Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi everyone,

if you don't care to read my history just go down to the *****. i know what a pain it is when someone just rambles on and on....

i've been on this board on and off for years and have spent an eternity, it seems, fighting acne. always, i'd find something that decreased acne for a short while and then a month later it would come back with a vengence. i've tried EVERYTHING (and that's NO exaggeration)! i laugh every time i hear someone on these boards say they have tried such and such OTC product and one Rx and they call if "everything". well, besides all the OTC treatments and washes i've been to 5 dermatologists and they all have prescribed me all kinds of crazy combinations...at least what i can remember: tetracycline (4 years), doxycycline (2 years), retin-a, differin, retin-a micro, tazorac, clindamycin, dynacin, ACCUTANE (4 rounds!!!), sulfur masks, ProActiv...all these did was burn my face off.

when i finally figured out that prescriptions weren't cutting it i switched to holistic health. at one time i was doing Perricone's prescription (so expensive!), Leo kleissen's method, liver flushes, Master Cleanse, Colonix, detox teas of all combinations, supplements like fish oil, MSM, Vit A, chromium, panthotenic acid, bee pollen, LivaTone, milk thistle, aloe vera drinks, Garden of Life probiotics...

then i started the New West Diet, vegetarianism, and progressed to raw foods (made me feel great but too much work)

i felt like i was going crazy. people at school probably thought i was a health nut even though i didn't LOOK like it with pimply skin.

then, someone on this board mentioned they had sugar sensitivities and that would trigger his acne and only when he did long distance running where he was burning off his glucose did he ever have clear skin.

i thought about it for a while. i'd known about the glycemic index and the link with sugar but with so many other new regimens to try it was only a matter of time before i made it to this one.

acne is so often called "diabetes of the skin". glucose is one of the most damaging substances in your body if it is left to circulate for prolonged periods of time, say, when you are insulin resistant or have type I or type II diabetes. it causes nerve damage in your extremities and can cause generalized inflammation. some people just exhibit this in the form of acne. there are probably people on this board who are more qualified in explaining the science of this (like SweetJade) so i won't go into this further.

i found that Colonix worked to reduce acne but it was never completely gone. i'd have about 6-7 cysts on my cheeks everyday but that was still an improvement. i still use Colonix fiber and will continue to use it for regularity (oh yeah, before this i went to the loo maybe once every 2-3 days).

anyhow, i ran across Dr. Mercola's site about metabolisms and what kind of food one should eat based on their reactions to certain food groups. vegetarianism, with it's high carbohydrate index, was actually killing me and my skin. i would sleep for hours after a meal because my body just couldn't handle the food without protein. so i started eating more meat. (if you haven't seen the short videos "Meet your Meat" you should. it's an eye opener) but i had to admit to myself that i was more concerned about my health and buy organic, free range chicken/eggs, and beef.

i also start something i had never done consistently in my life because i was too ashamed to show my face under flourescent lighting - exercise. the first week i broke out in the most acne i had to deal with for a long while. 10-15 cysts along the left side of my face near my jawline (where i never had acne before). it was awful. it was there for so long and was so inflamed that i actually wore powder to cover it up when i went to sleep (although i would never admit it to my boyfriend ;) ) i HAD to also stop my habit of picking them and slowly, so slowy, they went away.

because i had taken accutane so many times i decided to help my liver by taking milk thistle extract (the liquid form) 2-3 times a day for about 3 weeks. i also started taking fish oil supplements, hyaluronic acid, and a good multivitamin on a semi-daily basis.

now it has been one month and my face is clear of cystic acne. NOT just clear but my skin feels so much more resilient and the red scars are gone.

sorry about how disjointed this is...i have an exam tomorrow and i'm procrastinating as much as i can but panicking at the same time (know that feeling?)

in case everyone is confused by what i've written here's the basic outline of what i have found to work:

* Colonix - this only reduced my acne but i feel it was an important step in the direction to a healthier body

* NO picking/absolutely NONE - i denied picking for so many years but you know that you do! so stop! this only keeps your skin in chronic inflammation mode and even though it may disappear for a while you have damaged the inner layers of your skin.

* exercise - sweat it all out, use up your extra glucose (i'm a sucker for chocolate and now the sugar in it does not affect me unless i stop working out)

* use gentle products - no treatments; i use nivea oil control cleansing gel, st. ive's apricot scrub (1-2 times weekly to exfoliate LIGHTLY), jojoba oil at night as needed, and a L'Occitane daily sun creme.

* a little bit of sun - no frying and use an sunblock

* fish oil - it is a poor substitute for inflammatory processes in your body so it can actually decrease inflammation

* milk thistle - 2-3 times a day

it seemed like this worked overnight and for the first time in my life someone actually told me i had nice skin. imagine that!

please msg me if you have any personal questions or clarifications.

hi everyone,

if you don't care to read my history just go down to the *****. i know what a pain it is when someone just rambles on and on....

i've been on this board on and off for years and have spent an eternity, it seems, fighting acne. always, i'd find something that decreased acne for a short while and then a month later it would come back with a vengence. i've tried EVERYTHING (and that's NO exaggeration)! i laugh every time i hear someone on these boards say they have tried such and such OTC product and one Rx and they call if "everything". well, besides all the OTC treatments and washes i've been to 5 dermatologists and they all have prescribed me all kinds of crazy combinations...at least what i can remember: tetracycline (4 years), doxycycline (2 years), retin-a, differin, retin-a micro, tazorac, clindamycin, dynacin, ACCUTANE (4 rounds!!!), sulfur masks, ProActiv...all these did was burn my face off.

when i finally figured out that prescriptions weren't cutting it i switched to holistic health. at one time i was doing Perricone's prescription (so expensive!), Leo kleissen's method, liver flushes, Master Cleanse, Colonix, detox teas of all combinations, supplements like fish oil, MSM, Vit A, chromium, panthotenic acid, bee pollen, LivaTone, milk thistle, aloe vera drinks, Garden of Life probiotics...

then i started the New West Diet, vegetarianism, and progressed to raw foods (made me feel great but too much work)

i felt like i was going crazy. people at school probably thought i was a health nut even though i didn't LOOK like it with pimply skin.

then, someone on this board mentioned they had sugar sensitivities and that would trigger his acne and only when he did long distance running where he was burning off his glucose did he ever have clear skin.

i thought about it for a while. i'd known about the glycemic index and the link with sugar but with so many other new regimens to try it was only a matter of time before i made it to this one.

acne is so often called "diabetes of the skin". glucose is one of the most damaging substances in your body if it is left to circulate for prolonged periods of time, say, when you are insulin resistant or have type I or type II diabetes. it causes nerve damage in your extremities and can cause generalized inflammation. some people just exhibit this in the form of acne. there are probably people on this board who are more qualified in explaining the science of this (like SweetJade) so i won't go into this further.

i found that Colonix worked to reduce acne but it was never completely gone. i'd have about 6-7 cysts on my cheeks everyday but that was still an improvement. i still use Colonix fiber and will continue to use it for regularity (oh yeah, before this i went to the loo maybe once every 2-3 days).

anyhow, i ran across Dr. Mercola's site about metabolisms and what kind of food one should eat based on their reactions to certain food groups. vegetarianism, with it's high carbohydrate index, was actually killing me and my skin. i would sleep for hours after a meal because my body just couldn't handle the food without protein. so i started eating more meat. (if you haven't seen the short videos "Meet your Meat" you should. it's an eye opener) but i had to admit to myself that i was more concerned about my health and buy organic, free range chicken/eggs, and beef.

i also start something i had never done consistently in my life because i was too ashamed to show my face under flourescent lighting - exercise. the first week i broke out in the most acne i had to deal with for a long while. 10-15 cysts along the left side of my face near my jawline (where i never had acne before). it was awful. it was there for so long and was so inflamed that i actually wore powder to cover it up when i went to sleep (although i would never admit it to my boyfriend ;) ) i HAD to also stop my habit of picking them and slowly, so slowy, they went away.

because i had taken accutane so many times i decided to help my liver by taking milk thistle extract (the liquid form) 2-3 times a day for about 3 weeks. i also started taking fish oil supplements, hyaluronic acid, and a good multivitamin on a semi-daily basis.

now it has been one month and my face is clear of cystic acne. NOT just clear but my skin feels so much more resilient and the red scars are gone.

sorry about how disjointed this is...i have an exam tomorrow and i'm procrastinating as much as i can but panicking at the same time (know that feeling?)

in case everyone is confused by what i've written here's the basic outline of what i have found to work:

* Colonix - this only reduced my acne but i feel it was an important step in the direction to a healthier body

* NO picking/absolutely NONE - i denied picking for so many years but you know that you do! so stop! this only keeps your skin in chronic inflammation mode and even though it may disappear for a while you have damaged the inner layers of your skin.

* exercise - sweat it all out, use up your extra glucose (i'm a sucker for chocolate and now the sugar in it does not affect me unless i stop working out)

* use gentle products - no treatments; i use nivea oil control cleansing gel, st. ive's apricot scrub (1-2 times weekly to exfoliate LIGHTLY), jojoba oil at night as needed, and a L'Occitane daily sun creme.

* fish oil - it is a poor substitute for inflammatory processes in your body so it can actually decrease inflammation

it seemed like this worked overnight and for the first time in my life someone actually told me i had nice skin. imagine that!

please msg me if you have any personal questions or clarifications.

Does this work for blackheads too?

Im not sure about exercise I mean quite a lot of people who do sports at a young age seem to have acne.

thanks for sharing all of that malia! i know it takes a lot of time to write all of that, and i appreciate you sharing with us. i've tracked this topic so i'll be able to refer to it later, since you say some great stuff. overall it seems like we're taking similar approaches, although with slightly different products, but the same idea. take care!

I had a thought occur to me about the creator of that metabolic type theory... I think whoever devised it got protein mixed up with fat. Protein isn't a source of energy like fat and carbs are, and high protein foods also happen to be high in fat... Either way I agree that some people seem to do better on carbs, some better mixed, some better on fat / protein. Personally I think I do best mixed, I starve to death if I eat a vegetarian diet that has no olive oil, avocadoes, coconuts or other high fat plants...

You don't think eating for your 'metabolic type' or adding meat back into your diet had anything to do with it?

hmm i thought i had tracked this topic but it never notified me that i had any responses...

anyway, to answer asher2 mmm maybe not for blackheads. you could try!

rubber sheep: liver flushing (olive oil and grapefruit juice flush) didn't do much for me. i have only done 3 flushes sporadically so i can't say for sure that it would help in the long run. though, i did break out AFTER each flush (Herxheimer reaction, i suppose). msm DID seem to help me heal but not significantly enough for me to say it definitely helped.

also, i don't follow the metabolic diet exactly. i just used it in addition to my eating habits. i TRY to include more protein and fat (remember some fats are good for you and some are bad. i try to add in good fats/oils like flax, sunflower, borage, and cod liver.

remember4 no problem! i appreciate that some people are actually reading it! haha

zidane exercise may not be a factor for everybody (since glucose tolerance may not be an issue for everyone) but i know for ME, taking into account my culture, past eating habits, and how i felt directly after high carb meals that controlling MY sugar levels was key. i know there has been research on high sugar levels or abnormal (and even normal) sugar spikes after eating that increase sebum production (if only transiently) in skin which could affect amount of acne.

cjb i added meat back into my diet a few years ago and it did nothing significant for my acne. only the cleansing, exercise, milk thistle, and cod liver oil seemed to have the most dramatic results.

hope this helps!