Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forrelli

Protein Shakes

so i've read some places that protein shakes are bad......what's everyone’s opinion on that? and if they are bad, why?? is it just if they have a lot of added sugar? or is it something else? i'm trying to gain more muscle and think that protein shakes would definitely help, but i don’t wanna take one if its gonna screw up my face even more. thanx!

so i've read some places that protein shakes are bad......what's everyone’s opinion on that? and if they are bad, why?? is it just if they have a lot of added sugar? or is it something else? i'm trying to gain more muscle and think that protein shakes would definitely help, but i don’t wanna take one if its gonna screw up my face even more. thanx!

lots of debate on this recently.. I take a protein shake with a mix of 3 different types of protein after every workout and its never broke me out. I also add flax lignans, and drink water after.. its important for your body to actually digest the protein not just fart/shat it out

well I also take protein shake (whey protein) But again i think protein shakes are full with toxins so it can couse acne..

I've been taking 3-4 scoops of Optimum Nutrition Whey protein for the past week, and no change in acne. The little back acne I still have is a bit irritated, but that's because I'm doing squats and the pressure irritates.

Before that, I was taking 1 scoop of generic whey protein for a year or so.

well I also take protein shake (whey protein) But again i think protein shakes are full with toxins so it can couse acne..

Can you specific when you says "toxins"

If you get a good quality, pure whey powder you shouldnt have a problem.

Hell, even if its not the greatest quality it shouldnt break you out.

Can you specific when you says "toxins"

If you get a good quality, pure whey powder you shouldnt have a problem.

Hell, even if its not the greatest quality it shouldnt break you out.

haha no one ever mentions what "toxins" they are speaking of, EVER, so dont bother.

Guest tired of this shish

How 'bout this: Is this trash can worthy??

IPB Image

I think that if you are taking in like 3grams of protein for every pound of your body you might have a problem. But the protein powder itself will not do anything to your skin that eating a steak wouldn't do. Protein is essential for muscle growth, and most people get confused and think protein powder is in the class of supplements, when it is really just a nutritional aid. So don't be worried, just don't over do it, anything in excess is not healthy.

I don't think preotein shakes are bad at all. And there are plenty of formulations that are basically sugar free (they'll contain 1-2 grams). Also, some manufacturers are even starting to use stevia( an all natural sweetener) so you don't have to consume aspartame or any other articifical sweetener.

I know ON makes a stevia sweetened shake. Also, trueprotein.com makes custom shakes so you can request stevia as a sweetener (PLus, trueprotein has great prices).

Also, don't buy protein from GNC or any stores because they mark up their products big time.

How 'bout this: Is this trash can worthy??

IPB Image

I'd avoid soy protein for many reasons.

I dont take soy protein just becasue i never had the chance.

Whats so bad?

Nonfermented is simply bad for you. All the hype from the media was that asians eat it all the time. But Asians don't eat tons of soy burgers and whatnot. They eat stuff like miso and tempeh, which is fermented.

The problem with soy is that it's estrogenic, it can mess up sexual health and early development in both males/females, and people like me are allergic to large amounts. I remember buying soy protein 2 years ago and getting ear infection symptoms for several hours after eating it. Not a coincidence because I haven't been sick in 15 years, or had a cold in a few years since I became health conscious.

Certain FDA scientists have openly opposed it's promotion, but it's a big business and money matters more than health.

Contains a statement from FDA towards the bottom:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461709&pageNo=0

Interview with the author of "The Whole Soy Story"

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=302poison2

whey protein works best for results. Dont overload and i dont think adding some protein will inflame acne.