Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would like to try some tca for the cross method but i really didn't understand how to calculate %.

I don't order from the ebay, i have access to a medical supplier and i have medical grade trichloroacetic crystals.

Now i would like to know what does mean 100% TCA.

Isn't 100% just crystals? I suppose not

As many said, 100% is using the weight/volume (so 50 grams of TCA and 50ml of water means 100%).

TCA is very soluble in water.. using weight/volume it should be possible to do much more than 100% but also 300.. 400.. up to 1000% and over (100 ml can dissolve more than 1 kg of tca)

So why don't use 200% or 300% or more? it should work better for scars.. or not?

i'm a bit confused..

I would like to try some tca for the cross method but i really didn't understand how to calculate %.

I don't order from the ebay, i have access to a medical supplier and i have medical grade trichloroacetic crystals.

Now i would like to know what does mean 100% TCA.

Isn't 100% just crystals? I suppose not

As many said, 100% is using the weight/volume (so 50 grams of TCA and 50ml of water means 100%).

TCA is very soluble in water.. using weight/volume it should be possible to do much more than 100% but also 300.. 400.. up to 1000% and over (100 ml can dissolve more than 1 kg of tca)

So why don't use 200% or 300% or more? it should work better for scars.. or not?

i'm a bit confused..

200%??!! That would burn your skin and mess up your pigmentation. I dont think it comes in that strength anyways.

I don't think there is such a thing as 200% lol? You can't get stronger than full strength. Then again, I don't know anything about tca peel...

Why not?

I mean if % is weight/voume, you can easy dissolve 200 grams of TCA in 100 ml of water.

So you have 200%.

i think that will supersaturate the water, and you`ll have crystals at the bottom of the bottle (that will not dissolve)

i think that will supersaturate the water, and you`ll have crystals at the bottom of the bottle (that will not dissolve)

No they don't saturate... believe me.

No they don't saturate... believe me.

Believe me, they do saturate. Just perform a simple thought process here. Are you saying that if you had a 100 pound block of TCA in crystal form and one drop of water that the one drop of water would dissolve the whole block of TCA? Of course not. Use some common sense. Any solid that dissolves in water will saturate the water if enough of that solid is used. Water can only hold so much dissolved material. Seriously anyone who has taken chemistry and physics knows this.

Believe me, they do saturate. Just perform a simple thought process here. Are you saying that if you had a 100 pound block of TCA in crystal form and one drop of water that the one drop of water would dissolve the whole block of TCA? Of course not. Use some common sense. Any solid that dissolves in water will saturate the water if enough of that solid is used. Water can only hold so much dissolved material. Seriously anyone who has taken chemistry and physics knows this.

I have difficult to express myself in english. I'll explain better

When for example you put 70 grams of glycolic acid and 30 grams of water .. how much is the % using the weight/volume ratio ? 70 %?

Any solid that dissolves in water will saturate the water if enough of that solid is used.

Water can only hold so much dissolved material. Seriously anyone who has taken chemistry and physics knows this.

Of course but for TCA you can dissolve more than 1 kg of crystals in 100 ml of water before saturate.

If you put 1000 grams of tca and 100 ml of water.. what % is the tca?!

When you say grams of glycolic I take it you mean in its raw undiluted form. If so the answer would be no 70 grams of raw glycolic with 30 grams of water does not equal 70% glycolic.

This is an example (I am unsure of the actual amounts). Lets say you want a 70% salt water solution. You find that 250 mL of water will be saturated with 35 grams of salt crystals. This would be 100% salt solution. To make a 70% solution all you need to do is take 250 mL of water and combine it with 0.7 times the 35 grams of salt so doing the math it would take 24.5 grams of salt to make a 70% salt solution.

The only time you will have 100% TCA is when you dissolve enough crystal such that the crystals will no longer dissolve, exactly like crzyakta stated. Like I said it will saturate.

Any solid that dissolves in water will saturate the water if enough of that solid is used.

Water can only hold so much dissolved material. Seriously anyone who has taken chemistry and physics knows this.

Of course but for TCA you can dissolve more than 1 kg of crystals in 100 ml of water before saturate.

If you put 1000 grams of tca and 100 ml of water.. what % is the tca?!

When you say grams of glycolic I take it you mean in its raw undiluted form.

Exactly

If so the answer would be no 70 grams of raw glycolic with 30 grams of water does not equal 70% glycolic.

Good. Here comes the problem.

If is not 70% how much it is? Depends up the solubility of glycolic?

Cause all 70% glycolic acid (this is what label means) bottle i see in medical environment are 70 grams glyc/30 gram water and they have the label '70% glycolic acid solution'.

Now, you can't dissolve more than 70 grams of raw glycolic acid with 30 grams of water cause it saturates in this ratio.. so if crystal won't dissolve anymore , as you say , you have 100% glycolic acid..

No, if you read label (all labels), you can read 70%..and not 100%.

The only time you will have 100% TCA is when you dissolve enough crystal such that the crystals will no longer dissolve, exactly like crzyakta stated. Like I said it will saturate.

So, the % depends of solubility ? When it saturates is 100% ?! If you see the example with glycolics it seems not.

You say of course here but earlier you said it won't saturate. Are you now agreeing it will saturate? If so congratulations.

No, of course it will saturate.

I was referring to my previous post of 200grams/100ml which don't saturate TCA in water.

Maybe it just so happens that 70 grams of glycolic and 30 gram of water is 70% glycolic. That is only if 100 grams of glycolic happens to saturate 30 grams of water. Otherwise someone at the medical environment screwed up, which isn't impossible.

Here's a question. Have you ever seen any solution that said over 100%? HELLO.

What you might have seen also is that the label actually meant 70 grams of 100% glycolic solution (not 70 grams of pure glycolic in dry form) and 30 grams of water were mixed which would mean 70% glycolic solution.

Maybe it just so happens that 70 grams of glycolic and 30 gram of water is 70% glycolic. That is only if 100 grams of glycolic happens to saturate 30 grams of water. Otherwise someone at the medical environment screwed up, which isn't impossible.

Here's a question. Have you ever seen any solution that said over 100%? HELLO.

HELLO!

I found the answer from pubmed.gov :)

Formulation of trichloroacetic acid peeling solution: a bibliometric analysis.

Vossen M, Hage JJ, Karim RB.

Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Since the beginning of this century, trichloroacetic acid solutions of various concentrations have been used for chemical exfoliation. These solutions have been prepared by using four different formulas. To prepare a 50% solution, for instance, water may be added to 50 g of trichloroacetic acid crystals until 100 ml of solution is obtained (weight-to-volume solution). Alternatively, 50 g of water may be added to 50 g of trichloroacetic acid crystals (weight-to-weight solution), or 50 g of trichloroacetic acid crystals may be solved in 100 ml of water (weight-plus-volume solution). Finally, a saturated trichloroacetic acid solution (or "100% solution") may be diluted by an equal volume of water (dilution). Depending on the method used, these so-called 50% solutions contain 40 to 71 weight-to-volume percentages of trichloroacetic acid. From a review of 120 publications on trichloroacetic acid peeling that have appeared since 1926, it was concluded that the authors of 87 of these publications (73 percent) did not report their formula for the trichloroacetic acid solution. Any one of the four methods was reported to have been used by the 33 authors who did report their formula. Eight of 10 internationally reputed pharmacopeias were found not to include the formula of a trichloroacetic acid solution. Proper evaluation of results and prevention of complications of trichloroacetic acid chemexfoliation is only feasible if both the concentration and the formula of trichloroacetic acid solution are reported by the author. Practitioners who use a trichloroacetic acid solution need to establish that the concentration of the solution they apply corresponds with that of the solution reported in the literature.

That does say that there are actually 4 different ways to mix 50% solution and each one of them will have a different actually strength and concentration. The absolute method would be to use the dilution/saturation method. I think this difference in calculating concentrations might be why some people are and aren't see results from their CROSS treatments. Since no one sells anything higher than 100% TCA it is safe to say most everyone who markets this stuff uses the dilution method.