Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enviel

Blackheads & Redness

Hi Everyone,

I`m 21 years old and had mild-moderate acne since i was 12. Nothing seemed to help until i started using BPO 1x per day and a gentle cleanser for sensitive skin. (my skin is really sensitive and i get red spots all over my face easily. The typical problems of a natural redhead. Embarassed )Now my skin is almost clear. My only problem are the blackheads all over my nose. I tried clear up strips but they don't seem to remove any. I also can't feel them if i touch my nose. They seem to be deeper inside of my skin. Together with the blackheads my nose looks always red expecially on the alar wing of my nose. Rolling Eyes I'm also getting a few (small) white heads on my forehead from time to time.

I wish there was a way to get rid of the redness & the blackheads. Any suggestions?

I could post my daily routine here but i don't think that you would know what i'm talking about cause i'm from germany. But I'm using a gentle cleanser that reduces bacteria & i'm pretty happy with it.

I tried the brush exfoliation method already with a soft brush but it made the redness even worse.

Thanks alot

Hello Enviel,

First of all I'm not a native English speaker, so please excuse my English.

For your blackhead problem, I would advise against the use of nose strip. They can remove the blackheads on your nose, but at the same time they irritate your pores. Most of the time these annoying blackheads will come back again in even larger number. Use a gentle scrub with Salicylic acid would be a better alternative in my opinion. Another choice would be Mendelic acid, which has received very high reviews from the forumers here. I haven't used it before so I couldn't comment on it.

Now for your nose redness problem. From your description, I believe you are suffering from a skin problem called Seborrheic Dermatitis. Please visit this website for details. It is not a type of acne and the treatment is vastly different. And don't worry, it's easier to treat than acne :) . Actually I am suffering from this problem, and if this is your problem too, I will write a bit more about it.

Good luck, and stay positive. ;)

Hi Kafka,

Thanks alot for your reply & don't worry! I'm also no native english speaker... your english is fine. :angel:

Yes.. i found the nose strips way too irritating, too. My nose was always red for an hour after i used them. Yesterday I bought an exfoliating lotion with 2% salicylic acid which i apply 2x a day. Until now I didn't see an improvement but it's most likely too early to say if it helps or not.

The link you posted seems pretty interesting. I never heard about Seborrheic Dermatitis before. From what i've read so far it could be possible that my redness problem goes back to that. I'd be really glad it you could give me some more infos about it.

Thanks alot! ^^

Enviel

I have the same problem, been using mild exfoliating thingy for a week now (2x/week, no saliclycic acid in it, couldnt find that in the GB supermarket :razz: ), dont see much improvement yet but i hope soon i will.

ps: i'm no native english speaker either ;)

You are welcome. I am glad to be of help.

If your nose goes red for an hour after using the strip, it's not good. Normally the redness would go away in a few minutes.

The Salicylic acid lotion you bought wouldn't work overnight. For most people it takes about a month to actually see the result. And you may experience an initial breakout for using the acid, so don't be too discouraged if you see a few whiteheads poping out.

If you are suffering from Seborrheic Dermatitis, you would see a red patch that goes around the nose, and it could itch (for me it didn't). The redness would stay for months and it wouldn't fade away like acne. And when you get up, a lot of oil would be there around the red patch. Do you have these symptoms?

For me, I use Aloe Vera 100% gel along with a prescription drug called Ketoconazole 2% cream to combat the problem. The redness around the nose is a lot less visible in around 3 weeks. I've tried Sodium sulfacetamide but it didn't work as well, but it could be different for you. Salicylic acid and glycolic acid lotions work too but the effect is not significant. Even if all the above didn't work, there's a last resort - steroid. According to my dermatologist it works extremely well for this problem. Anyway, it's best to see a dermatologist before you try anything above.

By the way, if you think you have Seborrheic Dermatitis, I think it's better that you stop manual exfoliating the nose area. It would only irritate the nose more.

I have the same problem, been using mild exfoliating thingy for a week now (2x/week, no saliclycic acid in it, couldnt find that in the GB supermarket :razz: ), dont see much improvement yet but i hope soon i will.

ps: i'm no native english speaker either ;)

Hi markvmenen,

For a mild exfoliating scrub you may try Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub. It has 2% Salicylic acid in it. You could use it twice a day if you didn't have sensitive skin.

Hope that help.

Hi kafka,

Thanks your reply!

Let me try to explain a bit more detailled how the redness on my nose looks like: My nose looks a bit red in general but the worst redness is under my nose and on my left & right alar wing. It's there since always and doesn't seem to go away just as you said. I always thought it could be caused by the blackheads but now that you told me about Seborrheic Dermatitis i really have the feeling that it could be something like that. But it isn't itching & doesn't feel oily in when i wake up in the morning. I remember when i asked my dermatologist some time ago and he just said its irritated/sensitive skin... but who knows? He also didn't care to take a closer look...

About the Aloe Vera 100% you are using... I have an Aloe Vera plant at home. Could i just use the gel fron my plant it or is it a special 100% gel you are using?

I also noticed a change since i'm using the 2% salicylic acid. The skin on my nose feels way more oily than usual & gets shiny. Is that normal? :eh:

I wonder if i should use Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub, too. Just checked for more infos about it.. It sounds promising. At the Moment I'm using an antibacterial cleanser from sebamed which is left on the skin for 5 min.

Thank you! ^^

Enviel,

It does sound like we share the same problem. The area around and under my nose used to be very red too, and I was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis. Maybe you could mention this problem specifically next time you see your dermatologist, I am sure you would have a more fruitful discussion with him.

I think it helps researching a bit before we see our doctors, coz you know, they don't really care about our face as much as we do :angel: . Sometimes they do have the "I don't care" "let it slide" attitude :mad: .

For the persistent redness on your nose, do you know the cause of it? Is it acne scar or enlarged blood vessel?

You could use natural Aloe Vera, of course. I use it sometimes too. If you intend to buy Aloe Vera 100% gel, maybe you can consider the one from Fruit of the Earth. It didn't contain any alcohol, unlike those from other brands. It's not expensive too (around 3 euro I think).

I use a 2% Salicylic acid lotion to treat the blackheads on my nose too. It gets a little bit more oily but not by much. I use the lotion along with Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub and my blackhead problem has improved a lot. Maybe you can try that too if your skin are comfortable with Salicylic acid (2% lotion is the maximum strength).

Good luck! :angel:

Hi kafka,

Thanks again for your fast answer! ^^ I will definetly ask my Doc about Seborrheic Dermatitis!

I think the cause of the redness are broken blood vessels. Even if don't see any (just a permanent redness all over) but I never had acne there. Just blackheads... I really don't think that it could be scars.

I checked around a little and found out that Neutrogena sells an anti blackhead srub in germany, too. (where i live ^_~) If it's the same then i don't have to order it from the internet. Could you do a quick check if the ingrediences from the german product are identical with the one you are using?

Aqua, Cetyl Alcohol, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Polyethylene, Polysorbate 60, Salicylic Acid, Steareth-21, Jojoba Esters, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Xanthan Gum,, Agar, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Menthyl Lactate, BHT, Parfum, Mmica, Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, DI 15850 - [FPT0851]

Thanks alot again! :angel:

Enviel,

You are very welcome. Actually I have been lurking around in this forum for months now, and it's my turn to contribute and help others out :angel: .

I am not sure about this, but if the redness is persistent and is caused by visible blood vessels, then it might be Acne Rosacea. Acne Rosacea and blackheads don't normally appear at the same area, still I think it's worthy to check it out just in case.

The ingredients you listed for the scrub is about the same as the one I have. I think what's important for a facial scrub is the concentration of the active ingredient (Salicylic acid in this case) and the roughness of the beads. As you have "very sensitive skin" it's advisable not to use a scrub that is too rough to your skin. Maybe you can check out the reviews of the product you found in drugstore.com. They are usually fairly accurate and to the point.

Hope it helps. :angel:

Uh Oh! :confused:

...since i'm using the 2% salicylic acid on my nose and the other areas where i have a few blackheads my skin gets very dry & red. It reminds me of a sunburn... Its also also full of those little white flakes. I tried to get rid of the dryness with aloe vera but i have the feeling that its even more dry now. I really wonder if i should go on using salicylic acid. Maybe my skin is way too sensitive? Or prolly i just need a very good moisturizer? I really dunno what to do. I don't want my skin to get worse again. :cry:

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Uh Oh! :confused:

...since i'm using the 2% salicylic acid on my nose and the other areas where i have a few blackheads my skin gets very dry & red. It reminds me of a sunburn... Its also also full of those little white flakes. I tried to get rid of the dryness with aloe vera but i have the feeling that its even more dry now. I really wonder if i should go on using salicylic acid. Maybe my skin is way too sensitive? Or prolly i just need a very good moisturizer? I really dunno what to do. I don't want my skin to get worse again. :cry:

Drop the SA if it's causing irritation. Look into Mandelic Acid, it's supposed to work miracles. Lion Queen is a wiz with all that, consider PM'ing her or starting a thread asking for her help and advice.

Many salicylic acid products contain irritants. What are the other ingredients in your lotion? Also, many of them have too high of a pH (over 4) to work properly.

Manuel exfoliation is probobly what ahs worked the best IMO for removing blackheads .. try finding a product that is only Salicylic Acid .. its soemthing you would have to roder offline .. and for redness try buying a Vitamin C serum .. i hear they work really well and i am going to buy some .. also ... Enzyme COQ10 its really greta for calming your skin i use Enzyme COQ10 Facial Cleansing Milk and Perfecting Facial Toner both can b bought at a local GNC.

hi enviel,

your problems sound similar to mine although mine are probably a bit more severe. anyway the only thing i have used that popped out the blackheads was accutane but i would not recommend that. salycilic acid has never done much for me, nor has glycolic - mostly they seem to leave the skin redder (i have redness on nose cheeks/sides of face and forehead and very large but mostly smooth blackheads on my nose as well as periodic small pimples all around my face) so i am going to use mandelic acid which has been spoken of very highly here. unfortunately since i haven't started yet i can't tell you how it works for me, but it is supposed to be a mild but very strong exfoliant that also reduces redness and acne, as well as removes blackheads and tighten pores - sounds too good to be true, but many posters here have made these claims. the one i am going to get is here: http://skincarerx.com/review_box.html?prid=10 . it is also supposed to be good for all kinds of skin, sensitive/light/dark whatever. i will post later on about how it goes for me and i hope you will update as well with whatever regimen you choose.

Hi treybien,

Yes... Salicylic Acid was absolutly terrible for my skin. All it did was leaving my face red for hours/days where i applied it. To be honest I'm thinking about buying mandelic acid since some time but the only things that stop me are the high cost of the product + the shipping cost/ shipment time to germany. :confused: I couldn't find anything that contains mandelic acid over here. :cry: I'll see what i'll do. Prolly i can find a more cheap alternative with mandelic somewhere. :pray:

I'd be glad if you'd keep posting here once you recieved your mandelic acid. I'm really interested to know how it works for you.

Thanks alot!! :angel:

hi enviel,

your problems sound similar to mine although mine are probably a bit more severe. anyway the only thing i have used that popped out the blackheads was accutane but i would not recommend that. salycilic acid has never done much for me, nor has glycolic - mostly they seem to leave the skin redder (i have redness on nose cheeks/sides of face and forehead and very large but mostly smooth blackheads on my nose as well as periodic small pimples all around my face) so i am going to use mandelic acid which has been spoken of very highly here. unfortunately since i haven't started yet i can't tell you how it works for me, but it is supposed to be a mild but very strong exfoliant that also reduces redness and acne, as well as removes blackheads and tighten pores - sounds too good to be true, but many posters here have made these claims. the one i am going to get is here: http://skincarerx.com/review_box.html?prid=10 . it is also supposed to be good for all kinds of skin, sensitive/light/dark whatever. i will post later on about how it goes for me and i hope you will update as well with whatever regimen you choose.