Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
golfiscrap

Generic vs Normal accutane

If there was a difference in the medication reaction wise... then all dermatologist will prescribe the original Accutane.

Since there is none, Accutane can be prescribed in generic form.

If a derm prescribes accutane then the derm gets money from Roche for prescribing their brand of Isotrentinoin.

If there was a difference in the medication reaction wise... then all dermatologist will prescribe the original Accutane.

Since there is none, Accutane can be prescribed in generic form.

If a derm prescribes accutane then the derm gets money from Roche for prescribing their brand of Isotrentinoin.

That is NOT true. It is illegal in the United States and other countries for doctors to get a kickback for prescribing their prescription.

That is NOT true. It is illegal in the United States and other countries for doctors to get a kickback for prescribing their prescription.

Not money, but they get rewarded with other perks. vacations for example.

I just thought I'd point out that the drugs are not exactly the same. They are chemically the same drug, but in terms of dosage equivalence, not necessarily.

I did some research on this after I was on generic Accutane, and found out that the FDA does not uphold the exact same standards for generic drugs. They allow up to a 20% difference in bioequivalence. I asked my derm about his and she confirmed that she herself has noticed a difference in the dosage equivalence.

In other words, 40mg of generic does not necessarily equal 40mg of Accutane. Considering that the cumulative dosage effects long term remission, I think this is something of a concern.

Also I should note, that my mother mentioned that in her derm's office, there is a sign on the wall reading: "If it doesn't say Accutane, it's not Accutane."

Not money, but they get rewarded with other perks. vacations for example.

thats not very ethical

I just thought I'd point out that the drugs are not exactly the same. They are chemically the same drug, but in terms of dosage equivalence, not necessarily.

I did some research on this after I was on generic Accutane, and found out that the FDA does not uphold the exact same standards for generic drugs. They allow up to a 20% difference in bioequivalence. I asked my derm about his and she confirmed that she herself has noticed a difference in the dosage equivalence.

In other words, 40mg of generic does not necessarily equal 40mg of Accutane. Considering that the cumulative dosage effects long term remission, I think this is something of a concern.

Also I should note, that my mother mentioned that in her derm's office, there is a sign on the wall reading: "If it doesn't say Accutane, it's not Accutane."

Cheers. So il just go for the real/normal stuff. Its more expensive tho :cry:

The first time i took accutane was 4 years ago and I took the actual brand name (40mg for 5 months).. now this is my2nd course and i am taking the generic clavaris... my derm says theres not a difference but just to be sure i am taking 50mg for 5 months this time around and being careful to take it with fish oils and flax oils to absorb it fully. So far I have noticed all of the side effects so im guessing its working :D

I don't know whether or not there's a difference between brand name drugs and generic drugs, but I'd prefer to take the brand name.

I'm on Amnesteem 40mg's a day. So far so good! I don't know what it feels like to not have acne. I feel weird looking in the mirror sometimes because I have no acne. It's soooo great. So, Amnesteem is doing its job very nicely I must say.

I asked my derm about why she prescribes me generic all the time. She tells me that I can have Accutane prescribed to me but my insurance won't pay for it. She went on to explain that if I wanted to pay $500 or so dollars out of my pocket every month then she'll prescribe it for me. She also went on to explain that Amnesteem is the only Isotretinoin drug that is covered by insurance. Whether or not this is only in the state I live in, or if this is through out all America, I don't know.

But, the generic version is working great for me. So, I'm sticking to it. And if anyone else goes on the generic version of this drug, you'll love it!!!! I think it's probably all the same, just different names.

I've read in general that generic and brand are the same in terms of active ingredient. However, the way the pill is processed and produced is different. The generic pill is so cheap b/c the process in which it was made was less expensive to perform. Thus, the way it's absorbed into your body may be different than the brand-name since the process was of less quality. To make a super long stroy short: I was on Sprintec BC for 3 months with no results, and switched to Orth-Cyclen brand name. I think it has been making somewhat of a difference on my acne. So I guess you never really know until you try.

One word, it's the same shit!! For example buy a plain white t-shirt which is probably $3, if that t-shirt has Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren etc. printed on it it'll proly cost $30 if not more. Get it? :shock:

I've read in general that generic and brand are the same in terms of active ingredient. However, the way the pill is processed and produced is different. The generic pill is so cheap b/c the process in which it was made was less expensive to perform. Thus, the way it's absorbed into your body may be different than the brand-name since the process was of less quality. To make a super long stroy short: I was on Sprintec BC for 3 months with no results, and switched to Orth-Cyclen brand name. I think it has been making somewhat of a difference on my acne. So I guess you never really know until you try.

That may be true, but don't forget that a large portion of the cut costs are due to the lack of R&D on the part of the "generic" manufacturer.