Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm curious to know what would happen if I stopped any sort of acne treatment and just washed with a mild cleanser (Cetaphil) twice a day. Like a normal person might do. Currently I'm doing a form of jessifoliation. I have a mild microderm cloth that i use to exfoliate every other day. I follow with some neosporin and just wash with cetaphil and moisturize with jojoba oil in the morning. I have those skin colored bumps all over my face, the kind you may not be able to see unless the light hits you right...or i should say, hits you wrong. I also have some large pores, red marks, very oily skin (pretty much my whole body is oily) and a zit once in a while. The sides of my chin are always flaky and i can see those skin bumps pretty well around that area. So I'm wondering what would happen if I stopped exfoliating and using any cream. My theory is that I have put my skin through hell since my acne began (7 years ago, I am now 23) and that if i stopped then perhaps it would become some what normal. Maybe the exfoliating is doing more harm than good. Although it makes my skin feel great, I'm thinking that it's only a temporary improvement. If I go a couple of days without doing it the flakes come back. It's as if I'm starting over everytime, and after a couple of months i haven't seen an improvement in the bumps or in anything really. If by simply washing I get rid of the flakes and bumps it would be worth it. The problem is that I figure it will take 3-6 months for my face to triumph and become normal, and during that period i'll be unbelieveably miserable and want to try something different (like always...i'm very impatient). Then again, i've never really tried anything for 3-6 months, so maybe i have come across some sucessful treatments but didn't have the patience to stick with them. Anyway, has anybody tried this? Does anybody think it's worth a try?

I did something very similar to you. I am 20 yrs old with mild acne and my derm gave me differin about 2 years ago. I stopped using it b/c all it did was tried the shiat out of my face with small improvements. (I actually think it kind of destroyed my skin) Anyways, now i only wash once a day with Dove bar soap and my skin is much better than it used to be. Granted i am probably slowly growing out of it as i ony really get small whiteheads nowadays, i still think that using harsh cleansers just destroys your skin.

I have an identical twin brother who has never used anything except mild cleansers and his face can tan very easily. (he also has mild acne) Me however, my face has been destroyed so much by harsh products like differin that it doesnt really tan like his does. I dont really understand it because he has the same amount of acne as me. I wish i never had gone to the piece of sh*t derm and used the differin. Anyways, im just hoping my skin clears more and more every day.

So to answer your question, if you have mild acne then "Yes" do it but if its a little more severe it might make you breakout only to use mild cleansers once a day. Maybe if you use mild cleansers twice a day it will help, but seriously i think twice a day is too much washing, especially for mild acne.

well, i'm gonna give it a go. i've got more to gain then lose from this. plus it would just feel so nice to wash like a normal person. I'd say i have very mild acne. My main problem and annoyance is the oilyness/flakiness and the small bumps. it'll probably take 6 months for my skin to heal itself, but this time i'm gonna stick with it.

i advise just waash+use moisteraser-it only does good for your skin, i mean no cleansers just moisterasier.

I did something very similar to you. I am 20 yrs old with mild acne and my derm gave me differin about 2 years ago. I stopped using it b/c all it did was tried the shiat out of my face with small improvements. (I actually think it kind of destroyed my skin) Anyways, now i only wash once a day with Dove bar soap and my skin is much better than it used to be. Granted i am probably slowly growing out of it as i ony really get small whiteheads nowadays, i still think that using harsh cleansers just destroys your skin.

I have an identical twin brother who has never used anything except mild cleansers and his face can tan very easily. (he also has mild acne) Me however, my face has been destroyed so much by harsh products like differin that it doesnt really tan like his does. I dont really understand it because he has the same amount of acne as me. I wish i never had gone to the piece of sh*t derm and used the differin. Anyways, im just hoping my skin clears more and more every day.

So to answer your question, if you have mild acne then "Yes" do it but if its a little more severe it might make you breakout only to use mild cleansers once a day. Maybe if you use mild cleansers twice a day it will help, but seriously i think twice a day is too much washing, especially for mild acne.

How long did you use the Differin? In what way do you think it made your skin worse? I am currently using it - it seems to be working ok on my forehead and around my nose where I just get blocked pores, but I think its making my chin worse (the only place I sometimes get inflammed breakouts). I had no acne on my chin when I started, but after the second week on Differin it started breaking out and hasn't really stopped for the last 3 1/2 weeks. I'm currently debating whether I want to continue using it on my chin, so I was curious to hear about your experience with this med. Thanks!

I only wash my face with Noxema everytime I take a shower and my skin is really healthy. Everyones skin is different, but it's worth a shot.

Three months ago I stopped using all acne treatments (Retin-a micro 0.10%, Duac gel and orthotricyclen) and began treating my skin the way I did when I was 14.....way before I got my first pimple. I was just washing with a mild cleanser (Cetaphil or Dove for Sensitive Skin Bar soap). The Cetaphil was worse than the Dove. Then I began a bet with my coworker that washing my face three times a day wouldn't cure me of acne or oily skin. I was right and within a few weeks my face was covered in thousands of whiteheads....within the month my cysts were back. I won the bet (and got 20$ and a free sushi lunch), and then I began washing with Cetaphil again. I used it for a few weeks and my skin got even worse........the whitheads became even more wide spread and some gave rise to pustules and papules and an occasional cyst.

I alternate between Dove and Cetaphil now, and I only wash and use a sunscreen during the day.

My acne is now completely nodulocystic with some pustules and papules thrown in the mix. I had a total of 19 cortisone injections in the past two weeks.......

I'm actually doing all this to get a prescription for Accutane, since my topicals weren't keeping me as clear as I'd have liked.....I just hope I get the Rx before this shit scars.....

I didn't break out right away.......it took about 5 weeks to develop those whiteheads, and about 13 weeks for it to become nodulocystic acne...........

I'm actually doing all this to get a prescription for Accutane, since my topicals weren't keeping me as clear as I'd have liked.....I just hope I get the Rx before this shit scars.....

so you're not scarring from the cortisone injections? If u're scarring then it doesn't seem worth it. Why not switch derms? Some are very tane-happy

well, it's been a little more than 2 days since i've exfoliated and/or used anything on my face (just washing with cetaphil twice a day). Like I expected, my face is very flaky. I've been off work for the past few days, but start back tomorrow. Hopefully if i wake up early enough it'll give my face enough time to "oil up" and somewhat hide the flakes before work. If not then I may have to put some jojoba oil on, which i bought a few weeks ago. Even though my face is flaky at the moment, it does feel better not having any meds on it. It also looks better, aside from the flakes, which I believe are the reason it looks better (hides a lot of the red marks). I'm thinking of buying something to nourish my skin. I heard that placnenta creams are great for repairing dull, damaged skin. Or maybe emu oil. Any suggestions on those? I guess i'll also need a sunscreen since i work mostly outside. Any recommendations?

Willow, to anwer your question i just think differin completely stripped the top layer off of my skin and now it seems like my face is constantly red. Its not really that red as recently people have been commenting on how good my skin looks, but sometimes people will be like "you look like you got a little sun b/c you have racoon eyes (like what you get when your face gets a little red when your wearing sunglasses in the sun)". Anyways, i had a friend who differin worked really well for, but i would say he had moderate acne.

I dont know what to tell you as everyone is different and i think that my skin is overly sensitive anyways. I only take 1 shower a day now and wash with Dove sensitive skin bar and i still feel like my face is dry sometimes. Doesnt make sense, but i say stick with it for a little while longer and see what happens. Differin is supposed to make your skin get worse before it gets better as told to me by my derm. Good luck!

Oh, i also wanted to mention that my derm had me using Clindamycin topical lotion during the day and that stuff sucked. It made my face sooooo greasy and made me really self conscious. Haha, i can remember one night i was at my friends house and my identical twin brother said "damn i can watch tv off the reflection from your face". It was embarassing as i was on the couch with my girlfriend. He thinks he's funny sometimes but he will probably just get paintbrushed later for his comments anyways. So if your using differin at night and clindamycin in the day i would suggest maybe you think twice about the clindamycin but stick with the differin for a few more weeks just to see if your skin improves overall. Just remember your skin could be much better now than when you started but since we look in the mirror constantly everyday it seems like miniscule improvements that leave us feeling like we dont want to continue. People need to be patient with new medications to give them time to work.

Willow, to anwer your question i just think differin completely stripped the top layer off of my skin and now it seems like my face is constantly red. Its not really that red as recently people have been commenting on how good my skin looks, but sometimes people will be like "you look like you got a little sun b/c you have racoon eyes (like what you get when your face gets a little red when your wearing sunglasses in the sun)". Anyways, i had a friend who differin worked really well for, but i would say he had moderate acne.

I dont know what to tell you as everyone is different and i think that my skin is overly sensitive anyways. I only take 1 shower a day now and wash with Dove sensitive skin bar and i still feel like my face is dry sometimes. Doesnt make sense, but i say stick with it for a little while longer and see what happens. Differin is supposed to make your skin get worse before it gets better as told to me by my derm. Good luck!

Oh, i also wanted to mention that my derm had me using Clindamycin topical lotion during the day and that stuff sucked. It made my face sooooo greasy and made me really self conscious. Haha, i can remember one night i was at my friends house and my identical twin brother said "damn i can watch tv off the reflection from your face". It was embarassing as i was on the couch with my girlfriend. He thinks he's funny sometimes but he will probably just get paintbrushed later for his comments anyways. So if your using differin at night and clindamycin in the day i would suggest maybe you think twice about the clindamycin but stick with the differin for a few more weeks just to see if your skin improves overall. Just remember your skin could be much better now than when you started but since we look in the mirror constantly everyday it seems like miniscule improvements that leave us feeling like we dont want to continue. People need to be patient with new medications to give them time to work.

Thanks for the info. I was prescribed the clindamycin too - and I had the same problem with the shine. Try being a woman and having to put makeup on over that crap. nothing will stick to your skin! Since starting the differin, my chin looks far worse than it ever had (everything else is pretty clear though). I started out with really mild problems - blocked pores/noninflammatory breakouts on my forehead and nose. My chin had NO active acne when I started - now it has multiple spots that are taking forever to clear up. Its not easy going from basically clear to a full on breakout. Not sure what I want to do at this point!