Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tomorrow

Acne/coated tongue

I've been having a nasty long term problem with getting a coated tongue. It's sick looking. I use a tongue scraper up to 3 times a day along with brushing but it keeps coming back. I changed what I eat back in April to try and help my skin.

Started to eat way more vegetables and I cut back on all dairy products like cheese and eggs and carb stuff like pasta. My skin stopped developing new acne and I had no active pimples but I also noticed my tongue was allllllllllllll clear, no nasty coating.

I'm not into torturing myself and not eating everything I like so in the last week I had some cheese filled ravioli with parmesan on top and some other dairy carb foods. My tongue got coated again and I got a few active pimples.

Anyone know why the two are showing up together?

A white coated tongue has been said to be a related to candida. You may want to look into that. If you decide you are a likely sufferer of that particular illness, I'd suggest continuing with the low carb diet and add in some antifungals like raw garlic, coconut oil and oregano oil as well as probiotic supplementation.

I've been having a nasty long term problem with getting a coated tongue. It's sick looking. I use a tongue scraper up to 3 times a day along with brushing but it keeps coming back. I changed what I eat back in April to try and help my skin.

Started to eat way more vegetables and I cut back on all dairy products like cheese and eggs and carb stuff like pasta. My skin stopped developing new acne and I had no active pimples but I also noticed my tongue was allllllllllllll clear, no nasty coating.

I'm not into torturing myself and not eating everything I like so in the last week I had some cheese filled ravioli with parmesan on top and some other dairy carb foods. My tongue got coated again and I got a few active pimples.

Anyone know why the two are showing up together?

I heard of people who have that correlation before. It's really interesting because a coated tongue is something you can directly observe unlike what is going on inside your diegestive tract. If like you, people use a tongue scraper and brush regularly its a great sign to pay attention to. In Asia many medicine men look at the tongue as the first sign of a digestive problem (such as a dairy sensitivity/allergy or other digestive issues). Digestive problems in many cases also contribute to acne.

I've read that coated tongue is a symptom of liver dysfunction. If that's true then it can definitely be linked to acne.

A white coated tongue has been said to be a related to candida. You may want to look into that. If you decide you are a likely sufferer of that particular illness, I'd suggest continuing with the low carb diet and add in some antifungals like raw garlic, coconut oil and oregano oil as well as probiotic supplementation.

How would I have gotten candida? Where does it come from and does everyone have it?

I think its really weird that days I have a coated tongue I have active acne as well. The times when my tongue is clear usually when I eat mostly veggie dishes and fruit my acne goes down or disappears.

Another thing, if you have a dairy allergy or sensitivity (even a mild case of being lactose intolerant that most people have no idea they are) your tongue can become coated because of your overloaded digestive system. That can be linked to acne as well.

How would I have gotten candida? Where does it come from and does everyone have it?

I think its really weird that days I have a coated tongue I have active acne as well. The times when my tongue is clear usually when I eat mostly veggie dishes and fruit my acne goes down or disappears.

Candida is always present in the gastrointestinal tract. "Good" bacteria usually keep it in check. MANY things can contribute to not enough friendly bacteria and thus an overgrowth of candida or other "bad" bacteria. Over-use of antibiotics is a common reason for acne sufferers. Another prevalent cause is a diet too high in sugars. Some people seem to be able to handle more carbs than others; maybe due to blood type, metabolic type, ancestry, I don't know. I have candida imbalance, which I believe is a result of being a vegan and thus, eating too many carbs, EVEN THOUGH I ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY ATE WHOLE GRAINS AND VEGETABLES AS MY CARB SOURCE.

askshelley.com (read the FAQs) and

wholeapproach.com have a lot of useful info about candida. You will always find conflicting dietary guidelines for candida. You must avoid all sugars, gluten grains, and most dairy for awhile. Things like whole non-gluten grains (quinoa, amaranth), sweet potatoes, fruit, kefir and butter you pretty much have to test for yourself and see if you react. Or avoid them for awhile and add them in slowly and see what happens.

Taking anti-fungals (grapefruit seed extract, oregano oil, etc) without following the diet is a waste of time and money and some people say it leads to the candida evolving and becoming more resistant.