Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello to all. I have been surfing the boards for months now but have never posted any questions. My last post didn't fair so well. So here goes my big problem: I have been suffering from cystic acne for a couple years now. My derm has decided that it is hormonal (I'll go along with anything). Anyways, she has put me on Yasmin. I am going on my third month of it. It seems to be started to help. Last month I didn't get a huge breakout right before my period.

But, much to my surprise, my insurance doesn't cover birth control. It is running $50 a month. Can I ask my derm to write a letter in hopes of getting a medical exception? I'm not taking it essentially for birth control purposes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ideas? Prior experience?

Hey! I have also been on yasmin for about 3 months also.. and i although i am on accutane, i think its helping me too. I dont know if there is a generic for yasmin but i am paying 40 dollars a month for mine and thats with insurance i believe. I know it stinks, but i guess thats the price to pay for clear skin. I would suggest to see your gyno because he gave me 3 months worth of samples. My old gtno retired but used to give me 6 months worth of my old BC to help make it cheaper. Best of luck!

Jeez, that really stinks that you have to pay so much for your BCPs. Why doesn't your insurance cover it? Is it affiliated w/the Catholic religion or something?

I get three packs each time I go refill for Yasmin, and it only costs me $27 for three months' worth. Thankfully, I have such good insurance. Otherwise, I might not be on Yasmin at all.

As far as a note from your doc explaining things, it couldn't hurt. I honestly don't see it changing anything, but what have you got to lose by trying, right? I say go for it, and see what happens. Worse comes to worse, you keep paying $50 for it, I guess.

I'm currently on Yasmin and can't say enough good things about it. With insurance I'm paying about $30 a pack or $70 for three months' worth. However, I skip the placebo week and go on to the next active pill (to keep my hormones level so that I won't break out, gyno's orders), so I'm paying about $1.43 a pill. BUT, it's worth it. I love Yasmin, and my oil production has slowed so much that I actually went three days last week without washing my hair, and it still looked great on the third day. (I know it sounds gross, but it's actually overwashing to wash your hair every day unless is excessively oily.)

I'm sorry to hear your insurance doesn't cover it. It's actually by state mandate if insurance covers BCPs. In Texas insurance companies are forced to cover BCPs.

Wow Springmore... I never thought about skipping the placebo pills. So your saying that you never get your period right? How is that working out for you so far? Are you planning on doing that permantly? I always thought skipping your period would be unnatural and mess your skin up. Hmmm it is interesting though. :think:

Wow Springmore... I never thought about skipping the placebo pills. So your saying that you never get your period right? How is that working out for you so far? Are you planning on doing that permantly? I always thought skipping your period would be unnatural and mess your skin up. Hmmm it is interesting though. :think:

In Dr. Geoffrey Redmond's book, The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman, he suggests not going on the placebo pills. He says it is not harmful.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

In Dr. Geoffrey Redmond's book, The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman, he suggests not going on the placebo pills. He says it is not harmful.

I thought you can only do that for 3 months and then you had to take the placebo pills. Although I did know a girl once who said that her doctor had her do that all the time like springmore. I wouldn't try it without discussing it with your doctor first.

Also there isn't a generic for Yasmin at this time because it's fairly new.

I'm very interested in the success rate for Yasmin--Especially in oil control. Can you all specify how many breakouts on average you get per week or month under the med? Is it true that the pill can help your hair have better health??

I must be the only person out there who has seen no difference in my skin on Yasmin. It has not helped me one bit--and I've been told mine is horrmonal as it is all concentrated on my chin. It is also a major sex drive killer for me. I really want off it, but I'm starting Accutane hopefully this Friday so I guess I have to wait until November when I'm all said and done with this crap.

Skipping the placebo pills has been great. If you read my signature, I'm currently on the 12th week of straight active pills. This means that I have not had my period for 3 months, and that my hormone levels have remained perfectly consistent every day, which is increasing the effectiveness of the DRSP (the anti-androgen, helping keep acne away) and keeping me sane, really. On OTC I was a neurotic freak, but on Yasmin I feel more like myself than I have in a long time.

There is absolutely no harm in skipping the placebo pill and only taking active pills. Actually, the idea behind the placebo pill is simply so that women would not get freaked out or feel unnatural and that they'd also have a sure-fire way to tell that they weren't pregnant. The period you get on the placebo week is not a period at all, but rather your body sloughing off a little bit of the uterine lining because of the dip in hormones. That's why periods on BCPs don't last as long and are much lighter.

I missed one pill a couple of months ago (and took two the next day) and experienced breakthrough bleeding every day for a few weeks. It wasn't terrible, though, just a bit of an annoyance. But it went away, and I've been doing fine.

The reason Seasonale has three months of active pills with a placebo week at the end of the three months is because, again, some women think it's unnatural to never have a period.

In all, there is no reason to ever take a placebo week on a monophasic BCP such as Yasmin (apart from the $$$). I've been loving it.

P.S. I'm planning on taking straight active pills until the insurance company comes a-knockin'.

Ladies please dont forget to wear protection!(Sun protection that is) I was on the pill for a few years and never wore sunscreen and now i have melasma on both cheeks.(the mask of pregnancy) Also ive never been pregnant and the derm said this is def from being on the pill and not wearing sunscreen.It sucks...like acne isnt enough to worry about right?Just wanted to make sure you know so you can make sure you wear sunscreen or even better just get makeup with it in it....thats what i do.

Fool in the Rain:

My mother used to get free meds for retired patients. I have also, at times without insurance, taken advantage of the free drug programs. They are on the internet.

I am not sure, but it could be that the drug company that prescribes it allows people to get free prescriptions. Find out the drug company and go to their site. They usually have lists of the meds they offer to those that can't afford them. You might have to give them proof you can't afford it, but that is why you are in this predicament, right?

If not, maybe try to go to planned parenthood. Even though you are using it for your skin, they may have free samples, or offer a discounted rate or something. I am sure with some research you may be able to find a resource to help you!

Good luck! Keep me posted!

it sounds like for most people yasmin is helping them??

thats not really the impression i got from before about it.. oh well if Diane 35 doesnt work i'll switch to yasmin.

thats not really the impression i got from before about it.. oh well if Diane 35 doesnt work i'll switch to yasmin.

I've been all over these boards recommending Yasmin to every female suffering from hormonal acne. I believe that it, along with dexamethasone and chemical peels, dramatically turned my skin around. And I want everyone here to experience clear skin again. It's such a blessing not to have to worry about your skin every second of every day.

Since most acne is hormonal and Yasmin blocks the hormones that cause acne, it makes sense that it would be so helpful for some. However, it may not work for everyone.

I've found that the longer you use it, the better anti-androgenic results you get, so don't give up a month or two into it!

I've been all over these boards recommending Yasmin to every female suffering from hormonal acne. I believe that it, along with dexamethasone and chemical peels, dramatically turned my skin around. And I want everyone here to experience clear skin again. It's such a blessing not to have to worry about your skin every second of every day.

Since most acne is hormonal and Yasmin blocks the hormones that cause acne, it makes sense that it would be so helpful for some. However, it may not work for everyone.

I've found that the longer you use it, the better anti-androgenic results you get, so don't give up a month or two into it!

Which doctor prescribed these for you. I am especially curious about the dexamethasone. It's interesting that you are going on accutane after you get clear. Do you not think that Yasmin can just be continued with good results? My daughter saw saw a repro endocrinologist yesterday who's eyes crossed when I mentioned spironolactone. I sent him a book on the subject today to educate him lol. Anyway, I am hoping my daughter will go on Yasmin but I am waiting for the doc to tell her this is a good idea.

Another question I have is, do you have to wait till the Sunday after your period to start? If you take them continuously, would you still have to wait?

I must be the only person out there who has seen no difference in my skin on Yasmin. It has not helped me one bit--and I've been told mine is horrmonal as it is all concentrated on my chin. It is also a major sex drive killer for me. I really want off it, but I'm starting Accutane hopefully this Friday so I guess I have to wait until November when I'm all said and done with this crap.

i was on it for 7 months..it did nothing for me..i came off it because i was starting to break out ridiculously during my periods and my periods were v.painful..i also had just about no sex drive on it, like you said..

Fool in the Rain-

I work in a pharmacy, and we dispense a LOT of birth control, including Yasmin. We've had several people that have to be on birth control for medical reasons, and I heard of a few of them getting an official diagnosis sent to the insurance company along with a letter, but the insurance company said regardless of condition, they don't cover it. You could always try, but the chance of it working is very very slim in my opinion.

Which doctor prescribed these for you. I am especially curious about the dexamethasone. It's interesting that you are going on accutane after you get clear. Do you not think that Yasmin can just be continued with good results? My daughter saw saw a repro endocrinologist yesterday who's eyes crossed when I mentioned spironolactone. I sent him a book on the subject today to educate him lol. Anyway, I am hoping my daughter will go on Yasmin but I am waiting for the doc to tell her this is a good idea.

Another question I have is, do you have to wait till the Sunday after your period to start? If you take them continuously, would you still have to wait?

My dermo put me on my current regimen as a way to prevent the initial breakout on Accutane. Originally, a few months ago, we had planned on me being on my current regimen during the 30-day waiting period for Accutane, and discontinue the regimen after beginning Accutane. After 30 days, however, I was completely clear (and still am, knock on wood!). The chemical peels and dexamethasone gave me great results, and it had been so long since I'd had clear skin (well, several months, but it felt like a lifetime!) that I didn't want to start Accutane just 40 days before my wedding and risk my skin getting worse again. So my dermo adjusted my regimen so that I can stay on it a little longer--I'm upping the strength of each chemical peel, and she switched my dosage of dexa to every other day so that I would not develop immunity to it. Then the plan was to start dexa daily again two weeks leading up to the wedding. Well, today marks two weeks, so today I began taking the dexa daily again!

My current regimen is extremely aggressive, and my dermo did not recommend my staying on it for as long as I have. After the wedding and when I return from honeymoon, I will cut out the dexa and the doxy and the chemical peels and see if my skin stays clear on just the Tazorac and the Yasmin. If it does, then I won't have to go on Accutane (which would be great--I'm not a huge proponent of the drug). If it doesn't, however, Accutane will be my only long-term solution for clear skin. I suspect that I will have to begin Accutane, because while I'm clear right now, my skin feels extremely unstable. It's still very oily, and I have a few closed comedoes that won't go away. I have a hunch that when I discontinue the chemical peels, my skin will be right back where it was a few months ago.

If I do begin Accutane, it definitely won't be with clear skin, unfortunately, as I will only start it if my skin doesn't remain clear on Taz and Yasmin. But that's a chance I'm willing to take. However, I'm not willing to experiment with my skin just two weeks away from getting married! Doxy and Dexa are definitely not meant for long-term use, and the chemical peels are way too invasive and expensive to continue forever.

When I started Yasmin, I was in my third (last) week of active pills on the OTC. But since I planned to take it continuously, with no placebo week, my gyno told me that I could begin that very day with the Yasmin (especially since I was so unhappy on OTC). She also said that I could wait until the Sunday after my period, but that would have been unnecessary. I started immediately, and I've been on it continuously ever since, with no period.

I hope your daughter has good luck with the Yasmin. I've been loving it, and I'm spreading the gospel! I believe that my oil problems may be a little more severe than can be totally fixed with Yasmin, but it has dramatically decreased my oil production.

I get my Yasmin all free from the doctor and because my mom works in a gyne practice. I think since October 2003 I have bought my pills from the pharmacy ONCE. I see a reproductive endocrinologist though and he gives me 6 months worth every time I go because I see him every 6 months. I have enough other pills I have to pay for other than Yasmin. I tried OTC-Lo in January 2006 because the people tried to tell me they weren't going to get samples anymore and my acne broke out badly and I had bad mood swings. I went to the doctor and he told me they still get Yasmin and I got loaded up. I almost got up and did a dance!

I was on OTC for 3 motnhs and I swear it made me crazy so I stopped. Now I'm super afraid that my acne is going to come back because the OTC completely cleared it..I was just really scared of blood clots do you think I was being irrational?