x

2.9/5 - 183 reviews

Brand: Fraxel

Life changing decision
Reviewed on September 23, 2017

I'm surprised this has such low ratings. I've had great results and about 70% improvement in scarring with 11 sessions of the Fraxel DUAL 1550/1927 laser over the past few years.

Background: I have thick oily skin, with rolling and boxcar scars from teenage cystic acne. I use prescription strength retinol nightly (Tazorac 0.1% gel) to keep my skin clear, however despite clear skin, there was still plenty of scarring and in the sunlight my skin texture looked worse than an orange peel. I had heard that Fraxel dual was the gold standard for getting rid of acne scarring and despite some poor reviews took the plunge and it was the best decision I've made in my life. I do around 3-6 sessions per year (the max # of sessions you can do is 6 a year) and paid about $570 for each session because my local provider had a package discount.

I logged my experience with the settings and recovery for reference below. Most of the sessions were administered on the highest setting (70 MJ) because I have light, thick skin and thus can handle it. I really didn't see much results before hitting this highest setting, so if you have similar skin type I would highly recommend being as aggressive as possible in these sessions.

Recovery took about 5-7 days for me to get rid of swelling and crustiness (as in I stopped looking like a red lobster blowfish hybrid monster and can leave the house again with full coverage makeup). Full recovery with skin being back to normal (no redness, no peeling) and where I can wear light makeup normally again is about 21 days.

I found using aquaphor helped greatly in speeding up restoring the skin's barrier. To get rid of flakes and molting I resumed my prescription retinol tazorac immediately the night of the treatment and it helps drastically as well (note this is generally not a recommended approach - most doctors advise stopping retinol 2 weeks before and resuming 2 weeks after, but I chose to not follow this because I know my skin can handle it. And I got really good results.)

The only negative I can think of is that the actual treatment is quite painful. My nurse does 4 horizontal and 4 vertical passes and on the highest setting, even with numbing cream, every single pass feels like the sharp side of a heated knife mildly scraping against my skin. But it goes by quickly if you think about other things. No pain no gain right?

Fraxel Log

2014

October – 55 MJ: Lots of pustules, took a long time to heal

November?? : no pustules; lots of redness many weeks after

2015

November – 55 or 60 MJ: no pustules, took ~ 6 days

December – 60 MJ: took 5-6 days

2016

November – 65 or 70 MJ – most dramatic improvement but very dry and flaky in the healing process

December – 70 MJ – healing took shortest time; laser pressed lightly. But had red patch and peeling skin near nasolabial fold for weeks after

2017

May – 70 MJ: This is the 3rd day but my face texture seems so smooth, like normal skin. It used to be really rough, dry, coarse and flaky, even when I use tazorac religiously following the session.

June – 70 MJ – I would say my skin is 70% smooth now. In darker lighting/shadows there are still the pits, but I’m hopeful the next few sessions will get rid of that.

July – 70 MJ

August – 70 MJ

September – 70 MJ: skin continues to be smoother with each session. Rolling scars seem to have flattened considerably; the icepick scars look more like big pores now which can be covered with primers (Benefit Porefessional) and setting powder (Tarte smooth operator amazonian clay setting powder)

by undlou on 09/30/2017 08:29
I have been very apprehensive to try this, but your detailed review has been very helpful. Porefessional is the best!
Bad results and didn't meet my expectations
Reviewed on December 2, 2016

I've had fraxel laser five days ago, the results didn't meet my expectations, this is a light peel and my skin didn't go red at all. The consultant wants me to spend more money to have more treatments when i'm struggling financially. I could've achieved better results at home with tca peel. This is like 5%tca peel.

I'm not pleased with the results and think consultants delibrately do this so you have more sessions. I wish i could get a refund and go somewhere else.

by smithsonia on 03/10/2017 23:29
Hello everyone, i want to use this great opportunity to say a very big thanks to Dr Herbert for curing my Skin Rashes, acne and thyroid cancer which has being on my face and skin for several years, i have used so many product which doctors prescribe for me such as radioactive iodine and essiac, but none could offer me the help i searched for. i saw some few comments on the internet about this specialist called Dr, Herbert and decided to contact him on his email i saw on the internet (drherbertsolutiontemple@[link removed] but when i first held about him i never believed, until i emailed him. He gave me his herbal medicine which i used for my skin and now i am well and my skin and face are clean and smooth, am free from ACNE pimples and my thyroid cancer was cured permanently, if you have the same problem just contact Dr Herbert, be rest assured that your problem is over. you can contact him on his email (drherbertsolutiontemple@[link removed]) add him on whatsapp +2349052116690.
by smithsonia on 03/10/2017 23:29
fraxel
Reviewed on August 15, 2016

Fraxel has significantly reduced the depth of my scars. I still have the scars but they are definitely not as noticeable. I had two rounds of Fraxel in the deepest setting and I will recommend it. The first few months its going to be a nightmare. Your face will look terrible and it can bring acne. Right now I am battling with acne I will start on Tretinoin and antiobiotic.

by jewels45788 on 12/14/2016 22:31
What type of Fraxel laser did you have, restore, dual, or repair?
ok
Reviewed on May 6, 2016

i have acne scars on my cheek and big pores and my dermatologist recommended me to this treatment(fraxel co2). i had treatment abt 5 times. i can see the different abit my pores were smaller but didnt help with my scars and its cost too much

Fraxel co2 treatment
Reviewed on September 2, 2014

I am 29th and have been suffering from acne since i was 10. My face is left with ice-picked scarring and uneven skin tone. I have just had my third fraxel co2 done yesterday. I had my second fraxel done six months ago. The skin consultant decided that he could go try a more aggressive approach as my skin seems to be tolerating the laser well, e.g. no pigmentation problem issue as yet. My face looks really red and swollen at the moment and my face goes redder as the hours passes by. I am using Vaseline at the moment to keep the skin hydrated and provide an ideal environment for the skin to repair/renew. It is important that i clean my face with ph5.5 product or cetaphil as i have oily skin and by the end of the day, i could see blister/new pimples forming. If it is not cleanse throughly, the pores would be blocked and instead of new skin forming, i would get breakout on the treated part of the face. I was given aciclovir and flucloxacillin for my past 2 visit; not sure why i wasn't given this time and i had just realised the fact so can't query with the consultant. I will update you with my post treatment for the next few weeks. I would like to post the picture after the treatment so that you could have a look and know what to expect but unfortunately i don't think we are allowed to post picture on this site. I'll try my best to update my skin condition with everyone and hopefully you find my sharing useful.

by Nightwitch9 on 06/08/2015 01:25
Are u still here? How's ur skin now?
Palomar laser
Reviewed on November 7, 2013

I finished Accutane in April of this year, it worked good, was on for 5 months. Then this September I asked my derm about my facial scarring and redness, and she suggested Palomar laser. So I did 2 treatments 4 weeks apart, I had breakouts after both treatments, thought it was from laser but im not sure anymore, because I am still breaking out on places where I did not even get the laser done, my next appointment is next Friday, and I don't know what to do, the 2 treatments have filled in my pick scars pretty good, but still could use more treatments, but these breakouts... im debating if I should just ask to go on Accutane again? suggestions? opinions?

I can also provide pictures if needed.

Thanks

by NiftyStranger on 03/01/2014 21:06
I am surprised they didn't make you wait at least 1 year post-Accutane.
by SkinGodAndy on 12/28/2015 08:02
Accutane is damaging to your skin. Your best bet is to take an antibiotic from your doc and wait it out. Accutane is TRASH.
Don't use this treatment, if you don't want ur skin look worst.
Reviewed on September 4, 2013

I'm 31 years old. I had two treatment of fraxel n one more to go. But after my two treatment my skin get so sensitive and irritation that give me pimples and blackheads around my cheeks area. I noticed that my skin get so red n inflamed from all types of products that contain alcohol or acid in it. Right now, I'm so embarrassed to go out without any make-up on. I also take picture before and after from my camera. When I had a look at my before pic for fraxel treatment my skin didn't had any pimples or blackheads. After two treatment my skin getting worst and the acne scar doesn't look any better after 6 month post treatment. Honestly, don't waste ur time and money, bcus it is a lot of pain if you're not high pain intolerance.

No Light At the End of This Laser!
Reviewed on June 27, 2013

I'm a white 52 year old woman. I have had acne scaring since I was 13. In my twenties and thirties I would get that once a month dreaded whopper of a zit prior to my period leaving yet another deep pitted scar almost each month. Do the math on that one! I had my first and only child at 37 it was only then that the acne finally stopped. Mine must have been very hormonal in nature. I have done some modeling and local TV and was always very self conscious about the appearance of my face. Five years ago never having any surgery or cosmetic procedure I decided to do something I had always dreamed of doing - improve the texture of my face. I had it done by a very renowned Chicago Plastic Surgeon. After a consultation he advised me this was the only way to go for my deep scarring. I asked about dermabrasion and CO2 but he said those were old and not really used anymore and this was the way to go. The procedure was relatively new and I was told that the laser was The Doc's "new baby"! That should have been my first hint. Nothing like being a guinea pig for your very first cosmetic procedure! I felt for many of you who described the procedure as being very painful. My guess it you may not have a high pain threshold and thiner skin. Fortunately for me I literally have thick skin and a very high tolerance for pain. The procedure itself was not painful, it was the few hours after. Imagine your worst sunburn on and amplify that by 5. I think people thought I was crazy as I drove home in Chicago with all the windows down in the middle of January, but the cool, crisp air was refreshing and a distraction from the pain. Hint bring some Ibuprofen with you and take it before you leave the office. It will help with the swelling and the pain once the numbing cream wears off.

Also make sure you have ice packs or the equivalent waiting at home and be diligent about icing every 20 minutes or so. I'm not going to lie my face looked like I had been in a minor fire. Since I responded so well due to my thicker skin, they went on a higher lever during my first treatment. I had it done on a Wednesday and by Friday was able to go to dinner and a movie with what looked like a minor sunburn. Pealing was very minor and much like the other gals it was brown in color. I found Aquaphor (found at your local drugstore) helpful in preventing infection and keeping the skin moist post lasar to be most helpful. Prior to my fist vist they took a photo of me as they wanted to use me in their marketing materials for a before and after results photo and I agreed to this. After 5 treatments over a span of 6 months I saw improvement of about 25%, which now years later have all but disappeared and most of the deeper scars are all back. Also, oddly I had never had broken capillaries, and they started to appear around the thinner areas of my face right after the first treatment. When I mentioned this, they admitted that sometimes this laser can do that. They suggested that I could have another type of laser treatment to get rid of those! Unreal huh? For about the first year I felt it was much improved, but I'm not sure if that was the Fraxel or the Botox and Restylane I was talked into during one of my subsequent visits. In retrospect, when these new procedures come out the Doctors are very excited about them, but the truth is they really don't know what the long term outcome will be for the majority of the patients. Five years later if I were to do it over again for me and my types of scaring, I would and should have had a more invasive procedure like dermabrasion followed by a strong chemical peel. In fact at a conference about a year later I met another Plastic Surgeon, with whom I consulted with. He was shocked by the other doctors choice for my particular scarring. Another hint- always get a second opinion! Oh yeah... remember the "before" picture they took and wanted to take the after? Guess what? They never asked to take the "after picture" for the practices' marketing collateral. I will let you guess why...Remember what I said about being a guinea pig! Seriously, I think for very minor scarring this may work, but for moderate to severe... not so much folks.

Reviewed on May 1, 2013

I had fraxel restore done in 2012 and I am going to have my second (first fraxel C02) treatment done in may this year.

I was very happy with my results, I would say about 20-30% improvement from 1 treatment. I've seen alot of negative reviews and "horror stories" and I feel bad and often think, who did these treatments?

I have vlogged my results on my youtube channel [link edited out] removed]

and showed my daily recovery. If you have any questions just let me know :)

by Nightwitch9 on 06/02/2015 21:18
by Nightwitch9 on 06/02/2015 21:19
by Nightwitch9 on 06/02/2015 21:20
K, SC
Reviewed on March 24, 2013

I'm 38 with years of mild pitted scarring in my cheeks & fine lines around mouth & just uneven skin all over. Have tried many things over the years with no luck. Decided to do series of 4 fraxel restore. Not painful & no real downtime, looked promising 1st week but then skin always back to normal after 2nd or 3rd week. Finished my 4th 3 wks ago and I see no improvement whatsoever. Now I wake up with new whiteheads every day. Not worth the 3400 I spent. Had high hopes & big let down.

Powerful. Proprietary. Proven.
  • Powerfully effective
  • Pharmaceutical grade
  • Guaranteed effective
  • Doctor/Dermatologist recommended
  • Used in acne clinics worldwide
  • 100% non-comedogenic
  • Fragrance-free & dye-free
  • pH balanced
  • Scientifically formulated for acne-prone skin
  • Developed by the experts at Acne.org