Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
postfetalphase

I'm starting to think this isn't acne...

the last few months, I have been getting "acne" on my thighs/butt.... but lately I have been thinking it isn't acne. I just assumed since I seem to acne acne everywhere else....

What I get there are small, hard, red bumps... ranging from maybe 1 - 3 mm. They seem to take a very long time to go away. Many seem to have been there weeks, months even. It's not like it's just a few scattered... it's definately an eyesore. I haven't noticed any itching or anything with them.

Does anyone know what these could be?

Mayabe folliculitis? I remember reading on this board about a man with the same problem and he cleared himself (after years of trying) with sea salt. He mixed up strong salt water every couple days then applied it with a a cotton pad a couple times a day. He wasn really ecxcited about his discovery which came to him after being told by the dentist to rinse with saltwater after a procedure. maybe worth a try? at least its cheap and easy...

Mayabe folliculitis? I remember reading on this board about a man with the same problem and he cleared himself (after years of trying) with sea salt. He mixed up strong salt water every couple days then applied it with a a cotton pad a couple times a day. He wasn really ecxcited about his discovery which came to him after being told by the dentist to rinse with saltwater after a procedure. maybe worth a try? at least its cheap and easy...

Send us pics but please only your thighs! I might help you because i had follicultis too!

Hi, I'm the one who posted about using the salt water on my folliculitis in the other sea salt thread. Postfetalphase, it sounds like you have the same thing as me.

As far as the sea salt method, it helped some, but didn't cure it. I moved on to using high glycolic acid washes and lotions like Aqua Glycolic and Glytone and using a scrub brush (in order to exfoliate the skin cells off the hair follicles) and that seems to help a lot, but still, I would say, not totally cured. (One good thing is I haven't been getting boils, just red irritated bumps.)

Someone recommended to me using Face Doctor soap, which is made in China and kills the Demodex skin mite. She described the same symptoms in the same area (butt folliculitis) and after doing a lot of research, she started using this soap. It has cleared her up and the old marks are on their way to fading. Demodex mites live on human skin, but it seems like they may be the cause in our case, which is why antibacterial soaps and everything under the sun doesn't seem to cure our problem.

I ordered the soap off Amazon and have only used it for 4 days--I think it's too soon for me to make a post of results, but I will in a couple of weeks. I stopped using the Glytone wash and lotion, and now I am just scrubbing with the soap (I want to see how the soap works all by itself). I have to admit I am excited--my skin appears to be clearing; I have some old marks that need to clear and a couple of red marks, but the area overall and skin tone itself is looking good.

That's all I should say, because I don't want to give false hope, and I want to give the soap time, just in case a week or two from now I have boils and little red whiteheads all over. So, in summary, you may want to investigate this demodex mite issue--some sites say they are nothing to worry about and couldn't possibly be the cause of stuff like rosacea, but...well, I'm on the side that they have something to do with butt folliculitis.

Good luck!

I believe I have the same issue.

However from what I have been reading anti biotics are the best treatment - if you actually have folliculitus.

I also read that scrubbing actually irritates folliculitus further.

I am going to go see a derm after my exams and possibly get on some anti biotics.