Glycolic Acid Peel Reviews

Glycolic Acid Peel

User636879

glycolic acid and skincare routine using natural products got rid of acne marks and acne scars.

all you have to do to get a clear acne free skin and to avoid future breakouts is to follow a regular skincare routine with all natural products. like cleansing, toning, moisturizing and exfoliating or scrubbing. i first take off my makeup with some oil based cleanser then i exfoliate my skin with apricot scub (you can use any brand) after scrubbing my skin i use some foam based cleanser which contains salicylic acid which is a face wash, after that i apply rose water as a toner with the help of a cotton ball, then i apply store bought aloe vera gel as my moisturizer i let it soak in after it is soaked into my skin after 5 minutes then i apply glycolic acid 12% cream at night. by following this skincare routine my skin is pretty much clear now acne free and my mild acne scaring has reduced it isn't noticeable and it got rid of acne marks in just a few weeks i don't get any whiteheads or pimples anymore, because regular exfoliating your skin gets rid of dead skin cells which causes whiteheads and rose water has anti bacterial properties which kills bacteria on your face that's why your pores less likely to get infected. and i use an apricot scrub thrice a week even though I'm using glycolic acid cream everyday it avoided my initial breakout which glycolic acid could've caused. and for morning routine i wash my face with the foaming cleanser face wash then i use rose water as a toner then aloe vera gel as a moisturizer above that i use sunscreen then do my makeup and ready to start off my day. by following this skincare routine my skin produces less oil now, my skin was super oily before now its balanced. i don't get any whiteheads and pimples and all my acne marks have cleared up and my mild acne scaring reduced so much.

Excellent for my skin!

38 year old female and I've been using aha's for a few years now. I first started out on retin a because I had acne for years into my 30's. That worked for me but I wanted something gentler I hated the peeling! I had tons of scarring and dark spots from my acne. So I started doing glycolic Acid peels. I've used lactic, mandelic, tca, and my favorite for my skin the glycolic Acid peel. I use a 40% peel or I take a drop and mix it with my moisturizer as a serum. When I use this as a peel I layer it since my skin is very used to acids and I leave it on for 5 minutes neutralize with a mix of baking soda and water. Then I wash with a PH adjusting foam cleanser. After that I use Cerave PM and snail mucin believe it or not. That calms my skin and I've had few to no breakouts since I switched to only using aha's. I purchased my 40% on eBay for 12$ by beauty essentials is the company on the bottle. I believe this is a Korean made product. My skin is finally clear and I can go without makeup now. The few spots I get are hormonal once a month spots but they are tiny and go away very fast. All and all I'm super pleased with using glycolic acid peels. It's worked in my case I hope it does for others too!

Suing for damages/peels

Was a skin test done BEFORE to see if you were sensitive? If not, take photos and call an attorney. You should get all your money back and some money for your pain and suffering and money to pay for future treatment if this damage is permanent.

White male, 23, medium acne scarring—excellent results

I have been using this for around 5 weeks now, have gotten exceedingly good results. Less visible scars and overall less Acne. This is the closest thing you will get to a "quick" fix for acne. Be warned however, this stuff can easily f**k your face up for life. You want to research this stuff before you try it at home. Don't go full retard and start with 70% just because you are desperate and can't wait a few weeks for results'”you will regret it for the rest of your life. Start low, maybe around 30% (what i am using) or less, look up guides etc. I have tried a lot of stuff, but this is the only "cure" that i have found effective. Strongly recommend. I do repeat however, be careful with this stuff'”it can f**k you up for life, play it safe'”play it smart.

Not a significant effect

I have had some acne scarring and a lot of hyper pigmented blemishes over the past few years. I have had four glycolic acid peels over the past 8 weeks but I don't see a significant improvement even as far as the blemishes are concerned. I have also been religiously doing the home care regimen my aestheticism recommended which include cleansing, messaging, exfoliation and applying 5% glycolic acid at night. I don't see a significant improvement in my skin. Has anyone else had similar experience? I am wondering if it is even worth to get the remaining two peels as I have heard people usually get a series of 6.

try increasing your glycolic acid to 30% you will see better results since your skin has already tolerated 5% be careful and follow the directions and always have a neutralizer handy it makes the peels tolerable. good luck

Helped a little

I got 5 pretty expensive treatments of glycolic acid peel, I think that it helped a little for my scarring but I'm not sure if that's due to the glycolic acid bc they've been there for a long time so they would also have faded with time. I think it actually did prevent my skin from forme new pimples, because I didn't get any serious ones on my cheeks (my main problem area) since starting te treatment. (This could also be because I started Yasmin birth control pill) BUT my face would look really red and way worse than it was for at least 2 days after i had a treatment and the scabs stay sometimes up to a week. At first it also makes it worse due to the purging.

Comments

How to AVOID bad initial breakout

Hi guys, A lot of you are getting initial breakouts, and some of you may be nervous to give this a go for fear of a major purging. First things first, you WANT an initial breakout. All those blackheads and clogged pores need to be opened somehow to GET clear, and you definitely don't want you body absorbing those toxins backup. But yes, I get it. Breakouts suck and and we just want clear skin now now now! An initial breakout is pretty much unavoidable, but again it depends on skin types and type of clogged pore. Lets assume you are like most of us on here who will get an IB. I'll tell you how to minimize this when using a Glycolic acid peel. Start off easy. A month before I started this peel I started the Neostrata line, which has a glycolic lotion that you apply daily at 10 percent strength (or 8 percent, but i went full force right away). This is enough to keep new zits from coming, and ease you into the initial breakout. I think I had a few whiteheads the first week of use. After that, nada. Bit of redness first 2 weeks but hey, redness i better than ten whiteheads right? My skin is the best its been in so long now, the daily lotion has reduce my acne 85-90 percent. I did a 30 percent chemical peel and so far no initial breakout or anything, my skin is quite clear, I am doing these peels to get rid of scars. Thanks to taking a couple weeks of a 10 percent lotion, I believe I won't have any issue with an initial break whatsoever. That being said, if you just want to jump right into it, expect an average to big initial breakout. If you can wait long enough to do some sort of 5-10 percent glycolic cream/lotion twice a day, then you'll have no problem with the chemical peel you'll just jump straight to results (then again, I can't testify to that for everyone, just my experience). It's all up to you. Hope that helped!! (In case you are wondering I am using the Neostrata gel cleanser, and follow up with the 10 percent lotion right after... best thing I have used for my skin to date... and yes, I've tried it all) *I am not affiliated with Neostrata whatsoever

what lotion were you using?

Very little effect for stubborn skin

I have some minor acne scarring, ice picks (very minor) and a few holes (again very minor) but always noticeable to yourself. Persistent redness left over from spots is a huge problem for me, still going strong after a year and a half. I have combination oily skin. I bought this as it is a light peel, you start light and work your way up. This sadly had very very little effect on me. It did burn a little yes but not to an unbearable extent. You are recommended to do this peel once a week, I bought from Bravura (I recommend highly), I however used this peel 5 days in a row purely out of frustration due to seeing no change. This still did nothing to my skin - I didn't even react badly to it! I even did a 30% and a 50% peel at the same time, one after one another, layered etc, my point being, I never ever reacted to it. meaning it just was not strong enough for my skin. It is a superficial peel, I should imagine it to work well for skin that is not badly damaged and which has not been scarred for a long time. This is my own personal recommendation. If you want to do TCA (medium depth peel) in the future I highly recommend that you do these peels for several weeks in the future. I think you need to examine how damaged your skin is before purchasing this, my skin is evidently made out of steel after the amount of crap ive put on it haha, it did not break me out however and helped with redness ever so slightly.

Comments

Worked for me - my skin requires continuation though

Reduced scarring Reduced acne Brighter skin complexion Stinging Without sun screen - dark pigmentation I use the acne.org regimen and loved the AHA. I still had some long-time (old) scarring that I wanted to fade once the acne reduced. I saw a dermatologist and he recommended glycolic peel every 2 weeks as I was working full time and had no ability to take time off for healing. It stung and I had to hold a fan to my face while it was there, but it was quick and after 2 months of treatments I was seeing results. I was asked to increase the strength of the peel as well upto 50% and even up to 60% over a few months. I loved it! BUT SUN SCREEN IS A COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE MUST! I did not experience visible peeling or redness (I have brown skin). Unfortunately, due to weather and stress my acne is back and I'm back on the regimen. Some scarring is starting again, but I am on AHA hoping to never go back to where I was.

Comments

I have the skin that I've always wanted!!

Brighter, tigher, more radiant skin Cleared acne completely Removed scars Tingles a little during peel, but nothing too bad First off, I never write reviews for anything so this is a big deal for me. I'm a young female who has suffered from horrible skin for majority of my life. I've tried everything imaginable, and nothing has ever helped. I purchased a 30% glycolic peel from Amazon after doing much research, and WOW.. Not only has my acne cleared completely, but it has taken away years of scars! My skin is beautiful and I can't be more happy about it. I've never been able to walk around without makeup, until now :). Please do your research before doing a glycolic peel at home (youtube is very helpful). My tips: DON'T start out with a peel that is higher than 30%, DON'T do it more than once per week, and DO generously moisturize your skin until several days after peel. If you are sick and tired of having bad skin, please give this a try.

which peel did you bought?

Helped Pitted Scars

Less acne Scars filling in and dark spots faded down time for stronger peels I brought it off ebay (i know it might seem a bit dodgy) i did buy the more expensive versions however and this worked amazing. I brought 50% and it did dry my skin at first ( peeling , redness and slight scabbing) however over time i noticed my pitted scars filling in. I would say they are about 70% better! they are only seen when light is angled on my face. If you don't mind down time (a few days - week) go for stronger solutions to see more results for scars. For acne however i think doing regular lower percent peels would be more effective . This was a long term process so don't expect over night results but it really has helped!

Pigmentation Peel "Pumpkin Peel" Dermaquest

Helps with acne and ageing Does tingle/burn a little bit when being applied Skin can dry out and flake a little The Dermaquest pumpkin peel is glycolic, salicylic and lactic acid based. I suffer from moderate to severe acne so booked a peel to see if it would help. I had my first peel last Thursday and immediately after it my skin felt much smoother and tighter. The following Monday my acne had completely flattened out and disappeared. I am now left with redness which is nothing compared to the acne I had! Plus I can cover redness up with makeup. I have my second peel booked for tonight (one week after my first). It is recommended to have six peels one week after the other to get the best results. I am already seeing the results after just one so I can't wait to see how my skin will look at the end of it all. I am so excited about this product as I have tried medications, cleansers, scrubs, changing my diet and nothing has helped. It is amazing! Be patient with it though it is a six week process so don't expect overnight results.

Oh. My. Goodness.

NONE Hurts like no one's business. Itchy, burning, sensitivity, reddness, YOU NAME IT! Takes forever to heal. Ridiculously Expensive. Two words: Never. Again. I don't know if it's because I have super sensitive skin or what, but this treatment did not go over well with me. It burned like heck when my esthetician put it on my face, and while she assured me that's normal I did not feel it should hurt that badly. I left her office with a red and irritated face. The next day things weren't horrible, but they weren't normal either. My face hurt and was noticeably puffier than usual. Then the next day I woke up looking like a million bees had stung me on my face. My skin was red, peely, excessively dry, and if the tiniest breeze blew by it felt like i was being stabbed all over my face. And the worst part is that I was breaking out ON TOP of all of that yuckiness. Let the record show, that I tried everything to reduce the inflammation and nothing worked. And worse than that, is when my face returned to normal there was absolutely no improvement... Waste of time, money, and pain.

thats so normal, it happened to me all the time, and like after one week of peeling, my face turned to its normal state
Did she do a skin test BEFORE to see if you were senstive? If not, take photos and call and attorney. You should get all your money back and some money for your pain and suffering and money to pay for future treatment if this damage is permanent.

Reduces signs of scarring Burning, redness, slow to see results You need to use several times over several months in order to see results.

Guest Mary
Guest Mary

1. smoother skin 2. Dark marks lightened 3. face is much clearer 1. some peeling 2. redness for 20 mins after application 3. my skin adapted and now I need a stronger peel I bought a glycolic acid peel 30%, from Perfect Image on Amazon. This peel worked from the get go. I noticed my skin was smoother after the first application. After a few weeks I also noticed I was breaking out way less. Currently, I only have 1 active pimple, which is really not normal for me. I usually have at least 4-5 at a time. While the peel worked on breakouts and lightened some of my hyperpigmentation (I have very light skin, but dark marks), my skin adapted within a month and now my marks are not lightening like they did initially. My skin is still staying much clearer though. (even during that time of the month---weird!) I also must say that I was using this product 2-3 times a week. I felt my skin could handle it, but this is most likely the reason why my skin adapted so quickly.

Guest Kevin
Guest Kevin

Helps Even and Brighten Skin Tone Lessens appearance of acne scar pigment Stuff Lasts Forever Initial Redness If not careful can cause crusting skin which can be scary! Overall a great product, I Used the 70% glycolic acid and would usually dilute it with a couple drops of water. Applied with a cotton ball kept on for 3 minutes at first and eventually upped to 7 minutes.

Comments

lightens burns redness Sooooo I bought the 30% Glycolic Peel and ive been using it twice a week on my neck and chest for to months now and I havent seen that big of a change. Im 20 years old and ive been suffering from acne DARK MARKS for about 4 years and ive literally tried everything. I dont know if I should get a stronger version of this or get a skinbrightening cream. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

well the thing that I can only say is that we just have different kind of skins (like sensitive, dry whatsoever). If pimples are always popped over and over again and you don't give time to it to heal, it will really leave a permanent scar that's for sure

Best exfoliator out there. Can cause open wounds on existing lesions if left on too long. Must be careful. It has helped with my cystic acne by unclogging pores. I noticed black heads on nose disappeared. I've used 30% for a couple minutes all over. I also use 20% as a toner and leave it on. I've used 50% on spots, but that's when I run into trouble. Maybe I should stick to the 30%. Twice a week or every 4 to 5 day is good.

Guest BayAreaLadyBug
Guest BayAreaLadyBug

brightens/lightens skin immediately It's acid so be careful I'm an African American woman in my 30's and I bought 70% glycolic acid on eBay last week for $8. I used it on my face but diluted the acid first. 1 tsp acid and 1-1/2 tsps water. I wanted to take it easy on my face the first time around. First I washed my face with my regular cleanser (Ambi bar soap), then I soaked a cotton ball with alcohol and cleansed my face again. Then, I used a make-up/paint brush to apply the acid over my entire face. I let it sit for 3 minutes then rinsed with ice cold water and baking soda mixed. After I rinsed, I mixed all natural Vitamin E oil ($3 at Whole Foods Grocery Store) and Aloe Vera gel (also bought from Whole Foods) and applied it to my face and went to bed. The next morning I rinsed my face with water and WITCH HAZEL, then reapplied the vit E and aloe mix to my face. I did not peel but my skin was definitely brighter the next day, almost like a bleaching effect. I looked in the mirror the next morning and was WOWed by the results!!! I'm definitely satisfied with my appearance but I wouldn't repeat the process as often as the bottle says because like I said it definitely brightened/lightened my face... A LOT... I'm not trying to turn white or light skinned, I LOVE my cocoa complexion, I just want to lighten my hyperpigmentation spots. Next time I'll spot treat. I ALSO USED 70% GLYCOLIC ACID ON MY LEGS AND KNEES to no avail. I DID NOT dilute the acid, it tingled a little when applying but no immediate results. I'll try it again but so far--- the face absolute immediate results'---- for the legs and knees not so much.... Hope this helps someone out there... 70% glycolic on the body and legs ...NO RESULTS YET... If anyone out there has remedies for hyperpigmentation on the inner thighs and knees please speak up!!! You never know whom you may be helping!!! Peace and Blessings, Bay Area LadyBug

what was the name of the product you used?
Guest Gordon
Guest Gordon

Note:I am already CLEAR. After one peel from a 30% unbuffered glycolic acid solution, -noticeably smaller pores -tighter skin, less wrinkles (i had one that I gained through acne, it's almost gone now) -redness dramatically lessened / almost gone I can't say it does anything for PIH, because mine's almost all gone, and also, I've only written this after performing the peel last night (it's morning now, so one night's effect), whereas effects are supposed to show None. No redness, soreness, or other side effects for me, only good effects :) I expected to have at least redness the day after, but I guess I didn't leave it on long enough (I left it on for 1 minute, as a first time user that's the safe time limit) During the peel application, my skin started stinging and I was afraid I was going to burn, but I held out for 1 min, and I'm fine not even redness (after all, the acid IS burning your skin off) Apply your glycolic acid properly, and err on the side of caution - less is more people ! Listen to your skin and instinct ! Start slowly and carefully ! I had dramatic effects even with 30% and ONLY 1 min of application. Over repeated uses I expect to have close-to perfect skin. I will be upping the time applied to 3 mins, then to 5, and eventually to 7-10, depending on how my skin feels. After my bottle of 30 ml runs out (should take over half a year) I will be upping concentration to 50%. Here's how I apply and neutralise my peel. 1) Cleanse 2) Wipe rubbing alcohol over face to ensure an oil-free skin surface (very cheap if you don't have already, don't need a lot, take care not to get addicted to the smell either - it means you're anemic :) 3) Soak gauze pad with 1-2 mL of your acid solution (1 mL = 20 drops, 2 mL = 40 ... I used 2 mL this time, but I will be using 30 drops next time, 40 is overkill) 4)Wipe over skin, taking care to not get within 2 mm of the eyes as the skin there is *thin thin thin* and most likely perfect already. Also take care not to RUB IT IN, just as long as the acid is ON your skin, it'll do its job. You don't want your skin to absorb the acid T_T So aim for a thin and even layer, by buffing when needed (eg around the nose) and lightly wiping. 5)Wait 3-10 minutes, depending on your peel experience. It is recommended for 1st time users NOT to go over 1 minute, and no one should EVER go over 10. You will feel stinging. This is normal. If it gets too much or starts really burning, listen to your skin and start rinsing the acid off (every1 has a diff skin sensitivity) 6)I rinse off with a 3/4 sinkfull of water combined with 1/4 cup of baking soda, dissolved in - it neutralises the acid on your face. I rinse for around 1 minute, until there is no stinging left. Then I rinse with just cold water for a bit longer, making sure there is no more acid left. I'm doing this weekly for 2 month

Comments

After one use i can already see the clearness in the skin Very cheap Easy to do at home Very red face Peeling Soreness New spots have popped up I used this product yesterday 50%. I left it on for about 4 minutes which was too much for me maybe one minute less would have been a bit less harsh! My face is current very red in the t zone area and the skin is trying to recover again. I would advise anyone with sensitive skin like mine to only leave the peel on for about 3 mins max to start with. All in all on the not so red bits of my face i can see the skin looks alot more luminous

Comments

Nothing pitted scars, doesn't reduce acne i had a really bad breakout a few winters ago that i couldnt seem to get under control. I went to sk:n (uk dermatologists) and got 6 sessions of gycolic peels over the course of a few months. it did not help for my acne at all and i am left with permanent pitted scars on my cheeks to this day. the acid has a kind of melting effect and dissolves ur skin away leaving a big hole where ur pores used to be. this kind of treatment is probably best for ppl who do not have any active pimples and just want to get rid of superficial scarring - it's not the best thing to use if u have pustules. if anything it just aggravates ur acne even more.

Comments

- Has decreased my bacne - Relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself - Few side effects if you follow the protocol and start carefully - Easy to apply (but for bacne you'll probably need some help with the brushing) - Has paled my scars somewhat - Didn't take away all my bacne, so I started using AHA cream daily too. - The stronger concentrations sting quite a bit. - No permanent effect. The acne will return if you stop with the treatments - Not suitable for summer sun and bathing - Takes a while to work, but so does pretty much all effective acne treatments - I always break out slightly after each peel I have just finished a 7-treatment glycolic peel cycle using first 40% glycolic acid and then 50% (my back skin is not very sensitive). First a little background: I have moderate to somewhat severe bacne. I have tried retin-a, antibiotics and bp, the first two where rather useless and though bp worked rather well it bleaches everything so I had to stop. Also I've tried some "home remedies" like Head and shoulders and a non dairy diet, which again, didn't work. The only time I've been acne free is during my pregnancies. I get better during the summer months and worse in the winter. For the first three weeks I did just peels, plus a routine of salicylic acid toner and a mild lactic acid cream. My back got better, but I could kinda tell from experience that is wasn't going to work completely. So I added an aha-cream as per Dan's bacne regime. Now I'm on my 4th week of that combo and my back is considerably better. Just a few small pimples. Of course the back still looks like a mess due to all the scars and crusts, but when I touch my skin it feels much smoother. For me this is a very big deal since I've struggled with bacne for almost 20 years, and it has gotten worse and worse. After starting aha-treatments my skin looks the best it has in years. And I feel confident that if I can keep up with this regime I will have pretty decent looking back for the most parts. But it will take some dedication

Guest Axl
Guest Axl

-DID HELP TO LIGHTEN PIH (post inflammatory HYPERpigmentation! -DID HELP TO SOFTEN SCARS! -makes skin tone look more even -brightens dull complexion -*** WARNING*** do not use on regular skin -if you get too zealous you will fry your skin off like I did -does not work well on recent scars, works better on old, healed discoloration -does NOT prevent new acne -does NOT work on post inflammatory HYPOpigmentaion ME: I am 32. I had **absolutely perfect/flawless skin** with only mild cleanser and lotion until age 31. I never needed make-up EVER. I now have grotesque, hormonal, cystic acne that scars whether I pick or not and causes pits and horrible discoloration. I have dark tan skin. I am so sad, I no longer want to show my face. PRODUCT: 40% glyolic acid peel off of ebay USE: I used the glycolic acid peel religiously every five days for the last month. The PIH has begun to lighten and the scars are softer! Really. Note: The newer scars that are just forming get horribly worse if you put glycolic acid on them before they are well healed. If you do put glycolic on new scars, then don't heal at all. DO NOT PUT IT ON PLACES THAT DON'T NEED IT, you will just singe your first layer of skin off. RESULTS: Don't expect overnight miracles. My acne was not lightening on its own after several months. I noticed a difference with the peel within a month. You should not, not put it on places that do not need it. Use, Dan's AHA for those places. This is for those of us with severe scarring and PIH.

Guest pat
Guest pat

smoothes skin reduces scars reduces stretch marks helps acne very cheap! can irritate or burn if not careful. redness only lasts 1-3 days. I have been dealing with gross, dark acne scars in unpleasant places my whole life. i have tried everything. id soak my skin in vinegar DAILY, untill i learned about acid peels. I decided not to take any chances with it being too week, so on ebay i purchased a pack, two 1oz bottles, 50% and 70%, for only about 15-16 dollars free shipping(check out the seller, sharefair) anyway, i went straight for the strongest stuff. i HAVE been over using it(full peels once every few days, and spot treating my scars with the 70) and yeah it gets pretty irritated when you do it so often.i actually burnt a hole in my belly(its oing away though) but if you follow directions(once a week, leave on for 2-6 minutes depending on tolerance) you shouldn't have any problems. so far im noticing my scars are definately a lot lighter, im not getting my usual pimply razor burn(im italian. i have to shave), im not getting new pimples, and my skin feels AMAZING. i am addicted! do not let doctors fool you, they are after your $$. you can do acid peels by yourself no problem, for cheap! none of that silly $50+ per peel. you can get a whole 1 oz bottle for around 8 bucks on ebay, which is about 15 peels worth. just follow the instructions, if you need help elect a trusted friend. please don't waste your money needlessly! this works just as good! also, don't be fooled into buying a neutralizer. just mix some baking soda and water and pat it on if you really need it. wish you all luck in your quests for good skin! and a side note, if you get one thats too strong, just dilute it with water! no need to go back and buy a weeker one. you'l get more for your money if you buy the 70 and dilute it. and do NOT use undiluted 70 on your face!

Popular Medical