on [link removed] one of the dermatologist said it is very bad to switch birth controls as an adult for this very reason because it can often cause your body a dramatic hormonal change which in return can cause ACNE. So I'm hoping my face starts to clear up once the Implanon is removed. I will give an update about 1-2 months after removal.

How is your skin now after getting it removed?

Sneaky

The convenience and effectiveness of this BC are its main selling points. However I'm really doubting that the mood swings, weight gain, and acne are worth it. Inserted Dec 2013, and by May 2014 I have noticed a major increase in the amount of acne I'm dealing with. I'm 27, and suffering worse than I ever did in my early 20s or even as a teen. My weight used to fluctuate in the 130s, now it floats around in the 140s. Being only 5'1'', it's pretty noticeable on my small frame. What's worse, it seems that it's mainly water weight that I'm carrying around in my middle and upper arms. After joining a local health club, my lower half of my body is amazing skinny, yet I'm still big ass MARSHMALLOW on top. Yeah. Marshmallow. Planning a removal appointment soon. Do your research before considering this BC. **UPDATE 8/18/2014 MY ACNE IS HEALING. My life has improved in so many areas after having Implanon removed. I no longer feel sluggish all the time. My appetite has GREATLY decreased compared to the monster it used to be. I'm seeing better results at the gym. PEOPLE are noticing how much my acne is clearing up. I've gotten so many compliments, and people actually asking me what "miracle product" I must have found. Seriously. My boss pulled me aside and literally asked me this, because she struggles with acne herself. It's been less than one month, and all of these changes in my body are more than obvious. If you think Implanon is wreaking havoc on your life/body, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you think of simply having it removed. The difference is like night and day. Don't torture yourself! I've also started a blog on the subject. Should you wish to check it out and follow my new all-natural approach to life (specifically BC), look for "tcomf" on tumblr. **UPDATE 2, 9/3/2014 My acne continues to improve! The scars are now fading, and I use much less foundation to cover the red/brown spots that Implanon gave me.

What about your mood? Is it improving? I don't know if you had mood swings or depression before you took it out but that + horrible acne is my main reason for removing it this week... I just want to know if you felt really sad for no reason and if removing it helped? How long did it take? :(
Guest CARLY
Guest CARLY

UPDATE BELOW UPDATE BELOW UPDATE! 6/14/2011 All the cysts are gone and I literally have very few pimples. I have scarring left over but I am using Ret-A every other night and the nights between those I use emu oil which I have to say I like better and I am considering just using that alone because the days I wake up and had used the emu oil my scars look softer and less visible vs. waking up from the Ret-A where the skin is dry over the scars and of course peeling from it so then I don't want to wear makeup and it makes me want to pick at my face, ahh.... I have been using Exuviance as my foundation makeup and also there concealer which is a godsend for people with acne prone skin or bad skin in general, so little is needed and realllly makes your skin look so good and feel good even after a long day of wearing it.

I realize this post was in 2011, but I am going through the same thing in 2014. I am making an appointment very soon to have my implant removed. Any update? How have the last 3 years gone?
Guest CarlyJean
Guest CarlyJean

****UPDATE**** I just wanted to update from my last post,my skin has started to clear up dramatically. I still have a few cystic like bumps on my neck. They are smaller but getting smaller with time. I have not had any new ones come up, THANK THE LORD! I do however have a lot of scaring and its depressing. The day I had the Implanon taken out I was prescribed YAZ birth control, my doctor said this would help clear it up. I am not sure if it is the YAZ as well helping but whatever I love it and I am so happy that its clearing up all together!

Popular Prescription treatments