Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

<SIMPLIFIED-STYLE ENGLISH>Okay, im too lazy right now to talk like I usually do in this (and many other) websites so im just gonna talk simplified-style here. okay, here are some ingredients, which homemade ones are good and which are bad...

toothpaste

cod liver oil (you drink it)

bleach (i heard it is good)

paint stripper (??)

rust remover (ekkk!!)

acetone

alcohol

vinegar

clearisel ultra cream

strong acid (such as hydrochloric)

baking powder

most of these arent in the thingy on this page so its alright. gimme your feedback</SIMPLIFIED-STYLE ENGLISH>

toothpaste

cod liver oil (you drink it)

bleach (i heard it is good)

paint stripper (??)

rust remover (ekkk!!)

acetone

alcohol

vinegar

clearisel ultra cream

strong acid (such as hydrochloric)

baking powder

NOOO :redface: . Different things work for different people but you've got to be gentle. Honestly, people think that these harsh products will work because they are strong and contain alcohol etc, but they strip your skin of its natural oils, thus forcing skin to produce even more oil and leading to buildups and clogged pores.

Toothpaste - An old one, personally I found it did nothing but made my skin red and sore although some do claim that it drys up the odd pimple. I'd give it a pass.

Cod liver oil - I'd say yes to this one, a spoonful a day! Or you can get tablets, which I would prefer seeing as the oil tastes minging :D It's a source of essential fatty acids which are good for skin, hair and nails and general wellbeing. I take a multiblend tablet of different essential fats and they do help.

Bleach - Goodlord I would say NOOOO :shock: wouldn't it be way too harsh. it would burn and strip your skin. Stay away.

Paint Stripper - Likewise, leave it well alone. Far too strong.

Rust remover. ekk indeed, again, too strong. Gentle is the key word.

Acetone - too harsh, again :redface:

Alchohol - Well it's in most acne products but I think it's too drying and irritating. It can make redness worse and actualy burn the delicate skin. For spot treating a product containing alchohol may be suitable but I wouldn't rub it into surrounding skin.

Vinegar - Alot of people find apple cider vinegar helpful, taken internally and used externally. It's meant to be good for red marks and I'd say it would dry up a small pimple. Just don't slather it on :D

Clearasil Ultra Cream - I tried it, did nothing for me but other people may claim it did wonders. I hate all clearasil products, they usually make the problem worse.

Strong acid - NONONO :naughty::redface: Stay right away.

Baking powder - I think I've heard rather alot about people using it as an exfoliating scrub, do a search for it in some of the forums and you'll find out some more, but I think it can be somewhat helpful

So where did you find that list? There are plenty of home remedies out there. Here's a link to some gentle, mostly natural kitchenmade solutions http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/beauty/acne-home-remedy.html

And if you do a search on google for natural homemade acne remedies there should be a wide range. In my opinion, and what has worked for me, is to be natural! Use gentle products that won't strip your skin of oils and leave it feeling dry. Spot treat only the pimple and perhaps use aloe vera for redness. This doesn't work for anyone, different products suit different skins, but I think everyone should be as gentle as possible in general, the skin is a delicate thing!

Good luck, sorry for rambling and somebody else shall probably give you more sensible info :D

I hope you guys realize there is something in toothpaste that actually causes acne its probably the worst thing you could do, i'll try to find my book and see what it is exactly.

toothpaste: BAD. Contains lots of skin irritants, plus the flouride in it can trigger breakouts for some.

cod liver oil (you drink it): GOOD. Very nutritious; while it may not work miracles, it always is good to do

what you can for the body, both inside and out.

bleach (i heard it is good): BAD. Who ever thought of this?

paint stripper (??): BAD. Sounds like something druggies would try.

rust remover (ekkk!!) BAD. If it's strong enough to remove rust, what would it do to your skin?

acetone: BAD. Sounds like whoever thought up this list decided no skin was better than acneic skin.

alcohol: BAD. I understand it is in many acne treatments, but it shouldn't be. Alcohol not only causes

irritation, it also prematurely kills dead skin cells, littering the skin with more cells than it can

slough off and thus creating more clogged pores. In addition, it interferes with the skin's natural

healing process as well as the skin's ability to protect itself from bacteria.

vinegar: Maybe. However, it can be very irritating. Vinegar acts as a light disinfectant and may have

some exfoliating properties, but many see better results and less irritation from traditional over-

the-counter treatments.

clearisel ultra cream: Maybe. I don't know anything about it.

strong acid (such as hydrochloric): BAD. Did you know hydrochloric acid burns holes through carpet?

Granted, strong chemical peels such as lactic acid peels might be very

beneficial, but should probably get them done professionally.

baking powder: GOOD. When mixed with a gentle gel cleanser, it can make a great manual exfoliant.

Just about every one of these home remedys suck completely. However the cod liver and vinigar can be good for you. If you want to know some good home remedys see my page in holistic section: "for those of you who dont use chemicals"

Oh yeah and stay clear of clearasil washes- they tend to make your skin more acne prone and I wouldnt be on acne.org in the first place if I hadnt tried it.

okay, the cod liver oil seems to be the best out of the choices. i bought a bottle today and am planning to drink 5 tablespoons a day forver. that sounds nice. the vinegar (tastes awaful) so i cant do that though. as for the other ones, i was wondering becoz they might remnove oils but i guess theyre too strong, lol. anwyay, thanks,

how about...

bleach (whioch contains hydrogen peroxide)

plant-grower (contains salicyclic acid)

Hey guys.. I think you meant Baking SODA...NOT Baking Powder.

..mix a bit Of BAKING SODA with water or soap/water and message to exfoliate dead skin. Be gentle, as it is very abrasive.

titanic..say NOto Bleach and Plant Grower...Tulips sprouting out of a nostril is not pretty.

Why is HCL (hydrochloric acid) "bad"? I have tried everything and spent thousands on spa, lasers, dermatologists, etc.

I got fed up. HCL is in the stomach, thought it can't be that bad, can it?

But...HCL is totally unpredicable. I have totally removed a 30 year old scar that was never sutured. I have no idea why this worked. Looks great. Yet other areas treated don't look so good. I still have not recovered yet, so perhaps these will improve, too.

HCL is terrible. The pain is unbearable. Lidocaine helps, applied just before.

I was clueless on what to do. Lotsa info on chemical peels everywhere, but not the actual procedure! Is the phenol or whatever acid applied uniformly?

For HCL, I used a fine artist's brush (#0 and #1) and carefully "painted" all the tiny holes, wrinkles, and pits with the HCL (Muriatic acid). I thought the skin would "rise" up to match the level of the surrounding skin, and it actually did in some spots. Others, not so good. Using HCL is VERY unpredicable. Applied huge amounts to cheeks with great pain, but the scars just said hah! hah! Applied tiny amounts elsewhere and what a mess!

I had an 80 micron laser peel done a few months ago. GREAT pain, unimpressive results. I have had nearly 14 Smooth-Beam laser treatments. The dermotologist used the highest power handpiece; the one used for cutting off moles, but this just left my face with a rosey glow. He said two words at the end of my empty wallet: chemical peel. No can do, can't handle the alleged white splotchiness.

Most of my skin is leather I think. No sun damage or wrinkles in excess, just 30 year old acne scars which I MUST get rid of.

If I ever die and my body is exhumed, only my face will be left hah hah!

Sorry...guess this is a rant. New to this board, so I will look around a bit more. Sorry for taking up your time

HCL yes in your stomache but your stomach secretes a constant mucous and without this mucous well the HCL and Pepsin would ultimately eat you away from the inside out. Soooo if it has the power to do that what the hell makes you think it won't totally destroy your face?!

Out of the list IMO ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) is the best to use .. dries up acne, evens skin tone, exfoliates (Malic Acid aka AHA), antiseptic, has enzymes/minerlas/vitamins, gets rid of redmarks and regulates the pH of your skin.

Baking Soda is also very very bad because according to the pH scale it is alkaline which is above 7 (7 beign neutral) our skin is naturally acidic I think 5.5 or 5.0 acidity, this is bc the acidic later (acid mantle) on our skin fights off and kills bacteria. Everytime you use an alkaline product you damage that layer causing you to be much more susceptible to acne bc of the bacteria that isn't being killed. Also alkaline remove essential oils and mess up the pH of your skin hence your skin produces more oil to help restore the acid mantle you continue to destory therefore you have more sebum on your skin making you look oily.

I hope you guys realize there is something in toothpaste that actually causes acne its probably the worst thing you could do, i'll try to find my book and see what it is exactly.

toothpaste has sodium lauryl sulfate which causes acne and irritation.

please.. anyone reading this post.. don't try bleach on your face! (or any of the other extremely harsh items listed)

you're just asking for trouble..

gentler things tend to work better for skin anyway!